🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 177.5 - Minisode 177.5

I- I am honestly speechless that this is the way this is turning out.

Considering this was part of a whole festival thing, they might not have had much input in the matter. (Although, if this was the intention from the beginning, it would have been nice if it had been more widely advertised.)

It’s also possible it might be released in the future as a regular episode. I believe Levar Burton Reads releases its entire season to subscribers for free, but still releases them on a regular basis for non-subscribers.

If nothing else, it does exactly what it’s designed to do - encourages people to subscribe by delivering exclusive content. Which was kind of the whole point of Howl/Stitcher Premium in the first place.

• Like 2

it was recorded at the "pee cast blast" .. whatever that is .. and is in that section on stitcher so it may not even show on the HDTGM feed. it could just be a deal they had with the festival. hopefully this means it's just a once off or at least for only when they play that festival.

maybe paul could clear all this up with another "special announcement" ep.

Let’s at least let the guy have a pleasant Holiday with his family first. I’m sure we can wait a week for the next mini to drop :)

• Like 2

it was recorded at the "pee cast blast" .. whatever that is .. and is in that section on stitcher so it may not even show on the HDTGM feed. it could just be a deal they had with the festival. hopefully this means it's just a once off or at least for only when they play that festival.

maybe paul could clear all this up with another "special announcement" ep.

Pee Cast Blast was a thing with a bunch of Earwolf podcasts. Scott's been talking about it on CBB for a while, and I'm pretty sure the ads have been on HDTGM (they've definitely been on the other Earwolf podcasts I listen to, but I can't remember if they've specifically been on HDTGM).

Personally, I see this as a bonus episode, and since it's not really replacing a normal episode or anything, it just seems like a bonus to subscribers. I think it would be cool if they sold the episode for, like, a dollar or two so that people who don't subscribe could listen. But otherwise, I don't see at as any different than when other podcasts do special pay episodes

• Like 3

Pee Cast Blast was a thing with a bunch of Earwolf podcasts. Scott's been talking about it on CBB for a while, and I'm pretty sure the ads have been on HDTGM (they've definitely been on the other Earwolf podcasts I listen to, but I can't remember if they've specifically been on HDTGM).

Personally, I see this as a bonus episode, and since it's not really replacing a normal episode or anything, it just seems like a bonus to subscribers. I think it would be cool if they sold the episode for, like, a dollar or two so that people who don't subscribe could listen. But otherwise, I don't see at as any different than when other podcasts do special pay episodes

Exactly! It’s like when CBB went on tour last year.

• Like 2

yeah, i know all that. it's just abit disappointing. hopefully it will get a proper release in the future. until then i can't add it to the HDTGM runtime. It's currently at 24.4 days if anyone is interested.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fNUxhVbJf9FOIHnE1yorJj383JS51T0cjF6XsaE8tA4/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 1

Let’s at least let the guy have a pleasant Holiday with his family first. I’m sure we can wait a week for the next mini to drop :)

i know c .. i was kidding. i really need to improve my sarcasm.

as i was saying earlier in the thread i'm taking abit of a break from HDTGM anyway. just a few things bugging me about it at the moment. mainly the movies being covered. they're getting a little hard to track down on this side of the pond (legally anyway). i think the last ep i listened to was virtuosity. there were 5 or 6 movies before that that were only available on youtube (or some other less than reputable sites) and looking at some of the movies coming up i'd probably have to resort to those means again. i've asked repeatedly for more easily available movies to be covered and maybe some consideration for listeners outside of the netflix USA/HULU region but i don't even get a reply.

but i'm not an idiot. i don't expect or think i deserve any special treatment or anything. i know most of the listeners for the show are in the US, and it is a show from the US after all, so i'm not expecting every movie to be available for streaming globally but some consideration for us foreigners would be nice. i guess that's why i was looking forward to the Valerian ep. that's out here on DVD and i was planning on renting it. i guess this saves me 4 quid ... silver lining to everything. that disappointment explains my previous posts.

and paul said on twitter that when he announced the paywall he also said there would be exclusive bonus material on there so i guess he's a man of his word. you can't fault him for that.

this is the only show i listen to regularly on stitcher so i can't really justify paying the sub cost when all the normal eps are released for free.

anyway ... it nearly 2 am here and i should have been asleep ages ago. i started watching die hard 2 and time got away from me. ... let it snow let it snow let it snow ...

• Like 4

i know c .. i was kidding. i really need to improve my sarcasm.

Oh, sorry. I think I was having "Paywall Announcement" PTSD. I don't think I honestly thought *you* would harass Paul about it, but we both know there are people out there that totally would.

FWIW, it's good to hear from you. I don't disagree with you in regard to some of the picks this year. On The Disaster Artist thread, I listed the movies they covered this year, and there was definitely a rough patch there. Even for us in America, the movies weren't always easy to find. There was also a lot of YouTubing this year. It has prevented me from participating as much as I usually like.

However, that being said, taken as a whole, I think this has been a really solid year for HDTGM. If I could make a single request for 2018, I would ask - not to stop doing them - but space out some of the more "challenging" movies. There was a period that it really felt like we were drowning in misogyny soup. In hindsight, I've decided that I don't really have a problem watching/making fun of movies like Ninja Terminator, Chopping Mall, Garbage Pail Kids, and Hard Ticket, but when they're coming back-to-back (and on a bi-weekly show, that equals a long time), it gets a bit much. It also didn't help that 3/4 of those movies were crappy YouTube movies - some so pixilated to be almost unwatchable. Had they been spread out a bit more, I feel it would have been more palatable.

As for me, I'm going to make more of an effort to watch these movies at an hour conducive to humor. I was trying to watch a lot if these movies while feeding my baby at 4:30-5 in the morning and I don't think I was giving them the shot they deserved. Watching Ninja Terminator at that hour, when you're half asleep and already grumpy, isn't really giving it a chance. This year, I'm only going to watch when I'm in the right mindset. Which is also why - since my boys are on vacation - I probably won't even watch Superman until next week (or the week after). Right now, we're all just Holiday focused.

• Like 4

If nothing else, it does exactly what it’s designed to do - encourages people to subscribe by delivering exclusive content. Which was kind of the whole point of Howl/Stitcher Premium in the first place.

I agree, however, while it's not taking away from regularly scheduled content I was also highly looking forward to this as Valerian is also on one of the few streaming sites I pay for (well technically my mom pays for since I'm using her HBO password lololol). When podcasts say they'll have live shows go behind the paywall I always completely understand - Jackie Kashian's The Dork Forest and James Bonding both exclusively put their live shows behind a paywall because that shit can get expensive and I wouldn't expect them to hand that out for free. But since half of the shows HDTGM does now are live it just seemed odd that they would have specifically put this one away. I get that it was probably out of their hands due to the festival and I'm honestly not trying to bring up that paywall announcement bull shit again, but it just would have been nice to have known from the get go that the Pee Cast Blast was always going to be Stitcher Premium content so that I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up.

• Like 2

I liked the "Day the Crayons Quit" but my son never really got into it.

Parents, what is/was your favorite kids book?

, I was a big fan of Anna Dewdney's "Llama Llama" books.

But my crown has to go to Mo Willems, especially the Knuffle Bunny series.

My son is on to chapter books now so this is mostly history, but my daughter is coming up on reading age...

I don't have kids but I work with them.

The Jon Klassen hat triology "I Want My Hat Back", "This Is Not My Hat", and "We Found a Hat" are all highly entertaining and almost as enjoyable for adults as kids. It may sound strange, but the first time I read "We Found a Hat" it made me tear up a little. The first two are funny, the last one is heart and message.

• Like 2

On The Disaster Artist thread, I listed the movies they covered this year, and there was definitely a rough patch there. Even for us in America, the movies weren't always easy to find. There was also a lot of YouTubing this year. It has prevented me from participating as much as I usually like.

i just had a look at the list there. i think you're right. it was that "rough patch" that put me off abit. i mean i enjoyed most of the movies this year but some of them felt like a bit of a chore to source/watch. but that's only because i prefer to watch the movies before listening to the eps so i need to take some of the blame too.

looking at the list again, it really highlights one the best things about this podcast.... i hadn't heard of nearly half of them before. this podcast has really broadened my knowledge of terrible but fun movies. a perfect example of this is "the room", i had never heard of it before listening to the ep. and now it's everywhere.

