Episode 24 — Superman III LIVE!

28 replies to this topic

#1 Earwolf Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

This week we bring you How Did This Get Made? LIVE from Largo at the Coronet in Los Angeles! Special guest Damon Lindelof joined us for this amazing night of awkward credits, poor storytelling, and bad direction. The night was so amazing that we're releasing it in twoseparateinstallments! Come back next week to hear the rest of the show with yet another special guest. Thanks to Liezl Estipona who took the amazing photos of the event you see on Earwolf. You can, and should, find her photography bookLiezl Was Hereon Blurb.

#2 Robert Strawsburg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:33 AM

Awesome episode! I can't wait to hear next week's installment. Love it when you guys have people related to the projects on.

#3 Steve Henel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:20 AM

Superman Returns would have been so much better if Superman's bastard son was the fruit of the union between him and the blonde from Superman III. That would actually have given Lois a reason to leave him other than "Oh, you were in space. Sorry."

#4 Daniel Earwicker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:12 AM

I loved this movie when I was eleven! This is why we must always ignore the opinions of children.

#5 NelsonTwins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

To be fair, wasn't there a sex scene in Superman II? Superman woos Lois back at his ice castle and he decides to give up his powers to "make love" to her. They wake up under aluminum foil blankets. Right? Did that happen? or was it a weirdly erotic dream I had?

#6 Paul Tabachneck

Songmonger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:26 AM

This movie came out at a time when I trusted brands. It wasn't even about "Is Superman III a good movie," it was about, "Hey, it's another Superman movie! Awesome! Why is he doing that to the tower of Pisa? Doesn't matter! I wish he'd come to my bowling alley birthday party!"

I was SHOCKED watching this movie as an adult. Those opening credits are crazy!

#7 Alex Goldberger

Cowboy Poet Laureate of the Southeast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:12 PM

I googled "superman iii opening credits" but was unsuccessful in finding the scene they talk about here. Could someone point me in the right direction?

#8 Heather Mayer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:01 PM

Main credits sequence on youtube -

Such a hilarious episode! I subscribed to this podcast on a whim yesterday and I'm now working my way through all the episodes! Just added Battlefield Earth on Netflix so I can fully enjoy the episode later tonight! Wheee!

#9 Andrew Ryan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:18 AM

I'd like to point out that the not-so-dumb blonde girlfriend in Superman III is Pamela Stephenson, fairly notable for several reasons. In possibly descending order of importance:
1) She was a big star in late 70s, early 80s in the comedy show 'Not the Nine O Clock News', which launched several careers including Rowan Atkinson. She was very funny in it - check out clips on Youtube.
2) She's been married to Billy Connelly the past 30 years
3) She's a qualified clinical psychologist
4) She's a sex columnist for the Guardian newspaper.
5) In 2010 she came third in Strictly Come Dancing, the show America turned into Dancing with the Stars (with most of the same judges).
6) She's now in her early sixties and still really looks great

#10 Pam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

I could have SWORN I watched Superman III on TV around 15 years ago (first time) and I just don't remember it being this freaking BAD! I'll have to catch it the next time it's shown, if ever. This episode makes me want to see the original again. Christopher Reeve WAS Superman.
Andrew, thanks for the info on Pamela Stephenson. Sounds like she's a very accomplished woman. I'll look her up on YT.

#11 Kevin Irmiter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:38 PM

@Heather Mayer: I don't think that was the opening sequence everyone is talking about. The third movie broke with the first two by having this crazy slapstick-y sequence, Instead of having the opening credits roll over space like the first two. Certain later versions (like the TV version) changed the opening credits to the "in space" version that you see here. (At least, that's how I understand it. I haven't seen this movie since I was a kid, so I don't remember the ridiculous intro they are talking about.)

#12 Baloney Sandwich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:32 AM

Yes Superman 3 is totally dumb and clearly was a mismatch for the kid audience. But I think that truly crappy films are filled with baaaad acting. They can't sell the stuff they are trying to peddle. I don't feel that about Superman 3 - the plot is ludicrous and directing ridiculous, but Christopher Reeves is creepy as rapey Superman, right? Or have I read too many 5 star Amazon reviews? I don't know, I was hoping for a more outrageously bad-on-many-levels film for the first LIVE show.

#13 Jacob Crites

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:27 AM

Amaaaaaazing episode. Damon should be on the show more often! He fit right in.

#14 Ross Martin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:56 AM

As a kid, I didn't really realize how shitty Superman III was, but I do remember being a little confused by it. But when I saw it again years later, and saw Richard fucking Prior skiing off a skyscraper, I remember thinking, WTF. This was the funniest episode yet to me, and maybe the live audience helped.

#15 Wien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Locationaustin, tx

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

THIS CONCLAVE IS OVER!!!!!!

#16 Mark Nash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

Yeah Superman III was an experience i recall being confused by it after enjoying the first two to a reasonable degree... but as an adult you really get to appreciate the bizzareness of it all. I do recall the rapey Superman bits being particularly confusing and not at all what I wanted from a one dimensional, inspirational and a relentless embodiment of ethics that is Superman.

And yeah.. poor Pamela Stephenson.. she came off badly in an incredibly stupid role.. Sexy in an 80's poodle perm way and then reduced to tinfoil covered buffoonery.

#17 Incard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

I'm a new listener to HDTGM, and have caught up on all the episodes currently available on iTunes. Thanks for making this fun show for us Paul, June, Jason and intern ^_^

I really loved the review of Superman III. I saw this as a kid and had no recollection of how bug-eating insane it is.

I especially enjoy the episodes in which a person somehow connected to the production can share their insights. Jack O'Halloran was interesting for that reason. But - was this just me or did he come across as a name-dropping, bragging, hooligan with delusions of grandeur? Despite this, he seemed affable enough. Odd that.

#18 hJ81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

Is this mostly indicative of the other podcasts? 60+ minutes of obvious and uninsightful commentary mocking silly or shaky film logic? Perhaps it's due to being in front of a live audience where the hosts/guests feel the need to "perform" and turn everything they say into some sort of joke to constantly goad their audience for applause, but this got old very quickly.

#19 Shea Stewart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

Has Superman always been a kid diddler?

#20 Handinpants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:49 AM

A couple of things about this episode.

Not only does Michael Bolton reference Superman 3 when proposing the plan to rob Initech, he actually says the line "They did it in Superman 3... a great movie, actually."

Additionally, the fire scene with the five-mile-away lake is incredible. Here goes:
5 miles is 5 mi / ft * 5280 ft = 26400 ft
Running at a speedy 12 mph, firefighters would take 25 minutes to drag their 26,400 foot hose (which would weigh an insane amount and be impossible not to catch on innumerable obstacles) to the lake. The water would then, if flowing at the speed of gravity (it wouldn't), take 26,400 ft / 32.2 ft / sec = 819.9 sec = 13.7 min to arrive at the fire. So, 39 minutes to get the water to the truck after realizing they had run out, even if the firefighters did bring the 26,400 foot hose. That building would be a smoldering pile by then.

Fuck you, David and Leslie Nelson, co-writers of Superman 3, for your inept math and planning. Fuck you.