🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 28 Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit

Fun HDTGM and Musical Monday connections in this film. First, one of the class room students was played by Alanna Ubach who we might remember from another high school movie released the same year, Airborne. Second, the Latin teacher was played by Brad Sullivan who was one of the two fathers in The Fantasticks.

• Like 6

I'm kind of surprised how much I enjoyed this. Maybe even as much as the original. It's kind of silly of you analyze it even a little bit but it's charming enough to bypass all that.

I noticed that James Coburn sounds an awful lot like Edward Herrmann in places.

• Like 4

oh man I can't wait to break this down with you guys. This movie is weird. It's silly. It makes no sense. (like on the fly the totally rearranged their closing number with choreography, rap breaks, new lighting, etc) but it's a lot of fun

• Like 3

oh man I can't wait to break this down with you guys. This movie is weird. It's silly. It makes no sense. (like on the fly the totally rearranged their closing number with choreography, rap breaks, new lighting, etc) but it's a lot of fun

Was it on the fly? I mean... they were backed by a recorded hip hop version of Ode to Joy.

When they were like “oh no ... this stuffy ass ultra traditional choir is doing our song” I wondered why the hell they were worried... and if they hadn’t planned on a doing an urban/street version in the first place then they were sorely mistaken about their own strength as a choir.

• Like 6

Was it on the fly? I mean... they were backed by a recorded hip hop version of Ode to Joy.

When they were like “oh no ... this stuffy ass ultra traditional choir is doing our song” I wondered why the hell they were worried... and if they hadn’t planned on a doing an urban/street version in the first place then they were sorely mistaken about their own strength as a choir.

It struck me as being on the fly because a) the stuffy school was doing their song and then Whoopi tells them to get out of their tradtional choral robes (which the community raised money to buy for them. Whatta slap to the face to those that supported them to get there ;) )

• Like 8

So, I guess you don't need any sort of teaching degree or certification to teach at a Catholic school, is that right?

• Like 12

It struck me as being on the fly because a) the stuffy school was doing their song and then Whoopi tells them to get out of their tradtional choral robes (which the community raised money to buy for them. Whatta slap to the face to those that supported them to get there ;) )

I think the backflip onto the stage was on the fly, but there were three kids practicing moves when Father Maurice was running through the backstage area. I just think they didn't have any confidence that their 'fun' rendition would be better than the formal one. But I agree about the robes. I always think "what would think performance look like in robes" when I watch the end scene. And laugh that half the guys apparently were carrying their hats with them under their robes.

• Like 7

So, I guess you don't need any sort of teaching degree or certification to teach at a Catholic school, is that right?

You don't need to eat the donut to know it's sweet

• Like 10

I don't know about Catholic school, but I have some friends that worked at a private Evangelical Christian school and they don't have to be. It's...weird.

I think the backflip onto the stage was on the fly, but there were three kids practicing moves when Father Maurice was running through the backstage area. I just think they didn't have any confidence that their 'fun' rendition would be better than the formal one. But I agree about the robes. I always think "what would think performance look like in robes" when I watch the end scene. And laugh that half the guys apparently were carrying their hats with them under their robes.

hmmm I need to rewatch the last section then, because I don't remember it. I could totally be wrong here, it just has always felt to me like it was done on the fly to show how "hip" the kids are coupled with "take your robes off" line

• Like 3

My main question is Mr. Crisp's motivation. He figures out that Sister Mary Clarence is a fake, but doesn't want to call to remove the kids from the competition. So I assume he wants to go down to remove HER quietly, but let the kids perform. But once they're down there, he wants to take them out of the competition. What? You could have saved yourself a trip Mr. Crisp! Did he change his mind on the ride down? You risked your life letting Father Thomas drive you down there. (BTW Father Thomas is my favorite of the priests)

• Like 5

Maybe this is an American thing that I was lost on but at the end when talking about changes to the school Mr. Noodle says that they might even let him teach "the new math." Are there forbidden maths in America?

• Like 6

My main question is Mr. Crisp's motivation. He figures out that Sister Mary Clarence is a fake, but doesn't want to call to remove the kids from the competition. So I assume he wants to go down to remove HER quietly, but let the kids perform. But once they're down there, he wants to take them out of the competition. What? You could have saved yourself a trip Mr. Crisp! Did he change his mind on the ride down? You risked your life letting Father Thomas drive you down there. (BTW Father Thomas is my favorite of the priests)

Not only that but it seems his early retirement is entirely hinged on the school closing. At the end the school is saved so they think he wants to continue working and save more schools when he's been actively asking for early retirement and to close the school down? I think the advisory board just hates him.

• Like 5

Maybe this is an American thing that I was lost on but at the end when talking about changes to the school Mr. Noodle says that they might even let him teach "the new math." Are there forbidden maths in America?

