101 replies to this topic

#41 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:15 PM

View Postgrudlian., on 09 December 2017 - 11:05 AM, said:

The currently in theatres I can see being an issue for others because it's expensive for a podcast.

I just read this again and it sounds like I'm side eyeing picking Disaster Artist. I wasn't. Considering this podcast's role in the movie and The Room in general, focusing on Disaster Artist is an excellent use of this podcast.

View PostFister Roboto, on 09 December 2017 - 09:27 PM, said:

ANYWAY, without giving too much away for anyone that hasn't seen it yet, June plays Robyn Paris, who was the second actress cast as Michelle in The Room

This threw me because, for some reason, I thought June played the actress playing Lisa. I spent way too long thinking June completely transformed herself into the role. I was amazed because it looked nothing like her...until I saw June in the background of a scene. Then I realized I'm an idiot.

But the Disaster Artist is phenomenal. I was really worried from when I first heard about the movie. I didn't see how you make a comedy about a comedy and actually be good. I just didn't see how it could be funnier than The Room. But it's so so so good. Even better than the reviews in my opinion.

I don't want to come across as though Tommy Wiseau is some misunderstood genius and The Room is a secret masterpiece or anything like that. It humanizes him very powerfully. It presents him (and I'm curious how accurate this is) as someone who really did bring out other people's desire to fulfill their own dreams. I spent a large part of the movie on the verge of tears because of how well Greg, Tommy and their struggles were portrayed. It makes me appreciate The Room and Tommy Wiseau in a different way than as total incompetence on screen.

#42 Society Max

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:22 PM

View PostRyan Sz, on 10 December 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

I guess with it being a weird movie about making a movie they just decided to throw in any old trailer.

You are so right... I just remembered that they also played the SDCC Teaser Trailer for Ready Player One wich I saw back in late July when it was uploaded to/posted on youtube

#43 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:14 PM

So, I definitely had the trailer for that movie with the kid in the foreign jail, but otherwise, since I saw it at Alamo, it was the same three trailers they've been showing for a bit (I, Tonya, The Shape of Water, aaaaand one other I can't remember because I just kind of space out because I've seen them so many goddamn times)

View Postgrudlian., on 10 December 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

I don't want to come across as though Tommy Wiseau is some misunderstood genius and The Room is a secret masterpiece or anything like that. It humanizes him very powerfully. It presents him (and I'm curious how accurate this is) as someone who really did bring out other people's desire to fulfill their own dreams. I spent a large part of the movie on the verge of tears because of how well Greg, Tommy and their struggles were portrayed. It makes me appreciate The Room and Tommy Wiseau in a different way than as total incompetence on screen.

I'm definitely a sucker for a good friendship story, and even though this one is completely nutzo, the core of it is Greg and Tommy's friendship. And I found that part really well done (and I might have even teared up once or twice as well).

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 10 December 2017 - 05:03 PM, said:

I think the movie made Sestero a bit more likeable. In the book he was very critical of Tommy and goes into "The Room" production being kind of already over it. (And I was like, "Dude, you can say no. No one is forcing you.") I liked him hoping the movie really would be good. Although in the book there is also a moment where they go see "The Talented Mr. Ripley" (because Greg's friends think Tommy is obsessed with Greg like Matt Damon in the movie) and after seeing it Tommy gets mad and decides to write his own movie. I would've liked that to be included. Maybe they couldn't get the rights?

That's not really the impression I got from Sestero in the book. I felt like by the time he finally took over with Mark, he was kind of exhausted by all the Tommy-ness of everything. And on top of that, he basically had to answer for Tommy to all the cast and crew, and there just really weren't any answers for it. And then there's the fact that it was clearly written while he was still bitter about both the movie and his relationship to Tommy. It sounds like he's come around on that, and honestly, I'm really looking forward to Best F®iends because it looks absolutely bonkers.

And thanks for the kind words/welcome back, everyone. Things have been....strange over the last few months, but everything starting to even out now, so I'm definitely going to try to be around more.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#44 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:44 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 10 December 2017 - 08:14 PM, said:

So, I definitely had the trailer for that movie with the kid in the foreign jail, but otherwise, since I saw it at Alamo, it was the same three trailers they've been showing for a bit (I, Tonya, The Shape of Water, aaaaand one other I can't remember because I just kind of space out because I've seen them so many goddamn times)

It was probably The Post.
And welcome back, Fister!

