🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 177 - The Disaster Artist

This is the reason why the predilections of the Oscars really annoys me. Those movies, especially when it comes to the acting, are rightly described as "Oscar bait," which I think is sad because, hell, who has contributed more to the craft of film acting in the last forty years than Hanks, Streep, and Oldman? Put Anthony Hopkins, Pacino, and De Niro in there are you have some of the greatest contributors to the form in history. And on top of that, who has contributed more to the culture of the 20th Century, especially of film, since the 1970s than Spielberg? Yet we see trailers for The Post and Darkest Hour and we KNOW they're the kind of films the Academy drools over, so when the do win the Oscars, it lessens their accomplishments AND makes us bitter that films like Lady Bird and Disaster Artist don't win (those still might, especially Lady Bird). It's like Pixar: for every Pixar Oscar, I am there grumbling and criticizing them for winning YET ANOTHER award while a lesser known animated film falls by the wayside. Do Hanks or Streep or Spielberg NEED another Oscar? No. Do they have a huge head start because the most talented people want to work with them and they get first look at the best scripts? Well, yes. But does that make the films they do make any less great? I hope not.

So... I don't know. Awards for artistic accomplishments are inherently unfair? WHAT AN ORIGINAL IDEA, QUASAR! Next you are going to tell us that Box Office receipts do not directly correlate to a film's quality!

This is why I loved Tropic Thunder so much in that it called out Oscar Bait for being what it is. I'm sure The Post is a fine movie, but how it's being promoted might as well say "fuck you, give us the statue." It's why seeing performances like Viola Davis for The Help or Michael Keaton for Birdman lose out to biopics is so disheartening, because those performances were utterly amazing and deserving of accolades, but because they were either respectively against Streep and a biopic about Steven Hawking, they were SOL. That's not to say those factors always win, but they do seem to do so more than other kinds of roles. I'm hoping that Franco can pull out the win because it's a great story to sell as it's by proxy giving an award to a guy who tried to live the dream of making an award winning film and ended up making one of the worst films ever, and it's a combo of a movie film and biopic, so it could be enough to give Franco the Oscar.

Also, I may be alone in this, but I don't know if Franco would make a good guest on the show as listening to Paul interview him he was bouncing all over the place with excitement, which I feel make for a scattershot episode, similar to how Kevin Smith was bouncing around in the Wild, Wild, West episode.

• Like 1

That can only mean that I discovered Paul's and Cameron H. Telepathic mind connection but I could only make up 3 of the ideas that spin around in the Paul-Cameron Hive Mind

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

;)

I'm just saying ... has anyone ever seen Paul Scheer and Cameron H in the same room together?

• Like 6

So... I don't know. Awards for artistic accomplishments are inherently unfair? WHAT AN ORIGINAL IDEA, QUASAR! Next you are going to tell us that Box Office receipts do not directly correlate to a film's quality!

I know that when it comes to the Grammys, the nominees and winners are determined, in large part, by the amount of campaigning done by the artists that are up for consideration. A band I play/tour with was preliminarily nominated in the World Music category, and I learned a lot about what a sham the whole process is. The way it works is that a dozen or more artists or groups are told they are up for consideration (there's a mindblowing amount of networking involved just to get a foot in the door), and then they have to promote themselves and appeal to the panel that decides the official final ballot. And all artists have to schill themselves and hype their art to get it noticed, so that's nothing new per se, but when you're dealing with a business full of millionaires with millionaire agents, the "promotion" basically amounts to sending gifts and swag to the judges and whoever sends the nicest "cookie bouquet" (as we called it) ends up getting officially nominated. Unless an album is good enough to get noticed amidst all that, the bigger names tend to win out. There's probably a similar dynamic in the movie biz. It's not just the names, but it's the massive resources that those bigger names have at their disposal.

It's all just beautiful, rich people applauding themselves over their expensive pretending.

EDIT: Lest this all sound like insufferable humble-bragging, I personally have never been nominated for anything, even preliminarily. The lovely folks whose music I learn and play were.

• Like 5

it lessens their accomplishments AND makes us bitter that films like Lady Bird and Disaster Artist don't win (those still might, especially Lady Bird). It's like Pixar: for every Pixar Oscar, I am there grumbling and criticizing them for winning YET ANOTHER award while a lesser known animated film falls by the wayside.

Yeah, but there's still no fucking reason The Big Sick didn't get a single Golden Globes nom :) Not even Holly Hunter? GTFO

• Like 5

Yeah, but there's still no fucking reason The Big Sick didn't get a single Golden Globes nom :) Not even Holly Hunter? GTFO

She should've sent a cookie bouquet too :(

• Like 4

Also, I may be alone in this, but I don't know if Franco would make a good guest on the show as listening to Paul interview him he was bouncing all over the place with excitement, which I feel make for a scattershot episode, similar to how Kevin Smith was bouncing around in the Wild, Wild, West episode.

