🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RyanSz

Top/Bottom films of 2017

Since it's the end of the year I thought I would find out what everyone's favorite and least favorite films of the year are. For the list, they should be limited to films that were released this year, not ones that you might have seen this year but were released earlier, though that can get mixed up at times as IMDB posts the release year of a film as its production year rather than when it was actually released.

Here's my bottom 15:

1. Kuso

2. WTF!

3. Dirty Dancing (remake)

4. Underworld: Blood Wars

5. Power Rangers

6. Red Christmas

7. Bad Frank

8. XXX: the Return of Xander Cage

9. Jackals

10. Life

11. The Vault

12. Geostorm

13. Live By Night

14. The Hitman's Bodyguard

15. The Bad Batch

Top 15:

1. The Disaster Artist

2. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

3. Logan

4. Get Out

5. It

6. The Shape of Water

7. Logan Lucky

8. Wonder Woman

9. John Wick Chapter 2

10. Thor: Ragnarok

11. Spider-Man: Homecoming

12. Baby Driver

13. Split

14. Wind River

15. Shot Caller/Brawl in Cell Block 99 (Tie)

• Like 1

I didn't get to see so many new releases this year, given babysitter costs etc.

But of those that I saw, "The Big Sick" and "Coco" were movies that I liked quite a lot.

"Logan" and "Guardians of the Galaxy 2", I didn't care for as much.

• Like 4

This year was a bit harder for me as I didn't see as many movies as I had last year when I did the Doug Loves Movies Challenge, so the last five of my bottom fifteen really aren't unwatchable films, but they were still really bad. Kuso was a disgusting and unwatchable nightmare.

• Like 3

This topic has me thinking if we'd like to do our own pseudo awards show. We've discussed a lot of movies and performances that probably won't get recognized by the Oscars. I thought it might be fun to do that here with people whose opinions I enjoy hearing. We wouldn't have to do it for all the awards. Maybe just the big five or something.

If people are interested, here's how I think it could work. Just rank your top 5 or 10 from each category in order. #1 would be worth 10 points, #2 would be worth 9 points and so on. The one with the most points wins. People could PM me with their lists then I could post the results.

I'm not quite ready to do a top movies list yet. There are still about a half dozen that haven't been released near me or I haven't made time before today that I suspect might make my top 10-20. Here's my bottom 10 though.

1. mother!

2. King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword

3. Bitter Harvest

4. Baywatch

5. The Babysitter

6. The Mummy

7. The Book Of Henry

8. Wonder Wheel

9. The Great Wall

10. Fist Fight

• Like 3

Well, it looks like I’ve only seen 21 movies released in 2017 so I guess I’ll just list them all in order from worst to best.

21) The Great Wall

20) The Mummy

19) King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

18) xxx: Return of Xander Cage

17) Smurfs: The Lost Village

16) Alien: Covenant

15) Underworld: Blood Wars

14) The Boss Baby

13) Logan

12) Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

11) Beauty and the Beast

10) Wonder Woman

9) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

8) Kong: Skull Island

7) Lego Batman Movie

6) Power Rangers

5) The Big Sick

4) Spider-man: Homecoming

3) Captain Underpants

2) Get Out

1)

7469.jpg

• Like 4

Well, it looks like I’ve only seen 21 movies released in 2017 so I guess I’ll just list them all in order from worst to best.

Are we not counting Netflix movies?

• Like 5

Oh, shit! You’re right, Tom! How could I forget The Christmas Prince and Christmas Inheritance? I just looked up 2017 movies on Wikipedia. I guess they didn’t include Netflix/Amazon releases.

I may have to reevaluate...

• Like 4

1)

7469.jpg

21w33h.jpg

Did just realize that my two true honorable mentions for the year are Kong and Better Watch Out, which if you haven't seen is a great twist on the precocious kid getting the best of unwanted guests in his house, backed by an amazing trailer campaign that revealed NOTHING of the true premise of the film.

• Like 4

1)

7469.jpg

tumblr_m3uec7orxg1qeogr5o2_250.gif

I'm glad you pushed this movie so hard. I wouldn't have seen it otherwise and it's not a terrible movie. While that doesn't sound like praise, I hate hate hated the trailer so much. So, even kind of, sort of liking it is a big step up from what I expected to think about the movie.

• Like 5

1. Get Out

2. Wonder Woman

3. Lady Bird

4. Mudbound

5. The Big Sick

6. The Disaster Artist

7. Thor: Ragnarok

8. Okja

9. Jim & Andy

10. Logan

BOTTOM (from worst to least worst)

1. A Christmas Prince

2. Death Note

3. Amityville: The Awakening

4. The Babysitter

And that's actually where I have to stop because I don't actively try and watch something in theaters I know I'm gonna hate. I would much rather spend the money on other good films. So I can't say I hated anything else I saw this year, or even disliked in any way. Yes that includes Geostorm. I had a fuckin blast seeing it and I regret nothing lol.

• Like 6

This time of year is always really hard for me because a lot of the awards movies don't normally come out here until February/March-ish. So there are movies that I really want to see like Three Billboards, Lady Bird, Big Sick, etc that I just don't get to see within the calendar year. That said bottom is pretty easy to do.

1. The Babysitter

2. Baywatch

3. Death Note

4. The Mummy

5. C.H.I.P.s

Dishonorable mentions go to Alien: Covenant which is a terrible movie but technically well done so I don't know if I can put it the top 5, and King Arthur which I just saw and need more time to absorb.

• Like 6

1. Get Out

2. Wonder Woman

3. Lady Bird

4. Mudbound

5. The Big Sick

6. The Disaster Artist

7. Thor: Ragnarok

8. Okja

9. Jim & Andy

10. Logan

BOTTOM (from worst to least worst)

1. A Christmas Prince

2. Death Note

3. Amityville: The Awakening

4. The Babysitter

And that's actually where I have to stop because I don't actively try and watch something in theaters I know I'm gonna hate. I would much rather spend the money on other good films. So I can't say I hated anything else I saw this year, or even disliked in any way. Yes that includes Geostorm. I had a fuckin blast seeing it and I regret nothing lol.

I don't try to see things I would hate, I just end up hating them after. I was hoping Power Rangers would be good and then just left the theater furious, and Geostorm was amazingly awesome shit and I knew it would be, but in terms of the movies I saw this year it falls near the back end of the spectrum. Then there's things I feel will be utter shit like CHIPS or Baywatch and I just don't even bother, so they won't make my list since I didn't see them.

I think watching Wonder Woman -- which people love -- was when the realization dawned on me that I'll probably never like superhero/comic book movies. At least not at this stage in my life. I didn't like the Avengers or Logan either, so that just about writes off three of the most highly regarded comic book features of the last five years.

Oh Honorable Mention (but I still don't think it quite cracks the list) for I Don't Feel At Home in this World Anymore cause I just saw it and it was GREAT!

• Like 4

Oh Honorable Mention (but I still don't think it quite cracks the list) for I Don't Feel At Home in this World Anymore cause I just saw it and it was GREAT!

giphy.gif

• Like 4

21w33h.jpg

Did just realize that my two true honorable mentions for the year are Kong and Better Watch Out, which if you haven't seen is a great twist on the precocious kid getting the best of unwanted guests in his house, backed by an amazing trailer campaign that revealed NOTHING of the true premise of the film.

I saw BWO at a fest last year (when it was titled Safe Neighborhood), and I was really mad when the trailers came out because I thought it gave everything away

even down to the paint can scene

Elijah's rat-tail alone is enough reason to love that movie. I saw it the day it came out because Macon Blair (the director) is an Austin local, and his collaborations with Jeremy Saulnier (Green Room, Blue Ruin, Murderparty) are pretty much universally adored by the film crowd here. Melanie Lynskey is so good in that movie, and Elijah Wood is a lot funnier than I've ever seen him.

It's hard for me to rank things because I find it an almost impossible task to compare a movie like It Comes at Night with one like The Big Sick. So, here's a non-ordered list of my 20 favorite movies from the year:

Lady Bird

Five Fingers for Marseilles (a really rad South African western that still hasn't gotten major distribution)

The Big Sick

Get Out

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Coco

The Disaster Artist

Thoroughbreds

Ingrid Goes West

The Fate of the Furious

It Comes at Night

The Shape of Water

I, Tonya

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Brigsby Bear

Tour de Pharmacy

A Ghost Story

The Square

Blade Runner 2049

Honorable Mention: Good Time - a movie I didn't totally love, but that has a career best performance from Robert Pattinson, who this year has shown himself to be FAR more talented than anyone has ever given him credit for.

ETA: My least favorites of the year:

The Mummy

Bright

The Book of Henry

The Circle

Beatriz at Dinner

Life

Ghost in the Shell

• Like 6

Lady Bird

Five Fingers for Marseilles (a really rad South African western that still hasn't gotten major distribution)

The Big Sick

Get Out

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Coco

The Disaster Artist

Thoroughbreds

Ingrid Goes West

The Fate of the Furious

It Comes at Night

The Shape of Water

I, Tonya

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Brigsby Bear

Tour de Pharmacy

A Ghost Story

The Square

Blade Runner 2049

Honorable Mention: Good Time - a movie I didn't totally love, but that has a career best performance from Robert Pattinson, who this year has shown himself to be FAR more talented than anyone has ever given him credit for.

I'm glad someone mentioned It Comes At Night. That's definitely one of my favorites I saw this year too.

I was anxious and on the edge of my seat the whole movie. The trailers for it were misleading, and I wasn't sure I was going to see in theaters. But my sister and I ended up seeing randomly and we're so glad we did.

I don't know that I can rank them either, but my favorites for 2017 are:

Blade Runner 2049

It Comes at Night

Get Out

The Big Sick

LadyBird

The Disaster Artist (I'd say these 6 were probably my top favorites and the ones below rank somewhere lower)

Star Wars The Last Jedi

Coco

Logan

Good Time-- I agree with Fister, Pattinson was great

Beach Rats- I thought the main actor Harris Dickinson was really great.

There's still a few from this year I want to check out and hopefully will be able to soon.. like I wanted to see The Shape of Water, I Tonya, Brigsby Bear and Thoroughbreds

And I watched a lot of not so great movies this year but most weren't from this year. Idk I'd say the one from 2017 that I really did not like was, Mother! That one also had a very deceiving trailer. But the other 2 I wasn't totally sure about from the trailers--like Get Out and It Comes At Night-- I ended up loving. But Mother! did not sit well with me at all.

• Like 7

It Comes at Night is definitely one od the more divisive of my faves from this year. A LOT of my friends hated it, and I think it was largely because of the way the trailer sold the film. But, having seen Krisha, I had quite different expectations.

(Full disclosure: I have a couple of friends that worked on both of those movies, so I might be impartial. But then again, they also worked on a movie I straight up hated last year. I just don't talk to them about that one...)

• Like 1

I still have a few movies I haven't seen but don't know when I'll get to them. So, just know I haven't had the opportunity to see Call Me By Your Name, I Tonya, Brawl In Cell Block 99, The Post, My Happy Family, City Of Ghosts, etc. Not that I'm expecting them all to be in my top 20-30, but they all look damn good.

This is such a ridiculously good year for movies. Right now, I've seen 129 from this year and there are more I want to see. Not just feel compelled to because good reviews or expected Oscar nominations or whatever. And it's such a big step forward for women and people of color in movies this year (with so much more work in the future, of course). Movies directed by women and people of color didn't just do well with critics but people paid a lot of money to see Wonder Woman and Get Out and Beauty And The Beast and it feels good to see that happen for once.

I'm listing this is no particular order because I get really anxious about ranking things.

Get Out

The Fate Of The Furious

The Work

Baby Driver

Dunkirk

The Big Sick

Good Time

The Disaster Artist

Lady Bird

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (above here is probably my actual top 10 though)

Blade Runner 2049

Detroit

Lego Batman

Logan

Brigsby Bear

Columbus

Wind River

The Florida Project

Beach Rats

Let It Fall: Los Angeles 1982-1992

Lovesong

• Like 3

I saw that It Comes at Night was on Amazon, but was hesitant to watch it due to the 2.5 rating.

• Like 3

Beach Rats- I thought the main actor Harris Dickinson was really great.

I'm just glad someone else saw this movie. I feel like the only one. It was so good.

• Like 1

I saw that It Comes at Night was on Amazon, but was hesitant to watch it due to the 2.5 rating.

I thought It Comes At Night is really good but not really enough to make my top 20 for the year. I can see why it is divisive though. It was not what I was expecting. The trailer made it seem like much more of a horror film than it is.

• Like 4

Still a lot of stuff I want to see (like Phantom Thread, Call Me By Your Name, I Tonya, etc.), but for now:

1. Lady Bird

2. Star Wars: The Last Jedi

3. The Shape of Water

4. Get Out

5. The Florida Project

6. Dunkirk

7. Lucky

8. Coco

9. Blade Runner 2049

10. Ingrid Goes West

11. The Big Sick

12. The Disaster Artist

13. Thor: Ragnarok

14. Logan Lucky

15. Wonder Woman

16. It

17. Baby Driver

18. The Lego Batman Movie

19. Spider-Man Homecoming

20. John Wick: Chapter 2

And of course the order could easily change. If Twin Peaks: The Return counts as a movie then it's in the Top 10 somewhere.

I have mostly avoided seeing crappy movies in theaters (time is precious when you have a 2-year-old), but I guess xXx: The Return of Xander Cage is bottom of the barrel for my 2017. Thanks for making me watch this, Paul.

• Like 4

I thought It Comes At Night is really good but not really enough to make my top 20 for the year. I can see why it is divisive though. It was not what I was expecting. The trailer made it seem like much more of a horror film than it is.

Yes, the trailers made it seem like it was a horror movie. But it was more of a suspense/thriller sort of movie. I read nothing about it before seeing and only knew what I saw from trailers which were super misleading.

From the beginning I felt it set this mysterious and tense mood and it just kept building throughout. I liked that it also wasn't super predictable so that kept me on the edge of my seat. My sister and I loved it, but I could see why some people wouldn't like it if they were expecting a zombie horror.

• Like 2

Also, I just sat through Bright. That is definitely in my bottom 10 now. Oof, what a turkey.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this