#45 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:24 PM

I just read this again and it sounds like I'm side eyeing picking Disaster Artist. I wasn't. Considering this podcast's role in the movie and The Room in general, focusing on Disaster Artist is an excellent use of this podcast.

This threw me because, for some reason, I thought June played the actress playing Lisa. I spent way too long thinking June completely transformed herself into the role. I was amazed because it looked nothing like her...until I saw June in the background of a scene. Then I realized I'm an idiot.

But the Disaster Artist is phenomenal. I was really worried from when I first heard about the movie. I didn't see how you make a comedy about a comedy and actually be good. I just didn't see how it could be funnier than The Room. But it's so so so good. Even better than the reviews in my opinion.

I was surprised that they completely cut out the fact that there were two full casts for this film, and that Sestero was basically the third person asked to play Mark, rather than him just being given the part by Tommy. They made a slight hint to it with Tommy firing Paul and Seth Rogen before the trip to SF, but it is WAY more bonkers in the book with how Greg has to handle all of that shit. I was also kinda put off by
Spoiler
I not only recommend reading Greg's book but also The Ultimate Guide to the Room which goes way in depth to the making of the movie and interviews a lot of people involved with the movie, some obviously very bitter towards Tommy.

That's not really the impression I got from Sestero in the book. I felt like by the time he finally took over with Mark, he was kind of exhausted by all the Tommy-ness of everything. And on top of that, he basically had to answer for Tommy to all the cast and crew, and there just really weren't any answers for it. And then there's the fact that it was clearly written while he was still bitter about both the movie and his relationship to Tommy. It sounds like he's come around on that, and honestly, I'm really looking forward to Best F®iends because it looks absolutely bonkers.

I got the same thing from the book as it seemed Greg was trying to separate himself from this person, who while he had helped him was also trying to leach off of the success that he was able to find in life. I think anyone in that situation would be exhausted, more so with a person like Tommy. I'm alsosalivating to see both I, Tonya and The Shape of Water because both look incredible.

View Posttomspanks, on 10 December 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

It was probably The Post.

That's the movie I think will play possible ruiner for this movie simply for the fact it's a Spielberg film starring Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep about historical political moments, which would be really unfortunate as this year Best Actor should be either Franco or Gary Oldman for Darkest Hour as both transformed themselves into their respective roles.
2018 DLM Challenge: 133 movies (120 new)
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"Everyone is a fucking idiot in this movie!" - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#46 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:47 PM

Also I need a gif of Franco as Wiseau dancing to "Rhythm of the Night" in order for my birthday vacation to be complete and I am praying that a special feature for the home video release is a shot-for-shot remake of the film starring The Disaster Artist cast.

#47 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:47 PM

I definitely think there are things to appreciate about it. It's incredibly difficult to get a movie made, to learn to do it all yourself, to market it and everything. I work in books and it's a lot easier to self-publish a novel or memoir than to get a movie made, and sometimes having done it is the only reward you need. Plus it has brought a lot of joy to people, whether that was the intended outcome or not.

And Sestero said in the podcast he was able to go all over the world to film festivals, and was getting royalties. So I don't think making it was FUN for the cast and crew, but at least they were able to get something from it as well? (Although I suppose people like the real Sandy--who were not given credit for their work--might be justifiably miffed.)

That's not really the impression I got from Sestero in the book. I felt like by the time he finally took over with Mark, he was kind of exhausted by all the Tommy-ness of everything. And on top of that, he basically had to answer for Tommy to all the cast and crew, and there just really weren't any answers for it. And then there's the fact that it was clearly written while he was still bitter about both the movie and his relationship to Tommy.

I meant I found it more likeable that in the movie Greg is very "yay you're doing your thing! Good for you!" and in the book he is not the original Mark and Tommy has to buy him a car to convince him to do it? Sure he was relentlessly pursued by Tommy and exhausted but... I don't know. I like how the movie character is a bit more of a dreamer. Like it's understandable in the book (which has a more mocking tone?) but I like what they did in the movie? Maybe I"m not being clear...

#48 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:02 PM

View PostRyan Sz, on 10 December 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

That's the movie I think will play possible ruiner for this movie simply for the fact it's a Spielberg film starring Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep about historical political moments, which would be really unfortunate as this year Best Actor should be either Franco or Gary Oldman for Darkest Hour as both transformed themselves into their respective roles.

