🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 52 — One Year Anniversary!

Can you believe it's been a year since we got this charty started? Prepare yourself for our One Year Anniversary episode with special guest Sarah Silverman! You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll chart, you'll leave a better person than you came in! We have special charts just for the occasion, so tune in and celebrate this glorious day with us!

Math Rock! Okay, let's put this to bed. I am not a math rock fan but I study music. Math rock in its most basic definition is alt with complex time changes not typical in your basic chorus verse chorus POP song.

Sarah and Harris are fellow Frightened Rabbit fans? Awesome! I saw them live in Philly a year or two ago; they're fantastic.

I am listening in Madison, WI, and I'd love to get in on that replace Engineer Dustin contest.

All that aside...congrats on the 1 year anniversary Who Charted! You guys are amazing!

It's been funny hearing people try to describe this fairly dumb genre (which barely exists at this point anymore) over the course of a year, in seemingly random ways every time!

I'm not a "math rock" fan either but yeah its just about TIME SIGNATURES.

That's where "math" comes from... it has nothing to do with computers, it's not "all about the drums", etc. It's just "weird" time signatures, within the music. That's IT! It's often instrumental.

I think even Kris' explanation up there is a bit confusing!

it's just about unusual time signatures. that's it

I think of math rock as "alternative rock with unusual time signatures" That's probably oversimplifying things, but hopefully would give someone a vague idea of what it might sound like.
-
I know even the phrase "time signatures" might not be something non-musicians aren't very familiar with, but that isn't too hard to explain is it?
-
Anyway congratulations on going for a year guys. I'm not someone who pays much attention to the charts so I was a bit indifferent when I first saw the concept of the show, so at first I only tuned in occasionally if there was a guest I was really interested in. But over time I started listening regularly because I wanted to hear Howard and Kulap every week and the guests were just a very big bonus on top of that. And now thanks to the show, I actually am able to keep up with the top movies and music. So thanks for the consistently great show you guys.

Kulap, I don't think a guy named Barack is going to give you shit for your name.

Some real pipes on Howard there in Beachcombah! I was all "golly!"

Here's to many more!

Happy anniversary, Who Charted!
The first episode I listened to was Sarah Silverman's first appearance, when I was listening to every episode of Earwolf shows she'd appeared on, and I've been hooked ever since. The Kulap/Sarah friendship is one of my favorite things in the world. The two of them singing Rilo Kiley together was extremely adorable.

can't believe it's been a year.
seems like only yesterday that you were making fun of Pink songs and Harry Potter movies.

Happy Birthday guys! continue to be fucking great.

(and Beachcomber put a big dumb smile on my face)

Wow, those Silverman girls don't mess around when it comes to new blokes ;) hehe

Howard, “The Beach Comba” was everything I could have wished for and more. As the winter descends on my Iowa home, the harsh reality of summah’s passing is tough to take, but this song has got me revved up for next year, when I will make sure to seize every day like it’s the last day of summah.

Hearing both Sarah and Howard say, "they might be giants" gave me an immediate nerdgasm.

Sign in to follow this