🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 183.5 - Minisode 183.5

S2 of Jessica Jones was disappointing on several levels for me.

Finishing the last episode. It's an okay season, but compared to the first season it's not even in the same ballpark.

You're both wrong.

But I understand the arguments that y'all both brought up, but in my opinion that's why this season works for me. I can forgive the multiple story arcs that don't appear to go anywhere because they do for those specific characters. Like at first I too was a little disappointed that Jeri's charlatans didn't actually have anything further to give to the main plot but watching Jeri get developed in going through those emotions of dying, thinking she can be cured, and having all of that taken away was interesting to watch. I think a lot of people expect these people to be better than they are and Jeri has always, since day 1, been a person that only does things that benefit herself. She may appear to be charitable in some cases but never once has she done anything that she couldn't also get something out of. So every bad decision she makes absolutely makes sense to her character.

And while I'm also not particularly happy they've broken apart the relationship of Trish and Jess, it also makes sense. Trish is not only an addict but she's incredibly insecure that she can't help her sister other than standing off to the side with a gun. She didn't know that Jessica had it under control because all she could hear was grunts and punches. So what does she do? She uses the inhaler because her mind wasn't thinking straight. Lack of communication is a terrible trope that I wish TV shows would stop using because there were hundreds of times where if any of the three were to sit down and talk to each other then things would have gone a little smoother, but on the other hand it's understandable that Trish and Jessica don't always feel like they can talk to each other because they both overreact so heavily when it comes to certain things.

What I find the most interesting is how they played onto Trish's hypocrisy when it comes to moms. All she could see when it comes to Alisa is that she was a mass murderer that could kill even Jessica if she wanted to. Jessica saw a nuanced person that had been through tragedy after tragedy and had been giving these powers without consent. But you turn your eyes to Dorothy and she would literally let her child die if it meant that they would be given a mass amount of press. There's absolutely no maternal instincts there and yet Trish goes back to her time and time again, which Jessica and the detective passively point out to her.

Which to me makes me think that Alisa wasn't actually the main villain of this story. Trish was.

Also don't understand disliking Oscar. He's precious and I think he's good for Jess.

OH and also Trish briefly mentions not wanting to name the four Defenders at the beginning for their privacy so that places this after The Defenders.

I want June to do the "I want" speech (ugh that I just had to type out because everyone has only ever heard of this movie, nobody has ever actually seen it).

What the fuck is going on? What the fuck is going on??? All my life, I've been careful to stay in my own corner. Lookin out for #1. No complications. Now suddenly, I'm responsible for the ENTIRE FUCKIN WORLD! And everyone and his mother is trying to kill me. If - if - my head doesn't blow up first.

(Off camera: Maybe it's not just about you anymore)

Listen - you listen to me. You see that city over there? That's where I'm supposed to be. Not down here with the dogs, and the garbage, and the fucking last month's newspapers blowing back and forth! I've had it with them! I've had it with you. I've had it with ALL this....

I WANT ROOM SERVICE!

I want the club sandwich. I want the cold Mexican beer. I want a $10k a night hooker! I want my shirts laundered.....like they do....at the Imperial Hotel....in Tokyo.

(and scene)

• Like 3

You're both wrong.

But I understand the arguments that y'all both brought up, but in my opinion that's why this season works for me. I can forgive the multiple story arcs that don't appear to go anywhere because they do for those specific characters. Like at first I too was a little disappointed that Jeri's charlatans didn't actually have anything further to give to the main plot but watching Jeri get developed in going through those emotions of dying, thinking she can be cured, and having all of that taken away was interesting to watch. I think a lot of people expect these people to be better than they are and Jeri has always, since day 1, been a person that only does things that benefit herself. She may appear to be charitable in some cases but never once has she done anything that she couldn't also get something out of. So every bad decision she makes absolutely makes sense to her character.

