πŸ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Γ—
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 27 Baby Driver

I've been meaning to listen to that Franco interview is it worth it?

Omg yeah I think so! It's the longest interview I've ever heard Marc do cause they were just so in the thick of a big conversation about James's life and making The Disaster Artist that literally things didn't even seem long until the 1:45 mark and finally James was like "I have one more story but I know I need to get out of here" and Marc was like "No go ahead" so he told another 15 minute story about Tommy lmao.

• Like 1

I always took the whole Anne Hatheway hate for thinly veiled jealousy. Like Cam said, she’s never really been the center of controversy. It’s almost like she comes off too perfec: perect smile, perfect face, perfect personality, perfect job. On top of that, she also came off as the β€œdown-to-Earth, girl-next-door.” I think people just saw that and figured there must be something up. People tend to prefer their celebrities are beautiful monsters or approachable pals. I think she didn’t fit either category and people lashed out at her.

• Like 3

I still think that it was a horrible idea to place her with James (who I now learned from his WTF interview was trying to be the straight man to her wacky comedic performance and none of it ended up working)

Β 

My favorite hosts were Hugh Jackman and then Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin. Those guys in my memory fuckin killed it and kinda set the tone for Anne to come and do song and dance stuff, which could have worked if she had been paired with someone who was a song and dance person.

I don't think it was the worst, I think that goes to Seth McFarland who spent the majority of his time telling jokes about how bad of a host he is because he has to be the center of all his humor. Then when that ended he did a weird song about "I saw your boobs" No thanks. I like the hosts that don't try to do big elaborate bits like Neil Patrick Harris's failed magic trick or the tour group with Kimmel. There doesn't need to be a bit that you build to or get back to. The host should do a song or something big up front, and then pop up now and again to move the show along and that's it.

• Like 2

I don't think it was the worst, I think that goes to Seth McFarland who spent the majority of his time telling jokes about how bad of a host he is because he has to be the center of all his humor. Then when that ended he did a weird song about "I saw your boobs" No thanks. I like the hosts that don't try to do big elaborate bits like Neil Patrick Harris's failed magic trick or the tour group with Kimmel. There doesn't need to be a bit that you build to or get back to. The host should do a song or something big up front, and then pop up now and again to move the show along and that's it.

Yeah, McFarland was probably the worst in recent memory. That "We Saw Your Boobs" song was creepy AF, and I can't believe there wasn't more backlash because of it.

Β 

I thought Kimmel was also pretty terrible last year. His jokes that pretty much just boiled down to "lol black people have funny names" were fucking awful. I can't believer they're having him back this year. At least maybe he'll have the sense to not lean on human trash can Matt Damon this year.

• Like 3

Yeah, McFarland was probably the worst in recent memory. That "We Saw Your Boobs" song was creepy AF, and I can't believe there wasn't more backlash because of it.

I didn't mind the "We Saw Your Boobs" song because it was played as it was supposed to be bad and that made it more self-aware for me and easier to throw away as just a bad part of a bad bit.

Β 

Although the sock puppet Flight re-enactment saved that whole thing in my opinion.

• Like 2

Β 

I thought Kimmel was also pretty terrible last year. His jokes that pretty much just boiled down to "lol black people have funny names" were fucking awful. I can't believer they're having him back this year. At least maybe he'll have the sense to not lean on human trash can Matt Damon this year.

Still don't know why they haven't jumped on the Tina Fey and Amy Poehler train.

• Like 2

That was AMAZING. One thought I had about the car chase was later on Doc tells him what type of vehicle to steal for the Jamie Foxx heist. Does that mean this Subaru was also stolen? If so, it had racing customizations (look at the close-ups of the pedals) and had to be able to hold up to a lot of abuse.

• Like 1

Still don't know why they haven't jumped on the Tina Fey and Amy Poehler train.

Or Mulaney/Kroll. They KILLED at the Spirit Awards this year (and they'll be back next year).

• Like 4

Jumping into the Oscar discussion late, but Seth MacFarlane was just a terrible choice. His jokes are Friar's club material and that's not really what the Oscars are about. That said, I still think the absolute worst has to be Franco and Hathaway. They had essentially no chemistry and Franco seemed to treat the whole affair with thinly veiled contempt. I get that, but it's a pretty shitty way to treat your audience.

• Like 1

I don't think there is much left to be said that hasn't been said already.

I'm so glad everyone here is on the Hathaway train...which ended up derailng this whole thread.

Β 

Soooooo sorry about that?

Β 

source.gif

Β 

^^ (DISCLAIMER!: .Gif used ONLY for comedic purposes and to try and steer the disscussion back to Baby Driver ;) You can still talk about whatever other subject you like but you can also post about B.D. as well, cuz I respectfully disagree with Cam Bert and I still have several things to say but Ill post some today)

Β 

In the end his character was kinda one note and that in combination with the Lily James character love story kinda bogged down the middle of the movie for me. Otherwise I really enjoyed it and the soundtrack.

Β 

I wish I could add more but this was just in theaters not so long ago so have to go by what I remember.

Β 

(I'll adress this and then post some more of my notes) The Debora character has little to none back story and development to work with and thats sad, but some reviews claimed that because this is a solo Edgar movie it didnt have the charm and heart that Simon Pegg brought to the Cornetto Trilogy ones, but honestly for ME I don't think that was the problem really... And Debora does say in the trial scene (via voice over) something to the effect that they were firends and wanted to be more. I would only be pissed off if that line was not in the original script but a post thought line to try and salvage the bits and pieces of the short relationship between Baby and Debora...

Β 

Moving on...

Β 

This could very well be my favourite movie of 2017 (The year is not over and many things could change with multiple viewings of this and other films of this year...)

Β 

One of the many MANY aspects that facinate me about B.D. is the way Baby sees and hears, the world around him... When you think about it the T.V. surfing scenes setup is a brilliant parallel of what an actual baby does when it first learns to speak for the first time. A bit of trial and error and its comunication skills evolve and improve. Of course is to make a point in a 2 hour movie but observation, imitation, repetition and trial and error are how we learn to do practically everything. And Baby takes it to the next level with his remixes and love for music that he does NOT download but steals from discarted iPods in all the stolen cars he drives... So he takes those with the songs from their owners (cuz he does not use or own a computer) and learns the playlist and uses them according to his mood

Β 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHbndkcLM6A

Β 

One of those T.V. clips is a 2003 Music Video also directed by Edgar that follows the same idea as the movie. He talked about it in many interviews but one of my favourites was in his guest appearence along with Jon Hamm in the CBB ep Face Fox https://soundcloud.c...jessica-mckenna

• Like 6

(Sorry for double post I just wanted/did it for the youtube preview)

Β 

P.S.: In the C.B.B. ep Edgar jokes that he went to an "All Male Screening of John Wick 2"

Β 

That movie also came out earlier this year and its a cool/epic coincidence that in both Baby Drivet and John Wick 2 (also in the running for my favourite movie of 2017 although IMHO the first John Wick is BETTER than its sequel) there is a weapons presentation scene where "the seller" reffers to the hardware as food products

Β 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIalODmFrZk

• Like 1

I know Bats insisted they go into the diner because of Baby's reaction to the initial choice but how did he know to pick that one in the first place?

• Like 1

Β 

And Baby takes it to the next level with his remixes and love for music that he does NOT download but steals from discarted iPods in all the stolen cars he drives... So he takes those with the songs from their owners (cuz he does not use or own a computer) and learns the playlist and uses them according to his mood

Β 

I Love the first conversation between Baby and Debora in the Dinner he says... that Trex has a song called Debora and she corrects him and say T.rex I'm guessing he knows the band name from the stolen iPod and its tagged TREX instead of T.Rex

Β 

In adition to iPods, Baby also steals sunglasses (thats why he has 3 pairs with him when Jon Bernthal smacks 2 from his face) and in the scene when he remixes "Was He Slow?" in one overhead shot a box full of sunglasses is seen at the left of frame (wich I caught in the last viewing for MM and also heard Edgar talk about it in interviews)

Β 

My favourite musical scene is the foot chace to Focus by Hocus Pocus

• Like 3