đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Meehn

Son of the Mask (2005)

Haven't seen the whole thing, but what I HAVE seen on YouTube is just a hot, steamy pile of garbage. Alan Cumming is in it...

The blockbuster sequel staring the legendary Jamie Kennedy that nobody wanted. Guys, HOW HAVE WE NOT TALKED ABOUT SON OF THE MASK?!?!?!?! This movie is fucking insane.

• Like 1

An entire episode could be devoted to ill-advised Jim Carrey-less sequels/prequels to Jim Carrey films! "Son of the Mask"! "Dumb and Dumberer"! Whatever that fucking straight-to-video kid "Ace Ventura" thing was!

• Like 3

When you approach Jim Carrey and even he feels your movie is too stupid for him to make, it's time to let the project die.

• Like 6

I'm reviving this topic.

Guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2xOPVVwL_c

Pay special attention to how much difficulty Jamie Kennedy seems to have lip-synching in those prosthetics.

Edit:

, for good measure.

Things to note:

• - "From the director of Cats & Dogs!"
  • - CGI dog versus CGI baby
  • - bright, colorful Cat in the Hat-like production design
  • - "Introducing Otis as Otis!"
  • - that the crux of this movie relies on the Mask version of Jamie Kennedy essentially taking advantage of Kennedy's wife and conceiving a CGI hellspawn child demon
  • - the critical reaction to this movie inspired Kennedy to create the documentary 'Heckler', which according to Wikipedia, starts out as an examination of hecklers at stage shows before segueing into an argument against all film criticism, suggesting that professional critics use negative reviews to work through their failed artistic ambitions. Here's Splitsider's write-up.

Shit, for a brief second I thought you guys were talking about a sequel to Mask.

3MFMiH9.jpg

• Like 2

That is a supercut of weird moments from the movie. I honestly can say I have never seen this but it looks promising. It also reminds me that they need to do the Cat in the Hat, which is totally bizarre as well

• Like 1

Oh dear God this thing exists. I was flipping through channels one time and came across this little gem on cable. Because the universe has some sort of vendetta against me or something (it's a thing), the first frame I see is Alan Cummings dressed up like a girl scout. Nobody should ever have to experience that. Nobody.

• Like 2

Oh dear God this thing exists. I was flipping through channels one time and came across this little gem on cable. Because the universe has some sort of vendetta against me or something (it's a thing), the first thing I see is Alan Cummings dressed up like a girl scout. Nobody should ever have to experience that. Nobody.

NOBODY!

6% on Rotten Tomatoes? That's VERY generous. I just caught "Son of the Mask" on cable, a film so horrible I couldn't turn away (just like a train wreck). Fortunately I only tuned in halfway through so my night wasn't totally ruined

This is a bizarre film, which is shot in the style of those crazy Tex Avery cartoons (or the opening of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"), but with none of the wit. There are many questions posed by "Son of the Mask", including (1) when the baby copies Michigan J. Frog singing "Hello My Baby", where does the music come from? and (2) How did this get made?

I tried watching this today since it's on HBOGO and it is almost unwatchable. Talk about a horrendous. The weird cgi is at least kind of interesting. I don't really understand the helmet hair when he has the mask on.

• Like 3

Ok... I just happened across the most fucked up person on the internet and felt I had to share it. This seemed like the most appropriately related place to put this.

http://onemaskfitsall.deviantart.com/gallery/

This sick bastard has been altering famous womens' photos for 3 years in the exact same way: making their faces green like the mask... I'm completely dumbfounded by this. Please, enjoy responsibly.

• Like 1

About 8 years ago when my daughter was 6, her mom recorded this for her and for about 6 or 7 months she would watch it several times a week. Words can not express how deeply I hate this movie. I need them to do this as an episode simply because I feel it would be therapeutic for me, and I can finally come to terms with what I saw. 

On 7/10/2013 at 9:21 AM, RobM said:

• - the critical reaction to this movie inspired Kennedy to create the documentary 'Heckler', which according to Wikipedia, starts out as an examination of hecklers at stage shows before segueing into an argument against all film criticism, suggesting that professional critics use negative reviews to work through their failed artistic ambitions. Here's Splitsider's write-up.

I bought Heckler from a used DVD rack because the box promised to be a great docu about stage hecklers, as it was for about 20 minutes. Then suddenly Kennedy goes “You know who’s just like hecklers? MOVIE CRITICS!” Then it takes a hard turn and the rest of the movie is him crying that no one liked Som of the Mask.

I won’t threadjack too much about it, but it can’t even keep from constantly contradicting itself. Suffice to say that when it came time to move, the box for my DVDs was one slot too small and this one lost out to a pirated copy of Borat that I have never watched.

• Like 1

Heckler is made all the more amazing by that sudden shift in tone. It goes from a run of the mill collection of comedians making obvious statements about how annoying it is when some drunk asshole yells at them onstage to basically Jamie Kennedy lamenting about how terrible his career is going. 

Did Jamie Kennedy really think he could meet Jim Carrey level expectations in this movie? 

BUMP for my own selfish reason of wanting to see a Jamie Kennedy themed LIVE show