🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 177 - The Disaster Artist

On a very special episode of How Did This Get Made?, Paul speaks with the stars and writers of The Disaster Artist which includes James Franco, Dave Franco, Seth Rogen, Ari Graynor, Michael H. Webber, Scott Neustadter, Greg Sestero, and Tommy Wiseau. Plus, we present the classic HDTGM episode on The Room with Steve Heisler from The AV Club and Greg Sestero!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepublic.com/user/howdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

You can see Jason, June, and Paul in The Disaster Artist in theaters now.

Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. Paul can be seen on Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, Opening Night, and Veep. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in The Good Place, The House, The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

*Recently Edited. Please read to the very end. Thank You*

For those of you who may not already know, I had the great fortune to attend the November 7th 2017 Premiere event for "The Disaster Artist" in Madrid, Spain

And here are some pictures I took... The main condition for me to enter and watch the film was to turn off my cellphone so these are the few I did take...

No one from the cast and crew from the movie walked the red carpet, only Celebrities from Spain that I didnt know and nobody signed any autographs... But I got to see the film early and free and It was the BEST!

24837449_10155672546357559_2256261563428600655_o.jpg?oh=71cb9e4d4094eb10d1e5c658522e48d7&oe=5A8F4FB6

23551102_10155607583642559_6649768420919299305_o.jpg?oh=606bd7bd40da6570a2e36ef02361cdaa&oe=5A9E0634

The Invitation/Ticket

23550821_10155607582977559_2116736382129678335_o.jpg?oh=da7891bf888d7e2b1652cc419fc3e4d3&oe=5A971059

My Plastic Spoon and a Toy Football

23550407_10155607582447559_3292712029530210134_o.jpg?oh=cba350d72e3c8897e94b39f156221579&oe=5AA60D62

My frozen face from the cold (I was uber happy but the temperature was against me showing it) outside after the movie

23559707_10155607581957559_5120451150738700759_n.jpg?oh=7f257d9b0259ba476b216bc06d18ca23&oe=5AA132DC

P.S.

: I was also tired of running around outside the cinema and asking for American Footballs in the surrounding stores, because here in Europe...

0711201711_news_21951-320x260.jpg

^^ The Soccer ball IS the football (and I knew the diference already, but it was like finding and then BUYING a "needle in a haystack") And also I saw the movie with the ball and the spoon at hand but I didnt throw/tossed any of them inside the theatre (I wanted to pay attention to the movie and not get kicked out)... I did it for the LULZ, the memories and fandom (and hoping to get it autographed)... Now I'm ready if any screenings of "The Room" pop up ;)

P.P.S. : https://www.newgroun...tal/view/547307 <--- This link is for a free interactive online point and click tribute flash adventure game of The Room that happens in the spam of the movies events its made with so much love, care and attention for the source material that you will truly feel inside the universe from start to finish... It also has minigames, easter eggs, various achievement medals, two endings and a hidden spoon hunt.

A Must Play!!!

• Like 8

This episode is like the opening of a time capsule.

1. The old theme song.

2. The intimacy of studio episodes.

3. June being "obsessed with" (fill in the blank).

• Like 7

Are they doing Valerian? Paul mentions it at the end.

Yeah at that upcoming podcast festival with the weird name I think. He posted it on instagram so I've got it saved on my HBO watchlist cause it's currently there lol.

• Like 4

And in my mind (wich works at 100% capacity) this will give "Lucy" a chance for an upcoming episode as well...

So if they name drop "Lucy" in the "Valerian" ep I will react like this...

giphy.gif

P.S.: Too Late! I'm already reacting like this

• Like 4

And in my mind (wich works at 100% capacity) this will give "Lucy" a chance for an upcoming episode as well...

So if they name drop "Lucy" in the "Valerian" ep I will react like this...

giphy.gif

P.S.: I'm already reacting like this

Lucy I legit loved in spite of its flaws. Valerian, well, I can see how it was a good idea.

I think both would make good episodes but I'd definitely try to defend Lucy even though it's indefensible.

• Like 2

Lucy I legit loved in spite of its flaws. Valerian, well, I can see how it was a good idea.

I think both would make good episodes but I'd definitely try to defend Lucy even though it's indefensible.

Lucy started out amazing. I loved the concept but as it kept going I lost a lot of interest.

• Like 4

Just the ending and the lack of emotion and empathy that grew as the brain power of Lucy increased were the things that ruined it for me

If you fix that you got a masterpiece in my book

This is a quote from a post of mine in the "Lucy" Bad Movies Recomendation Section thread in wich I touch and expand on what I just said above...

*SPOILERS for "Lucy"

I love LOVE Scarlett Johansson and I had high hopes for this movie but the trailer kinda spoiled the overall experience for me ( not plotwise but more in the sense that I knew what action piece / montage was coming next because I've seen the trailer :C ) Also I personally think that Scarlett Johansson's portrayal of Lucy, after she begins to gain brain power / knowledge and lose her humanity, was not as good or as engaging as the work she did in "Under The Skin" ( Many Thanks you Paul Scheer for that recomendation ) where she carried that whole movie and I truly felt connected to the things that happened to her character.