This is the reason why the predilections of the Oscars really annoys me. Those movies, especially when it comes to the acting, are rightly described as "Oscar bait," which I think is sad because, hell, who has contributed more to the craft of film acting in the last forty years than Hanks, Streep, and Oldman? Put Anthony Hopkins, Pacino, and De Niro in there are you have some of the greatest contributors to the form in history. And on top of that, who has contributed more to the culture of the 20th Century, especially of film, since the 1970s than Spielberg? Yet we see trailers for The Post and Darkest Hour and we KNOW they're the kind of films the Academy drools over, so when the do win the Oscars, it lessens their accomplishments AND makes us bitter that films like Lady Bird and Disaster Artist don't win (those still might, especially Lady Bird). It's like Pixar: for every Pixar Oscar, I am there grumbling and criticizing them for winning YET ANOTHER award while a lesser known animated film falls by the wayside. Do Hanks or Streep or Spielberg NEED another Oscar? No. Do they have a huge head start because the most talented people want to work with them and they get first look at the best scripts? Well, yes. But does that make the films they do make any less great? I hope not.

So... I don't know. Awards for artistic accomplishments are inherently unfair? WHAT AN ORIGINAL IDEA, QUASAR! Next you are going to tell us that Box Office receipts do not directly correlate to a film's quality!
"Warning: Detected synaptic seepage. Neural failure within 24 hours... Welcome to Newark."
- Johnny Mnemonic (1995)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#49 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

View PostQuasar Sniffer, on 11 December 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

So... I don't know. Awards for artistic accomplishments are inherently unfair? WHAT AN ORIGINAL IDEA, QUASAR! Next you are going to tell us that Box Office receipts do not directly correlate to a film's quality!

#50 Cameron H.

Cookin' With Potatoes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,846 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:01 PM

View Postjoel_rosenbaum, on 11 December 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

Yes, but Scooby-Doo can doo-doo, but Jimmy Carter is smarter.

Posted Image
Max: You know what? I can’t do this for another second.
Geostorm (2017)

"Pack up!"
Om Shanti Om (2007)

#51 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:49 PM

This is the reason why the predilections of the Oscars really annoys me. Those movies, especially when it comes to the acting, are rightly described as "Oscar bait," which I think is sad because, hell, who has contributed more to the craft of film acting in the last forty years than Hanks, Streep, and Oldman? Put Anthony Hopkins, Pacino, and De Niro in there are you have some of the greatest contributors to the form in history. And on top of that, who has contributed more to the culture of the 20th Century, especially of film, since the 1970s than Spielberg? Yet we see trailers for The Post and Darkest Hour and we KNOW they're the kind of films the Academy drools over, so when the do win the Oscars, it lessens their accomplishments AND makes us bitter that films like Lady Bird and Disaster Artist don't win (those still might, especially Lady Bird). It's like Pixar: for every Pixar Oscar, I am there grumbling and criticizing them for winning YET ANOTHER award while a lesser known animated film falls by the wayside. Do Hanks or Streep or Spielberg NEED another Oscar? No. Do they have a huge head start because the most talented people want to work with them and they get first look at the best scripts? Well, yes. But does that make the films they do make any less great? I hope not.

This is why I loved Tropic Thunder so much in that it called out Oscar Bait for being what it is. I'm sure The Post is a fine movie, but how it's being promoted might as well say "fuck you, give us the statue." It's why seeing performances like Viola Davis for The Help or Michael Keaton for Birdman lose out to biopics is so disheartening, because those performances were utterly amazing and deserving of accolades, but because they were either respectively against Streep and a biopic about Steven Hawking, they were SOL. That's not to say those factors always win, but they do seem to do so more than other kinds of roles. I'm hoping that Franco can pull out the win because it's a great story to sell as it's by proxy giving an award to a guy who tried to live the dream of making an award winning film and ended up making one of the worst films ever, and it's a combo of a movie film and biopic, so it could be enough to give Franco the Oscar.

Also, I may be alone in this, but I don't know if Franco would make a good guest on the show as listening to Paul interview him he was bouncing all over the place with excitement, which I feel make for a scattershot episode, similar to how Kevin Smith was bouncing around in the Wild, Wild, West episode.