but it just would have been nice to have known from the get go that the Pee Cast Blast was always going to be Stitcher Premium content so that I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up.

spot on. just maybe say it when they post the "homework" on twitter or wherever. just a little heads up kinda thing. maybe they didn't know before. as you say, it might have been out of their hands.

i'll finish on this. i think my disappointment last night highlights i still care about this podcast. which is a good sign. i think i'll just leave them get ahead of me abit and that way i'll have more than just a few days to find the movies. this will mean i won't be in here as much though ... which might please the interns as they won't have to try and make sense of my nonsense and bad grammar.

there are a few podcasts i've stopped listening to over the last while. the big one was DLM. i haven't listened to that in nearly a year. a lot of that was due to the run time of the eps. doug puts out so much stuff it just got difficult to keep up and eventually i just stopped. i wasn't enjoying the games as much either. i was doing a "bert kreischer" and stopping after the intros. he was getting abit too cranky for me too. that anne heche/onur tuckel ep was awful. sandra oh was the only one to come out of that with any dignity.

anyway, that's enough from me. i gotta finish my christmas shopping so i'll go. but whatever about the movie choices this year the forums have always been a fun place to visit. i've laughed as much at the content in here as i have listening to the podcast so thanks to everyone who contributed.

• Like 2

I agree, however, while it's not taking away from regularly scheduled content I was also highly looking forward to this as Valerian is also on one of the few streaming sites I pay for (well technically my mom pays for since I'm using her HBO password lololol). When podcasts say they'll have live shows go behind the paywall I always completely understand - Jackie Kashian's The Dork Forest and James Bonding both exclusively put their live shows behind a paywall because that shit can get expensive and I wouldn't expect them to hand that out for free. But since half of the shows HDTGM does now are live it just seemed odd that they would have specifically put this one away. I get that it was probably out of their hands due to the festival and I'm honestly not trying to bring up that paywall announcement bull shit again, but it just would have been nice to have known from the get go that the Pee Cast Blast was always going to be Stitcher Premium content so that I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up.

Oh, I agree! I honestly don't know if they would have known that or not when they announced it, but it would have been nice. And, who knows, they may release it themselves eventually. Maybe this is just like an early release and not an exclusive release.

To be honest, I have Howl/Stitcher and even I'm not sure if I'll be listening to it anytime soon. Maybe next week when things settle down...

there are a few podcasts i've stopped listening to over the last while. the big one was DLM. i haven't listened to that in nearly a year.

I hear you. I used to listen to TONS of podcasts, and at the beginning of the year I tried valiantly to keep up, but now I'm down to only two that I make a point of listening to (even if I can't listen right away): HDTGM and The Adventure Zone. And, to be honest, TAZ has been on really loose footing for awhile now. Hopefully I'll have more time next year, because I subscribe to a ton of awesome shows, but finding the time to listen to them all is really difficult. And, like you said about DLM, 2 hour episodes are great in their way, but when they're that long, I usually have to stretch my listening over a couple of days which makes it even less likely that I have time to listen to anything else. That's a weird thing to quibble about, isn't it? Something you love being too long...

Regardless, HDTGM should be proud that it is winning my own private Podcast Battle Royale.

• Like 3

I agree, however, while it's not taking away from regularly scheduled content I was also highly looking forward to this as Valerian is also on one of the few streaming sites I pay for (well technically my mom pays for since I'm using her HBO password lololol).

It's not on HBO :( Was it earlier, and I just missed it? I really don't want to pay money to see this trash because Luc Besson is gross.

there are a few podcasts i've stopped listening to over the last while. the big one was DLM. i haven't listened to that in nearly a year. a lot of that was due to the run time of the eps. doug puts out so much stuff it just got difficult to keep up and eventually i just stopped. i wasn't enjoying the games as much either. i was doing a "bert kreischer" and stopping after the intros. he was getting abit too cranky for me too. that anne heche/onur tuckel ep was awful. sandra oh was the only one to come out of that with any dignity.

