🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 180 - Howling II: Your Sister Is a Werewolf: LIVE!

Seriously. It's where I go now for movies I don't think I'll like, but still want to see. Next week: Geostorm.

And in a few more months...

The-Hurricane-Heist-movie-poster.jpg

• Like 3

I just wanted say, I just listened to the Valerian Episode and it was great. Even if you can't afford Stitcher Premium, it's definitively worth getting a free trial so you can listen. It was hilarious - especially if you've seen the movie.

I paid to see this movie in theaters because The Fifth Element is one of my favorite movies... but also because I hate myself, I guess.

• Like 6

I paid to see this movie in theaters because The Fifth Element is one of my favorite movies... but also because I hate myself, I guess.

That movie was absolutely brutal.

• Like 1

Seriously. It's where I go now for movies I don't think I'll like, but still want to see. Next week: Geostorm.

Geostorm is so HDTGM perfection tbh. It's absolutely horrendous but I had all of the fun watching it.

• Like 5

Geostorm is so HDTGM perfection tbh. It's absolutely horrendous but I had all of the fun watching it.

I’ve been dying to see it - just not “six dollars to rent it on Amazon” dying.

• Like 3

I've been wanting to see it because it looks like a really fun trash movie. Now I guess I have to.

• Like 1

I’ve been dying to see it - just not “six dollars to rent it on Amazon” dying.

I hope it becomes your new Monster Trucks.

• Like 7

I hope it becomes your new Monster Trucks.

I both want that and don’t want that to happen.

(Btw - Monster Trucks is on Hulu.)

• Like 6

Remember that old lady who got hit by the car outside the village? What happened to the driver of that car?

• Like 2

My wife and I LOVE terrible horror movies. So for her birthday (yesterday) we decided to watch The Howling 1 through 5! What a crazy experience that was. This movie did stand out among the rest as making less sense. It doesn't fit with the others as there is no mention of Stirba, no werewolf gods or werewolf orgies.

It however isn't as bananas as the third one. Which is more of a human rights/ werewolves are people too kind of a story. It also has werewolf nuns!

• Like 4

It however isn't as bananas as the third one. Which is more of a human rights/ werewolves are people too kind of a story. It also has werewolf nuns!

Howling 3 has Nundercover Werewolves?!?! HDTGM has gotta cover that one!

• Like 6

The main question I still have about the movie is whether or not the punk band are werewolves themselves.

We first seem them playing at that punk warehouse show in LA. Now we know some of the people in attendance, like Mariana, are werewolves because they lead those punks away to eat them. This also means not everybody there was a werewolf either. The only thing we know at this point is the fact the band has a song about werewolves which is either very telling or a supreme coincidence. Next we see them playing in the Transylvanian castle for the giant orgy party that Stirba was having. So this band flew out from LA to Transylvania for this gig. Was this because they were werewolves or were the werewolves in attendance at the first show so taken by this song about "howling" and "werewolves" that they turned to each other and said, "Hey, you know what would really tie this giant Howling werewolf orgy party together, this song!" at which point they hired them and flew them out. They seemingly left the orgy party before things really hit the fan so maybe they were unaware. Then we see the band one last time at the end of the movie seemingly back in LA and nothing is clear one way or the other if they are werewolves or in on it all. All we know for a fact is the have one song that really fits in nicely with everything going around them and they are seemingly LA based.

Does this also mean the band was on the same flight as dum-dum and the reporter? I can't imagine there are that many flights a day in and out of rural Transylvania, so these LA based people traveling at the same time must have run into each other at some point right?

I'm with HotIronSkillet. on this one, that it was just laziness on the part of the director, who clearly saw Tony Scott's "The Hunger" club scene with Bauhaus. The song "Bela Lugosi's Dead" plays a huge part in that movie, and does come back at points- but this was flat out just recycling the same footage of the band from the beginning and playing that song what seemed to be non-stop all the way through the movie.

• Like 2

I can't believe no one mentioned that Ben is played by Reb Brown, also known as Slab Bulkhead, Big McLargeHuge, et al. from MST3K's classic "Space Mutiny" episode. He even does all the unnecessary screaming while firing his gun.

Yeah, let's give it up for Blast HardCheese!

Blast-Hardcheese.jpg?resize=650%2C501

• Like 2

I just wanted say, I just listened to the Valerian Episode and it was great. Even if you can't afford Stitcher Premium, it's definitively worth getting a free trial so you can listen. It was hilarious - especially if you've seen the movie.

Super rad, though no one brought up the fact that Cara and Dane look like siblings, which bummed me out. Imagine if the movie had been about a brother and sister not believing/trusting in each other's skills. I mean, it still would've been a mess, but at least it wouldn't have had the tired love story bit.

