🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 180 - Howling II: Your Sister Is a Werewolf: LIVE!

Personally, I don't think any of these comments are fair.

Tig did find the time to sit down and watch this with Stephanie and happened to fall asleep. So fucking what. Stephanie sat through the whole thing and commented on it (when she could) but because one of the guests didn't see 40 minutes of it people are coming in and calling her disrespectful? That's bananas! Paul literally didn't watch the movie until the plane ride to DC but Tig and Stephanie both sat down and dedicated time to this bull shit and I don't think any of us are allowed to tell her she's in the wrong just because she happened to fall asleep.

Not to mention for the first time ever I felt like Jason and Paul cut off both Tig and Stephanie every fucking time they tried to speak. At one point Stephanie literally had to say "WAIT!" so that Paul didn't cut her off again! I've never felt like Paul and Jason have ever railroaded a guest before but today was difficult to listen to. As many people have said that Tig didn't bring anything to this episode that's how many times I heard her start to say something only to get cut off by both our hosts.

Like I said, I haven't listened to the episode yet so I'm not commenting on Tig specifically. More of a general, "If you're a guest, you should be prepared. And if you don't like watching bad movies, don't do a bad movie podcast." People are paying money to watch you comment on a movie and you can't even respect them enough to give 90 minutes of your time and do that? I mean, I don't know if guests get paid for appearing on live episodes, but for the most part, these people are professional entertainers. They're not necessarily doing this for fun or for free. Even if money isn't involved, they're usually there to promote something. So in effect, self-promotion is their job. And showing up and being prepared is a part of that. I wouldn't show up to work completely unprepared, would you? ("I'm sorry, I fell asleep so I just didn't do that report.")

Again, not everyone is into watching crappy movies - I'm not criticizing anyone for that. But if you agree to do something, and you're getting compensated for that job (even if it's just "exposure") then you should be prepared to do that job.

Think of it this way: what if you save up all your money to see a play (one that means a lot to you) and the night you go to see it one of the actors just didn't bother to learn their lines? And then they turn to the audience and essentially say, "Yeah, this thing you guys paid money to see: I think it's kind of dumb and I didn't feel like it was worth my time." That's fucked up.

Again, this isn't anything against Tig in particular, I just think if you agree to do something - especially something that people are going to pay to see - you should put some effort into it. And, yeah, maybe Paul watched the movie on a plane, but this is something he's been doing for awhile now. He knows exactly what he needs to do to get the job done. Just because it doesn't take as much effort for him to get prepared doesn't mean he wasn't.

• Like 9

Tig and Stephanie both sat down and dedicated time to this bull shit and I don't think any of us are allowed to tell her she's in the wrong just because she happened to fall asleep.

I just don't think that "blocking off chunks of time" alone is enough when it comes to participating in comedy with a team about a specific subject. Maybe the railroading was to avoid another "Mr. Thomas" story.

I do hate that we're talking about a guest, BTW. It's like the "Can't Stop the Music" episode all over again. This isn't what we're about.

• Like 5

I do hate that we're talking about a guest, BTW. It's like the "Can't Stop the Music" episode all over again. This isn't what we're about.

I agree with this 100% :)

• Like 6

So..how do you guys feel about coconut?

• Like 7

Like I said, I haven't listened to the episode yet so I'm not commenting on Tig specifically. More of a general, "If you're a guest, you should be prepared. And if you don't like watching bad movies, don't do a bad movie podcast." People are paying money to watch you comment on a movie and you can't even respect them enough to give 90 minutes of your time and do that? I mean, I don't know if guests get paid for appearing on live episodes, but for the most part, these people are professional entertainers. They're not necessarily doing this for fun or for free. Even if money isn't involved, they're usually there to promote something. So in effect, self-promotion is their job. And showing up and being prepared is a part of that. I wouldn't show up to work completely unprepared, would you? ("I'm sorry, I fell asleep so I just didn't do that report.")

Again, not everyone is into watching crappy movies - I'm not criticizing anyone for that. But if you agree to do something, and you're getting compensated for that job (even if it's just "exposure") then you should be prepared to do that job.

Think of it this way: what if you save up all your money to see a play (one that means a lot to you) and the night you go to see it one of the actors just didn't bother to learn their lines. And then turns to the audience and essentially says, "Yeah, this thing you guys paid money to see: I think it's kind of dumb and I didn't feel like it was worth my time." That's fucked up.

Again, this isn't anything against Tig in particular, I just think if you agree to do something - especially something that people are going to pay to see - you should put some effort into it. And, yeah, maybe Paul watched the movie on a plane, but this is something he's been doing for awhile now. He knows exactly what he needs to do to get the job done. Just because it doesn't take as much effort for him to get prepared doesn't mean he wasn't.

I'm not saying that Paul wasn't prepared but what I'm commenting on is the fact that saying a guest didn't "make time" for this show is completely unfair when the two guests actually talk about how they sat down together to watch this movie in their home. Most of these comments about this show are wildly unfair towards Tig specifically and if you're basing what you think happened off of them alone then it all has to do with Tig.

She was funny. She came with things to talk about. She did her fucking job. And even if she didn't Stephanie was there to fill in the gaps of things that Tig missed.

So it's hard to not be like "oh this is about Tig" when people before you specifically called her out for falling asleep and then you come in and talk about how disrespectful it is to Paul, Jason, and the audience to not be prepared. I can't understand why these comments were brought up now if this has nothing to do with today's guests. Especially considering some of the shit I read on that first page.

(I feel like I'm having Can't Stop The Music flashbacks good god)

I just don't think that "blocking off chunks of time" alone is enough when it comes to participating in comedy with a team about a specific subject. Maybe the railroading was to avoid another "Mr. Thomas" story.

In all fairness Jason brought up the fact that she called him Mr. Thomas lol.

I agree that blocking off the time to watch the movie isn't 100% all it takes to do a comedy show, but I don't know I think Tig fuckin Notaro can be trusted to know what it takes to do a comedy show lol.

• Like 2

Christopher Lee was a Bond villain, Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, Saruman, werewolf hunter, recorded a heavy metal album, nazi hunter (not just a military man oin WWII,but literally hunted nazis), Star wars villain.

When you condense his life, it reads like a mythic hero confer to life. If you told me he fought a for real cyclops, I'd at least consider it plausible.

Also, in his scariest role, the Templar Lucas de Beaumanoir, in Ivanhoe.

Obscurus Lupa has a bunch of good reviews to the sequels to this movie:

She also reviews all 16 (so far) Witchcraft movies as well as Subspecies.

I have to agree with those who didn't appreciate Tig. She started the show by interrupting the clip Paul was playing to tell a long story about how she fell asleep during the movie. Not funny and not necessary. Its a podcast not her standup. She just got worse from there.

• Like 6

What I'm hearing so far is that we need fewer Chuck Norris memes and more Christopher Lee memes.

I'm here for that.

39754249502_733c759405_z.jpg

• Like 7

(I feel like I'm having Can't Stop The Music flashbacks good god)

precisely. the louis ck fan club didn't sign up because he was offended that a guest hadn't watched a movie. i think his motives were pretty clear.

btw, i think it's ok to criticise a guest for not watching a movie. it is part of the job afterall. if you paid to go see them and you're disappointed by it then it's ok to say so. but when i go to a comedy show the most important thing is that i laugh. did tig make people laugh? if yes, then she did her job. if no then the people there have a legit gripe. as long as someone sees the movie and it can get discussed in a comedic way then i have no real problem. in fact, the anarchic numbskull in my head is pissing himself.... at least this one time

i've been reading christopher lee's wikipedia and for my shame, i didn't know any of the stuff in it. his autobiography must be fascinating. i had hoped to find an audiobook version read by him somewhere but can't but i do see a reading of the exorcist by him.... that's october sorted!!!

• Like 4

btw, i think it's ok to criticise a guest for not watching a movie. it is part of the job afterall. if you paid to go see them and you're disappointed by it then it's ok to say so. but when i go to a comedy show the most important thing is that i laugh. did tig make people laugh? if yes, then she did her job. if no then the people there have a legit gripe. as long as someone sees the movie and it can get discussed in a comedic way then i have no real problem. in fact, the anarchic numbskull in my head is pissing himself.... at least this one time

This is exactly how I feel!

Honestly I understand the argument that people were disappointed that 40 minutes of the movie were missed. When Paul said "someone didn't even watch it" I then was like "then wtf are we even doing here" but Tig still made me laugh and it sounds like she honestly had enough to say about it that Paul shouldn't even had made that disclaimer.

