Episode 178.5 - Minisode 178.5

100 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 5,783 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:45 AM

Different types of Kryptonite, a man in spandex, and more on this week’s minisode! Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for Superman IV: The Quest For Peace, gives a great rec in Paul’s Pick of the Week, and the Movie Bitches review A Christmas Prince. Plus, you’ll find out which movie we will be covering next!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli...wdidthisgetmade
Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:
You can see Jason, June, and Paul in The Disaster Artist in theaters now.
Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. Paul can be seen on Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, Opening Night, and Veep. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in The Good Place, The House, The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.
listen to carmen christopher on the latest ep of my podcast trends with benefits twb.cool

#2 SlidePocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:11 AM

Second Sight is officially the first movie of 2018!

#3 Wil Dride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:41 AM

To me, what I most remember Second Sight for is the fact that, leaving the parking lot after watching it, my friend drove the car straight into the concrete base of a light. Somehow with it being dark and rainy and the base being painted dark brown, he totally didn't see it. Nothing to do with the movie, of course, which was mostly dumb.

#4 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:47 AM

Man, Paul burned me on this one!

I think I remember Second Sight, but I might be mixing it up in my head with "Vibes", which used to run constantly on HBO. That one starred Cyndi Lauper, Peter Falk, and Jeff Goldblum, and also featured a prominent psychic element.

#5 muttnik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:57 PM

Oh man, Second Sight was rough for me. I'm glad I didn't see this when I was a kid, since I had such a crush on John Larroquette. He was so flat! Little me would have been heartbroken.
I hope you guys had a great holiday season, and I hope the next year is full of nothing but happiness and prosperity for you and yours!

#6 Edded by dawn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:08 PM

2nd sight answering machine. "Hello you've reached the second sight psychic detective agency we know who you are and what you want so at the sound of the beep hang up

#7 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:56 PM

Okay, I’ve got an end of the year question for the forum. What movie could you not stop talking/thinking about this year? It doesn’t have to be from 2017. It doesn’t have to be good or bad. It just has to be remarkable.

There are a few that I feel like I discussed a lot, but the one that immediately springs to mind is One From the Heart.

It was...something else.

Here’s my Letterboxd review: https://boxd.it/kcv4H
Chilly: I'm telling you, man, if we had management, we'd be riding around in limousines, wearing leather pants, and buying condos. Can I eat this roast beef?
Body Rock (1984)

Seb: Maybe you just liked me when I was on my ass 'cause it made you feel better about yourself.
La La Land (2016)

#8 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:02 PM

View PostCameron H., on 30 December 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

Okay, I’ve got an end of the year question for the forum. What movie could you not stop talking/thinking about this year? It doesn’t have to be from 2017. It doesn’t have to be good or bad. It just has to be remarkable.

There are a few that I feel like I discussed a lot, but the one that immediately springs to mind is One From the Heart.

It was...something else.

Here’s my Letterboxd review: https://boxd.it/kcv4H

Hatechu for making me thinking about this movie again :lol:

#9 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:16 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 30 December 2017 - 04:02 PM, said:

Hatechu for making me thinking about this movie again :lol:/>

Don’t be “spit on the griddle.” You mean you love me for reminding you of Martini glass dancing Circus Girl.

Posted Image

Chilly: I'm telling you, man, if we had management, we'd be riding around in limousines, wearing leather pants, and buying condos. Can I eat this roast beef?
Body Rock (1984)

Seb: Maybe you just liked me when I was on my ass 'cause it made you feel better about yourself.
La La Land (2016)

#10 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:17 PM

View PostCameron H., on 30 December 2017 - 04:16 PM, said:

Don’t be “spit on the griddle.” You mean you love me for reminding you of Martini glass dancing Circus Girl.

Who in the story may or may not be underage....
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#11 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:33 PM

This is a hard question. Some late year contenders in my mind for this. There are certainly lots of movies I talked about a lot or wanted to talk about a lot but I'll choose the movie that has stuck with me the most.

Memories of Matsuko for whatever reason really hit a cord it me. Living alone in Japan, there are more than a few themes in the film I can relate to but also to some of the bigger themes as well. I don't know if I can recommend it or not as I'm not sure how well it will play for those that don't live here, but I think this movie hit me emotionally deeper than anything else this year.