Mr. Noodle :lol:

/dead

• Like 9

New math, and I'm not 100% on this, was a new method for teaching math. I don't know what was different about it just a supposedly radical departure from how math was taught up to that point. This was also back in the 1950s or 60s because it's something I've heard my parents talk about. So, I've never been sure if "new math" is what has been taught since then or what. Based on what my friends with kids and social media say, math is taught differently than when I was a kid. So, I'm not sure. I've heard "new math" or "they must be using new math" to describe confusing numbers but even that's pretty outdated.

I think that's the joke in the movie though. The school is so outdated that they are finality able to do 30 year old teaching methods.

• Like 5

That's just the magic of musicals ... anybody or any group can burst into the perfect musical arrangement necessary to humiliate any opponent, "Top That" style. It's like the musical hadouken.

"Hadousical."

I don't know about Catholic school, but I have some friends that worked at a private Evangelical Christian school and they don't have to be. It's...weird.

Private schools can set whatever qualifications they want for their teachers. Most private schools want to set pretty high bars for their teachers because they're all about prestige and reputation, but some private schools exist just to control the curriculum and tailor it for a specific crowd. Religious schools are like that a lot.

• Like 5

New math, and I'm not 100% on this, was a new method for teaching math. I don't know what was different about it just a supposedly radical departure from how math was taught up to that point. This was also back in the 1950s or 60s because it's something I've heard my parents talk about. So, I've never been sure if "new math" is what has been taught since then or what. Based on what my friends with kids and social media say, math is taught differently than when I was a kid. So, I'm not sure. I've heard "new math" or "they must be using new math" to describe confusing numbers but even that's pretty outdated.

I think that's the joke in the movie though. The school is so outdated that they are finality able to do 30 year old teaching methods.

Yeah, New Math was a thing in the 60s that tried to emphasize a lot of mathematical concepts that weren't included in the core curriculum of public schools. It fell out of fashion pretty quickly, so now the phrase "New Math" is generally used as a description of any sort of educational fad that doesn't last very long (or isn't expected to last very long).

• Like 5

Fun fact - Did you guys know that the actor that played Ahmal (the boy that got most of the solos) is apparently a well known song writer and was in City High that had this earworm hit:

• Like 4

Fun fact - Did you guys know that the actor that played Ahmal (the boy that got most of the solos) is apparently a well known song writer and was in City High that had this earworm hit:

I did know that! But only because I looked at the buzzfeed "where are they now" for the kids from SA2.

• Like 5

I did know that! But only because I looked at the buzzfeed "where are they now" for the kids from SA2.

Ah I knew I recognized Maria from somewhere but couldn't place her. I must have missed the Legally Blonde credit when I was reading through her IMDB page.

• Like 1

Ah I knew I recognized Maria from somewhere but couldn't place her. I must have missed the Legally Blonde credit when I was reading through her IMDB page.

There was an episode of I WAS THERE TOO with Alanna Ubach a couple of months ago (like maybe 6 months?) I never finished it but I remember it being interesting as far as I got into it.

EDIT: looked it up, it came out Aug 30 and it looks like it was regarding Legally Blonde I'm not sure what else they talked about but I'm going to go revisit this ep.

• Like 1

Since it's after Christmas, I hope everyone recognizes Mary Wickes (Sister Mary Lazarus)75b8eef8469030da7de56b5c486e9052.jpg

from a seasonal favorite...

tumblr_mtp9gtjo321rkx03vo3_500.gif

• Like 3

So...is Sister Mary Patrick, like, the FULL TIME Sex Ed teacher? I would have thought she was the Health teacher, but it seems like sex is the only topic she teaches. Is it a semester long course? That seems ridiculous.

Also, at one point, the nerd character says they are going to do something “quickly and expeditiously.” While I get that they want that character to be a bit verbose, you’d think he’d be smart enough to realize he’s being redundant.

• Like 5

And speaking of the nerd..!

What's his deal anyway? Like, why is he taking a "bird" course? Based on his character type, that doesn't seem like something that would interest him. He never even shows a particular aptitude or interest in music. There's not a line about him needing it to cope with stress or how much music means to him. He's just kind of there to fill a stereotype.

What's even weirder is how deep he appears to be in their inner circle. At school they tease him for being a nerd and a brown-noser, yet they're still hanging out with him after school. I just don't get that.

• Like 5

So...is Sister Mary Patrick, like, the FULL TIME Sex Ed teacher? I would have thought she was the Health teacher, but it seems like sex is the only topic she teaches. Is it a semester long course? That seems ridiculous.

Aw man... a full semester of sex ed from a nun in catholic school. How many classes can they play the Every Sperm is Sacred video?

What's even weirder is how deep he appears to be in their inner circle. At school they tease him for being a nerd and a brown-noser, but yet, they're still hanging out with him after school. I just don't get that.

It's the Screech effect.

screech_2.jpg

• Like 5