🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
youreacrookcaptainhook

Ask Me Anything (2014)

I watched this movie last night and it is bonkers. Described as an "edgy" coming-of-age movie, it's about a 17-yr-old girl who defers college for a year and starts a blog. ...And proceeds to spend most of the movie in her underwear fucking 3 different partners. Terrible writing, dismal acting, a distracting soundtrack, and virtually no plot to speak of. The blog barely comes into play until the "twist" ending that turns the whole film into a bait-and-switch scheme it can't even pull off.

It's based on the novel "Undiscovered Gyrl" by Allison Burnett, who also wrote and directed this movie. Don't let the name fool you, the author is actually a middle-aged man. Though he has some legitimate screenwriting credits under his belt, this movie reads as a pedophilic voyeur's fantasy of how teenage girls live their lives.

I have to mention the cast, too: Justin Long, Christian Slater, and Martin Sheen are all in this and it's absolutely baffling. Its ratings aren't too bad, either. Am I missing something?? I felt confused and sickened watching this movie, which takes on promiscuity, drug abuse, sexual assault, suicide, and abortion in an insane escalation of "edginess" and then apparently throws it all out in the end.

Streaming now on Netflix and Amazon!

Sign in to follow this