25 - Chronic Town

25 replies to this topic

#1 Dalton Maltz

Foruman

• Moderators
  • 769 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:16 AM

Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) and Scott Aukerman (Comedy Bang! Bang!) come together once again as superfan Adam Scott Aukerman–but this time to discuss the music and impact of the band R.E.M. In this first episode, Scott and Scott share how they initially encountered the music of R.E.M. before launching into a track-by-track breakdown of the group’s first EP, Chronic Town.

#2 stoner witch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:56 AM

Oh my god FINALLY I never thought I'd live to see the day where I got to learn the names of the members of REM!!

#3 LORDWIZARD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:28 AM

I really hope they have Paul F. Tompkins on as a guest so we can hear all about when the first time was that heard of the band REM.

#4 Chester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationOblivion

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:06 AM

All right, fun's fun, but now you bastards have really gone too far.

#5 Bernard Shakey

Bernard Shakey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:38 AM

I'm hoping for a Harry Potter SubPodcast - maybe bring in Chef Kevin. I don't know. I'm just spitballin here.

#6 the ostrich

father figure to domantas sabonis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:55 AM

DALTON! Can you hear me? Can you feel me?

#7 ReginaCrimpsManager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:04 AM

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH ALREADY

I need a "Stip& & Peter $ & Miller & $Berry" t-shirt too plz

#8 BLOOOR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:55 AM

<hifi nerd>

The Metal Type IV Cassettes (chrome instead of the regular iron oxide) supposedly had stronger high end, stronger low end, and less noise - and would wear the tape heads down much quicker than your normal iron oxide tape.

The Mobile Fidelity Gold CDs are less about the gold disc (less corrosive gold vs normal aluminium) and more about the specific master being designed for maximum dynamic range (quieter is quieter, so that the loud shit can be fucking loud).

</hifi nerd>

#9 ReginaCrimpsManager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:09 AM

also I love REM a lot and have since about 1991 when my family got our first CD player and it came with a free CD version of Out Of Time. I was into U2 back then too but that's faded, but REM is still there -- I still play their stuff a lot. they do have definite eras which should make this podcast fun: early spirited mysterious jangley rock for the first few albums, then they went slightly more mainstream (though granted, a strange mainstream) for a bit. then they started rocking and that was great too. then they became a trio and made some bland stuff, though some great gems are buried in there for sure. their career is fascinating and weird and definitely discussion-worthy.

(also I'll add, I'm a band fan who LIKES hearing The Scotts discuss bands I like; we don't get enough credit - it's always 'the band fans hate us' and 'comedy fans like us'.)

I do think they could try to get Mike Mills on the pcast: he's active on twitter and super cool.

#10 yeah toast!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:31 AM

I was a big enough fan of U2 to have listened to every single one of their albums before UTU2TM existed. Not to brag, but I knew a thing or two about U2.

I barely know REM. Maybe ten songs. Not even the band member names. I am extremely excited for this!

#11 Mystery Fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

Do you think Scott was eating another one of his classic high-end candy bars?

#12 Asadasa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:27 AM

The Chronic sounds different from how I remember it.

#13 Señor Butt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:10 AM

We need Todd Glass on the "New Adventures of Hi Fi" episode where we delve even deeper into his love for Reverb, P.A., and background drummers

#14 Kickpuncher

Sentient Meat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

What part do you think was more infuriating for uninitiated REM fans, listing the band members or the run of sub-podcasts?

#15 BrownsvilleBoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:13 PM

Thank you, Scotts! You just made my day.

#16 kyleidoscope

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:27 PM

This is good news! I was hoping for U Talking Heads 2 Me, to be perfectly honest, but I'd listen to the Scotts talk about Puddle of Mudd if they wanted to.

#17 Neato As Fuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:03 PM

OH MY FUCKING ALL THE GOD

#18 Henry

Hey guys

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:47 AM

Posted Image

I'm already learning so much!

#19 neckwear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:25 AM

The Hib-Tone version of "Radio Free Europe" is far superior, no doubt. So stoked to hear you guys talk about the I.R.S. years.

#20 dask360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:24 AM

Missed opportunity to not have a monetary thread and name him Mike Millions (assuming Stipe& = stipend).