đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
grudlian.

Musical Mondays Pink Floyd's The Wall

Since Cameron H is sick

The Wall Win A Home Sweepstakes is back! Enter for a chance to win $25,000!

We watched:

The%20Wall%20LBJ_1479159748153_7020191_ver1_0.jpg

No, that's not right.

Two soldiers, trapped by a sniper. Their only chance to survive is The Wall

movieposter.jpg

No....

War is still hell and it really messes up your children:

Pink_Floyd_The_Wall.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks, Grud-bud!

Still sick, but I wanted to ask: who would want to watch this movie high? Is it just the music? Because the images are straight up nightmare-fuel.

• Like 6

Still sick, but I wanted to ask: who would want to watch this movie high? Is it just the music? Because the images are straight up nightmare-fuel.

Yeah definitely the music and Pink Floyd being that kinda band but not through this movie no no no. That's why I had to abandon ship all those years ago and honestly like even sober I kinda wanted to abandon again cause those animations were terrifying.

So when I got to watch that link Part 7 had been deleted... did I miss anything? It was right after the groupie got to his apartment and then it picked back up right before he decided to shave everything.

• Like 3

So when I got to watch that link Part 7 had been deleted... did I miss anything? It was right after the groupie got to his apartment and then it picked back up right before he decided to shave everything.

So he basically goes mad and starts to smash up the place and destroys pretty much everything that isn't nailed down. With cut hand he floats in the pool and thinks back to his wife and him making love. He's then watching TV when the shadow of a woman appears on the wall and turns into a vicious vagina flower and chases him around. He thinks of sex, destruction, and the wall. When we come back to him he's making some nice found art out of the destroyed room. Then he goes to shave.

• Like 4

I tried really hard to watch this, but I couldn't follow anything. I'll admit, I do usually watch movies while cooking so maybe I missed something big. But I ended up abandoning it after part 5 on youtube. Also my youtube app kept trying to skip to part 8, so my frustrations probably colored that abandonment.

• Like 3

So he basically goes mad and starts to smash up the place and destroys pretty much everything that isn't nailed down. With cut hand he floats in the pool and thinks back to his wife and him making love. He's then watching TV when the shadow of a woman appears on the wall and turns into a vicious vagina flower and chases him around. He thinks of sex, destruction, and the wall. When we come back to him he's making some nice found art out of the destroyed room. Then he goes to shave.

Oh so I just missed another analogy for why he dislikes women cool lol.

Honestly kinda like Sara most of the time I had no idea what was actually being said but I definitely understood the flower vagina analogy eating the dick flower *rolls eyes*

• Like 7

Honestly kinda like Sara most of the time I had no idea what was actually being said but I definitely understood the flower vagina analogy eating the dick flower *rolls eyes*

I felt that they thought a lot of their metaphors and such were really deep but were pretty surface and obvious. Like the sex flowers or the school kids going into a meat grinder. I'm just trying to figure out if the butthole face masks all the kids were wearing is suppose to be reflect something beyond them just being all the same and why they went with butthole face parts instead of just a blank featureless face.

• Like 6

Thanks, Grud-bud!

If you are high or tripping or whatever, the movie means something, maaan!

I have some more thoughts but am kind of busy at work and can't go into them now. For now, I'll just say the movie is flawed but not terrible. I get why people don't like it though.

• Like 2

Roger Waters (lead singer of Pink Floyd, creative force behind the album) hated this movie. He felt that Pink is a completely unsympathetic character... and he's right! Pink is a terrible human being. But I don't see what Waters was expecting, the movie follows the lyrics of the album pretty closely. If you don't believe me, here is Roger Waters (in 1979) explaining the Wall to an interviewer as it plays. He comes across as kind of an airhead, which I suppose is appropriate for a rock star. If anything, it's a good reminder of how different music and music journalism was back then.

The movie only took out one song (the radio staple, "Hey You") and only added one ("When the Tigers Broke Free"). And that added song is kind of important for exposition. It is pretty much the only thing on the album that makes Pink sympathetic.

It is interesting to revisit this movie twenty years after I last watched/was obsessed with it. It doesn't hold up in adulthood. But I can see parts about why I liked it.

• Like 6

Thanks, Grud-bud!

I watched it high in 96 I think it was, because I thought it was expected you watch this kind of movie high. It was...disturbing. I didn't abandon ship but it stayed with me a long long time.

• Like 4

I felt that they thought a lot of their metaphors and such were really deep but were pretty surface and obvious. Like the sex flowers or the school kids going into a meat grinder. I'm just trying to figure out if the butthole face masks all the kids were wearing is suppose to be reflect something beyond them just being all the same and why they went with butthole face parts instead of just a blank featureless face.

I thought the face masks were a callback to the (holocaust) train scene from the first part of Another Brick...

An animated butthole make an (ahem) huge appearance at the end of the movie, though.

• Like 5

It is interesting to revisit this movie twenty years after I last watched/was obsessed with it. It doesn't hold up in adulthood. But I can see parts about why I liked it.

Can you please elaborate?

• Like 1

Roger Waters (lead singer of Pink Floyd, creative force behind the album) hated this movie.

But like.... didn't he write it?

EDIT: He did. Wtf he doesn't get to say shit about a movie he wrote the screenplay for.

• Like 3

This covers the part about the groupie and the destroyed room.

Notable groupies:

Jenny Wright (in the hotel room w/Pink): played Marnie in The Lawnmower Man (the lady who goes crazy from cyber sex)

Joanne Whalley (starred in Scandal and acted in Willow - met Val Kilmer and married him for eight years)

Nell Campbell (Little Nell) - Columbia in Rocky Horror Picture Show

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 1

Before I have to turn in for the night I want to point out my favourite thing in the movie. The late great Bob Hoskins plays Bob Geldolf's manager or agent. He only features in a few scenes in the middle but there is one moment when we are seeing the backstage party and Bob Hoskins is just munching away on a halved pineapple like it was an apple.

• Like 6

Before I have to turn in for the night I want to point out my favourite thing in the movie. The late great Bob Hoskins plays Bob Geldolf's manager or agent. He only features in a few scenes in the middle but there is one moment when we are seeing the backstage party and Bob Hoskins is just munching away on a halved pineapple like it was an apple.

My thought at seeing young Bob Hoskins was, “So this is who Chris Claremont wanted to play Wolverine? I’m trying to see it...”

wolverine-hoskins1_1332789741.jpg

• Like 2

Roger Waters (lead singer of Pink Floyd, creative force behind the album) hated this movie. He felt that Pink is a completely unsympathetic character... and he's right! Pink is a terrible human being. But I don't see what Waters was expecting, the movie follows the lyrics of the album pretty closely. If you don't believe me, here is Roger Waters (in 1979) explaining the Wall to an interviewer as it plays. He comes across as kind of an airhead, which I suppose is appropriate for a rock star. If anything, it's a good reminder of how different music and music journalism was back then.

I think Pink comes across a bit more sympathetic on the album. At least until he becomes a pseudo nazi.

The way it comes across to me, the first half of the album is largely just explaining why Pink shuts himself off from the world. Dead father, over protective mother, childhood illness, hated at school, etc. He's just not well developed emotionally. It's not necessarily a unique circumstance especially for English children of WWII. Maybe not likable personality but understandable.

In the movie, he just feels awful. You can sympathize with the child but I want to tell the adult to get over it.

I think one reason Waters hates the movie is that it's largely influenced by his own life (father killed in WWII, rock star, the sequence with the rat is literally from his childhood, etc.). Seeing that on screen and seeing people not like it, well, that's got to be hard.

• Like 4

I think Pink comes across a bit more sympathetic on the album. At least until he becomes a pseudo nazi.

FTFY

Actually can anyone explain to me why he becomes a white supremacist leader? That seemed to come out of nowhere to me and the whole time you're watching this man deal with the aftereffects of England post WWII and the sufferings of depression but then became a fascist himself and I didn't get why that happened at all.

• Like 2

FTFY

Actually can anyone explain to me why he becomes a white supremacist leader? That seemed to come out of nowhere to me and the whole time you're watching this man deal with the aftereffects of England post WWII and the sufferings of depression but then became a fascist himself and I didn't get why that happened at all.

By the way, I'm not sure why they didn't use nazi imagery. Or replaced it with hammers and changed the uniforms to black. Other than it looks less bad to purposefully make your stand-in character a literal nazi.

But they used actual white supremacists for the scenes and the hammers have now been adopted by Hammerskin which is a white supremacist group in Texas.

So, another reason to have left this as an album and not make a movie.

• Like 2

By the way, I'm not sure why they didn't use nazi imagery. Or replaced it with hammers and changed the uniforms to black. Other than it looks less bad to purposefully make your stand-in character a literal nazi.

I mean was anyone watching that entire thing back in the day or now not remembering Nazism? It's kinda the same thing that's happening today (not to make this completely political but watching this definitely brought up some imagery that is all over the news) it doesn't matter what images are being used the message was exactly the same. Queers, Jews, Black - those were the people he pointed out in the movie and those were the people that Hitler targeted. That's why that whole scene doesn't really make sense to me. At first I thought maybe it was signifying the rise of Neo-Nazis in England in the 70s and 80s during the Punk explosion but why have your MAIN CHARACTER lead that fucking terrible movement. None of it makes any fucking sense.

• Like 3

Someone might want to research this, but I think some early depictions of Thor’s hammer Mjölner were carved as swastikas. Maybe it’s a play on that..?

• Like 1

Honest question for the people who like Pink Floyd: why?

Even if I don’t like a musician, I can usually “get” why people do (“I’m looking at you Rolling Stones.) I like a couple of Pink Floyd songs, but more often than not, I tend to skip through them. I would like to hear a fan explain their appeal. I’m open to liking them - as long as it’s not dependent on me getting high.

• Like 4

FTFY

Actually can anyone explain to me why he becomes a white supremacist leader?

I think it's a fantasy.

You can basically assume that everything from Comfortably Numb on is complete fantasy. Pink is dead or very nearly so.

• Like 4

Honest question for the people who like Pink Floyd: why?

Even if I don’t like a musician, I can usually “get” why people do (“I’m looking at you Rolling Stones.) I like a couple of Pink Floyd songs, but more often than not, I tend to skip through them. I would like to hear a fan explain their appeal. I’m open to liking them - as long as it’s not dependent on me getting high.

I liked them before I even started smoking weed. I've never been good about explaining why I like a band though but the melodies of a lot of their songs really get me. "Wish You Were Here" is still one of my favorite songs of all time. I don't think they're the best band in the world but their hits are hits for a reason imo.

• Like 6

I think it's a fantasy.

You can basically assume that everything from Comfortably Numb on is complete fantasy. Pink is dead or very nearly so.

That makes NO FUCKING SENSE

I mean I kinda get it cause he's in a drug haze in the back of that limo and then suddenly a fuckin skinhead leader, but like they make absolutely no effort to explain any of that for the rest of the movie.

• Like 4