25 replies to this topic

#21 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:17 PM

View Postkateacola, on 31 December 2017 - 12:11 PM, said:

Beach Rats- I thought the main actor Harris Dickinson was really great.

I'm just glad someone else saw this movie. I feel like the only one. It was so good.

#22 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 31 December 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

I saw that It Comes at Night was on Amazon, but was hesitant to watch it due to the 2.5 rating.

I thought It Comes At Night is really good but not really enough to make my top 20 for the year. I can see why it is divisive though. It was not what I was expecting. The trailer made it seem like much more of a horror film than it is.

#23 sycasey 2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

Still a lot of stuff I want to see (like Phantom Thread, Call Me By Your Name, I Tonya, etc.), but for now:

1. Lady Bird
2. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
3. The Shape of Water
4. Get Out
5. The Florida Project
6. Dunkirk
7. Lucky
8. Coco
9. Blade Runner 2049
10. Ingrid Goes West
11. The Big Sick
12. The Disaster Artist
13. Thor: Ragnarok
14. Logan Lucky
15. Wonder Woman
16. It
17. Baby Driver
18. The Lego Batman Movie
19. Spider-Man Homecoming
20. John Wick: Chapter 2

And of course the order could easily change. If Twin Peaks: The Return counts as a movie then it's in the Top 10 somewhere.

I have mostly avoided seeing crappy movies in theaters (time is precious when you have a 2-year-old), but I guess xXx: The Return of Xander Cage is bottom of the barrel for my 2017. Thanks for making me watch this, Paul.

#24 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:37 PM

View Postgrudlian., on 31 December 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

I thought It Comes At Night is really good but not really enough to make my top 20 for the year. I can see why it is divisive though. It was not what I was expecting. The trailer made it seem like much more of a horror film than it is.

Yes, the trailers made it seem like it was a horror movie. But it was more of a suspense/thriller sort of movie. I read nothing about it before seeing and only knew what I saw from trailers which were super misleading.
From the beginning I felt it set this mysterious and tense mood and it just kept building throughout. I liked that it also wasn't super predictable so that kept me on the edge of my seat. My sister and I loved it, but I could see why some people wouldn't like it if they were expecting a zombie horror.

#25 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

Also, I just sat through Bright. That is definitely in my bottom 10 now. Oof, what a turkey.

#26 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:36 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 31 December 2017 - 08:45 AM, said:

I saw BWO at a fest last year (when it was titled Safe Neighborhood), and I was really mad when the trailers came out because I thought it gave everything away
Spoiler

Elijah's rat-tail alone is enough reason to love that movie. I saw it the day it came out because Macon Blair (the director) is an Austin local, and his collaborations with Jeremy Saulnier (Green Room, Blue Ruin, Murderparty) are pretty much universally adored by the film crowd here. Melanie Lynskey is so good in that movie, and Elijah Wood is a lot funnier than I've ever seen him.

It's hard for me to rank things because I find it an almost impossible task to compare a movie like It Comes at Night with one like The Big Sick. So, here's a non-ordered list of my 20 favorite movies from the year:

Lady Bird
Five Fingers for Marseilles (a really rad South African western that still hasn't gotten major distribution)
The Big Sick
Get Out
I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Coco
The Disaster Artist
Thoroughbreds
Ingrid Goes West
The Fate of the Furious
It Comes at Night
The Shape of Water
I, Tonya
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Brigsby Bear
Tour de Pharmacy
A Ghost Story
The Square
Blade Runner 2049

Honorable Mention: Good Time - a movie I didn't totally love, but that has a career best performance from Robert Pattinson, who this year has shown himself to be FAR more talented than anyone has ever given him credit for.

ETA: My least favorites of the year:

The Mummy
Bright
The Book of Henry
The Circle
Beatriz at Dinner
Life
Ghost in the Shell

See for me BWO was made to look like,
Spoiler
Tour De Pharmacy almost made my top list because it was hilarious and I'm glad John Cena is doing more dirty comedies as he really excels at it. I've been wanting to see I, Tonya but it doesn't come out near me until this Friday and I'm in the process of watching Brigsby and Ingrid. I thought It Comes at Night was good, but I felt the marketing really hurt it since it's more of a drama set in a horrific world than the horror movie that it was portrayed as, definitely worth a watch but I feel people need to let go of their ideas of what they think it is.
2018 DLM Challenge: 19 movies (19 new)
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"Everyone in this movie is a fucking idiot!" - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer