Episode 182.5 - Minisode 182.5

29 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:26 AM

Babies listening to podcasts, a vasectomy update, and more on this week’s minisode! Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for Rock Star, recommends some great stuff for you to check out in Paul’s Pick of the Week, and the Movie Bitches review The Greatest Showman. Plus, important info on next week’s movie!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli...wdidthisgetmade
Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:
You can see Jason, June, and Paul in The Disaster Artist in theaters now.
Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. Paul can be seen on A Futile and Stupid Gesture, Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, Opening Night, and Veep. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.
Jason can be seen in The Good Place, The House, The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.
listen to carmen christopher on the latest ep of my podcast trends with benefits twb.cool

#2 SlidePocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:54 AM

The director of Superman IV: The Quest for Peace makes his return!

#3 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:01 AM

Congrats on the win grudlian!
Mary Lane: (singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."
-- Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

Chad Gates: "On you, wet is my favorite color"
-- Blue Hawaii (1961)

Om Kapoor: "Because when O.K. gives a take, it's an okay take!"
-- Om Shanti Om (2005)

#4 grudlian.

Debbie Downer Award Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:41 AM

View PostCinco DeNio, on 23 February 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

Congrats on the win grudlian!

Thanks. I don't think I deserve it. Paul read my comments making me sound much more sure of my informant than I am. I'll take it though.

But I have at least seen (a replica of) the batmobile in person. So, maybe?

#5 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:30 AM

Paul, it definitely could have been a roofie pill lol. I am also not well versed in 80s drug culture (outside of everyone doing coke right?) but that totally looked like something I've seen in a million other movies where they take ecstasy so it could have also just been a 2001 slip up where they weren't quite aware that that drug hadn't been around back then.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#6 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:36 AM

Also, hey another movie bitches review I agree with! Even though I still haven't actually seen The Greatest Showman but everything they said is exactly why I don't want to see it *grimacing emoji goes here*
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#7 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:40 AM

Want to be a total dirtbag like Mark Wahlberg? Well, you too can own a 1966 Batmobile!*
https://www.hemmings...ed/2019029.html

*Note: The status of Mark Wahlberg as a Dirtbag Garbage Homunculus is in no way a reflection on the wonders of the 1966 Batman TV show, Adam West, anyone involved in the TV show's production, or even Batman the character.
"Warning: Detected synaptic seepage. Neural failure within 24 hours... Welcome to Newark."
- Johnny Mnemonic (1995)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#8 SaraK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:37 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 23 February 2018 - 09:36 AM, said:

Also, hey another movie bitches review I agree with! Even though I still haven't actually seen The Greatest Showman but everything they said is exactly why I don't want to see it *grimacing emoji goes here*

I actually went and saw it last night! I agree that if you going in knowing PT is a garbage human, then its a little weird when he starts getting super selfish and causing problems. Like "oh HERE'S where they reveal he's awful"(spoiler alert, they don't do that). But if you pretend its about a rando starting a circus, its actually pretty fun. The music is good and I loved the choreography of the big numbers. I wouldn't recommend it unless I knew the person liked musicals, but still fun to see.

#9 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

View PostSaraK, on 23 February 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

I actually went and saw it last night! I agree that if you going in knowing PT is a garbage human, then its a little weird when he starts getting super selfish and causing problems. Like "oh HERE'S where they reveal he's awful"(spoiler alert, they don't do that). But if you pretend its about a rando starting a circus, its actually pretty fun. The music is good and I loved the choreography of the big numbers. I wouldn't recommend it unless I knew the person liked musicals, but still fun to see.

I think I'm just gonna wait to see it till it's available streaming cause I already have to be very conscious about which movies I go see in theaters because of $$$ so paying that $$$ to see a movie about a dude I fucking HATE is not high on my list of things to do.

I had this girl online try and convince me that I must go see it in theaters and it's "oddly progressive" and I was like okay the movie itself can be but then entire time I'm gonna be thinking about how the real PT was a racist animal abuser who used these people for his monetary gain sooooo.... And then she proceeded to tell me that she in fact refused to go see The Shape of Water because she felt like the fact that Sally and the fish man end up together was problematic because it told the audiences she was too ugly for humans ?????????

#10 grudlian.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:57 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 23 February 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

I had this girl online try and convince me that I must go see it in theaters and it's &quot;oddly progressive&quot;

It's not. Not even a little bit. I'd say it's not actively regressive but, in a sense, it kind of is considering they are trying to make an objectively not progressive person even for his time seem progressive.

#11 SaraK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:17 PM

I think I'm just gonna wait to see it till it's available streaming cause I already have to be very conscious about which movies I go see in theaters because of $$$ so paying that $$$ to see a movie about a dude I fucking HATE is not high on my list of things to do.

I had this girl online try and convince me that I must go see it in theaters and it's "oddly progressive" and I was like okay the movie itself can be but then entire time I'm gonna be thinking about how the real PT was a racist animal abuser who used these people for his monetary gain sooooo.... And then she proceeded to tell me that she in fact refused to go see The Shape of Water because she felt like the fact that Sally and the fish man end up together was problematic because it told the audiences she was too ugly for humans ?????????

I'm not sure you should trust that girl's opinion.

#12 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:19 PM

View PostSaraK, on 23 February 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

I'm not sure you should trust that girl's opinion.

I don't even know her and I was like no I don't think I want to know you now

#13 grudlian.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:29 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 23 February 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

I don't even know her and I was like no I don't think I want to know you now

I liked the movie just fine.

It's annoying for the movie to kind of throw out that maybe Barnum was progressive (accidentally) when we know he wasn't. You can sanitize his life for a musical. That's fine I guess. Don't make one of the main the messages of the movie "hey hes actually progressive if u think about it!!!!!"

#14 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:23 PM

And then she proceeded to tell me that she in fact refused to go see The Shape of Water because she felt like the fact that Sally and the fish man end up together was problematic because it told the audiences she was too ugly for humans ?????????

LOL!

#15 sycasey 2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:16 PM

I know people who have said that Greatest Showman is worth seeing for the music, even though its depiction of Barnum is bullshit.

I will also probably wait for home video.

#16 SnakeGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:19 PM

Just because nobody has posted the name yet, the movie is Ladybugs starring Rodney Dangerfield. This movie is both terrible and super watchable, nice pick.

You can straight up just watch the whole thing on YouTube too

#17 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:45 AM

Listening to that Ladybugs trailer all I could think was...

Posted Image
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#18 iamSGA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:59 AM

awww yiss!

I watched Ladybugs religiously when I was like 8, haha. Vinessa Shaw was prob my first crush, lol.

Rewatching this is gonna be great b/c I'll pick up all the stuff I didn't realize back in the day.
"Hey Sully, remember when I told you I'd kill you last? I LIED!"

-John Matrix, Commando

"Don't worry Scrote, there's lots of tards out there doing real kickass things. My first wife was 'tarded...she's a pilot now."

-Justin Long, Idiocracy

#19 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:36 AM

View Postgrudlian., on 23 February 2018 - 08:41 AM, said:

Thanks. I don't think I deserve it. Paul read my comments making me sound much more sure of my informant than I am. I'll take it though.

But I have at least seen (a replica of) the batmobile in person. So, maybe?

I have too!
Posted Image

Posted Image
Mary Lane: (singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."
-- Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

Chad Gates: "On you, wet is my favorite color"
-- Blue Hawaii (1961)

Om Kapoor: "Because when O.K. gives a take, it's an okay take!"
-- Om Shanti Om (2005)

#20 SeaSkunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationThe Bunker

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:11 PM

I was worried this Ladybugs movie would just be uncomfortable sexual innuendos, but turns out there's racism too!