Musical Mondays Week 27 Preview (Maximiliano’s 2nd Pick)

34 replies to this topic

#21 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:27 PM

Society Max, on 11 December 2017 - 12:59 PM, said:

Cinco did you know/heard about this??? http://www.independe...e-a8084356.html

Yes I did know and Plummer got nominated for a Golden Globe for his performance. I was trying to avoid the obvious joke/comment. Apologies if it missed the target.
Mary Lane: (singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."
-- Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

Offscreen critic: "What was that s**t with the window?"
-- La La Land (2016)

#22 grudlian.

Debbie Downer Award Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:34 PM

I originally didn't have much interest in seeing All The Money In The World but replacing Spacey this quickly made me very interested. It's such a scorched earth policy on Spacey that I feel I need to support it

#23 Society Max

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:24 PM

Cinco DeNio, on 11 December 2017 - 01:27 PM, said:

I was trying to avoid the obvious joke/comment. Apologies if it missed the target.

So was I... And I thought you didn't know what had happened with the whole Spacey replacement. Apologies for misunderstanding.

#24 The Triple Lindy

Google Dark Caster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:03 PM

Society Max, on 11 December 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

Enough .gif torture...

My 2nd pick is...

Spoiler

Oh wow ... I never saw this when it was in theaters last summer (I don't know ... "life" or whatever) despite always loving Edgar Wright, so this will correct a grievous omission in my summer movie-going. Gotta say, though ... I had no idea it was a musical.

#25 PollyDarton

Lusty Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationHocksville, TN

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:38 PM

Society Max, on 11 December 2017 - 07:30 AM, said:

Yes and No

TBH I just want a couple more .gifs

Posted Image

I have nothing productive to add, except I would like to nominate this as the best gif on the interwebs.

#26 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:51 PM

The_Triple_Lindy, on 11 December 2017 - 05:03 PM, said:

Oh wow ... I never saw this when it was in theaters last summer (I don't know ... &quot;life&quot; or whatever) despite always loving Edgar Wright, so this will correct a grievous omission in my summer movie-going. Gotta say, though ... I had no idea it was a musical.

We've always maintained a pretty loose definition of the word "Musical." Like, is The Doors a Musical? What about Walk Hard? I think this is an interesting pick because - while the characters might not break out in to song - music is integral to the storytelling. At least, that's what I've heard. I haven't seen it yet either.
Shad: Is this conceivably as big as the yogurt deal?
Striptease (1996)

Chris: Maybe that's why they call themselves "grunts." Cos a grunt can take it. Can take anything.
Platoon (1986)

#27 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:00 PM

The_Triple_Lindy, on 11 December 2017 - 05:03 PM, said:

Oh wow ... I never saw this when it was in theaters last summer (I don't know ... "life" or whatever) despite always loving Edgar Wright, so this will correct a grievous omission in my summer movie-going. Gotta say, though ... I had no idea it was a musical.

No, it's not your typical musical, but the music plays a big part in the storytelling. At least in the first half. I won't go into any spoilers, but there's some wonderful "choreography" in the beginning. /wink

#28 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:57 AM

tomspanks, on 11 December 2017 - 07:00 PM, said:

No, it's not your typical musical, but the music plays a big part in the storytelling. At least in the first half. I won't go into any spoilers, but there's some wonderful "choreography" in the beginning. /wink

Seconded. That's a big part of what endeared me to the movie.
Mary Lane: (singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."

-- La La Land (2016)

#29 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:12 AM

tomspanks, on 11 December 2017 - 07:00 PM, said:

This is making it so hard to not jump the gun and already talk about the movie but that beginning was fuckin fantastic.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#30 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:46 AM

I'm hoping y'all are talking more "Bellbottoms" and less "Harlem Shuffle"
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#31 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:47 AM

Fister Roboto, on 12 December 2017 - 07:46 AM, said:

Posted Image

-- La La Land (2016)

#32 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:52 PM

Cinco DeNio, on 12 December 2017 - 09:47 AM, said:

Posted Image

I apologize. I didn't know the opening song's title. Yes, "Bellbottoms" especially.

-- La La Land (2016)

#33 SaraK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:52 AM

I'm excited to watch this again (I saw it in theatres) but also, just to warn you all, I have a massive crush on Jon Hamm so I feel like that'll mostly be what I'm talking about.

Posted Image

Though I will tell you when I saw this with my dad, his review was 'that was very silly but Jamie Foxx was good'.

#34 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:33 AM

SaraK, on 15 December 2017 - 08:52 AM, said:

I'm excited to watch this again (I saw it in theatres) but also, just to warn you all, I have a massive crush on Jon Hamm so I feel like that'll mostly be what I'm talking about.

Posted Image

Though I will tell you when I saw this with my dad, his review was 'that was very silly but Jamie Foxx was good'.

I saw in theaters as well because I like Edgar Wright's movies, and also both Jon Hamm and Jon Bernthal :)
My boyfriend does love both Jons as well (he has a big man crush on Bernthal, lol).

But Bernthal wasn't in the movie very long.. I do wish his character stuck around longer (or maybe his character stayed instead of Foxx's character) but I'll get into it more next week :D

#35 Society Max

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:26 PM

Posted Image