And while I'm also not particularly happy they've broken apart the relationship of Trish and Jess, it also makes sense. Trish is not only an addict but she's incredibly insecure that she can't help her sister other than standing off to the side with a gun. She didn't know that Jessica had it under control because all she could hear was grunts and punches. So what does she do? She uses the inhaler because her mind wasn't thinking straight. Lack of communication is a terrible trope that I wish TV shows would stop using because there were hundreds of times where if any of the three were to sit down and talk to each other then things would have gone a little smoother, but on the other hand it's understandable that Trish and Jessica don't always feel like they can talk to each other because they both overreact so heavily when it comes to certain things.

What I find the most interesting is how they played onto Trish's hypocrisy when it comes to moms. All she could see when it comes to Alisa is that she was a mass murderer that could kill even Jessica if she wanted to. Jessica saw a nuanced person that had been through tragedy after tragedy and had been giving these powers without consent. But you turn your eyes to Dorothy and she would literally let her child die if it meant that they would be given a mass amount of press. There's absolutely no maternal instincts there and yet Trish goes back to her time and time again, which Jessica and the detective passively point out to her.

Which to me makes me think that Alisa wasn't actually the main villain of this story. Trish was.

Also don't understand disliking Oscar. He's precious and I think he's good for Jess.

OH and also Trish briefly mentions not wanting to name the four Defenders at the beginning for their privacy so that places this after The Defenders.

I never minded Oscar personally,

other than any romance between anyone but her and Luke Cage just seems like a waste of time.

Trish was definitely a villain this season. But to me this season was all about showing how everyone was essentially the villain this season.

From Trish and every insane terrible decision she made, culminating in executing her best friends mother. I get that they were trying to make it seem like Trish felt justified. I just really feel like the writers were doing her character any favors in the last ten minutes of the season finale. Her reaction and subsequent bewildered response to Jessica being furious with her was absolutely insane to watch. Even more so when they ended the scene with some light-hearted nonsense where she catches a phone on her foot. Its also annoying to me because it feels like she's getting rewarded for a seasons worth of awful, terrible decisions.

Malcolm also had a few shady moments, the plot involving him essentially gay-shaming a closeted man and using his fear to blackmail him into giving incriminating evidence against the other partner was not particularly a winner for me.

Alisa was a much more fascinating character to me in that her violent outbursts and paranoia are due to the experiments done to her by Dr. Karl. So the argument of what to do with someone who has the strength that she does combined with her mental issues even though she does show a genuine concern in trying to rehabilitate herself is much more interesting than its conclusion. Which was Trish shooting her in the head, and being stunned that Jessica was bummed about that.

Pryce Cheng was an awful character all around. The fact that it looks like he's sticking around for another season is a bit of a bummer.

Dr. Karl was another much more compelling villain to me. Theres no doubt that his ethics are questionable to say the least, but he really does come across as someone who was trying to save peoples lives despite that. I would have liked to see him stick around as a character and who knows maybe he will, they didnt actually show him killing himself.

I did really like Krysten Ritter's performance and arc throughout the season. She's fantastic as Jessica Jones, and I didnt question her making some bad choices to try and aid her mother despite knowing everything she'd done. She had to believe that her mother wasn't some nonredeemable monster because she worries that not only that is going to be a moniker that follows her but eventually her fate.

other than any romance between anyone but her and Luke Cage just seems like a waste of time.

Trish was definitely a villain this season. But to me this season was all about showing how everyone was essentially the villain this season.

From Trish and every insane terrible decision she made, culminating in executing her best friends mother. I get that they were trying to make it seem like Trish felt justified. I just really feel like the writers were doing her character any favors in the last ten minutes of the season finale. Her reaction and subsequent bewildered response to Jessica being furious with her was absolutely insane to watch. Even more so when they ended the scene with some light-hearted nonsense where she catches a phone on her foot. Its also annoying to me because it feels like she's getting rewarded for a seasons worth of awful, terrible decisions.

Malcolm also had a few shady moments, the plot involving him essentially gay-shaming a closeted man and using his fear to blackmail him into giving incriminating evidence against the other partner was not particularly a winner for me.

Alisa was a much more fascinating character to me in that her violent outbursts and paranoia are due to the experiments done to her by Dr. Karl. So the argument of what to do with someone who has the strength that she does combined with her mental issues even though she does show a genuine concern in trying to rehabilitate herself is much more interesting than its conclusion. Which was Trish shooting her in the head, and being stunned that Jessica was bummed about that.

