🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 31 Umbrellas of Cherbourg

I agree she's not necessarily a "bad" guy, but she's certainly the antagonist. You can understand her rationale, even if you don't agree with it. However, you can't excuse her that easily. She might be "complex," but she's not *that* complex. It's not that she doesn't want her daughter with Guy because he's off at war or because Gen gets pregnant. Before either of those things happen, she makes it abundantly clear that she doesn't want Gen to be with Guy. So it's not that she's reluctant to "wait for Guy." War and the baby just gives her that fuel to stoke Gen's paranoia fire so she can get her daughter to do what she wants her to do.

Exactly. I should have said antagonist rather than villainous role because there is a difference.

• Like 2

:o I can't imagine keeping in touch with any of my exes.

We were friends before we dated, so that probably helped.

Wait a minute...WTF... I just realized the weirdly odd parallel my story has with the movie. I was in Japan but had to go back to Canada to finish my degree, which meant I was going to be away for two or three years. We mailed back and forth but when I would be buried in my studies I couldn't reply all that quickly. We stayed in contact but the mails became less romantic and eventually after a year and a half a mutual friend told me that she had started seeing someone else. Guys, I am Guy!

• Like 5

So the solution to "teenage love doesn't last long" is "force that relationship to a premature end and saddle your daughter with the first rich guy that shows mild interest?"

But have you seen his mustache?

• Like 5

:o/>/> I can't imagine keeping in touch with any of my exes.

I tried. The problem was, because we didn’t necessarily end things on bad terms, nostalgic memories would make each of us do stupid things. There was a constant need to pull apart and also be together. I created drama, then she created drama. And on and on. One of our final in-person conversations was her telling me that no matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t stop loving me. That conversation ended with me telling her that I no longer felt that way anymore and her going to meet up with her then boyfriend (now husband).

It’s just better for everyone just to make a clean break. I wish I had been smarter.

• Like 5

Point withdrawn!

• Like 6

Point withdrawn!

They're like a second set of eyebrows on his upper lip. And they're always sad.

• Like 5

Love interests with mustaches seems to a common theme in a lot of our Musical Monday movies.

• Like 4

We were friends before we dated, so that probably helped.

Wait a minute...WTF... I just realized the weirdly odd parallel my story has with the movie. I was in Japan but had to go back to Canada to finish my degree, which meant I was going to be away for two or three years. We mailed back and forth but when I would be buried in my studies I couldn't reply all that quickly. We stayed in contact but the mails became less romantic and eventually after a year and a half a mutual friend told me that she had started seeing someone else. Guys, I am Guy!

I was friends with 2 of my exes and still I can't see myself keeping in touch with them. You're just more mature than I am, lol.

Also, any interest in managing a gas station in the future?

• Like 6

Love interests with mustaches seems to a common theme in a lot of our Musical Monday movies.

77cbee6179641f1b92ea44e9daed2e05--reefer-madness-jack-oconnell.jpg

• Like 2

I was friends with 2 of my exes and still I can't see myself keeping in touch with them. You're just more mature than I am, lol.

Also, any interest in managing a gas station in the future?

I kept thinking throughout the whole movie "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, brought to you by Esso. Remember Esso for all your gas needs."

• Like 4

Just wondering if anyone here is still with their first sweetheart? If not, do you wish you were?

Me personally, no, but two of my good friends from high school married their respective sweethearts and are still together. One is a teacher and is still married to the girl he went to prom with. She is a lawyer and they have two kids (at least she was a lawyer. I know she passed the bar and was working in a law firm but took some time off to spend with her kids. I'm not sure if she is practicing at this very second). The other guy actually got his high school sweetheart pregnant the summer after senior year and they remain happily married, now with three kids. Both couples are more well-adjusted than I will ever be and their kids are great.

As for me? No time for kids, I gotta make room in my schedule to watch Rock Star so I can listen to a podcast about it!

• Like 4

One thing I've been thinking, is Umbrellas Of Cherbourg the earliest romance movie where the female lead had an utterly preposterous job (shop girl for an umbrella store)? Is this where the gallery owner or cupcake baker cliche began?

• Like 3

Just wondering if anyone here is still with their first sweetheart? If not, do you wish you were?

I am, but that's only because I was so disinterested/afraid of relationships that I didn't have a real "sweetheart" until I was 24. Only assorted crushes and fumblings until then. When I locked in, I locked in.

I'm also very aware that this is far from typical.

• Like 5