🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 5 — Analyze Phish Episode 3

Two episodes in and Scott Aukerman still doesn't like Phish. What are we going to do about it? We're going to bring in Adam Scott, we're going to stick to the jams, and we're going to see what happens! Join us on this tour through the cosmos (sorry) and continue to leave your drug advice in theEarwolf forums.

Will you be referring to the holiday show as the "Feast of the Seven Phishes?" (Sorry.)

This was my favorite episode so far, got very off-track at times, but something about Scott, Harris and Adam together is so funny. Like Scott, I also warmed to them during "Harry Hood" and that one at about 54 minutes in, so I could see myself enjoying some of their stuff, but that still seems to leave a lot of terrible funk.

This show should be called "Analyze Harris Wittles' One-Minute Handjob at a Cowboy Mouth Concert"

"Are you ready for my sixth instrument?"

Love the show, getting in some props before the Phish fans get out of bed. Don't ever change xoxo

Really enjoyed this show again. I hope you can convince Adam or Kulap to go to New York.

Masterstroke for Harris! Including Adam Scott, who could be convinced to enjoy everything from Cannibal Corpse to Enya as long as the sound isn't "muddy," gave Harris some added cache with Hot Saucerman (which I'm pretty sure is the name of a Phish song).

The thing I love about Adam Scott is that it seems like he takes these beliefs he actually has (I like America Rock) and then spins them off so completely that he is totally making fun of himself, but in this completely dead-pan, can't-quite-tell kind of way.

Great episode, guys. Just kidding!

Does my Browser read "Episode 5 - Analyze Phish" as a test? Because Phish fans do stay sober sometimes ya know.

So far it seems Harris has been good at explaining the trees to Scott, but at the expense of acknowledging the forest. Thankfully Scott is in tune with his musical roots though, and MSG will make him realize what he's only been given a glimpse of so far: Phish's songs, lyrics, chorus, etc. (admittedly, the meat on the bone for most bands) is the foreplay. You know, the little tickle, tickle, kiss, kiss. Let's face it: it is hard for even the most diehard fan to take this stuff seriously. But we have the advantage of knowing where this leads us to, so we can appreciate the foreplay more. Even under the influence, Scott will report on experiencing some average songs, a few severely annoying ones, and a couple of melodies that stick in his head. But all of this will pale in comparison to the moments when he gets it. When the dude that looked so sketchy just a couple of songs ago now looks like his brother. When the whole floor shakes and the girl wanders through his aisle and stays for just long enough. When he can't figure out how everyone communally knows when to start the glowstick war.

Scott will enjoy. Not all of it. But enough of it to say: "Hey Harris, if they come to the Hollywood Bowl next year, I AM IN.

See you there Gents, and Happy New Year!

Has a list of maybe 10-15 great Phish songs been made on any of these forums yet? I'd love to know which songs to download and from which live shows.

Does my Browser read "Episode 5 - Analyze Phish" as a test? Because Phish fans do stay sober sometimes ya know.

So far it seems Harris has been good at explaining the trees to Scott, but at the expense of acknowledging the forest. Thankfully Scott is in tune with his musical roots though, and MSG will make him realize what he's only been given a glimpse of so far: Phish's songs, lyrics, chorus, etc. (admittedly, the meat on the bone for most bands) is the foreplay. You know, the little tickle, tickle, kiss, kiss. Let's face it: it is hard for even the most diehard fan to take this stuff seriously. But we have the advantage of knowing where this leads us to, so we can appreciate the foreplay more. Even under the influence, Scott will report on experiencing some average songs, a few severely annoying ones, and a couple of melodies that stick in his head. But all of this will pale in comparison to the moments when he gets it. When the dude that looked so sketchy just a couple of songs ago now looks like his brother. When the whole floor shakes and the girl wanders through his aisle and stays for just long enough. When he can't figure out how everyone communally knows when to start the glowstick war.

Scott will enjoy. Not all of it. But enough of it to say: "Hey Harris, if they come to the Hollywood Bowl next year, I AM IN.

