🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 183 - Ladybugs: LIVE!

I work in sales. And if you are the #1 sales guy, the only promotion is into management. And generally if you are the best sales person you are making more money than your manager.

So why would he take less money at his age?

You might take that position if you wanted to work into upper management, then maybe a vice-president. But that takes time. I don't think Rodney has that kind of time.

• Like 3

I work in sales. And if you are the #1 sales guy, the only promotion is into management. And generally if you are the best sales person you are making more money than your manager.

So why would he take less money at his age?

You might take that position if you wanted to work into upper management, then maybe a vice-president. But that takes time. I don't think Rodney has that kind of time.

Mr. Mullen refers to him as "Vice President" in the final scene. They evidently put a ton of stock into their company sponsored sports teams...It's your ticket to the top.

• Like 4

Since it came up in the episode, apparently Mr. Mullen's company designs malls and Chester "sells" the retail space - which seems kind of weird.

In the scene where Chester is asking for a promotion they have this exchange:

Mr. Mullen: The new mall in the south district. Boy, what a beauty.

Chester: I'll sell this space out in no time, Mr. Mullen. Have no fear, Chester is here.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

My biggest bone to pick with this movie is the "underdog" storyline. The lady bugs are the champions of the Rocky Mountain soccer league five years running. They have huge signs on their practice field saying so. Yes, they lost most of their old team, but to other teams their legacy alone would make people expect big things from them - the opposite of an underdog. I would assume in this recreational league that most of the other teams wouldn't even be that aware of the turnover and would be trembling in their cleats when they played the bugs. As reigning champs they would be the team to beat.

Besides this, they are NOT the bad news bears or the mighty ducks because of another big difference: CORPORATE MONEY. Uniforms, practice uniforms, balls, flags, signs, bags, coolers, a varied coach and ass't coach uniform... their own practice field. This team has it.

r context these would be the bad guys.

Don't forget they even have their own Ladybugs branded bullhorn. Now that's corporate money at work.

• Like 5

These pictures makes me think of something I was wondering. I could be completely off base here, and this is where I wished June chimed in more but are these scores normal for soccer matches of this age group? If you have kids in youth soccer or were part of it I am very curious. We have 8-7, 9-7, 6-4 just from Mullen's boards alone and those seem very high for a soccer match. Currently the top premier league team's biggest win was 5-1 but most of the games are 2-1, 1-1, 3-0. I know there is a big difference between young kids and top tier professionals but these scores just seem ridiculously high. What makes this even weirder in the Ladybug's first match when all the players but one were new and they had no skills or anything they lost 9-0. Wow! They got creamed, right? Well, if they are winning 8-7 and 9-7, they're getting goals now but defensively speaking they are doing as good as when they had no training. They are just kicking more and that seems to be netting them goals. Are they actually getting any better overall though?

I played soccer at about the age of these girls... I was not good. June mentioned that she was a forward which means she was indeed probably pretty good. At this age if you actually have some soccer ability they probably put you at forward or goalie (Which, as TL pointed out, is crazy that they made Chu the goalie seeing as how inexperienced she was.) The midfield and defensive positions are filled with well-intentioned but less skilled players (like me!)

At this age defensive play is not as stressed and everything is mostly focused on trying to score, so yes these youth leagues probably do score more but 9-7 does seem excessive. I guess those scores are just more exciting than showing 1-0. (Although a 1-0 victory is sort of a funny in joke.)

• Like 4

Since it came up in the episode, apparently Mr. Mullen's company designs malls and Chester "sells" the retail space - which seems kind of weird.

In the scene where Chester is asking for a promotion they have this exchange:

Mr. Mullen: The new mall in the south district. Boy, what a beauty.

Chester: I'll sell this space out in no time, Mr. Mullen. Have no fear, Chester is here.

Oh thank god... This was actually bugging me quite a bit.

• Like 3

Eddie Murphy had a lot of hits (there's also 48 Hours, Nutty Professor, Trading Places, and Bowfinger), so he might be a bad example.

It's definitely just my opinion but... meh.

original.gif

• Like 3

It's definitely just my opinion but... meh.

original.gif

More of a Golden Child fan?

• Like 6

Did anyone ever really talk about the totally agro coach from the first team they win against, Coach Annie?

3.jpg

Chester and Mullens spent 2 full minutes talking about how unattractive she is and how mice would leap from the floor when she walked in? She talks shit to them the whole game, and then after the game, comes over looking for a hug?

• Like 3

I'm still confused why adding butterflies to the soccer ball got Chu focused on the game and unlocked her skill. I know that she liked butterflies but, as far as I know, butterfly collectors don't collect them by kicking them (or feel any real animosity towards butterflies).

• Like 4

I'm still confused why adding butterflies to the soccer ball got Chu focused on the game

That's because the joke is both racist and outdated. The perfect Ladybugs combo:

madame.jpeg

• Like 6

Did anyone ever really talk about the totally agro coach from the first team they win against, Coach Annie?

3.jpg

Chester and Mullens spent 2 full minutes talking about how unattractive she is and how mice would leap from the floor when she walked in? She talks shit to them the whole game, and then after the game, comes over looking for a hug?

