πŸ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Γ—
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 27 Baby Driver

Dammit, now I can't remember why people didn't like Anne either, except that when it comes to Les Miz people get...weird about roles.

• Like 2

Β 

And somehow Matt Damon can't figure out how to just step over it...

All he had to do was say "I heard rumors but didn't know anything concrete. And certainly not the extent that it was happening. I'll work to be better and more vigilant in the future." That's it. It doesn't excuse him but this dancing is embarrassing and harmful.

Β 

Tarantino looks better right now for just admitting it. And there's no way Tarantino is less racist and misogynist and creepy than he seems.

• Like 4

I thought the Anne thing was just over exposure - she was in a bunch of stuff at that time? Maybe? I don't know.

Β 

I loved her in Lip Sync Battle when I think she won a lot of those haters back

Β 

When-She-Didnt-Give-Single-Damn.gif

Β 

Β 

As for Ansel - I didn't see him in anything before this, so he was a blank slate for me.

Β 

All he had to do was say "I heard rumors but didn't know anything concrete. And certainly not the extent that it was happening. I'll work to be better and more vigilant in the future." That's it. It doesn't excuse him but this dancing is embarrassing and harmful.

Β 

Tarantino looks better right now for just admitting it. And there's no way Tarantino is less racist and misogynist and creepy than he seems.

Β 

I think Matt's issue is that he's friends with the Affleck brothers and they've been accused of so many different form of harassment. I assume he's trying to be pro-women and pro-Affleck at the same time.

• Like 5

God I remember that too but I legit can't remember why either. I don't think there was a reason for it tbh.

Honestly, I think it was because she's a "Theater Girl" who was really just excited to be doing what she was doing, and people wanted to read into that as some kind of affectation.

• Like 2

Marcus Henderson was on "I Was There Too" to talk about not only Get Out but also being in Django Unchained and it does seem like Tarantino is less racist than he seems. But that's just one dude's experience with him so idk lol.

• Like 4

Honestly, I think it was because she's a "Theater Girl" who was really just excited to be doing what she was doing, and people wanted to read into that as some kind of affectation.

Yeah I read a couple of articles trying to find a specific reason and it sounds like people were pissed that she actually wanted to win an Oscar and like... who expects her to not...???

• Like 3

Β 

Yeah I read a couple of articles trying to find a specific reason and it sounds like people were pissed that she actually wanted to win an Oscar and like... who expects her to not...???

OddNeedyFlamingo-max-1mb.gif

• Like 3

OddNeedyFlamingo-max-1mb.gif

Omg I finally caught up on YTW btw and

Β 

I was cheering really hard when Gretchen said "I choose myself" because like the girl just needed to be single but then she ran back to Jimmy and despite me rooting for them to get back together this whole season I was like gdi Gretchen lol.

Β 

Marcus Henderson was on "I Was There Too" to talk about not only Get Out but also being in Django Unchained and it does seem like Tarantino is less racist than he seems. But that's just one dude's experience with him so idk lol.

I think Tarantino's racism is more from fetishizing people of color (specifically black and Asian people). That's still a really negative thing but, I guess in the realm of racism, it's kind of far down there.

• Like 5

I think Anne just became a national punching bag for awhile, which we do with celebs all the time... Anne just seemed to have her moment around Les Mis.

The larger theme is that she's too perfect?

This is not hard hitting journalism or anything, but it does show that people just want to hate her.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzman/why-do-people-hate-anne-hathaway?utm_term=.rbv0vaQQyx#.ueBP2JzzG7

• Like 6

I think Anne just became a national punching bag for awhile, which we do with celebs all the time... Anne just seemed to have her moment around Les Mis.

The larger theme is that she's too perfect?

This is not hard hitting journalism or anything, but it does show that people just want to hate her.

https://www.buzzfeed...Qyx#.ueBP2JzzG7

Β 

enhanced-buzz-18401-1354818093-0.jpg?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

Β 

Aw I liked Ella Enchanted. Pretty different from the book but cute. Anne carried that movie.

Β 

That article made me sad.

• Like 3

I think Tarantino's racism is more from fetishizing people of color (specifically black and Asian people). That's still a really negative thing but, I guess in the realm of racism, it's kind of far down there.

Oh I completely agree. I guess my point was that he can seem super racist but after hearing how he took care of the black actors on set of Django and how he was very considerate of their mental state since your brain doesn't know that you're just acting when you have a bunch of white people yelling the N word at you all day then it seemed like he wasn't as racist as I thought he was.

Β 

However, yes, that doesn't mean he isn't or can't be. All of us white people consistently need to better ourselves and strive to keep learning.

• Like 5

Everything on this list is subjective except being worse than Vanessa Hudgins. Girl needs to check herself on that because in what world?

Β 

EDIT: Also, Anne Hathaway didn't ruin dark knight. She want great but that movie had a host of problems beyond Anne Hathaway.

• Like 6

Β 

EDIT: Also, Anne Hathaway didn't ruin dark knight. She want great but that movie had a host of problems beyond Anne Hathaway.

Β 

I love The Dark Knight Rises, even though I know all its flaws. And Hathaway is one of the best parts of that movie. That early scene where she steals from Bruce is one of my favorite intros in the trilogy.

• Like 5

Everything on this list is subjective except being worse than Vanessa Hudgins. Girl needs to check herself on that because in what world?

excuse me... this is the wrong group to be dissing Vanessa Hudgens like that, lol.

200.gif#11-grid1

Β 

Β 

jk

Β 

• Like 4

I love The Dark Knight Rises, even though I know all its flaws. And Hathaway is one of the best parts of that movie. That early scene where she steals from Bruce is one of my favorite intros in the trilogy.

Β 

Really? I thought June Diane Raphael's cameo was the best part.

Β 

Β 

bd861619746842ffae2077b35f44c69f--cillian-murphy-scarecrow-crane-batman.jpg

Β 

• Like 8

Β 

Her intro is great. I love the physicality she brought in it because she moved like Catwoman should move. I didn't think any of her scenes afterward lived up to that moment though.

Β 

excuse me... this is the wrong group to be dissing Vanessa Hudgens like that, lol.

200.gif#11-grid1

Β 

Β 

jk

I admit to not being an expert on Vanessa but I've seen Sucker Punch. That's enough for me lol

• Like 4

Oh I completely agree. I guess my point was that he can seem super racist but after hearing how he took care of the black actors on set of Django and how he was very considerate of their mental state since your brain doesn't know that you're just acting when you have a bunch of white people yelling the N word at you all day then it seemed like he wasn't as racist as I thought he was.

Β 

However, yes, that doesn't mean he isn't or can't be. All of us white people consistently need to better ourselves and strive to keep learning.

Q reminds me of a very specific type of white boy who, after ingratiating himself into the community of color, forgets what it looks like when he says the N-word as much as he does. His "dead n***** storage" exchange in Pulp Fiction comes off as way over the top, even in a movie that uses the word 100 times, because in that moment it's being very casually said by a very calm white dude who's just stirring his coffee.

Β 

I never read it as racism ... more an inappropriate co-opting of black culture. I imagine, if Q was a little bit younger, he'd have ended up less fast-talking 80s cool and more like Seth Green's character in Can't Hardly Wait

tumblr_mq0f25IWC51qb9pa3o1_500.gif

Β 

Also (unpopular opinion warning) I don't hate Vanessa Hudgens. I never saw any of the High School Musicals so I'm not tainted. Spring Breakers was ok. I didn't mind Sucker Punch. I won't defend its quality, but I thought it looked cool as hell. And I liked her in Powerless, mediocre as it was.

• Like 3

Β 

Β 

Anne H. was the BEST THING in TDKR

Β 

I disliked TDKR and I saw it on the premiere and on saturday and my face for both showings was this...