But it's when people come and tear her apart that I have a problem with. That's completely unfair and is reminiscent of before. This is their friend and they certainly wouldn't have invited Tig (nor released this episode probably) if they thought she was disrespectful to the whole concept of the show.

• Like 3

I came to boards today before I listened the episode, and seeing people dog on Tig Notaro's appearance probably colored my listening. And still, I enjoyed the episode. If I hadn't gone into this expecting to be kinda disappointed by her, I probably wouldn't have even noticed ... she was pretty quiet for most of the episode anyway. HDTGM has had dud guests before and even the hosts have dropped the ball from time to time (how many times has June admitted that she didn't remember big parts of the movie). Part of what's funny is hearing these guys try to explain the unexplainable to each other. Plus, I think Jason and Paul both gave her an appropriate amount of shit, so I don't think she was getting away with anything.

I only didn't like when she teased the audience for being into the movie and the discussion ... that's a dick move. It's fine if you hate a movie that you didn't watch, but lay off the people who are having fun. Beyond that, she didn't really spoil my fun. Plus, unless you bought a ticket, it's free. Don't take it personally.

• Like 2

So it seems the forums tend to hate it when lesbians are on the podcast? Or they mention being a lesbian? This makes me uncomfortable.

When listening, I did think it sucked that Tig couldn't comment much. But was I the only one who thought it was a bit? Like how on DLM she never knows the movies? Like maybe she did fall asleep and thought that would be funny but it didn't really work out?

I'm sorry for everyone who was there but to everyone else: it's a free podcast.

• Like 6

It's funny how in a movie full of werewolves, the biggest monster is the person who punctuated the title.

The Howling 2: ... Your Sister's a Werewolf

A colon leading into a ellipsis?! And a fucking contraction in a title?!?

Monsters.

• Like 12

So it seems the forums tend to hate it when lesbians are on the podcast? Or they mention being a lesbian? This makes me uncomfortable.

Just want to say, to this point -- a few people here seem to have created accounts in this forum just to say "Tig sucks."

• Like 6

This is exactly how I feel!

This is how I feel as well. I’m sorry if it didn’t articulate it well.

Having not heard the episode, I really was only referring to a hypothetical guest. I only know *of* Tig, I’m not really familiar with her work - certainly not well enough to offer opinions or be critical of it. I know she’s really popular, but aside from an episode or two of Pistol Shrimps Radio, this would be the first time hearing her work.

You’re right that I was basing what I was saying on what other people had said, but I was just offering my opinion on the matter.

Regardless, it would probably be wise of me to hold my opinions until after I listen to a thing.

Taylor, you and I have been friends since the Temptation episode. I would hate to do or say anything that could screw up that relationship. I’m sorry if I came off like an ignorant asshole.

I would also like to add, my previous statements about preparedness only applies to being an audience member at a live show. As a listener of a free podcast, I could give a shit if the guest has watched the movie. Hell, the guest could fart on the mic for 90 minutes and I would have no right to complain ;)/>

• Like 1

When listening, I did think it sucked that Tig couldn't comment much. But was I the only one who thought it was a bit? Like how on DLM she never knows the movies? Like maybe she did fall asleep and thought that would be funny but it didn't really work out?

I'm sorry for everyone who was there but to everyone else: it's a free podcast.

I want to like this post more than once.

I was kinda skating around the lesbian comment on the first page because I didn't want to start a full on fight with some obvious trolls about it but that also makes me very uncomfortable. It makes me want to mention that I'm bisexual literally as many times as possible now lol.

• Like 3

This is how I feel as well. I’m sorry if it didn’t articulate it well.

Having not heard the episode, I really was only referring to a hypothetical guest. I only know *of* Tig, I’m not really familiar with her work. Certainly not well enough to be offer opinions or be critical of it. I know she’s really popular, but aside from an episode or two of Pistol Shrimps Radio, this would be the first time hearing her work.

You’re right that I was basing what I was saying on what other people had said, but I was just offering my opinion on the matter.

Regardless, it would probably be wise of me to hold my opinions until after I listen to a thing.

Taylor, you and I have been friends since the Temptation episode. I would hate to do or say anything that could screw up that relationship. I’m sorry if I came off like an ignorant asshole.