Really? I'd love to have him on as a guest. I feel like he's just one of those people whose brain gets slightly ahead of him. I think he would have fantastic observations. For the record, though, I also enjoyed Kevin Smith.

• Like 7

Really? I'd love to have him on as a guest. I feel like he's just one of those people whose brain gets slightly ahead of him. I think he would have fantastic observations. For the record, though, I also enjoyed Kevin Smith.

Franco was decent on SNL last weekend. Anybody catch it?

For some reason, the "Za" sketch was my favorite: http://www.nbc.com/s...a/3633409?snl=1

• Like 3

He was decent on SNL last weekend. Anybody catch it?

For some reason, the "Za" sketch was my favorite: http://www.nbc.com/s...a/3633409?snl=1

I did! I didn't like the Za sketch at first, but then Franco went all in and I appreciated that. In the same vein, I liked Pretty Mandy. It was dumb but I liked her commitment.

• Like 1

Yeah, but there's still no fucking reason The Big Sick didn't get a single Golden Globes nom :)/> Not even Holly Hunter? GTFO

If they didn’t lump all supporting actors into the same category, I feel like she would have made it in. But I agree, I was really hoping they’d get a screenplay nod just because it was so personal. Fingers crossed for the Oscars since there’s two sections of screenplays.

• Like 2

I liked Smith fine, but I felt there were points where his mind wandered onto another topic and then another. Also, Smosh Games did a video with Wiseau where they play an escape room based on The Room and it's fantastic, more so because Wiseau is actually involved and playing it straight, rather than being hammy like he was in the Tommy Wi-Show.

I'm just saying ... has anyone ever seen Paul Scheer and Cameron H in the same room together?

Does this mean Paul Scheer is for discrimination?

• Like 3

This is why I loved Tropic Thunder so much in that it called out Oscar Bait for being what it is. I'm sure The Post is a fine movie, but how it's being promoted might as well say "fuck you, give us the statue." It's why seeing performances like Viola Davis for The Help or Michael Keaton for Birdman lose out to biopics is so disheartening, because those performances were utterly amazing and deserving of accolades, but because they were either respectively against Streep and a biopic about Steven Hawking, they were SOL. That's not to say those factors always win, but they do seem to do so more than other kinds of roles. I'm hoping that Franco can pull out the win because it's a great story to sell as it's by proxy giving an award to a guy who tried to live the dream of making an award winning film and ended up making one of the worst films ever, and it's a combo of a movie film and biopic, so it could be enough to give Franco the Oscar.

I'm still on the side of Eddie Redmayne genuinely being the best performance that year and Birdman NOT BEING AS GREAT AS EVERYONE SAID IT WAS!

• Like 1

I have a list of people that if they don't get Oscar noms I'm rioting and Kumail, Emily, and Holly are definitely on it. (As well as Greta Gerwig, Jordan Peele, and Daniel Kaluuya).

• Like 2

I have a list of people that if they don't get Oscar noms I'm rioting and Kumail, Emily, and Holly are definitely on it. (As well as Greta Gerwig, Jordan Peele, and Daniel Kaluuya).

Gerwig and Peele not getting GG director noms is bullshit, too.

• Like 2

Gerwig and Peele not getting GG director noms is bullshit, too.

I haven't even been able to see Lady Bird yet but I've always loved Greta and to see a movie that still sits at a near perfect RT score (I read the one rotten review and it's clear the dude just has something against Greta Gerwig and even gave it a B- and yet still counted it as rotten) not be recognized properly for the directing really shines a light on what it is that Hollywood pays attention to.

• Like 2

I haven't even been able to see Lady Bird yet but I've always loved Greta and to see a movie that still sits at a near perfect RT score (I read the one rotten review and it's clear the dude just has something against Greta Gerwig and even gave it a B- and yet still counted it as rotten) not be recognized properly for the directing really shines a light on what it is that Hollywood pays attention to.

I don't really like Gerwig generally (although she's been growing on me over the last year or so after Twentieth Century Women), but Lady Bird is WONDERFUL. I think you'll really love it.

• Like 3

I don't really like Gerwig generally (although she's been growing on me over the last year or so after Twentieth Century Women), but Lady Bird is WONDERFUL. I think you'll really love it.

I haven't seen 20th either!! I didn't really care for Mistress America but I looooove Frances Ha.

