🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 178.5 - Minisode 178.5

Different types of Kryptonite, a man in spandex, and more on this week’s minisode! Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for Superman IV: The Quest For Peace, gives a great rec in Paul’s Pick of the Week, and the Movie Bitches review A Christmas Prince. Plus, you’ll find out which movie we will be covering next!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepublic.com/user/howdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

You can see Jason, June, and Paul in The Disaster Artist in theaters now.

Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. Paul can be seen on Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, Opening Night, and Veep. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in The Good Place, The House, The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

To me, what I most remember Second Sight for is the fact that, leaving the parking lot after watching it, my friend drove the car straight into the concrete base of a light. Somehow with it being dark and rainy and the base being painted dark brown, he totally didn't see it. Nothing to do with the movie, of course, which was mostly dumb.

Man, Paul burned me on this one!

I think I remember Second Sight, but I might be mixing it up in my head with "Vibes", which used to run constantly on HBO. That one starred Cyndi Lauper, Peter Falk, and Jeff Goldblum, and also featured a prominent psychic element.

• Like 3

Oh man, Second Sight was rough for me. I'm glad I didn't see this when I was a kid, since I had such a crush on John Larroquette. He was so flat! Little me would have been heartbroken.

I hope you guys had a great holiday season, and I hope the next year is full of nothing but happiness and prosperity for you and yours!

• Like 1

2nd sight answering machine. "Hello you've reached the second sight psychic detective agency we know who you are and what you want so at the sound of the beep hang up

Okay, I’ve got an end of the year question for the forum. What movie could you not stop talking/thinking about this year? It doesn’t have to be from 2017. It doesn’t have to be good or bad. It just has to be remarkable.

There are a few that I feel like I discussed a lot, but the one that immediately springs to mind is One From the Heart.

It was...something else.

Here’s my Letterboxd review: https://boxd.it/kcv4H

• Like 4

Okay, I’ve got an end of the year question for the forum. What movie could you not stop talking/thinking about this year? It doesn’t have to be from 2017. It doesn’t have to be good or bad. It just has to be remarkable.

There are a few that I feel like I discussed a lot, but the one that immediately springs to mind is One From the Heart.

It was...something else.

Here’s my Letterboxd review: https://boxd.it/kcv4H

Hatechu for making me thinking about this movie again :lol:

• Like 2

Hatechu for making me thinking about this movie again :lol:/>

Don’t be “spit on the griddle.” You mean you love me for reminding you of Martini glass dancing Circus Girl.

2922.jpg

• Like 3

Don’t be “spit on the griddle.” You mean you love me for reminding you of Martini glass dancing Circus Girl.

Who in the story may or may not be underage....

• Like 3

This is a hard question. Some late year contenders in my mind for this. There are certainly lots of movies I talked about a lot or wanted to talk about a lot but I'll choose the movie that has stuck with me the most.

Memories of Matsuko for whatever reason really hit a cord it me. Living alone in Japan, there are more than a few themes in the film I can relate to but also to some of the bigger themes as well. I don't know if I can recommend it or not as I'm not sure how well it will play for those that don't live here, but I think this movie hit me emotionally deeper than anything else this year.

• Like 3

Get Out and Jim & Andy definitely.

(Although I always want to talk about The Invitation when I've found out someone hasn't seen it)

• Like 5

Get Out was the movie for me this year. So amazing and so many things you notice looking back and rewatching.

• Like 4

Get Out was the movie for me this year. So amazing and so many things you notice looking back and rewatching.

Completely agree.

• Like 1

Get Out was amazing.

I sure did talk to a lot of people about the Room/The Disaster Artist... I felt like an ambassador of Pop Culture. "Sometimes movies are so bad that they're good!"

I guess the one I watched and thought about a lot was "Whitney: Can I be me"... the documentary about Whitney Houston's life and final tour. I am such a sucker for rockumentaries and that one is really well done. I have talked to exactly 0 people who have seen it.

I also was very moved by Natalie Portman's performance in Jackie. Which I know was from 2016, but I saw it sometime this year... brutal storytelling.

source.gif

• Like 7

Mayhaps these are standard answers for 2017, but for me it was definitely Logan for a long time... until Blade Runner 2049 came out, which I still can't get out of my brain. I haven't been moved by a movie so much in theaters... I don't know, maybe ever. It's one of those all-time movies for me at this point.

• Like 4

I haven't seen Get Out as horror movies are not something I can watch with my wife, and I'd rather not watch it in brief increments (which is how I watch movies for this podcast). As for movies that stuck with me the most, I would probably have to say the Babadook, recognizing that it's a few years old now. I did watch that in increments unfortunately but it definitely stuck with me.

