100 replies to this topic

#21 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:21 AM

View PostQuasar Sniffer, on 31 December 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

Yeah, It Follows, Babadook, The VVitch, and Get Out are some really landmark works in horror that, as a devotee of the genre, I feel privileged to be around when they have been released in theaters. I've rewatched It Follows and The VVitch several times and they HOLD UP. If I had to pick a favorite out of that grouping, it would probably be The VVitch. The time period, the detail, the tone... it really hit me. It Follows would be a close second... since it sparks some real Catholic Guilt horrors that I still harbor in my subconscious (ok, my conscious as well) when it comes to sex.

Horror movies: getting me to reveal shit about my brain usually reserved for a therapist's office. THANKS MOVIES!
"Warning: Detected synaptic seepage. Neural failure within 24 hours... Welcome to Newark."
- Johnny Mnemonic (1995)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#22 PollyDarton

Lusty Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationHocksville, TN

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:05 PM

View PostQuasar Sniffer, on 31 December 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

Yeah, It Follows, Babadook, The VVitch, and Get Out are some really landmark works in horror that, as a devotee of the genre, I feel privileged to be around when they have been released in theaters. I've rewatched It Follows and The VVitch several times and they HOLD UP. If I had to pick a favorite out of that grouping, it would probably be The VVitch. The time period, the detail, the tone... it really hit me. It Follows would be a close second... since it sparks some real Catholic Guilt horrors that I still harbor in my subconscious (ok, my conscious as well) when it comes to sex.

I was working on a stage production of The Crucible when the VVitch came out. The VVitch is an interesting companion piece to The Crucible especially when the more recent productions have been slightly ambiguous with the witchcraft in the story (which, if you ask me defeats the whole purpose of the play.) Anyhoo... I had a hard time with The VVitch because I have a kid, but it is legit frightening and stunningly detailed.

#23 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:09 PM

View PostPollyDarton, on 30 December 2017 - 08:29 PM, said:

I guess the one I watched and thought about a lot was "Whitney: Can I be me"... the documentary about Whitney Houston's life and final tour. I am such a sucker for rockumentaries and that one is really well done. I have talked to exactly 0 people who have seen it.

New year's resolution: watch the Whitney movie.

#24 Smigg.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:10 PM

Movies that struck a chord with me this year:

Wonder Woman/Justice League: Purely because Gal Gadot played the part perfectly, and was written for her brilliantly. One of my biggest gripes with female characters in action movies are that they're just written as dudes who are more aesthetically pleasing.

Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman has something much different, something really special. Instead of this "Bad Ass Chick Who Don't Take No Shit Mmmm-Hmmm", there was this much kinder, caring, loving and somewhat maternalistic feel to the character. She's actually portrayed as a woman, and that theme's fucking awesome too.

The Disaster Artist: I got blocked by my friend, Mark. Because I kept sending him Tommy Wiseau pictures, that just shows you just how hyped I was for this movie.

13 Assassins: I'm making as many people watch this movie as I possibly can.

The Resurrection of Jake The Snake: Watch it, watch it and exclaim, "What?! Fuck off! I'm not crying, YOU'RE crying... don't look at me!" Just an incredible documentary that's both heartbreaking, and inspiring, beautiful.

#25 Smigg.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:08 PM

Also, HAPPY NEW YEAR, SHIT DICKS!

#26 sycasey 2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:30 PM

The cover art for Second Sight always fascinated me when I went to video stores as a kid.

Posted Image

So Dan Fielding and Balki Bartokomous are in some kind of action-comedy together? And Balki is Electro or something? What is this? Never pulled the trigger on renting it, though.

So this should be a fun watch for me.

#27 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:11 PM

View Postsycasey 2.0, on 31 December 2017 - 05:30 PM, said:

The cover art for Second Sight always fascinated me when I went to video stores as a kid.

Posted Image

So Dan Fielding and Balki Bartokomous are in some kind of action-comedy together? And Balki is Electro or something? What is this? Never pulled the trigger on renting it, though.

So this should be a fun watch for me.

This is definitely one of those covers that is burnt into my mind from the video store as a kid.
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#28 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:15 PM

Posted Image

Always the one that I remember. That and Fatso.

Oh, and Happy New Year's everyone.

#29 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:34 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 31 December 2017 - 06:11 PM, said:

This is definitely one of those covers that is burnt into my mind from the video store as a kid.

This for sure. I really wanted to watch this as a kid because I liked Perfect Strangers and Night Court so much. I seem to remember my parents not wanting me to watch it and I assumed it was because it was too adult for me. Now I assume it's because my parents didn't want to sit through it.

#30 sycasey 2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:29 PM

View PostCameron H., on 30 December 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

Okay, I’ve got an end of the year question for the forum. What movie could you not stop talking/thinking about this year? It doesn’t have to be from 2017. It doesn’t have to be good or bad. It just has to be remarkable.