My wife and I LOVE terrible horror movies. So for her birthday (yesterday) we decided to watch The Howling 1 through 5! What a crazy experience that was. This movie did stand out among the rest as making less sense. It doesn't fit with the others as there is no mention of Stirba, no werewolf gods or werewolf orgies.

Respect. I rewatched 1, 3, and 4 the other night as I hadn't seen them in ages. Three is the craziest, though four does have the nice melty effect and this almost lifelike mannequin.

2s8l8vo.jpg

• Like 2

The main question I still have about the movie is whether or not the punk band are werewolves themselves.

We first seem them playing at that punk warehouse show in LA. Now we know some of the people in attendance, like Mariana, are werewolves because they lead those punks away to eat them. This also means not everybody there was a werewolf either. The only thing we know at this point is the fact the band has a song about werewolves which is either very telling or a supreme coincidence. Next we see them playing in the Transylvanian castle for the giant orgy party that Stirba was having. So this band flew out from LA to Transylvania for this gig. Was this because they were werewolves or were the werewolves in attendance at the first show so taken by this song about "howling" and "werewolves" that they turned to each other and said, "Hey, you know what would really tie this giant Howling werewolf orgy party together, this song!" at which point they hired them and flew them out. They seemingly left the orgy party before things really hit the fan so maybe they were unaware. Then we see the band one last time at the end of the movie seemingly back in LA and nothing is clear one way or the other if they are werewolves or in on it all. All we know for a fact is the have one song that really fits in nicely with everything going around them and they are seemingly LA based.

Does this also mean the band was on the same flight as dum-dum and the reporter? I can't imagine there are that many flights a day in and out of rural Transylvania, so these LA based people traveling at the same time must have run into each other at some point right?

Are you saying Warren Zevon might be a werewolf?

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 2

Hey! Are they doing my movie yet?

D’oh, so close....

• Like 2

I lsitened to the Valerian episode on the Stitcher free trial and then some old HDTGM for six days and then deleted my account. So free!

Also, Pee Cast Blast is indeed a terrible name for a show.

I am adding the dinosaur sex books to the HDTGW list. You're welcome.

As for the appeal of Todd: He is big and dumb and rich. He also solves problems by punching people. I think the appeal is obvious.

• Like 4

Remember that old lady who got hit by the car outside the village? What happened to the driver of that car?

Do werewolves even know how to drive?

• Like 1

Are you saying Warren Zevon might be a werewolf?

[media='']

[/media]

I don't know if he's a werewolf, but his hair is perfect

• Like 1

So i just started watching the film and i'm already distracted by the fact Jimmy Nail is in it

• Like 1

Late on this one but this is straight garbage..not even fun garbage..just garbage garbage

Something was really bugging me about an early scene where Stefan reveals the existence of werewolves to the bimbo couple.

There was something really familiar about the set. This was haunting me for couple of days before it hit me.

The very distinctive decorative tiling that is used everywhere in the room resembles the tiling used in one of my all time favorite movies, Blade Runner (1982). It is the tiling used in Deckard's apartment

brscapmon.png

Howling 2:

howling.jpg

It turns out that the scene seems to have been filmed in Ennis House, a famous building in Los Feliz: https://en.wikipedia...ki/Ennis_House. The house was included as one of the top ten houses of all time in Los Angeles Times, in a survey of experts in December 2008. It has been used in many film productions, commercials and music videos, for example Blade Runner, Karate Kid part 3 and Twin Peaks. It has inspired sets used on Star Trek: The Next Generation and Predator 2 and there even was a cartoon representation in South Park as the base of a Chinese gang, satirizing the popular association of the Ennis House with criminal and/or Asian characters in films.

The tiles used in Deckard's apartment were created by the famous concept artist Syd Mead (Aliens, Tron and even Time Cop). For the construction of the apartment a mould was taken by the production team from the blocks of the actual Ennis House. None of the interior apartment shots were filmed at the real house, the only location filming at the Ennis House was of the exterior, seen on screen as Deckard drives up the tunnel and pulls into the drive. More information here: http://www.thepropga...-apartment-tile

The same type of tile was also used in other productions, such as Rocketeer and Mulholland Drive.

It is such a small thing from the disaster that is Howling 2, but for me it was really interesting.

• Like 9

The town carnival in Transylvania was to "celebrate full moon". Are they really saying that they throw this elaborate carnival every four weeks or was this a special occasion?

• Like 4

It is such a small thing from the disaster that is Howling 2, but for me it was really interesting.

Thank you for posting this! This kind of stuff fascinates me. It didn't strike me while watching the movie (probably because I wasn't watching this thing particularly closely) but now that you list all those filming locations, I of course recognize those sets and those tiles. Cool stuff!

• Like 2