See you there Gents, and Happy New Year!

I hope the message boards aren't too mean to Harris for this one. I found some of the songs surprisingly tolerable - give that guy a gold star, I didn't think it was possible. The only real downside of this episode, as with all of them, was that I had to listen to Phish.

This whole thing is my reality...Constantly trying to get people on the Phish bandwagon. Everyday at work I crank Phish (only person with an ipod dock at my desk)...My work pod has 6 people in it. I have converted 2 out of 6!! Its hard work. Obviously seeing them live is key. But the tunes you played on Episode 2 sucked!! Train Song, Farmhouse, Bouncin, Zero...Come on Harris...!! Scott likes the more instrumental stuff...How about a Divided Sky?? Harris, don't join a religion or cult, that needs members, cuz you ain't coverting anyone. I love this band, but you are killing us right now.
Unfortunately the drugs are key, I hate to say it, but its true.

How stoned do you have to be to accidentally post the same thing twice in four hours? Way to reinforce stereotypes about Phish fans. :P

As for the episode, I am loving it. Not quite as hilarious to listen to as the other two, but it had more genuinely interesting conversations, and some of the Phish music was actually good. REALLY looking forward to the MSG episode. Hearing Scott try to coherently podcast while wasted out of his mind sounds like podcasting GOLD.

Scott is completely right about that saxophone solo during the Fleet Foxes album. I saw them live a few months ago and that one minute doesn't work at all.

my heart literally fluttered when i saw this had come out... and with dream bro adam scott as well? too much.

i think harris is making progress with scott... and even more worryingly, with me. i have pretty much laughed him out of court on the previous two hearings, having been a staunch phish-hater for my entire adult life, but during the last two clips he played i could see myself blissing out to it at a live show, with the right chemical combination of course.

so essentially harris has gone some way towards proving that if you're completely off your twot at a live show, you can learn to enjoy phish's music - i await with baited breath scott's post-narcotic view on the band!

A band so shitty you need to be argued into liking them...A band so bad, you need the right substances to "get them"...Yeah, my loathing for Phish runs deep but my love for this podcast is high as a Phish phan in the parking lot...Scott: Please take Kulap to NYC and reward yourselves with a meal at a Michelin-starred restaurant the following night...Needless to say: cannot wait for the follow up!

This ep was astounding. "Hairy Hood" was actually listenable, and I think Harris is finally matching up the right excerpts with Scott's musical sensibilities. Adam Scott and Cowboy Mouth stories eased the tension, making it easier to get through Scott's recalcitrance and Harris' reluctant defense of Phish. I cannot wait to listen to the NYC show.

Harris, I pulled up Grantland while listening to this episode, and found your latest HumbleBrag article. YOU ARE EVERYWHERE.

Though I hate having to type this title, “Harry Hood” was the first song out of these three episodes where I found myself saying, “Holy crap, I’m having a hard time finding something to hate here!” In those first couple minutes, all I could hear was a truly pleasing melody, with a sensibility close to 90’s bands like Cap’n Jazz, Don Caballero or At the Drive-in. Trey wasn’t going high up on the neck and squealing out stupid bullshit, he was just playing really neat little chords and melodic runs.And thennnnnnn it just kept going and went in directions I didn’t care for at all, with ugly guitar notes and big attempts at being big and grand. This is my inescapable problem with jamming: You don’t need that much of the same thing to achieve something huge. I know some people might say they’re doing a bunch of different stuff during a jam, but I just want them to move along. Oh yeah, and the funky parts are unlistenable. The Ramones are my favorite band, so that might explain why I just can’t take what Phish is laying down. BUT I don’t hate them like I used to. I now have an informed, educated strong dislike of them.

UPDATE: I wrote this before listening to the end of the episode, and that jamming was the most irritating goddamn thing I’ve heard in my life. Trey staying on that one note for like 30 seconds made me take back any respect I have for them. I went back to hating Phish. You screwed it all up again, Harris!

Sign in to follow this