88 replies to this topic

#41 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:27 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 18 December 2017 - 05:26 PM, said:

Other than that, though, I really enjoy this movie. I think one of the best things Wright did was to have Elgort speak as little as possible. Anna Silman wrote a really great review when the movie came out about how letting Elgort speak only when absolutely necessary is probably the #1 thing that makes this movie work.

I didn't know Ansel Elgort was public enemy #1 before I watched Baby Driver. The only thing I've seen him in was one of the Divergent movies and tbh nobody really came off well in that.

#42 PollyDarton

Lusty Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:51 PM

I loved this so much and also didn't know much about it. Great Job Max!

The way they used the music was really fucking cool. In some ways it was like a very purposeful and modern version of the Dark Side Of The Rainbow.

I love how the music goes from diegetic to non diegetic seamlessly and at some point you realize that any music you hear is just what is playing in Baby's headphones. He seems to be able to shape his own reality with his music... or at least the way he perceives it.

Did this movie make anyone else want to watch this movie?
Posted Image

And also - Is it wrong that it kept making me think of Dirty Dancing?
Posted Image
Yes? It is wrong? Agreed.

#43 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:18 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 18 December 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

I didn't know Ansel Elgort was public enemy #1 before I watched Baby Driver. The only thing I've seen him in was one of the Divergent movies and tbh nobody really came off well in that.

He's not the most hated cast member now...

If anything, I assumed people liked Ansel Elgort but I only knew him from Fault In Our Stars.

#44 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:30 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 18 December 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

Wait what did Ansel do...
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#45 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:36 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 18 December 2017 - 09:30 PM, said:

The reviewer said that "Not since Les Miz–era Anne Hathaway has there been a celebrity who stoked the fires of public hatred quite like Ansel Elgort."

#46 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:40 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 18 December 2017 - 09:30 PM, said:

He's just kind of a douchey dude. Nothing that's like, "Oh, I can't watch his movies anymore" (at least not that I've heard)

View Posttomspanks, on 18 December 2017 - 09:36 PM, said:

The reviewer said that "Not since Les Miz–era Anne Hathaway has there been a celebrity who stoked the fires of public hatred quite like Ansel Elgort."

Also...I unashamedly have loved Anne Hathaway for years, and I never understood why everyone hated her so much.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#47 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:54 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 18 December 2017 - 09:40 PM, said:

Also...I unashamedly have loved Anne Hathaway for years, and I never understood why everyone hated her so much.

Me neither. The article said it was around the Les Miserables era but I can't remember what she did around that time.

#48 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:57 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 19 December 2017 - 05:54 AM, said:

Me neither. The article said it was around the Les Miserables era but I can't remember what she did around that time.

God I remember that too but I legit can't remember why either. I don't think there was a reason for it tbh.

But I'm glad at least Ansel isn't on the cancel list lol. I can deal with a bit of a douchey attitude these days as long as he's not a racist misogynistic pig.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#49 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:42 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 19 December 2017 - 06:57 AM, said:

But I'm glad at least Ansel isn't on the cancel list lol. I can deal with a bit of a douchey attitude these days as long as he's not a racist misogynistic pig.

The bar has been set so low these days, lol.

#50 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:45 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 19 December 2017 - 08:42 AM, said:

The bar has been set so low these days, lol.

Spoiler

#51 EvRobert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:04 AM

Dammit, now I can't remember why people didn't like Anne either, except that when it comes to Les Miz people get...weird about roles.

#52 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:12 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 19 December 2017 - 08:45 AM, said:

Spoiler

All he had to do was say "I heard rumors but didn't know anything concrete. And certainly not the extent that it was happening. I'll work to be better and more vigilant in the future." That's it. It doesn't excuse him but this dancing is embarrassing and harmful.

Tarantino looks better right now for just admitting it. And there's no way Tarantino is less racist and misogynist and creepy than he seems.

#53 SaraK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:16 AM

I thought the Anne thing was just over exposure - she was in a bunch of stuff at that time? Maybe? I don't know.

I loved her in Lip Sync Battle when I think she won a lot of those haters back

Posted Image

As for Ansel - I didn't see him in anything before this, so he was a blank slate for me.

View Postgrudlian., on 19 December 2017 - 09:12 AM, said:

All he had to do was say "I heard rumors but didn't know anything concrete. And certainly not the extent that it was happening. I'll work to be better and more vigilant in the future." That's it. It doesn't excuse him but this dancing is embarrassing and harmful.

Tarantino looks better right now for just admitting it. And there's no way Tarantino is less racist and misogynist and creepy than he seems.

I think Matt's issue is that he's friends with the Affleck brothers and they've been accused of so many different form of harassment. I assume he's trying to be pro-women and pro-Affleck at the same time.

#54 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:16 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 19 December 2017 - 06:57 AM, said:

God I remember that too but I legit can't remember why either. I don't think there was a reason for it tbh.

Honestly, I think it was because she's a "Theater Girl" who was really just excited to be doing what she was doing, and people wanted to read into that as some kind of affectation.

#55 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:18 AM

View Postgrudlian., on 19 December 2017 - 09:12 AM, said:

Marcus Henderson was on "I Was There Too" to talk about not only Get Out but also being in Django Unchained and it does seem like Tarantino is less racist than he seems. But that's just one dude's experience with him so idk lol.

#56 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:20 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 19 December 2017 - 09:16 AM, said:

Honestly, I think it was because she's a "Theater Girl" who was really just excited to be doing what she was doing, and people wanted to read into that as some kind of affectation.

Yeah I read a couple of articles trying to find a specific reason and it sounds like people were pissed that she actually wanted to win an Oscar and like... who expects her to not...???

#57 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:26 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 19 December 2017 - 09:20 AM, said:

Yeah I read a couple of articles trying to find a specific reason and it sounds like people were pissed that she actually wanted to win an Oscar and like... who expects her to not...???

Posted Image

#58 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:28 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 19 December 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

%20https://thumbs.gfycat.com/OddNeedyFlamingo-max-1mb.gif

Omg I finally caught up on YTW btw and
Spoiler

#59 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 19 December 2017 - 09:18 AM, said:

Marcus Henderson was on "I Was There Too" to talk about not only Get Out but also being in Django Unchained and it does seem like Tarantino is less racist than he seems. But that's just one dude's experience with him so idk lol.

I think Tarantino's racism is more from fetishizing people of color (specifically black and Asian people). That's still a really negative thing but, I guess in the realm of racism, it's kind of far down there.

#60 PollyDarton

Lusty Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:32 AM

I think Anne just became a national punching bag for awhile, which we do with celebs all the time... Anne just seemed to have her moment around Les Mis.
The larger theme is that she's too perfect?
This is not hard hitting journalism or anything, but it does show that people just want to hate her.
https://www.buzzfeed...Qyx#.ueBP2JzzG7