🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
IMAHUGEHDTGMFAN

Musical Mondays Week 28 Preview (SaraK’s 2nd Pick)

I took the liberty of starting this thread...

SaraK... Are you ready to unveil the last Musical Monday Pick of 2017???

giphy.gif

• Like 6

Oh it’s me?! I thought there was someone before me!

Let me think and I’ll get back in a few, sorry!

• Like 6

Ok, so I was thinking about this for the last few hours. I was all in favor of a Christmas movie, like A Muppets Christmas Carol or The Year Without A Santa Claus (which is my favorite Rankin/Bass movie). But as today has gone on, I have gotten Christmas-ed out.

So! I decided to keep the religion and fun, but none of the holiday

sister_act_two.jpg

"BUT!" you might say, "I never say the first one!" Do not worry my friends, not only does this sequel have very little to do with the plot of the first movie, but Whoopi's character does a musical recap of Movie 1 to start this one. Seriously, the nun characters are the same, but there's a completely different location, plot, motivations and everyone gets a lot sillier. The first one is pretty good with heavier themes. This is...not that.

Also Lauryn Hill is in this. Also, Jennifer Love Hewitt.

This movie is like comfort food for me, which is perfect for winter weather (for me, in Chicagoland). I saw several full movie versions on Youtube and on HBO.

• Like 8

I guess I'm OK in saying I've seen nun of them?

Google Play had a "$0.99 first rental" special so I rented through there. Will watch it later this week. Seeing The Greatest Showman for free tomorrow night. (I bought the Rocky Horror Picture Show Blu-Ray for $5.99 last week and it had a coupon for up to $8 off the ticket. Tomorrow night is $6 so it was free.)

• Like 6

Ok, so I was thinking about this for the last few hours. I was all in favor of a Christmas movie, like A Muppets Christmas Carol or The Year Without A Santa Claus (which is my favorite Rankin/Bass movie). But as today has gone on, I have gotten Christmas-ed out.

So! I decided to keep the religion and fun, but none of the holiday

sister_act_two.jpg

"BUT!" you might say, "I never say the first one!" Do not worry my friends, not only does this sequel have very little to do with the plot of the first movie, but Whoopi's character does a musical recap of Movie 1 to start this one. Seriously, the nun characters are the same, but there's a completely different location, plot, motivations and everyone gets a lot sillier. The first one is pretty good with heavier themes. This is...not that.

Also Lauryn Hill is in this. Also, Jennifer Love Hewitt.

This movie is like comfort food for me, which is perfect for winter weather (for me, in Chicagoland). I saw several full movie versions on Youtube and on HBO.

This is one of those franchises that I weirdly never saw as a kid even though I was the exact right age to watch this a dozen times. Now I have the motivation I probably never would have gotten otherwise. So, I'm pretty excited to check these out.

• Like 6

I guess I'm OK in saying I've seen nun of them?

Google Play had a "$0.99 first rental" special so I rented through there. Will watch it later this week. Seeing The Greatest Showman for free tomorrow night. (I bought the Rocky Horror Picture Show Blu-Ray for $5.99 last week and it had a coupon for up to $8 off the ticket. Tomorrow night is $6 so it was free.)

I saw Greatest Showman tonight. It's...something. A critic I follow on Letterboxd described it as "The worst movie I've ever liked," and I thought that was fitting (there are a couple of genuinely awesome musical numbers, though, that I think make it well worth the time).

ANYWAY, excited for SA2! I saw the first one soooo many times growing up, but I've only seen this one once. I've been meaning to revisit it ever since Broad City did their homage to it last year, but I've just never gotten around to it.

• Like 7

I saw Greatest Showman tonight. It's...something. A critic I follow on Letterboxd described it as "The worst movie I've ever liked," and I thought that was fitting (there are a couple of genuinely awesome musical numbers, though, that I think make it well worth the time).

That's a bummer. I was really looking forward to it - and I've enjoyed the songs they released - but when the reviews came in, my mom and I decided to not go. Do you think its worth seeing in the theatres? Or can I wait til its released streaming and rent it at home?

• Like 4

Great pick, Sara! I've been wanting to watch these all year, but since I've been trying to do the DLM Challenge, if I had the choice in watching a movie that I had seen before versus one I had never seen, I tried to always go for the latter. This gives me an excuse to watch it anyway. ;)

btw - Both 1 and 2 are on HBO Go.

• Like 7

That's a bummer. I was really looking forward to it - and I've enjoyed the songs they released - but when the reviews came in, my mom and I decided to not go. Do you think its worth seeing in the theatres? Or can I wait til its released streaming and rent it at home?

I just saw it and really enjoyed it. I think the theater helps because of the enlarged images and sound. (Plus Hugh Jackman and the director came on before the movie and thanked us for seeing it in the theater "as it was meant to be seen".) I will probably go see it again soon and I bought the soundtrack on iTunes tonight.

