🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SlidePocket

Batman Forever (1995)

The beginning of the end when Joel Schumacher took over. Val Kilmer takes over for Michael Keaton, where he leaves little impression in the main role. Tommy Lee Jones tries to out-act Jim Carrey as to who goes over-the-top more, which leaves them to despise each other off-camera. Chris O'Donnell makes his first appearance as Robin, and Nicole Kidman flirts with Batman constantly as a sexy psychologist.

I think Tommy Lee Jones is great in this, fight me. I mean, BONKERS, obviously. But the kind of bonkers you want from a guy who TWO FACES.

• Like 1

Yeah for me the best parts of the Schumacher Batman films were 3 out of his 5 villains (Two-Face, Riddler, Mr. Freeze) because the actors I felt realized the type of movie being made and decided to go all out in the campiness. Probably as soon as they saw the neon decor they realized it needn't be a serious performance.

• Like 3

I would support this choice if they hadn't already done B&R - which is way worse in my opinion. I don't know if there's much to be gained by going backward in a franchise. It feels like it would be pretty much the same discussion, except the crazy things that were in B&R, would be more diluted here.

• Like 3

Yeah for me the best parts of the Schumacher Batman films were 3 out of his 5 villains (Two-Face, Riddler, Mr. Freeze) because the actors I felt realized the type of movie being made and decided to go all out in the campiness. Probably as soon as they saw the neon decor they realized it needn't be a serious performance.

Omg I will still defend Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy forever and ever (no lie)

Also I still argue that this one is actually worse than B&R because this wasn't trying to be campy but I fully believe that B&R was.

I now want to see a video of the neon paint salesman who made his millions by selling his wares to the makers of this film. As for this film being bad or nutso, I think the only thing that stood out as being crazy outside of the whole sucking info out of people's brains was the fact that Nicole Kidman's character was involved in a love triangle with the other two parties being the same person.

I also find it funny that recent Batman characterizations, in both the comics and film, have been accused of breaking Batman's "cardinal rule" of no killing, forgetting that Batman basically killed someone or caused the death of someone in each of the films, outside of B&R and The Dark Knight. This one he literally causes his old friend to fall to his death by toying with his compulsion, which is similar to the first appearance of Two-Face in the comics, when Batman killed him by knocking him off a ledge onto a wire behind a drive-in movie screen, hanging him for everyone to see.

Sign in to follow this