That's funny. If I skip anything, it's often the pre-game section. I love the games, but sometimes the rambling intros (and Doug's really bad movie opinions) just wear on for me. Especially if there's a terrible, self-indulgent, contrarian-to-be-edgy guest (cough fucking Sirof cough). And the first half of that Heche/Turkel/Oh episode is awful, but the second half turned out to be a total delight. I like when he gets people from the audience to play and the people are chill about it and turn out to be fun to listen to. There was one recently where the guy was up there doing a bunch of shameless self-promotion for his wrestling announcing or whatever and trying to be too jokey and just being all-around irritating.

• Like 2

It's not on HBO :( Was it earlier, and I just missed it? I really don't want to pay money to see this trash because Luc Besson is gross.

Oh my god nooooo! It was literally just on cause I was deciding between that and Split to watch at the beginning of the month!!! (Obviously I went with Split cause I enjoy good movies)

Well that's a bummer about VALERIAN. But you can sign up for a one week free trial when you download the app on IOS. I assume it will let you cancel before the week is up.

I also have one month free from the NOW HEAR THIS festival if anyone wants it. I think that's over the internet not app though. I couldn't figure it out. PM me for code. First come, first served.

• Like 2

Oh my god nooooo! It was literally just on cause I was deciding between that and Split to watch at the beginning of the month!!! (Obviously I went with Split cause I enjoy good movies)

Just watch Fifth Element but remove all the good aspects.

• Like 1

Seeing as we're heading to the new year, I had a small wishlist for episodes I wish they'd do.

The obligatory Mortal Kombat: Annihilation request.

Ready To Rumble:

David Arquette and Scott Caan become pro-wrestling managers for WCW wrestler, Jimmy KIng (Oliver Platt), in a movie that can't decide whether pro wrestling is a choreographed show, or a real fight.

Undefeatable:

You've all seen the infamous "Worst Fight Scene Ever" video on Youtube, well the full movie is even more batshit, Jason's gonna go crazy watching this. The robbery scene is worth the podcast alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN4aXtJvtbI

Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning

This movie is just fucking weird, the previous movie (Universal Soldier: Regeneration) is fucking outstanding for a straight-to-DVD action movie, then this came out, and I don't know why they did this.

The Kickboxer/Bloodsport Sequels

No need to focus on singular movies for these, as the sequels as a singular entity are batshit. Like with Kickboxer, they bring back Tong Po, with a different guy, with so much prosthetic make-up, he looks like a horribly botched botox operation, however, they also use archive footage of the first Kickboxer, and it becomes even more obvious. With Bloodsport, they have a new main actor in 2, and he stays until 4, but they change his character entirely in the last one.

Tactical Force:

'Stone Cold' Steve Austin and Michael Jai White are members of an over-zealous SWAT team who are forced to go back into training. However, they're caught in the middle of rival gangs, and they have to fight their way out. The problem is... they're only armed with blanks! Even Steve Austin has said of his movie career "I starred in some real piece of shit movies".

Maximum Conviction:

'Stone Cold' Steve Austin and Steven Segal have to escort two high priority prisoners, from one prison to another. That's all that's worth saying about it. Let's just say, one of the actors seemingly gave a shit about the movie, and it wasn't Steven Segal.

The Marine/12 Rounds:

These two are pretty much interchangeable. Someone who deserves much more than to play the villain in the movie (Robert Patrick and Aiden Gillen respectively) kidnaps John Cena's wife, and John Cena goes on the rampage to get them back.

The Chaperone:

Triple H plays an ex-con who is trying to rebuild his relationship with his estranged daughter (Ariel Winter), but gets dragged into one more heist by his former partner (Kevin Corrigan), however, he has a change of heart, and decides to join his daughter on a school field trip... however, the money that was stolen has ended up on the school bus!!

(Holy shit, WWE make bad movies! Doesn't need to be said really, but god damn)

When podcasts say they'll have live shows go behind the paywall I always completely understand - Jackie Kashian's The Dork Forest and James Bonding both exclusively put their live shows behind a paywall because that shit can get expensive and I wouldn't expect them to hand that out for free. But since half of the shows HDTGM does now are live it just seemed odd that they would have specifically put this one away.

