Episode 179 - Second Sight: LIVE!

89 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 5,783 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:21 PM

Jessica St. Clair (Womp It Up!, Playing House) joins Paul and Jason to discuss the 1989 comedy Second Sight starring John Larroquette and Bronson Pinchot. Recorded live in Boston, they talk about the cold open, Pinchot kissing everyone, and Larroquette looking miserable. Plus, Jessica reminds everyone of the Bronson Pinchot episode of Law & Order where he puts cocaine up his butt.

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli...wdidthisgetmade
Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:
You can see Jason, June, and Paul in The Disaster Artist in theaters now.
Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. Paul can be seen on Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, Opening Night, and Veep. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in The Good Place, The House, The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.
listen to carmen christopher on the latest ep of my podcast trends with benefits twb.cool

#2 Edded by dawn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:58 AM

answering machine message] Hello, you've reached the Second Sight *psychic* detective agency. We know who you are and what you want, so, at the sound of the beep, hang up.

#3 muttnik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:10 AM

Crackpot theory:
Are Bobby and Toomy from The Langoliers the same character? Both are super nuts and inappropriate, both are on airplanes, and while one is in Boston the other needs to get there. Were they two nearly identical souls about to somehow exist in the same time and place and are merging which is making them crazy/physic-magic? And is that why time stopped in Langoliers so that one of them could be erased? And if this is all true, would this be an offense worthy of JCVD's time?

We do need more PIs investigating supernatural crime. I watched Cast a Deadly Spell last night, which I enjoyed. I kind of want to watch the sequel now, but I heard it's real lousy.

#4 What's Its Mission?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:51 AM

What really confused me, is how the film portrays the Catholic Church (in a very religious town) as totally being cool with hiring psychics. I'm not at all religious, but even I knew that believing in anything other than God, is a big No No.

A quick google search lead me to this POV:
"To try to discover the future through palm reading, tarot cards, or some other form of fortunetelling, or to try to control the future through black magic, witchcraft, or sorcery violates the first commandment."

I don't care what you believe in, but anything that violates the 1st thing you are expected to follow or preach... is some shit you shouldn't be messing with. Ha!

Posted Image

source: http://catholicstrai...rs-and-witches/

#5 What's Its Mission?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:56 AM

Jessica did an amazing job (once again), but I wished June watched this movie just to get her take on Bronson's wig.

Posted Image

#6 grudlian.

Debbie Downer Award Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:58 AM

Thank you, Paul for shutting down Jacob's Ladder scenarios.

I'm curious how long Paul was attempting to fool anime fans he liked anime despite saying "Mizayaki".

#7 Wil Dride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:56 AM

Quick correction: Patricia Resnick was the writer of the film, and she retained the services of the psychic that served as technical advisor. She's not the psychic herself as Paul had stated.

#8 What's Its Mission?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:27 AM

I was really hoping Paul and Jason would have noticed that the chief who slept with Larroquette's wife, was none other then Lubic from Masters of the Universe.

Posted Image

#9 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:03 AM

View Postgrudlian., on 05 January 2018 - 04:58 AM, said:

I'm curious how long Paul was attempting to fool anime fans he liked anime despite saying "Mizayaki".

It probably wasn't very long cause most anime fans know that Miyazaki films aren't classified as anime :P

There's video of the man himself going off on how people lump their animation style into anime and he is nooot happy about it lol.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#10 ChunkStyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:08 AM

I 100% agree with Jason that they were going for Ghostbusters with this. This is how I had it mapped:

Venkman = Wills
Egon = Preston
Ray + Ghosts = Bobby
Winston = Uncast (but don't worry Bobby will be doing some racist channeling)

What the hell was going on with that scene? Bobby was just assuming his personality? Or was the kidnapper experiencing the situation? Was he back in the hideout pretending to drive a car while that was happening? Anyway I thought the Larroquette stunt double was more well done than anything else in this movie.

I'll add my name to the many that were put to sleep by this thing.

#11 SeaSkunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationThe Bunker

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:14 AM

The random doorman who knew so much about kidnapping was my favorite part of the movie.

I agree with everyone who thought this was written like a TV show. It felt like several distinct episodes smushed together until nothing made sense.

#12 grudlian.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:35 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 05 January 2018 - 07:03 AM, said:

It probably wasn't very long cause most anime fans know that Miyazaki films aren't classified as anime :P/>

There's video of the man himself going off on how people lump their animation style into anime and he is nooot happy about it lol.

I know I read something once where Miyazaki essentially said the problem with anime is anime fans. I haven't seen him argue his work isn't anime. As someone who is largely not into anime, I'm curious what his argument was because I'm #not sure what the differentiation is.