#52 The Triple Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:52 PM

View PostSociety Max, on 10 December 2017 - 02:33 AM, said:

That can only mean that I discovered Paul's and Cameron H. Telepathic mind connection but I could only make up 3 of the ideas that spin around in the Paul-Cameron Hive Mind

Posted Image

;)

I'm just saying ... has anyone ever seen Paul Scheer and Cameron H in the same room together?

#53 The Triple Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:03 PM

I know that when it comes to the Grammys, the nominees and winners are determined, in large part, by the amount of campaigning done by the artists that are up for consideration. A band I play/tour with was preliminarily nominated in the World Music category, and I learned a lot about what a sham the whole process is. The way it works is that a dozen or more artists or groups are told they are up for consideration (there's a mindblowing amount of networking involved just to get a foot in the door), and then they have to promote themselves and appeal to the panel that decides the official final ballot. And all artists have to schill themselves and hype their art to get it noticed, so that's nothing new per se, but when you're dealing with a business full of millionaires with millionaire agents, the "promotion" basically amounts to sending gifts and swag to the judges and whoever sends the nicest "cookie bouquet" (as we called it) ends up getting officially nominated. Unless an album is good enough to get noticed amidst all that, the bigger names tend to win out. There's probably a similar dynamic in the movie biz. It's not just the names, but it's the massive resources that those bigger names have at their disposal.

It's all just beautiful, rich people applauding themselves over their expensive pretending.

EDIT: Lest this all sound like insufferable humble-bragging, I personally have never been nominated for anything, even preliminarily. The lovely folks whose music I learn and play were.

#54 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:03 PM

it lessens their accomplishments AND makes us bitter that films like Lady Bird and Disaster Artist don't win (those still might, especially Lady Bird). It's like Pixar: for every Pixar Oscar, I am there grumbling and criticizing them for winning YET ANOTHER award while a lesser known animated film falls by the wayside.

Yeah, but there's still no fucking reason The Big Sick didn't get a single Golden Globes nom :) Not even Holly Hunter? GTFO
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#55 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:14 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 11 December 2017 - 07:03 PM, said:

Yeah, but there's still no fucking reason The Big Sick didn't get a single Golden Globes nom :) Not even Holly Hunter? GTFO

She should've sent a cookie bouquet too :(

#56 The Triple Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:19 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 11 December 2017 - 07:14 PM, said:

She should've sent a cookie bouquet too :(

PLZ I can haz Oscar?
Posted Image

#57 Cameron H.

Cookin' With Potatoes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,846 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:25 PM

View PostRyan Sz, on 11 December 2017 - 06:49 PM, said:

Also, I may be alone in this, but I don't know if Franco would make a good guest on the show as listening to Paul interview him he was bouncing all over the place with excitement, which I feel make for a scattershot episode, similar to how Kevin Smith was bouncing around in the Wild, Wild, West episode.

Really? I'd love to have him on as a guest. I feel like he's just one of those people whose brain gets slightly ahead of him. I think he would have fantastic observations. For the record, though, I also enjoyed Kevin Smith.
Max: You know what? I can’t do this for another second.
Geostorm (2017)

"Pack up!"
Om Shanti Om (2007)

#58 The Triple Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

View PostCameron H., on 11 December 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

Really? I'd love to have him on as a guest. I feel like he's just one of those people whose brain gets slightly ahead of him. I think he would have fantastic observations. For the record, though, I also enjoyed Kevin Smith.

Franco was decent on SNL last weekend. Anybody catch it?

For some reason, the "Za" sketch was my favorite: http://www.nbc.com/s...a/3633409?snl=1

#59 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:08 PM

View PostThe_Triple_Lindy, on 11 December 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

He was decent on SNL last weekend. Anybody catch it?

For some reason, the "Za" sketch was my favorite: http://www.nbc.com/s...a/3633409?snl=1

I did! I didn't like the Za sketch at first, but then Franco went all in and I appreciated that. In the same vein, I liked Pretty Mandy. It was dumb but I liked her commitment.

#60 SaraK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:09 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 11 December 2017 - 07:03 PM, said:

Yeah, but there's still no fucking reason The Big Sick didn't get a single Golden Globes nom :)/> Not even Holly Hunter? GTFO

If they didn’t lump all supporting actors into the same category, I feel like she would have made it in. But I agree, I was really hoping they’d get a screenplay nod just because it was so personal. Fingers crossed for the Oscars since there’s two sections of screenplays.