In "Lucy" I totally loved her helplessness and vulnerability in the first few scenes in the movie but as much as I wanted to really care for her, I didn't by the end of the film... It's weird because we are talking about Luc Besson the guy responsable for Leeloo ( She has a MultiPass to my heart <3 )

As for the ending... Personally I would have ended the movie ( maybe with a Morgan Freeman monologue ) right after Lucy touches the monkey man with her index finger like the "The Creation of Adam" painting and then shown how much faster mankind could create / discover things while using 100 % of their brains potential ( So to the audience it seems that Lucy traveled through time to share all of her knowledge before the discovery of fire and bringing the whole "Lucy was the name of the first female human" back full circle and also mindblowing EVERYONE! ) or made the Chinease drug dealer shoot her in the head at 99 % and then explain that humanity's true potential will never be reached as long as violence and ignorance rule our lives ( this also could be done via a Morgan Monologue )

But NOOOOOOOO... they went with the Transcendence ending... :S

Yes... the gang will have a field day if they pick "Lucy"

Lucy started out amazing. I loved the concept but as it kept going I lost a lot of interest.

^^THIS!!! Also

• Like 3

Also I personally think that Scarlett Johansson's portrayal of Lucy, after she begins to gain brain power / knowledge and lose her humanity, was not as good or as engaging as the work she did in "Under The Skin" ( Many Thanks you Paul Scheer for that recomendation ) where she carried that whole movie and I truly felt connected to the things that happened to her character.

Yes this in particular is a big problem for me. Her acting at the end is horrendous! But in Under The Skin she pulls off that lack of emotion much better. I can't tell if it's a "her" thing or a director thing or maybe a little bit from column a and a little bit from column b. Either way once she starts losing herself the whole movie falls apart.

• Like 5

I'll admit I can't defend Lucy on any of its technical merits. It's a garbage movie that makes no sense but I loved it once I gave in to how dumb it is.

It looks like the people who didn't like it sounds like they had high expectations. I had extremely low expectations and liked it. I wonder if that's part of it.

• Like 3

I like how, for a second, this "The Disaster Artist" Thread got sidetracked by Valerian and Lucy

Since the Mortal Kombat episode I have this theory...

Christopher Lambert is either from the same birthplace as Tommy Wiseau or they are secretly related or both Tommy and Chritopher had to move a lot in their lives and developed this unique accents from bits and pieces from around the world and/or its just all a coincidence/happy accident (As its stated in his Wikipedia page... A detail also read in the M.K. Episode: His father was a French diplomat at the United Nations. Lambert was raised in Geneva from infancy and moved to Paris in his teens.)

And why do I say this...

EXIBIT A!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTBhgv9RDWs

CASE CLOSED! PERIOD!!!

• Like 3

Hey, guys! The year is coming to a close, and although there's still one more episode to come, I thought it might be fun to go over the movies covered this year. I feel like I bitched a lot about some of the picks (I'm sorry for that), but taken as a whole, I think this has been a pretty solid year. I'd love to hear everyone's ranking on the movies and episodes (knowing that just because you loved an episode doesn't mean you love the movie)

Also, I wonder what hopes people have for the show in the new year (e.g. more studio episodes).

2017 HDTGM Movies

1) Escape from LA

2) Highlander II

3) Airborne

4) xXx: Return of Xander Cage

5) Surf Ninjas

6) Body Parts

7) Sleepwalkers

8) The Lake House

9) Fate of the Furious

10) My Stepmother's an Alien

11) The Running Man

12) The Wraith

13) Ninja Terminator

14) Timecop

15) Chopping Mall

16) Hard Ticket to Hawaii

17) Garbage Pail Kids Movie

18) Bratz

19) Miami Connection

20) The Last Dragon

21) Virtuosity

22) Jason X

23) Ultraviolet

24) The Jazz Singer

25) The Room - Special Edition

(This isn't to suggest any of the episodes aren't ALL good. Just your subjective ranking. :))

• Like 6

I don't have a ranking for the full list yet but my number 1 is EASILY Fate Of The Furious. It's one of my favorite movies of 2017 even without HDTGM.

• Like 1

^ that 13, 15, 16, 17 period was rough.

If the movies had been spread out instead of back to back, it wouldn't have been so bad in my opinion. But it almost made Bratz creek like a breath of fresh air.

• Like 5

2017 HDTGM Movies Ranked

1) The Last Dragon

2) Airborne

3) Miami Connection

4) The Running Man

5) Timecop

6) Sleepwalkers

7) My Stepmother's an Alien

8) Highlander II

9) Escape for LA

10) The Jazz Singer

11) Jason X

12) Bratz

13) The Wraith

14) Surf Ninjas

15) Ultraviolet

16) xXx: The Return of Xander Cage

17) The Lake House

18) Body Parts

19) The Room

20) Garbage Pail Kids

21) Chopping Mall

22) Hard Ticket to Hawaii

23) Ninja Terminator

(I have not watched Fate and the Furious or Virtuosity yet)