That's pretty much how I felt. I don't expect to hear the CBB live ones but I expected the HDTGM one. Its not the end of the world, but I'm also too cheap to buy into another thing, so I'll never hear it. :)

I hear you. I used to listen to TONS of podcasts, and at the beginning of the year I tried valiantly to keep up, but now I'm down to only two that I make a point of listening to (even if I can't listen right away): HDTGM and The Adventure Zone.

I've gotten super lazy with mine. I have OffBook and HDTGM as my 'have to listen ASAP' ones, and CBB and Spont are ones I listen to at work, but I've gotten busier lately and behind on the episodes.

• Like 4

Should we start a thread for Valerian? Because I'm listening now with my free trial and I want to complain that Jason keeps saying Cara Delevingne is a good actress. I saw Suicide Squad. She is not. She's BEAUTIFUL. But she's been in like six movies? I don't think she's experienced enough. "Paper Towns" looked like shit too and I liked that book.

• Like 3

Should we start a thread for Valerian? Because I'm listening now with my free trial and I want to complain that Jason keeps saying Cara Delevingne is a good actress. I saw Suicide Squad. She is not. She's BEAUTIFUL. But she's been in like six movies? I don't think she's experienced enough. "Paper Towns" looked like shit too and I liked that book.

Paper Towns wasn't that bad but she's honestly in it for maybe a combined 15-20 minutes.

Also this reminds me that I got into a twitter argument with James Gunn cause he was going on about how people should get tons of experience in Hollywood if they want to land the kind of jobs they want (not entirely wrong) but I pointed out that a lot of famous actors and actresses hit it big pretty immediately and his entire fan base attacked me for daring to disagree with him lmao. I only mention it now because Cara is a perfect example of this. She's a gorgeous model but did she have anything that let people think she would have been a good actress? No because even IMDB lists that she had no formal acting training / coaching before she was cast in Anna Karenina but she was already getting big in the fashion industry and probably knew all the right people / had good auditions and boom now she's a famous actress. That's how that fuckin' town works.

• Like 2

I don't have kids but I work with them.

The Jon Klassen hat triology "I Want My Hat Back", "This Is Not My Hat", and "We Found a Hat" are all highly entertaining and almost as enjoyable for adults as kids. It may sound strange, but the first time I read "We Found a Hat" it made me tear up a little. The first two are funny, the last one is heart and message.

Love the Jon Klassen books. I'm a regular at my local library so I think we've run through just about every recommended kids book, but I'm always looking for more. Our adventures into the classics -- Make Way For Ducklings, The Little Engine that Could, etc. -- have been disappointing to say the least. Big exception for Dr. Seuss, whose work is unquestionably awesome.

• Like 1

Love the Jon Klassen books. I'm a regular at my local library so I think we've run through just about every recommended kids book, but I'm always looking for more. Our adventures into the classics -- Make Way For Ducklings, The Little Engine that Could, etc. -- have been disappointing to say the least. Big exception for Dr. Seuss, whose work is unquestionably awesome.

I asked some of the kids this morning what books they like some of the choices were Animalia, The Bear in Underwear series, various Nick Sharratt books, Stuck, Hats for Sale, and Stone Soup.

Okay I'm watching Superman and I will lose my mind if Cryer's nutso car isn't discussed along with the fact that a strand of Superman's hair can hold up a 1000 pound weight but easily be cut by regular bolt cutters.

• Like 1

One of my favourites of last year was about foreclosing on the bank in a different way..

hell_or_high_water.jpg?itok=X2qvnfre

I'm so utterly pissed that Bridges got the Oscar nomination over Ben Foster who in my opinion stole the show in that film while Bridges just redid his Rooster Cogburn that he had been doing for the last few films. As for other Taylor Sheridan films, I would love to see Gil Birmingham get a Supporting Actor nod for Wind River as he did a fantastic job of a grieving father trying to work with outsiders in finding his child's killer.

One of my favorite things this year was to see how desperate IMDB was to create listicles on certain dates, usually for someone's birthday. The usual headline was "how X actor has changed/evolved over the years," which made it funnier when both Cara Delevingne and Sofia Boutella were the subject of those lists and I think between them they've made 20 films over the last 3-4 years when they started acting.