#13 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:39 AM

View Postgrudlian., on 05 January 2018 - 07:35 AM, said:

I know I read something once where Miyazaki essentially said the problem with anime is anime fans. I haven't seen him argue his work isn't anime. As someone who is largely not into anime, I'm curious what his argument was because I'm #not sure what the differentiation is.

In the Western definition they are certainly anime because we typically classify it as anything animated in Japan but I remember seeing him talk about how certain anime artists have a certain artistic style that he just couldn't stand and so he hated hearing people say that his films were anime because they didn't follow that same style. Whether that's just him being huffy about art that he doesn't like or not idk, but of course I can't even find the video now because all that comes up is what you were talking about and how he dislikes "otaku" culture.

EDIT: Oh I found a quote from the video!

"If you don't spend time watching real people, you can't do this, because you've never seen it. Some people spend their lives interested only in themselves. Almost all Japanese animation is produced with hardly any basis taken from observing real people ... It's produced by humans who can't stand looking at other humans. And that's why the industry is full of otaku!"

This specifically doesn't say that he doesn't refer to his films as anime but I swear it was in this same video that he was like "No we're not anime because..." and then went into this. I'm realizing that the interview is all in Japanese and I'm thinking my Japanese friend translated it for me and that's why I can't find a direct translation of what I heard.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#14 grudlian.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:01 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 05 January 2018 - 07:39 AM, said:

In the Western definition they are certainly anime because we typically classify it as anything animated in Japan but I remember seeing him talk about how certain anime artists have a certain artistic style that he just couldn't stand and so he hated hearing people say that his films were anime because they didn't follow that same style. Whether that's just him being huffy about art that he doesn't like or not idk, but of course I can't even find the video now because all that comes up is what you were talking about and how he dislikes "otaku" culture.

EDIT: Oh I found a quote from the video!

This specifically doesn't say that he doesn't refer to his films as anime but I swear it was in this same video that he was like "No we're not anime because..." and then went into this.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same video/article. I definitely remember that wrote about otaku never looking at people.

I get wanting to be separate from a lot of anime because it's so much is trash. It feels like he's being a tad snobby (deservedly so) like the people who insist they don't watch cartoons because they watch animated shows. But, I don't know, maybe there is more distinction in Japan than we have in the US on what defines anime.

#15 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:05 AM

View Postgrudlian., on 05 January 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

I get wanting to be separate from a lot of anime because it's so much is trash. It feels like he's being a tad snobby (deservedly so) like the people who insist they don't watch cartoons because they watch animated shows. But, I don't know, maybe there is more distinction in Japan than we have in the US on what defines anime.

I definitely think it's part snobbery but it does seem unfair to lump all animation together just because it comes from Japan. Then again The Last Airbender and Korra both definitely have that style and I have to tell people a lot that it's definitely not anime because it was made here in the states SO WHO KNOWS ANYMORE

BACK TO SECOND SIGHT

I DIDN'T SEE IT

#16 grudlian.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:22 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 05 January 2018 - 08:05 AM, said:

I definitely think it's part snobbery but it does seem unfair to lump all animation together just because it comes from Japan. Then again The Last Airbender and Korra both definitely have that style and I have to tell people a lot that it's definitely not anime because it was made here in the states SO WHO KNOWS ANYMORE

BACK TO SECOND SIGHT

I DIDN'T SEE IT

You didn't miss much. Literally every note I took while watching it twice was covered in the show. Even down to almost putting me to sleep the first time.

#17 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:38 AM

To answer Jessica's question:

Cocaine readily diffuses into the bloodstream, so yes.

Rod Stewart apparently agrees:

The 67-year-old singing superstar has revealed that he and his former Faces bandmate Ronnie Wood used to shove cocaine up their bottoms using a suppository.

#18 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:54 AM

View Postgrudlian., on 05 January 2018 - 04:58 AM, said:

"The moving treehouse one"
Oh, Paul.

#19 BeezulVonDude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

The exposition in this movie drove me nuts. Every character conveniently forgets things they should know for purposes of informing the audience or for a lame joke. Wills, despite having been with Bobby and Preston for some time, still needs to be told what's happening most of the time Bobby starts acting weird. Likewise, when Wills gets back from hitting on the redhead at the diner, Bobby asks him if he was successful and then IMMEDIATELY starts talking for Wills afterward since he can read his mind. Why'd he have to ask the first question. This goes on and on throughout the film and it doesn't help that the characters' histories and relationships are sloppily defined.

#20 BeezulVonDude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

Also, when I looked at the cover/poster for this, I thought Bronson Pinchot was Richard Lewis, so imagine my disappointment at seeing Balki in that cold open. I would 1000% be on board for a movie with Richard Lewis as a neurotic psychic. Someone get on that.