Pryce Cheng was an awful character all around. The fact that it looks like he's sticking around for another season is a bit of a bummer.

Dr. Karl was another much more compelling villain to me. Theres no doubt that his ethics are questionable to say the least, but he really does come across as someone who was trying to save peoples lives despite that. I would have liked to see him stick around as a character and who knows maybe he will, they didnt actually show him killing himself.

I did really like Krysten Ritter's performance and arc throughout the season. She's fantastic as Jessica Jones, and I didnt question her making some bad choices to try and aid her mother despite knowing everything she'd done. She had to believe that her mother wasn't some nonredeemable monster because she worries that not only that is going to be a moniker that follows her but eventually her fate.

I like the actor playing Pryce in other things, but this character is grating to say the least, similar to Foggy's ex from the first season of Daredevil, so it makes it hard to watch when he's on-screen. Oscar was good as the series progressed and made him less of a hypocritical bigot to a guy with layers that Jessica and the audience could relate to. The whole final kill scene with Trish also made me cock my head mainly because it seemed like a shooting screw up by the crew as the angles and where she was standing was very magic bullet-esque. Trish's mom might be the greatest Marvel villain in the MCU as the woman is completely without morals or remorse, to the point I'd think Loki would say "jeez slow it down lady." I was hoping for so many times in this season for Jessica to punch her, but was glad to see Trish get a slap in.

I found the parental dynamics interesting in this season as I have dealt with some of these issues in my own life with various members of my family, though not to the extent of them being crazy stage parents or mass murderers. I get wanting to have that familial love and acceptance but there is a limit to what is acceptable, which I think both Trish and Jessica flew past without a second thought. For Trish, her mom was every kind of abusive you could be and yet, Trish never returned to what it was in the first season where her mother wasn't allowed anywhere close to where she could harm her. For Jessica, I get the conflicted feelings she had as she didn't want to see her mother put down like a dog, but she would bounce from trying to kill her herself to trying to get them out of the country. This was after finding out that her mom had killed the man she was in a serious relationship with and then tried to murder her sister right in front of her, even using Jessica's own body as a weapon to strangle Trish with.

I missed the Defender reference, so it's good to know where this falls in the timeline, but it makes the potential relationship with Luke Cage interesting as that is one of the best couplings in comics. Also, not only were the wigs crazy, but every single one of Karl's band shirts made me want to scratch my eyes out because it was so cliche for a "save the world" scientist with a ponytail to of course wear nothing but classic stoner band shirts.

I will admit that I didn't really like Cheng either

but I'm not sure what else they could have done with him. He clearly had an issue with Jessica Jones the minute she said she wouldn't work with him so at that point his entire story line became taking her out in one way or another. I'm hoping that we'll get a deeper look into him within more seasons like we have this season with Malcolm and Jeri.

I didn't get the sense that Malcolm was really shaming him for being gay at all but yeah using the fact that he is in the closet to get info seems iffy, but considering he was using company funds to pay for his own outings and the fact that the is pushing Jeri out of her own company is also iffy. In my opinion no one has the moral high ground but that's not why I would say everyone is a villain, just rather why everyone is complicated. They all make bad decisions because humans make bad decisions and that's why I like this show. There's no clean cut black and white situation anywhere.

Yeah Krysten knocked it out of the fuckin park this season. Episode 10 and 11 particularly are a masterclass in acting. She's just perfected that badass vulnerability and that whole episode where she's just going insane had my hands gripping the sides of my face lol.

I like the actor playing Pryce in other things, but this character is grating to say the least, similar to Foggy's ex from the first season of Daredevil, so it makes it hard to watch when he's on-screen. Oscar was good as the series progressed and made him less of a hypocritical bigot to a guy with layers that Jessica and the audience could relate to. The whole final kill scene with Trish also made me cock my head mainly because it seemed like a shooting screw up by the crew as the angles and where she was standing was very magic bullet-esque. Trish's mom might be the greatest Marvel villain in the MCU as the woman is completely without morals or remorse, to the point I'd think Loki would say "jeez slow it down lady." I was hoping for so many times in this season for Jessica to punch her, but was glad to see Trish get a slap in.