• Like 2

I'm still on the side of Eddie Redmayne genuinely being the best performance that year and Birdman NOT BEING AS GREAT AS EVERYONE SAID IT WAS!

Preach it, sister!

I haven't seen 20th either!! I didn't really care for Mistress America but I looooove Frances Ha.

I was not a fan of hers for a long time but all these movies plus Lady Bird have changed my opinion of her.

• Like 1

I still love Birdman but I am not angry that Redmayne won. His was a remarkable performance.

But that's also goes back to what Ryan Sz and The_Triple_Lindy were saying about both the predictability of the awards and the campaigning that goes on to determine both the nominees and the winners. It is largely a sham, but I don't want that to contribute to people, including me, resenting the people who do win. All this studio self-congratulating and millions of dollars studios spend to pat themselves on the back, it just makes a win from, say, Streep or Daniel Day Lewis, less meaningful. I shouldn't be tired of those great artists making art, yet there is a system in place that forces their greatness down are throats and it becomes less meaningful. We all lose. Greta Gerwig and the Big Sick don't get nominated (FUCKING BULLSHIT) and then we resent the winners because of it. Everyone loses.

• Like 2

I still love Birdman but I am not angry that Redmayne won. His was a remarkable performance.

But that's also goes back to what Ryan Sz and The_Triple_Lindy were saying about both the predictability of the awards and the campaigning that goes on to determine both the nominees and the winners. It is largely a sham, but I don't want that to contribute to people, including me, resenting the people who do win. All this studio self-congratulating and millions of dollars studios spend to pat themselves on the back, it just makes a win from, say, Streep or Daniel Day Lewis, less meaningful. I shouldn't be tired of those great artists making art, yet there is a system in place that forces their greatness down are throats and it becomes less meaningful. We all lose. Greta Gerwig and the Big Sick don't get nominated (FUCKING BULLSHIT) and then we resent the winners because of it. Everyone loses.

I completely agree. It 100% feels like they purposefully want to shut out anyone new into their ceremonies. But at least we have some time before the actual Oscar noms are announced and with this current climate and the last few years of Oscars So White on their mind I can't imagine they would make the same mistakes as they have in the past. But... we shall see.

And something else that I've noticed about the Awards is the average age of the winners. Women seem to win younger (Jlaw, Brie, Emma Stone) while the men don't win until they're more mature (Colin Firth, Jeff Bridges, Leo). Now I don't know how much weight that really has on things but it does seem quite odd when put under a microscope.

• Like 3

I saw The Room for the first time on Friday night and The Disaster Artist on Sunday. There were lots of fans and the amount of spoons thrown during The Room was INSANE. The Disaster Artist was good and James Franco really disappeared into the role. Usually when I see famous actors I have a hard time not telling myself "I'm watching x play a role." This was very good.

Searching around I found that the actors have started to embrace their infamy. One person commented that Juliette Danielle (Lisa) has gotten back into acting and is very engaging on her Facebook page. I found it and she links to two episodes of a Where Are They Now? mockumentary. Here are episodes 1 and 2.

Episode 1

Episode 2

• Like 1

SAG nominations were released! The Big Sick got an Ensemble nom, Holly Hunter got a Supporting Actress nom, and Paul was included in the Ensemble nom of Veep!!!

• Like 5

I completely agree. It 100% feels like they purposefully want to shut out anyone new into their ceremonies. But at least we have some time before the actual Oscar noms are announced and with this current climate and the last few years of Oscars So White on their mind I can't imagine they would make the same mistakes as they have in the past. But... we shall see.

I'm glad Oscars So white gained the traction it did. I legit font think Moonlight would have won otherwise (despite being deserving) and maybe not even nominated. Considering how strong films with people of color were this year. Granted, I still see movies like Get Out or Big Sick getting major snubs because they aren't typical Oscar movies. Not entirely shut out but Best Picture? I don't know. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

I'm glad Oscars So white gained the traction it did. I legit font think Moonlight would have won otherwise (despite being deserving) and maybe not even nominated. Considering how strong films with people of color were this year. Granted, I still see movies like Get Out or Big Sick getting major snubs because they aren't typical Oscar movies. Not entirely shut out but Best Picture? I don't know. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Historically for the last 22 years the movie that won Best Picture was nominated for Best Ensemble at the SAG awards. Typically each film nominated in SAG then goes on to be nominated for the Oscars. My guess this year is that Lady Bird will take the win but I still see strong potential in Get Out. It may not be a "typical" Oscar movie within the most recent years but there's always something that breaks the mold (like Beauty and the Beast being the first animated movie to be nominated for Best Picture).

• Like 3