Chester's reaction after the game to her peace offering is just more proof that he and the Ladybugs were not the good guys. :angry:

• Like 4

3.jpg

She gets yellow carded at one point. Coach Annie is a ridiculous person.

• Like 2

3.jpg

Chester and Mullens spent 2 full minutes talking about how unattractive she is and how mice would leap from the floor when she walked in?

I had real issues with how quick Chester was to make fun of someone for their looks. Coach Annie, for one, and muttering how an overweight man should stay indoors to "beautify" the neighborhood, for another. I just felt like yelling, "You're one to talk you bug-eyed goon!"

I know that she liked butterflies but, as far as I know, butterfly collectors don't collect them by kicking them (or feel any real animosity towards butterflies).

Actually, it's a little known fact that lepidopterists love nothing more than kicking the ever-loving shit out of those beautiful motherfuckers. It's the next best thing to impaling them and showcasing their tiny, insect corpses in a macabre display of dominance

bflies-076.jpg

• Like 4

I'm still confused why adding butterflies to the soccer ball got Chu focused on the game and unlocked her skill. I know that she liked butterflies but, as far as I know, butterfly collectors don't collect them by kicking them (or feel any real animosity towards butterflies).

Or this is how she gets good at being the goalie. Put butterflies on the ball and just start yelling at her to "catch the butterflies." We see her jumping and diving to grab them. Rather in the movie she believes in herself and just gets good. I ask you, which is more unrealistic?

At this age defensive play is not as stressed and everything is mostly focused on trying to score, so yes these youth leagues probably do score more but 9-7 does seem excessive. I guess those scores are just more exciting than showing 1-0. (Although a 1-0 victory is sort of a funny in joke.)

Again I hate to be doing this screenwriter's work for him but 9-0 is not a huge blow out if the other scores are going to be comparable. Soccer is well known for its low scores so you can either do what you suggested and have the funny joke of them being blown out of the water 1-0 or just go super over the top and have 20-0. Either case 9-0 is just like "oh, that's bad. Surprised it wasn't higher."

• Like 2

Is Rodney's implied rapey pederast character in Ladybugs the same as his overtly rapey pederast character from Natural Born Killers?

Dangerfield looks upset whenever his wife shows up and says i love u as a lie to distract when son is sneaking in drag. The lady who faint at mall was great. 12 year old dont skinny dip

I hate to admit this but I skinny dipped ONCE when I was like 11 at our pool with a friend (why I do not know) and y mom's friend from next door like pulled a Wilson from Home Improvement and popped over our fence to ask me to go get my mom who was in inside and WOULD NOT go away and I distinctly remember having to get out from my floaty castle and i had to run as fast as I could ass naked to the deck in full view of this woman and my friend who was hiding and laughing

i have never skinny dipped since that day nor will I.

In the episode, Paul mentioned that Sidney J. Furie is a HDTGM legend.

I agree, although I should note that he was not fired from Superman IV (Paul might be remembering Superman II, where Richard Donner was fired in favor of Richard Lester). Does this mean that Iron Eagle is in the offing?

Mommie Dearest? I mean, for pure batshittery it's hard to beat.

I've never seen it all but i always seem to find it on tv around the bit where Joan is admonishing her house keeper for not moving a potted plant to wash under it (or wash the plant?) and says something like "I'm not mad at you I'm mad at the dirt!"

I would really love it if someone on the forums would write me a really tight backstory as to how this man -

296111_full.jpg

won Bess' heart.

He's insecure, unscrupulous, lecherous, rude, has a tendency to constantly "perform,"and doesn't get along with her teenage son in the slightest. This isn't even to mention that - physically - he doesn't appear to be well. So what does she see in him? How did these two lovebirds meet?

• Like 1

I keep laughing about how there are more people in the marching band on the field at the championships than there are people in the stands.

Also, the scene between Penny and Chester is just so gross. When he says she wouldn't date him and she says she would. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

I would really love it if someone on the forums would write me a really tight backstory as to how this man -

won Bess' heart.

He's insecure, unscrupulous, lecherous, rude, has a tendency to constantly "perform,"and doesn't get along with her teenage son in the slightest. This isn't even to mention that - physically - he doesn't appear to be well. So what does she see in him? How did these two lovebirds meet?

Here's a pic of Bess' first husband (Matthew's father.)

13502-e22fdee123534e3890cd57b82378e451-1.jpg

and here's her current husband (after Chester passed)

SOzgMVk.jpg

• Like 8

Also, as one of the older kids on a soccer team that her parents have sponsored and fervently championed for years, it's strange that this is her first season. Unless it took this long for her parents to finally pressure her into joining the team. But if they KNEW she sucked, why pressure her at all, especially if all they are interested in is winning?

I hate that I've spent my time thinking about all this.

The only thing I could thing of was maybe her parents have been trying to get her into a sport she DOESN'T suck at? Like they just have a list of stuff and every year she has to try out for something? I have no idea. My mom tried to get me to join all kinds of stuff as a kid like Girl Scouts which I quit once I realized we didn't get to eat the cookies and it was nothing like Troop Beverly Hills . Nary a fashion show to be seen! Karate didn't pan out either because I assumed it meant I would be kicking ass and taking names after three classes.

By the time jr high/ middle school came around I was DONE.

• Like 2