Not so often that a horror movie that uses parental fear itself as the plot driver (obviously mixed in with a little paranoia/mental instability). It resonated a lot more strongly than it would have before my son was born. And especially since he's grown into, well, being 4.

I found myself surprised picking this since Big Sick and Ladybird (also liked this a lot) were pretty good/great films and I saw them both in the theater. I almost picked Coco.

• Like 3

I haven't seen Get Out as horror movies are not something I can watch with my wife, and I'd rather not watch it in brief increments (which is how I watch movies for this podcast). As for movies that stuck with me the most, I would probably have to say the Babadook, recognizing that it's a few years old now. I did watch that in increments unfortunately but it definitely stuck with me.

Not so often that a horror movie that uses parental fear itself as the plot driver (obviously mixed in with a little paranoia/mental instability). It resonated a lot more strongly than it would have before my son was born. And especially since he's grown into, well, being 4.

I found myself surprised picking this since Big Sick and Ladybird (also liked this a lot) were pretty good/great films and I saw them both in the theater. I almost picked Coco.

I think you'll really love Get Out then because it's not a typical horror movie but just as you said what Babadook uses for their fear Get Out uses racism and it's really stunning. Jordan Peele fuckin' knocked it out of the park!

• Like 4

I think you'll really love Get Out then because it's not a typical horror movie but just as you said what Babadook uses for their fear Get Out uses racism and it's really stunning. Jordan Peele fuckin' knocked it out of the park!

Agreed. The situation in Get Out is definitely horror, but it's more like an episode of the Twilight Zone since there is almost no gore. It is a fucked up spin on the Stepford Wives.

In this vein I also want to recommend It Follows on Netflix if you've never seen it. There's not really any gore and it's so well done. The movie is set in some sort of alternative timeline where it's the 80's but people have modern technology and the premise is spooky as hell.

• Like 6

Yeah, It Follows, Babadook, The VVitch, and Get Out are some really landmark works in horror that, as a devotee of the genre, I feel privileged to be around when they have been released in theaters. I've rewatched It Follows and The VVitch several times and they HOLD UP. If I had to pick a favorite out of that grouping, it would probably be The VVitch. The time period, the detail, the tone... it really hit me. It Follows would be a close second... since it sparks some real Catholic Guilt horrors that I still harbor in my subconscious (ok, my conscious as well) when it comes to sex.

• Like 5

Yeah, It Follows, Babadook, The VVitch, and Get Out are some really landmark works in horror that, as a devotee of the genre, I feel privileged to be around when they have been released in theaters. I've rewatched It Follows and The VVitch several times and they HOLD UP. If I had to pick a favorite out of that grouping, it would probably be The VVitch. The time period, the detail, the tone... it really hit me. It Follows would be a close second... since it sparks some real Catholic Guilt horrors that I still harbor in my subconscious (ok, my conscious as well) when it comes to sex.

Horror movies: getting me to reveal shit about my brain usually reserved for a therapist's office. THANKS MOVIES!

• Like 4

I was working on a stage production of The Crucible when the VVitch came out. The VVitch is an interesting companion piece to The Crucible especially when the more recent productions have been slightly ambiguous with the witchcraft in the story (which, if you ask me defeats the whole purpose of the play.) Anyhoo... I had a hard time with The VVitch because I have a kid, but it is legit frightening and stunningly detailed.

• Like 5

I guess the one I watched and thought about a lot was "Whitney: Can I be me"... the documentary about Whitney Houston's life and final tour. I am such a sucker for rockumentaries and that one is really well done. I have talked to exactly 0 people who have seen it.

New year's resolution: watch the Whitney movie.

• Like 6

Movies that struck a chord with me this year:

Wonder Woman/Justice League: Purely because Gal Gadot played the part perfectly, and was written for her brilliantly. One of my biggest gripes with female characters in action movies are that they're just written as dudes who are more aesthetically pleasing.

Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman has something much different, something really special. Instead of this "Bad Ass Chick Who Don't Take No Shit Mmmm-Hmmm", there was this much kinder, caring, loving and somewhat maternalistic feel to the character. She's actually portrayed as a woman, and that theme's fucking awesome too.

The Disaster Artist: I got blocked by my friend, Mark. Because I kept sending him Tommy Wiseau pictures, that just shows you just how hyped I was for this movie.

13 Assassins: I'm making as many people watch this movie as I possibly can.

The Resurrection of Jake The Snake: Watch it, watch it and exclaim, "What?! Fuck off! I'm not crying, YOU'RE crying... don't look at me!" Just an incredible documentary that's both heartbreaking, and inspiring, beautiful.

• Like 4