Β 

giphy.gif

Β 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Wp3dafaMQ

Β 

^^ This video explains why TDKR is an inferior film than Begins and TDK

Β 

I'm not blaming anybody that was involved in the making of the movie... It was just a combination of things... I was ΓΌber hyped and IMHO Nolan made it that way to make sure he didn't have to direct a Batman movie again.

Β 

Spoiler Warning for TDKR

Β 

I would of LOVED if Batman had actually died at the end because of the explotion...

Also Nolan ripped off that plot point from the Adam West Batman Movie lol

00125.jpg

Β 

Β 

Β 

*Rant Over*

• Like 4

Β 

Really? I thought June Diane Raphael's cameo was the best part.

Β 

Β 

bd861619746842ffae2077b35f44c69f--cillian-murphy-scarecrow-crane-batman.jpg

Β 

I'm so fucking mad I didn't see this joke coming before I clicked (it's a good one, though).

Β 

Her intro is great. I love the physicality she brought in it because she moved like Catwoman should move. I didn't think any of her scenes afterward lived up to that moment though.

Β 

I think she's great throughout. Both of her scenes with Ben Mendelsohn are awesome. But I especially love the bar scene with the fingerprints.

• Like 4

Sorry I've been busy and unable to get to the thread until now but I don't think there is much left to be said that hasn't been said already.

Β 

Here's my problem with the Jamie Foxx character, he's playing a trope that I hate in movies. I'm sure one of you will know the term for it but it's just that role of "bad guy that is crazy/untrustworthy/unstable that nobody likes or trusts or wants around but one character who protects them and in the end as expected ruins everything." You know that character that makes you wonder why the group is keeping them around because it's clear they will ruin everything out of selfish or nonthinking reasons. It's just the moment that type of character shows up you know where it is going and story is not as interesting as it could be. The story doesn't feel like it builds or grows because we know that character will just ruin everything and it is a waiting game until that happens. It was a little annoying to me in this case because you already had a similar but more subdued character earlier in the movie with Jon Bernthal. He knows what Baby can do but doesn't trust him because he's off. That character could have come back and slow burned and ended up at like a ten on the angry/distrusting scale like Jamie Foxx was. Instead Jamie Foxx come in at a nine and half and after two sentences is at ten and you know instantly that he's going to bring everyone down. In the end his character was kinda one note and that in combination with the Lily James character love story kinda bogged down the middle of the movie for me. Otherwise I really enjoyed it and the soundtrack.

Β 

I wish I could add more but this was just in theaters not so long ago so have to go by what I remember. But what I do remember is Anne Hathaway, and I do have comments on that. I honestly don't get why everybody jumped on the hate train for her either. The thing that boggles my mind even more about it is that her personal life isn't a mess. She isn't cheating on her husband or sleeping with married directors or making drama. She doesn't make a bunch of half assed foot in mouth kind of statements either. When I have seen her interviewed she always seems very friendly and open. Heck, I remember her once on a interview show here and she was extremely polite and kind and went along with things which cannot be said of a lot of foreign celebs who have to promote things here. The other thing is she is actually a talented actress as well. Yes the Oscars she hosted were terrible but then again what year isn't really?

• Like 6

Yes the Oscars she hosted were terrible but then again what year isn't really?

I still think that it was a horrible idea to place her with James (who I now learned from his WTF interview was trying to be the straight man to her wacky comedic performance and none of it ended up working)

Β 

My favorite hosts were Hugh Jackman and then Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin. Those guys in my memory fuckin killed it and kinda set the tone for Anne to come and do song and dance stuff, which could have worked if she had been paired with someone who was a song and dance person.

• Like 3

I've been meaning to listen to that Franco interview is it worth it?

• Like 1

I'm so glad everyone here is on the Hathaway train...which ended up derailng this whole thread.

Β 

Soooooo sorry about that?

• Like 2