I would not have expected this before seeing the movie, but it's Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

Not just because I thought it was a surprisingly interesting/nuanced take on the Star Wars franchise and blockbuster filmmaking in general, but because the fan response has been so polarized about it, so I've been in constant Internet discussions/arguments about its merits. In general I'm not bothered if people didn't like a movie I liked, but the reasoning behind the dislike for this one has fascinated me, and I've been slightly obsessed with getting to the bottom of it. Sure, some of it is just horrible sexism/racism, but beyond that there is a way this movie really messed with people's expectations in such a way as to make them furious. I didn't expect to see THAT from the Disney-owned Star Wars franchise in this day and age.

#31 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:56 AM

I think I may have written about this once before but I will again because I have no shame.

The video store we went to when I was a kid had a separate room by the front that had the kids movies and video games. The entire room was walled with class so parents could send their kids off into it and still be able to keep and eye on them. It was a good idea. What wasn't a good idea was the fact the the biggest section of the glass wall looked out straight at the horror movie shelf. So you are looking at the cover to Land Before Time and you turn around and staring in at you is a shelf of nightmare fuel. As a result I remember The Blob remake cover scaring me and looking for the Cat's Eye cover as the "safe zone"
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#32 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:24 PM

I haven't actually watched "Second Sight". Is it worth-it bad?

#33 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:18 PM

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 02 January 2018 - 03:24 PM, said:

I haven't actually watched "Second Sight". Is it worth-it bad?

I'm halfway through. Nine year old me would have loved it. Current me is not having a great time. Bronson Pinchot's performance is broad even for Bronson Pinchot.

#34 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:29 PM

View Postgrudlian., on 02 January 2018 - 07:18 PM, said:

I'm halfway through. Nine year old me would have loved it. Current me is not having a great time. Bronson Pinchot's performance is broad even for Bronson Pinchot.

Agreed about the broadness, but that means it is definitely not boring. And John Larroquette is trying so hard to play the disaffected straight man to Pinchot's wackiness that his performance becomes over-the-top as well. Guys, as much of a mess as this movie is... I think I kind of like it! Bonus: it's under 90 minutes!
"Warning: Detected synaptic seepage. Neural failure within 24 hours... Welcome to Newark."
- Johnny Mnemonic (1995)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#35 sycasey 2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:44 PM

View PostQuasar Sniffer, on 02 January 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

Bonus: it's under 90 minutes!

And yet, it still feels like there was a lot of padding.

#36 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:12 AM

View PostQuasar Sniffer, on 02 January 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

Agreed about the broadness, but that means it is definitely not boring. And John Larroquette is trying so hard to play the disaffected straight man to Pinchot's wackiness that his performance becomes over-the-top as well. Guys, as much of a mess as this movie is... I think I kind of like it! Bonus: it's under 90 minutes!

I understand that. I might watch this again tonight because I did genuinely enjoy the opening scene. I was really tired though and was forcing myself to power through it before bed. So, I kind of spaced out a bit then tuned in and could not believe what was happening. So, I think it deserves a more attentive watch for the craziness.

#37 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:00 AM

View PostPollyDarton, on 31 December 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

Agreed. The situation in Get Out is definitely horror, but it's more like an episode of the Twilight Zone since there is almost no gore. It is a fucked up spin on the Stepford Wives.

Jordan has said that Stepford Wives is a huge inspiration for him too!

View PostPollyDarton, on 31 December 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

In this vein I also want to recommend It Follows on Netflix if you've never seen it. There's not really any gore and it's so well done. The movie is set in some sort of alternative timeline where it's the 80's but people have modern technology and the premise is spooky as hell.

I think that's just Detroit lol.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#38 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:48 AM

View Postsycasey 2.0, on 31 December 2017 - 08:29 PM, said:

because the fan response has been so polarized about it, so I've been in constant Internet discussions/arguments about its merits.

i'm just out of it .. prepare yourself ..

Spoiler

#39 sycasey 2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:45 AM

View Postfirsttimecallerlongtimelistenr, on 03 January 2018 - 10:48 AM, said:

i'm just out of it .. prepare yourself ..

Spoiler

I disagree with literally everything here.

I liked the dialogue/humor and thought most of it landed with the audience I saw it with. Just the right touch of irreverence.

I thought the acting was generally good (maybe the best Hamill has ever been outside of voice acting). I don't dislike any of the main characters, Finn and Rose included.

The cutesy stuff seems no cuter than what you find in any other Star Wars movie. Same for "spiritual BS," which is pretty much what the entirety of The Empire Strikes Back is about.

By the same token, the "slow chase" is no worse an example of slow-burn plotting than ESB, a movie that literally stops itself for the entire second act so Han and Leia can have romantic entanglements inside a giant worm on a floating asteroid, while Luke talks to a tiny frog man about the Force. The Last Jedi gives a reason for why the First Order can't just destroy the Resistance ship immediately and also for why they don't see the escape pods. I mean, either you get on board with the plot of the movie or you try to re-write the whole thing yourself.

As for Luke:

Spoiler

#40 sycasey 2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

Anyway, here are some pieces I really liked that go over why they found The Last Jedi meaningful.

https://filmcrithulk...g-of-star-wars/

https://bittergertru...am-here-for-it/