My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#12 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:12 PM

Get Out and Jim & Andy definitely.

(Although I always want to talk about The Invitation when I've found out someone hasn't seen it)
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#13 SeaSkunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationThe Bunker

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:23 PM

Get Out was the movie for me this year. So amazing and so many things you notice looking back and rewatching.

#14 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:51 PM

View PostSeaSkunk, on 30 December 2017 - 07:23 PM, said:

Get Out was the movie for me this year. So amazing and so many things you notice looking back and rewatching.

Completely agree.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#15 PollyDarton

Lusty Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationHocksville, TN

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:29 PM

Get Out was amazing.

I sure did talk to a lot of people about the Room/The Disaster Artist... I felt like an ambassador of Pop Culture. "Sometimes movies are so bad that they're good!"

I guess the one I watched and thought about a lot was "Whitney: Can I be me"... the documentary about Whitney Houston's life and final tour. I am such a sucker for rockumentaries and that one is really well done. I have talked to exactly 0 people who have seen it.

I also was very moved by Natalie Portman's performance in Jackie. Which I know was from 2016, but I saw it sometime this year... brutal storytelling.
Posted Image

#16 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:37 PM

Mayhaps these are standard answers for 2017, but for me it was definitely Logan for a long time... until Blade Runner 2049 came out, which I still can't get out of my brain. I haven't been moved by a movie so much in theaters... I don't know, maybe ever. It's one of those all-time movies for me at this point.
"Warning: Detected synaptic seepage. Neural failure within 24 hours... Welcome to Newark."
- Johnny Mnemonic (1995)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#17 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:34 AM

I haven't seen Get Out as horror movies are not something I can watch with my wife, and I'd rather not watch it in brief increments (which is how I watch movies for this podcast). As for movies that stuck with me the most, I would probably have to say the Babadook, recognizing that it's a few years old now. I did watch that in increments unfortunately but it definitely stuck with me.

Spoiler

I found myself surprised picking this since Big Sick and Ladybird (also liked this a lot) were pretty good/great films and I saw them both in the theater. I almost picked Coco.

#18 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:38 AM

View Postjoel_rosenbaum, on 31 December 2017 - 04:34 AM, said:

I haven't seen Get Out as horror movies are not something I can watch with my wife, and I'd rather not watch it in brief increments (which is how I watch movies for this podcast). As for movies that stuck with me the most, I would probably have to say the Babadook, recognizing that it's a few years old now. I did watch that in increments unfortunately but it definitely stuck with me.

Spoiler

I found myself surprised picking this since Big Sick and Ladybird (also liked this a lot) were pretty good/great films and I saw them both in the theater. I almost picked Coco.

I think you'll really love Get Out then because it's not a typical horror movie but just as you said what Babadook uses for their fear Get Out uses racism and it's really stunning. Jordan Peele fuckin' knocked it out of the park!

#19 PollyDarton

Lusty Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationHocksville, TN

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 31 December 2017 - 06:38 AM, said:

I think you'll really love Get Out then because it's not a typical horror movie but just as you said what Babadook uses for their fear Get Out uses racism and it's really stunning. Jordan Peele fuckin' knocked it out of the park!

Agreed. The situation in Get Out is definitely horror, but it's more like an episode of the Twilight Zone since there is almost no gore. It is a fucked up spin on the Stepford Wives.

In this vein I also want to recommend It Follows on Netflix if you've never seen it. There's not really any gore and it's so well done. The movie is set in some sort of alternative timeline where it's the 80's but people have modern technology and the premise is spooky as hell.

#20 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

Yeah, It Follows, Babadook, The VVitch, and Get Out are some really landmark works in horror that, as a devotee of the genre, I feel privileged to be around when they have been released in theaters. I've rewatched It Follows and The VVitch several times and they HOLD UP. If I had to pick a favorite out of that grouping, it would probably be The VVitch. The time period, the detail, the tone... it really hit me. It Follows would be a close second... since it sparks some real Catholic Guilt horrors that I still harbor in my subconscious (ok, my conscious as well) when it comes to sex.
"Warning: Detected synaptic seepage. Neural failure within 24 hours... Welcome to Newark."
- Johnny Mnemonic (1995)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel