Episode 178 - Superman IV: The Quest For Peace: LIVE!

76 replies to this topic

#41 EvRobert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:46 AM

I can't believe that ya'll forgot about Pink Kryptonite which makes Superman gay.

I wish I was making this up.

#42 SeaSkunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationThe Bunker

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:00 AM

I think Lois "flew" beside Superman instead of dangling because he was going so fast. She was like a windsock in a hurricane. I bet she wished she had goggles.

#43 PodMeIfYouCan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:03 PM

A bit off Topic BUT... Remember when Jason said he thought it was pronounced 'Reecey's Peeceys' in a previous episode? Instead of Reece's Pieces. So i was watching the 1986 film 'Lucas' with Corey Haim and Charlie Sheen and the bully comes into the cinema candy bar and orders them by pronouncing them 'Reecey's Peeceys'. Reminded me of How Did this Get made right away.

#44 What's Its Mission?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:27 PM

I ask you all... did you ever wonder who attended the UK premier for this film??

Posted Image

#45 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:11 PM

View PostWhat's Its Mission?, on 23 December 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

I ask you all... did you ever wonder who attended the UK premier for this film??

How did Mark Pillow clear out his schedule?

#46 PollyDarton

Lusty Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationHocksville, TN

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:14 PM

All right guys - it may be the old eggnog talking, but I've been thinking and it seems to me that Superman has some stuff in common with another nice guy in red:
Posted Image
I'll start... they both know all the languages of the world. Superman speaks a few languages in SIV and SC...

#47 sycasey 2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:09 AM

One of the audience members did mention how Lex was somehow able to sign a lease on an apartment despite being a fugitive, which is a fair point. But I'm also wondering how he's able to go ANYWHERE and do ANYTHING in this movie. He's busted out of prison in VERY conspicuous fashion by his VERY conspicuous nephew (all the prisoners and guards on site heard Lenny's name and saw what happened). Lex is already a famous supervillain, owing to his previous tussles with Superman. He also not only has an apartment, he has what appears to be a very ostentatious penthouse apartment in the middle of Manhattan (or whatever they call that part of Metropolis). He's not even attempting to hide himself.

When Superman destroyed all the nukes, did he also cause every law-enforcement agency in America to close up shop?

#48 Cameron H.

Cookin' With Potatoes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,846 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:22 AM

Happy Life-Day, everyone!

Posted Image

Keep it classy.
Max: You know what? I can’t do this for another second.
Geostorm (2017)

"Pack up!"
Om Shanti Om (2007)

#49 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:41 AM

View Postsycasey 2.0, on 24 December 2017 - 08:09 AM, said:

One of the audience members did mention how Lex was somehow able to sign a lease on an apartment despite being a fugitive, which is a fair point. But I'm also wondering how he's able to go ANYWHERE and do ANYTHING in this movie. He's busted out of prison in VERY conspicuous fashion by his VERY conspicuous nephew (all the prisoners and guards on site heard Lenny's name and saw what happened). Lex is already a famous supervillain, owing to his previous tussles with Superman. He also not only has an apartment, he has what appears to be a very ostentatious penthouse apartment in the middle of Manhattan (or whatever they call that part of Metropolis). He's not even attempting to hide himself.

When Superman destroyed all the nukes, did he also cause every law-enforcement agency in America to close up shop?

Maybe I'm getting the timeline of the movie mixed up but doesn't Superman interact with Lex Luthor midway through the movie? Before Luthor created Nuclear Man? Why didn't Superman just take him to the police then?

#50 The Triple Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 24 December 2017 - 10:13 AM

View PostSeaSkunk, on 23 December 2017 - 11:00 AM, said:

I think Lois "flew" beside Superman instead of dangling because he was going so fast. She was like a windsock in a hurricane. I bet she wished she had goggles.

Oh man, good point. If she was going so fast that she achieved lift-off, the wind buffeting would've been nightmarish ... anyone who has ever ridden a motorcycle or stuck their head out of a moving car window knows that you can't even breath, let alone keep your eyes open. Not to mention getting hit by the bugs and random airborne detritus. She'd be getting the crap knocked out of her.

#51 The Triple Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 24 December 2017 - 10:15 AM

View PostWhat's Its Mission?, on 23 December 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

Posted Image

Was Margot on her way to prom after this?

#52 sycasey 2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:14 PM

View Postgrudlian., on 24 December 2017 - 09:41 AM, said:

Maybe I'm getting the timeline of the movie mixed up but doesn't Superman interact with Lex Luthor midway through the movie? Before Luthor created Nuclear Man? Why didn't Superman just take him to the police then?

Perhaps he was under red kryptonite influence.

#53 sycasey 2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:15 PM

View PostCameron H., on 24 December 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

Happy Life-Day, everyone!

Posted Image

Keep it classy.

Posted Image

#54 Chopping MAL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:36 PM

The entire chain gang scene is ridiculous.

Having only two guards for a chain gang seems stupid especially when that chain gang includes a man who almost sank California into the ocean! Not to mention having successfully escaped from prison before. Honestly how is Lex not in a maximum security prison or on death row? He used missles to cause an earthquake on US soil. Then teams up with alien conquerors to take over the country! And at the end of this movie Superman drops him back off at prison and says to him "See you in twenty". TWENTY?!

Multiple attempts at world domination and escaping prison twice only gets you twenty?

#55 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 06:02 PM

View PostChopping MAL, on 24 December 2017 - 06:36 PM, said:

The entire chain gang scene is ridiculous.

Having only two guards for a chain gang seems stupid especially when that chain gang includes a man who almost sank California into the ocean! Not to mention having successfully escaped from prison before. Honestly how is Lex not in a maximum security prison or on death row? He used missles to cause an earthquake on US soil. Then teams up with alien conquerors to take over the country! And at the end of this movie Superman drops him back off at prison and says to him "See you in twenty". TWENTY?!

Multiple attempts at world domination and escaping prison twice only gets you twenty?

My issue with Lex Luthor's imprisonment isn't how unguarded he is while in prison or how easily he escaped his chain gang: it's that he's in jail at all! He's a white billionaire, how many of those guys actually do hard time for anything? Hell, Donald Trump is basically Stupid Sex Criminal Luthor with a less snazzy wardrobe, and he's the God damn president!
"Warning: Detected synaptic seepage. Neural failure within 24 hours... Welcome to Newark."
- Johnny Mnemonic (1995)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#56 Chopping MAL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:24 AM

View PostQuasar Sniffer, on 25 December 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

My issue with Lex Luthor's imprisonment isn't how unguarded he is while in prison or how easily he escaped his chain gang: it's that he's in jail at all! He's a white billionaire, how many of those guys actually do hard time for anything? Hell, Donald Trump is basically Stupid Sex Criminal Luthor with a less snazzy wardrobe, and he's the God damn president!

Maybe that's why the police and even Superman treat him with such a slap on the wrist attitude. Like "Here goes Lex again, trying to take over the world. Ha Ha Ha oh well lets put him in a minimum security prison for a little bit. Boys will be boys."

I would say maybe that was a commentary the films were trying to make, but I think that would be giving them too much credit.

#57 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:07 AM

Is now the appropriate time to mention that Sidney J. Furie won a BAFTA award and was nominated for the Palme D'Or for the 1965 thriller, The Ipcress File?

Long way from that to being fired from the Jazz Singer and directing Superman IV.

#58 NaughtyByNurture

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:30 AM

In "The Quest for Peace" Superman decides to rid the world of the threat of nuclear war by collecting all the nuclear weapons and throwing them into the Sun, which would presumably detonate them. In the movie this makes Nuclear Man, but in reality the results would be much worse.

In the 1950s and 1960s NASA experimented with the affects of detonating nuclear weapons in space. What they found was that because there wasn't any atmosphere to slow the nuclear explosion, the radiation would travel farther and produce a higher frequency of radiation than those weapons detonated on Earth. They also found that the farther out into space they took the weapons, the more you intensify its radioactive levels and reach.

In 1987 when the movie came out there were 61,662 total nuclear warheads worldwide. If Superman detonated all of these bombs in the Sun that means high levels of radiation would spread across a huge expanse of outer space, having untold negative consequences on planets and other celestial bodies.

When the radiation of all those nukes reached Earth it would have disastrous consequences. Although the radiation would be burned up in the atmosphere, and thus wouldn't be a high enough level to kill anyone, the radiation hitting the atmosphere would release a giant Electromagnetic Pulse. This EMP would knock out power grids and communication networks, potentially on a global scale.

Superman may have ended mutually assured destruction, but he basically created a dystopian hell-scape where space is ruined with radiation and the world doesn't have power.

#59 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:52 AM

View PostNaughtyByNurture, on 26 December 2017 - 09:30 AM, said:

In "The Quest for Peace" Superman decides to rid the world of the threat of nuclear war by collecting all the nuclear weapons and throwing them into the Sun, which would presumably detonate them. In the movie this makes Nuclear Man, but in reality the results would be much worse.

In the 1950s and 1960s NASA experimented with the affects of detonating nuclear weapons in space. What they found was that because there wasn't any atmosphere to slow the nuclear explosion, the radiation would travel farther and produce a higher frequency of radiation than those weapons detonated on Earth. They also found that the farther out into space they took the weapons, the more you intensify its radioactive levels and reach.

In 1987 when the movie came out there were 61,662 total nuclear warheads worldwide. If Superman detonated all of these bombs in the Sun that means high levels of radiation would spread across a huge expanse of outer space, having untold negative consequences on planets and other celestial bodies.

When the radiation of all those nukes reached Earth it would have disastrous consequences. Although the radiation would be burned up in the atmosphere, and thus wouldn't be a high enough level to kill anyone, the radiation hitting the atmosphere would release a giant Electromagnetic Pulse. This EMP would knock out power grids and communication networks, potentially on a global scale.

Superman may have ended mutually assured destruction, but he basically created a dystopian hell-scape where space is ruined with radiation and the world doesn't have power.

but if we all saved our work first we'd be good to pick up where we left off though right???

#60 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:23 AM

View PostNaughtyByNurture, on 26 December 2017 - 09:30 AM, said:

Not exactly sure? Most (if not all) present day nuclear weapons are thermonuclear (e.g. hydrogen bombs). While they have a fission (uranium) component, the vast majority of the power generated derives from the fusion of hydrogen. The relatively minor difference in mass between four hydrogen atoms and one helium atom yields a massive amount of energy (per E=mc²) and so these bombs are quite powerful!

But the entire core of the sun is hydrogen gas, and the sun generates energy through fusion reactions. Detonating mankind's entire nuclear arsenal on its surface would hardly make a blip in the sun's regular output. After all, the earth (and all its fissile material) probably came from the sun to begin with. And while radiation, like all particles, will expand to fill a greater volume in the vastness of space, it will also be more dilute. I don't think it would matter particularly much. It's also worth pointing out that almost none of those particles would be able to escape the Sun's massive gravitational field in the first place.

In other words, the Superman disposal plan is totally solid.... I think?