I would also like to add, my previous statements about preparedness only applies to being an audience member at a live show. As a listener of a free podcast, I could give a shit if the guest has watched the movie. Hell, the guest could fart on the mic for 90 minutes and I would have no right to complain ;)

Cameron, first of all this is certainly not something that ruin this long of a friendship lol. I've had irl friends do some messed up shit and I still hang out with them so you are good.

Second of all, I highly recommend seeing Tig's standup and watching the documentary about her (that I hope is still on Netflix).

• Like 1

Anyone else notice that Christopher Lee is squatting when he prays, rather than kneeling?

24916294527_b0980102bf_c.jpg

• Like 5

I want to like this post more than once.

I was kinda skating around the lesbian comment on the first page because I didn't want to start a full on fight with some obvious trolls about it but that also makes me very uncomfortable. It makes me want to mention that I'm bisexual literally as many times as possible now lol.

It was just that there were new posters her solely to say they hate Tig and how she talks about being a lesbian. I don't think I saw that since the "Don't Stop the Music" episode so it was weird.

But I don't want to come off defending Tig's performance as strongly as I will STILL defend Esposito's, because she had a few laughs at the end and that was it. I am sorry to the people who were hyped and paid. It was like they had one guest (so like the Boston shows?).

The falling asleep isn't really new either. June has fallen asleep, Adam Scott did for Xander Cage, one of guests for Body Parts, I think? Maybe it is a measure of degree. But only the lesbians get new accounts to hate on them?

Watch Tig win all the Howdys now.

I'm going to get off my soapbox now. Let's get back to talking about how cool Christopher Lee is! Did you know he read LoTR every year? As a book nerd, respect

• Like 6

Some people are practically saying "How dare Tig. This is her job" as if y'all never had a day you half-assed it at work.

In theory, yes, I would like the guests to be prepared. Tig tried to be prepared and, I'm assuming, didn't really have much time to try to rewatch the movie. Half the last minisode commentary were multiple people (myself included) saying that this one is kind of hard to even get a hold of for a reasonable price (PS - it's on Vudu for $2.99 to rent). So, let's all get some perspective on this thing that is literally not even a deal let alone a big deal.

Yes, if I were a guest on this podcast, I would have seen the movie. I would have seen it multiple times and had a ton of notes. I would have been super prepared. You know what I wouldn't be? Naturally funny. That's why I'm not on this podcast and Tig Notaro is. She was funnier in this than some guests who were prepared. I listen to HDTGM because it's funny and she was funny. So, I got my money's worth on this one. If you don't think Tig was funny, that's fair.

I'm not trying to make this a call out to anyone or anyone in particular even though this probably reads exactly like that.

• Like 2

Let's get back to talking about how cool Christopher Lee is! Did you know he read LoTR every year? As a book nerd, respect

That’s awesome! He was also the only cast member to have meet J. R. R. Tolkien. I believe Tolkien had given him his blessing to be in any future adaptations.

That man lived a life, huh?

• Like 6

The falling asleep isn't really new either. June has fallen asleep, Adam Scott did for Xander Cage, one of guests for Body Parts, I think? Maybe it is a measure of degree. But only the lesbians get new accounts to hate on them?

I am a huge Tig fan, her standup is fantastic! My pseudo complaint is more that this is the second episode in a row when someone fell asleep watching the movie. Not the end of the world, just frustrating.

Per this movie - I’m curious, has anyone actually read any of these books? Because as they pointed out, this movie feels not very wearwolfy. I wondering how true to the book it is.

• Like 5

I still haven't listened to the episode yet (I opted to go finally have my fucking heart punched in by Call Me By Your Name today instead), but I just want to say I love all of you regulars. And yes, it's absolutely interesting that it's only when a lesbian mentions being a lesbian that dickholes need to join the forums to complain about the person. I'm surprised they haven't said she was "screeching" yet.

Anyway, I agree with everything y'all have said.

Except this...

I would hate to do or say anything that could screw up that relationship.

Sorry, Taylor. I'll shit all over our friendship anytime. It's just who I am. :P

---

Oh, but also, Tig's doc is still on Netflix (I doubt it's going anywhere since it's a Netflix Original), and everyone who hasn't seen it definitely should. And then you should go watch One Mississippi. And pretty much any standup of hers you can find. She's the best! I listened to her latest appearance on CBB with Wild Horses (minus Stephanie) while I was on a plane, and I felt really bad because it was a 6 AM flight, and I was busting out laughing while people were trying to sleep.

• Like 4