• Like 1

Great pick, Sara! I've been wanting to watch these all year, but since I've been trying to do the DLM Challenge, if I had the choice in watching a movie that I had seen before versus one I had never seen, I tried to always go for the latter. This gives me an excuse to watch it anyway. ;)

btw - Both 1 and 2 are on HBO Go.

Thanks for mentioning HBO Go. I was checking Verizon FIOS services the other day and noticed I apparently have HBO even though I don't have a cable box any longer. I logged into the HBO website and sure enough! I do have HBO! Cool!

Omg this is like my high school days coming back in full force! We had to perform the final song from SA1 my junior year and then my senior year we watched SA2 during a slow day and my friend group and I became obsessed with Lauryn Hill (not like we weren't already in love with her but specifically her in this movie cause she is amazing).

• Like 3

Seeing as this week is a bit of a weird one, how would everyone feel if next week we made it Musical "Tuesday" instead of Monday? I just feel like a lot of people might still be in Holiday mode - myself included.

• Like 5

Seeing as this week is a bit of a weird one, how would everyone feel if next week we made it Musical "Tuesday" instead of Monday? I just feel like a lot of people might still be in Holiday mode - myself included.

I'm cool with that

tenor.gif?itemid=4765490

• Like 4

sister-act-gif-1450365032.gif

• Like 3

Happy Holiday Season everyone! Hope you have fun NYE plans. I will not have any until mid day on the 31st.

sister-act-2.gif

Also on Offbook they were joking about this movie at the end of this week's episode! Random.

• Like 3

:This movie was on my short list but had pretty much decided against it, so I'm so happy. This is a genuine How Did This Get Made and I can't wait to discuss it with you guys.

• Like 3

I just saw it and really enjoyed it. I think the theater helps because of the enlarged images and sound. (Plus Hugh Jackman and the director came on before the movie and thanked us for seeing it in the theater "as it was meant to be seen".) I will probably go see it again soon and I bought the soundtrack on iTunes tonight.

I don't want to get too much into it because I'm hoping in about 3-4 months, someone will choose this as a MM pick. I think there's a TON to talk about, and it'll make for a great discussion.

So, the main thing is that it ultimately comes down to a glorification of a total garbage person. Barnum was a terrible (and terribly racist) dude that exploited the people who the movie has praise him. I think I would have liked it a lot more if it weren't presented as a biopic but was instead presented as a fictional story inspired by PT Barnum (which is actually what it is). Or if they had done the movie as being about the circus performers and told their stories, I'd be really into it. The hero worship of Barnum, though, just really turned me off.

All that said, fucking Zac Efron needs to get back in the musical game right now. He's so good in this, and his song with Zendaya was the standout scene for me. And while Jackman can sing and dance very well, Efron blows him away as soon as they have their first song together.

Anyway, have a thing I found earlier:

• Like 2

Aaaaaand I watched SA2 tonight. I have so much to say and I totally should have waited until the night before to watch it because now I'm going to have to wait and probably forget all the things I was going to say.

This movie is something else. Good pick, SaraK!

• Like 1

I can’t remember who said they hadn’t seen it, but the first season of Pushing Daisies is currently on iTunes for 4.99

• Like 2

So, the main thing is that it ultimately comes down to a glorification of a total garbage person. Barnum was a terrible (and terribly racist) dude that exploited the people who the movie has praise him. I think I would have liked it a lot more if it weren't presented as a biopic but was instead presented as a fictional story inspired by PT Barnum (which is actually what it is). Or if they had done the movie as being about the circus performers and told their stories, I'd be really into it. The hero worship of Barnum, though, just really turned me off.

Man I read your review on Letterboxd and didn't even know about some of the shit he did but I've always hated the dude for his mistreatment of animals in order to "entertain." He really is a garbage person.

I just realized I never watched Muppet Christmas Carol and would like to discuss it afterward. Would it be OK if I watched it this weekend and posted notes in here?

• Like 4

I don't want to get too much into it because I'm hoping in about 3-4 months, someone will choose this as a MM pick. I think there's a TON to talk about, and it'll make for a great discussion. So, the main thing is that it ultimately comes down to a glorification of a total garbage person. Barnum was a terrible (and terribly racist) dude that exploited the people who the movie has praise him. I think I would have liked it a lot more if it weren't presented as a biopic but was instead presented as a fictional story inspired by PT Barnum (which is actually what it is). Or if they had done the movie as being about the circus performers and told their stories, I'd be really into it. The hero worship of Barnum, though, just really turned me off. All that said, fucking Zac Efron needs to get back in the musical game right now. He's so good in this, and his song with Zendaya was the standout scene for me. And while Jackman can sing and dance very well, Efron blows him away as soon as they have their first song together. Anyway, have a thing I found earlier:

Sheer genius video!

I just realized I never watched Muppet Christmas Carol and would like to discuss it afterward. Would it be OK if I watched it this weekend and posted notes in here?

I have absolutely no problem with this.

• Like 3

I have absolutely no problem with this.

Me neither! I did a rewatch for Christmas so I'm down for a discussion!

• Like 3