I found the parental dynamics interesting in this season as I have dealt with some of these issues in my own life with various members of my family, though not to the extent of them being crazy stage parents or mass murderers. I get wanting to have that familial love and acceptance but there is a limit to what is acceptable, which I think both Trish and Jessica flew past without a second thought. For Trish, her mom was every kind of abusive you could be and yet, Trish never returned to what it was in the first season where her mother wasn't allowed anywhere close to where she could harm her. For Jessica, I get the conflicted feelings she had as she didn't want to see her mother put down like a dog, but she would bounce from trying to kill her herself to trying to get them out of the country. This was after finding out that her mom had killed the man she was in a serious relationship with and then tried to murder her sister right in front of her, even using Jessica's own body as a weapon to strangle Trish with.

I missed the Defender reference, so it's good to know where this falls in the timeline, but it makes the potential relationship with Luke Cage interesting as that is one of the best couplings in comics. Also, not only were the wigs crazy, but every single one of Karl's band shirts made me want to scratch my eyes out because it was so cliche for a "save the world" scientist with a ponytail to of course wear nothing but classic stoner band shirts.

The thing with Trish's mom is why I believe that Jess is actually a better person than Trish is. Because there were plenty of times when Jessica actually had a lot of right to punch Dorothy's face in but she didn't because 1. That's not okay and 2. That's Trish's mom, and we learned that Jessica was always jealous that Trish in fact had a mother. She may not have murdered multiple people but she did pimp out her underage daughter to a creep that molested her and then joined in with everyone that blamed Trish. That's pretty unforgivable, but even with all that I still can see why Trish goes back to her. I really do. It doesn't matter how many times she crossed that line Trish still feels dependent on her and that takes more than rehab to cure. Even when she slapped her Trish felt immediately guilty and tried to make it right, which shows some deep deep manipulation by Dorothy.

And with Jessica and Alisa, it literally all falls back to the fact that she just wanted her mom. Plus we add in that fact that Jessica thought she was a monster as well. So many of her addictions and coping mechanisms were spawned from the fact that she believed she didn't deserve powers and that she was too much of a monster to use them properly. It does get a little frustrating watching her go back and forth between "she has to die" and "no she's my mom I love her" but the last one where she legit was gonna do it but hesitated (because she's a better person than Trish) and realizing "oh hey I can actually make my mom a better person and stop her from killing people" was the more interesting aspect to watch in that relationship.

Why I think I'm more forgiving of these moments is because Mother-Daughter relationships are heavily complicated even without super powers or being an abusive stage mom. Lady Bird shows that you can hate your mom one moment and y'all can be laughing together the next. That's what I think Jessica Jones captures very well. There's nuance to everything and part of me thinks people expect this show to be a typical Marvel "this is what's good and bad" kinda property but it's very much out of the norm from what they typically make. Even when compared to its fellow Netflix shows. (Not saying y'all are doing that specifically but it seems to be a general consensus.)

Luke/Jessica is one of my favorite couples in all of Marvel so I'm also very excited to see how they finally get together but dang I love Oscar and I think he's very good for her. What's funny to me is that I've seen so many people online be like "uhm what about Luke why are they doing this" when Luke has been with Claire since his solo show??? Like why are people so hard on Jessica for dating someone else when literally no one gave a shit that Luke and Claire have been in a relationship together through Luke Cage and The Defenders???

So every time they said the word "fax" in Johnny Mneumonic I audibly groaned.

I laughed when the talk of how big the brain-hard drives were at 80GB, but could be doubled to 160, my old PS3 literally dwarfs the capacity that they felt a brain could withhold in the mid-90s.

• Like 2

I laughed when the talk of how big the brain-hard drives were at 80GB, but could be doubled to 160, my old PS3 literally dwarfs the capacity that they felt a brain could withhold in the mid-90s.

I read the short story and Johnny is carrying "hundreds of megabytes".

• Like 2

It was the worst! I could only keep my save files for like three days, tops. Just leaking data everywhere.

• Like 1