🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 29 Preview (EvRoberts’ 2nd Pick)

Alright Gang, it's time to pick a musical film huh

well I wanted to pick something modern...

I wanted to pick something that had a classic flair...

I wanted to pick something with an interesting cast...

So I present...

From the year 2000

A musical Adaptation of William Shakespeare

From an acclaimed Shakespearean director

p24961_d_v8_aa.jpg

• Like 6

Alright Gang, it's time to pick a musical film huh

well I wanted to pick something modern...

I wanted to pick something that had a classic flair...

I wanted to pick something with an interesting cast...

So I present...

From the year 2000

A musical Adaptation of William Shakespeare

From an acclaimed Shakespearean director

I own this! It’s too bad Cake has been too busy to participate. We’ve talked about this one before.

SPOILER ALERT: I love this movie.

• Like 6

I own this! It’s too bad Cake has been too busy to participate. We’ve talked about this one before.

SPOILER ALERT: I love this movie.

I thought that too. I'm sure when he has time he'll throw in his thoughts.

I guess my question is, Matthew Lillard? Really?

• Like 6

You need to fix the link.

I just looked up the cast... some interesting choices there...

fixed!

• Like 1

Really. It's one of the strangest casts I've ever seen.

• Like 2

Yeah, the whole cast is really bizarre, but Lillard is the icing on the weird cake we're about to eat.

• Like 2

Lillard acquits himself admirably ;)

MucH like how Marvel movies always try to be more than “superhero” movies, I’ve always liked that Branagh has always the same with Shakespeare. In this case, a zany (“It kills sheep”), musical. I feel that by heightening or putting into context Shakespeare’s original intention, it makes his work more accessible to modern audiences.

• Like 2

I'm just as shocked by Alicia Silverstone. If you were skiing me to cast a musical, an adaptation of Shakespeare or a musical adaptation of Shakespeare, they wouldn't be in the conversation. Even in the year 2000.

I'm not familiar with this play though. So, maybe they are the right choice.

• Like 2

I'm surprised that Timothy Spall gets listed up at the top, I mean before Harry Potter, I probably couldn't have told you who Timothy Spall was. I think AFTER Harry Potter people would have a hard time knowing who Timothy Spall is (especially since he's not even on the poster)

• Like 1

I'm just as shocked by Alicia Silverstone. If you were skiing me to cast a musical, an adaptation of Shakespeare or a musical adaptation of Shakespeare, they wouldn't be in the conversation. Even in the year 2000.

I'm not familiar with this play though. So, maybe they are the right choice.

I agree, this isn't one of the plays I'm overly familiar with either so maybe the rules match.

There is always part in the back of my mind that I'm too harsh on actors sometimes. Like they are trying to make a career and at the start it's just easier to do that one thing you are good at and then hopefully sometime someone will let you stretch your wings and let people take notice. Think about actors like Robin Williams and Jim Carey that showed they could be more than just goofy oddball and can handle drama. Alicia Silverstone did a lot of thriller and crime stuff early on, but once she got into Clueless and that hit that's kinda the path she went down. She could surprise us.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that Timothy Spall gets listed up at the top, I mean before Harry Potter, I probably couldn't have told you who Timothy Spall was. I think AFTER Harry Potter people would have a hard time knowing who Timothy Spall is (especially since he's not even on the poster)

I grew up loving and watching Red Dwarf so to me he will be always be the Back to Reality tech to me.

• Like 2

I will say...in my opinion, Alicia Silverstone is the weak link. Everyone else sells it pretty well, but she’s a bit flat - in acting and singing.

My only other (minor) quibble is that Branagh is perhaps a touch too hold. However, he’s still very, very good.

• Like 3

I agree, this isn't one of the plays I'm overly familiar with either so maybe the rules match.

There is always part in the back of my mind that I'm too harsh on actors sometimes. Like they are trying to make a career and at the start it's just easier to do that one thing you are good at and then hopefully sometime someone will let you stretch your wings and let people take notice. Think about actors like Robin Williams and Jim Carey that showed they could be more than just goofy oddball and can handle drama. Alicia Silverstone did a lot of thriller and crime stuff early on, but once she got into Clueless and that hit that's kinda the path she went down. She could surprise us.

I'm that way too. If Matthew Lillard hadn't turned things around for me personally the last few years, I might put him as the weakest choice. He was typecast with Scream and She's All That. Acting is so reliant on audience perception, I understand why people get stuck in a type but I can't always stop myself from falling into it either.

With Jim Carrey and Robin Williams specifically, I've heard it's much easier for comedians to go serious than the other way round.

• Like 3

I grew up loving and watching Red Dwarf so to me he will be always be the Back to Reality tech to me.

Beadle Bamford from Sweeney Todd for me

f35769c2b2afbfb3af77a7b0209bc75e.jpg

• Like 1

Ruh roh!

1c11fbba7e30afa0b70645a42f1f018a.jpg

• Like 1

Serious question. Should we read the play first and then watch or take the movie as is?

Not necessary. It would actually probably be detrimental.

• Like 1

Serious question. Should we read the play first and then watch or take the movie as is?

Unlike his version of Hamlet (which included every single word), Brangaugh cut this play pretty liberally. I don't think it's necessary.

• Like 2

You are in my heart forever for this post.

I remember Red Dwarf being on in a syndicated timeslot right before Saturday Night Live when I was growing up. So I would go from Red Dwarf to Adam Sandler doing Opera Man or something. I was too young to know how they were different, but not caring because they both made me laugh. It wouldn't hurt to be less judgmental about such categorization now....

• Like 3