2017 HDTGM Episodes Ranked

1) Timecop

2) Miami Connection

3) The Lake House

4) Sleepwalkers

5) Highlander II

6) Escape from LA

7) The Running Man

8) Airborne

9) Bratz

10) The Wraith

11) Surf Ninjas

12) xXx: Return of Xander Cage

13) The Jazz Singer

14) Jason X

15) Body Parts

16) The Last Dragon

17) Fate of the Furious

18) Garbage Pail Kids

19) Chopping Mall

20) Hard Ticket to Hawaii

21) Ultraviolet

22) Ninja Terminator

(I haven't listened to Virtuosity yet and I'm not sure it's fair to rank The Room episode)

Things I'd like in 2018

1) I would love for them to finally do a run of "I loved this movie when I was a kid, but I think it might actually be terrible" movies. For example, Ladyhawk for Jason and Drop Dead Fred for June. I'm not sure if Paul has ever mentioned one...

2) Adam Scott as a guest for a non-Vin Diesel movie.

3) Less "unavailable to rent" or "only available in crappy YouTube uploads" movies.

• Like 4

Double Post. Sorry. Er...

I'm watching The Good Place right now. It's very good so far

• Like 4

1) I would love for them to finally do a run of "I loved this movie when I was a kid, but I think it might actually be terrible" movies. For example, Ladyhawk for Jason and Drop Dead Fred for June. I'm not sure if Paul has ever mentioned one...

3) Less "unavailable to rent" or "only available in crappy YouTube uploads" movies.

For 1), they did a surprising amount of movies I saw and enjoyed as a kid. Airborne I probably saw at least half a dozen times on TBS. I didn't watch it again for the new episode but I'll concede that it's not as cool as I thought in middle school. But I saw about half a dozen more as a kid that I liked.

For 3), I agree but I'll again recommend check your local library. Other than Garbage Pail Kids and the upcoming Free Jack, I've found all of them in my local library system if they weren't available on Amazon.

I'm not too upset about the only on YouTube ones. At least I'm not paying for it I guess but I don't mind spending a couple bucks to rent it on Amazon. Having to buy an out of print DVD is pretty rough though.

The currently in theatres I can see being an issue for others because it's expensive for a podcast.

Double Post. Sorry. Er...

I'm watching The Good Place right now. It's very good so far

I love that show!

My top episodes are Airborne, My StepMother is an Alien, Bratz, and Escape from LA mostly for the guests on each of those.

• Like 5

For 1), they did a surprising amount of movies I saw and enjoyed as a kid. Airborne I probably saw at least half a dozen times on TBS. I didn't watch it again for the new episode but I'll concede that it's not as cool as I thought in middle school. But I saw about half a dozen more as a kid that I liked.

For 3), I agree but I'll again recommend check your local library. Other than Garbage Pail Kids and the upcoming Free Jack, I've found all of them in my local library system if they weren't available on Amazon.

I'm not too upset about the only on YouTube ones. At least I'm not paying for it I guess but I don't mind spending a couple bucks to rent it on Amazon. Having to buy an out of print DVD is pretty rough though.

The currently in theatres I can see being an issue for others because it's expensive for a podcast.

If it’s only on YouTube that’s fine (I think I watched Glitter on YouTube and the quality was good) I’m talking about the ones that either have swirling stars, are super zoomed in, or grainy to the point that you can’t see what’s going on.

The library’s fine, but mine’s not particularly great.. And I personally would rather not go through the hassle of trying to get a copy loaned to my local branch when I can just as easily rent/buy something for a couple of bucks on Amazon/iTunes.

• Like 3

If it’s only on YouTube that’s fine (I think I watched Glitter on YouTube and the quality was good) I’m talking about the ones that either have swirling stars, are super zoomed in, or grainy to the point that you can’t see what’s going on.

The library’s fine, but mine’s not particularly great.. And I personally would rather not go through the hassle of trying to get a copy loaned to my local branch when I can just as easily rent/buy something for a couple of bucks on Amazon/iTunes.

I tried to watch The Room again for this week and YouTube only had it on one of those swirling stars, slightly sped up versions and it was too much for me.

Obviously, everyone's library system is different. I liver in a big enough city that it's really good. Inter-library loans are super easy meaning I have a functionally unlimited selection of movies. And I live about 10 minutes from my nearest location. So it's great for me but I've also just ehhhhh I'll spend the 2.99 to stream it. So, I get why others don't want to.

I just push then so much because it's a great public resource that so few people utilize and there really are a ton of free movies unavailable anywhere online.

I think they also have books.

• Like 2

Attention everybody

Paul did a GREAT 11 minute (More or less) interview with IMDB about The Disaster Artist, The Room, His Projects... And More!

http://www.imdb.com/...er/vi2911942681

The video interview starts at the 5min:24sec mark but there is a short 7 second clip from The Disaster Artist that may be considered spoiler-y if you want to see the movie blank so to jump pass it just go to the 5min:49sec mark of the link above and Pauls first words in the interview are: "I'm SO Busy!" thats the NO SPOILER beginning of the interview

P.S.: The IMdb.com interviewer failed to mention Human Giant & NTSF:SD:SUV::

Me. Not. Like. That.

tenor.gif

I mean, he could of looked it up in their own website ;)

• Like 5