🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
DaltonMaltz

26 - Murmur

Adam Scott Aukerman are back this week to talk all about R.E.M.’s debut studio album Murmur. They’ll discuss getting their first albums on tape, trivia bits from the band’s hometown of Athens, Georgia, and Murmur’s mysterious lyrics. Plus, we’ll hear how the album got its name, the boys’ thoughts on the new Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees, and the story behind Murmur’s melodic bass lines.

I just want to thank the entire Earwolf team for correctly typing "R.E.M." every time. It's amazing how often people get that wrong.

• Like 1

"Did I tell you what happened to my car recently?"

"No00o0o0ooo!"

Haaarriemmm

For as much as "Dollar Bill Strawberry" made me laugh out loud, "Buckbury" rolls off the tongue easier.

• Like 1

I love these guys, but does anyone else feel like the Scotts sound like they have maybe never heard music before? They were both talking about how brilliant R.E.M. were for using AABABCB, arguably the most common song structure there is? And, "On most albums, by seven songs in the band is out of ideas"? And were they implying that R.E.M.'s b-side cover of "There She Goes Again" popularized The Velvet Underground? I'm pretty sure "Sweet Jane" has been in pretty steady radio rotation since 1970.

Anyway, great ep. This is great, uhh, podcast.

• Like 2

I would also not pay for that.

I mean, unless it's included in some sort of Stitcher Premium subscriber exclusive content. Then i'd think about it.

> And were they implying that R.E.M.'s b-side cover of "There She Goes Again" popularized The Velvet Underground? I'm pretty sure "Sweet Jane" has been in pretty steady radio rotation since 1970.

True, but this is not the first time R.E.M. has received that credit, and I think it is actually somewhat true. As Scott said, VU were out of print mostly at the time. New college indie listeners probably didn't know them anyway in 1983. They helped bring attention back to the VU at a time when they had drifted into relative obscurity. It is hard to imagine now, since VU are legends now. This is mentioned in the recent Lou Reed biography by Anthony DeCurtis too. (R.E.M. also had this affect on Nick Drake and Syd Barrett's solo records!)

Also I'll add, the quote about the VU having only sold 1000 albums, but all 1000 of those people started bands... that didn't come from R.E.M., but the Scotts' friend, old sourpuss, Brian Eno.

• Like 2

I'll repeat the same joke I made on reddit: All this talk of Mummer made me think I was listening to "I C U R Talkin' XTC 2 Me" ;):);)

• Like 2

Is this an episode of James Bonding?

SCOTT AND SCOTT

SCOTT AND SCOTT

JAMESBONDINGPODCAST

I love these guys, but does anyone else feel like the Scotts sound like they have maybe never heard music before? They were both talking about how brilliant R.E.M. were for using AABABCB, arguably the most common song structure there is? And, "On most albums, by seven songs in the band is out of ideas"? And were they implying that R.E.M.'s b-side cover of "There She Goes Again" popularized The Velvet Underground? I'm pretty sure "Sweet Jane" has been in pretty steady radio rotation since 1970.

Anyway, great ep. This is great, uhh, podcast.

I don't know how anyone can listen to this podcast and take anything they say with sincerity.

Perhaps I missed it, but I was surprised that the Scotts didn't bring up "Shaking Through", which is, to my mind, the best song on the album and in my personal top ten of all of their songs.

Also, I had the opportunity to briefly chat with Mitch Easter on Facebook and wish him a Happy New Year on January 1, 2018. I told him that I had just heard

earlier that day and gushed about how awesome it is.

And one more bonus Mitch Easter fact: his daughter Tamara Easter makes a cameo appearance in "Steven's Last Night in Town" by Ben Folds Five ("He's charmed everyone here / Except Tamara Easter / Who later revealed to him / Her innermost secrets").

• Like 1

Perhaps I missed it, but I was surprised that the Scotts didn't bring up "Shaking Through", which is, to my mind, the best song on the album and in my personal top ten of all of their songs.

Okay, so I relistened and they did bring it up in their song-by-song rundown. Never mind.

I'm late to the party here but at 1:15:18 Scott talks about how Colin Hanks asked if there was a better first three tracks than "some record," which Scott couldn't remember. That made me a bit curious so I tried looking for that interaction. It took a bit but I found the tweet.

You guys.

Colin Hanks was talking about Joshua Tree.

Look at the first 3 tracks on @U2's Joshua Tree. There another album on earth that opens with THREE timeless anthems? Don't think so.

Seriously, how did Scott not remember that? Those first three songs are seriously amazing and Scott and Scott were jizzing all over them in the Joshua Tree episode.

My ranking of the songs:

1. Perfect Circle

2. We Walk

3. Radio Free Europe

4. Pilgrimage

5. Talk About the Passion

6. Catapult

7. Moral Kiosk

8. Sitting Still

9. Laughing

10. 9-9

11. Shaking Through