Episode 146 - Punch-Drunk Love (w/ Emily Yoshida)

21 replies to this topic

Poll: Episode 146 - Punch-Drunk Love (w/ Emily Yoshida) (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Should "Punch-Drunk Love" enter The Canon?

1. Yes (33 votes [68.75%])

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

2. No (15 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 davidpatricklowery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:48 PM

I didn't rewatch PDL for this episode because I had seen it not too long ago when Criterion put it out, and it keeps getting better and better (and more and more interesting) for me. So it's an immediate yes for me, for reasons largely laid out in posts above - BUT that being said it's been nice to hear PTA's work be interrogated, both in this and the vs. episode. He's been such a beloved fixture of my cinematic life for so long that it's easy to take my affection for granted. This has been helpful.

Also, in case anyone doubts that PTA actually COULD make a stupid Adam Sandler comedy, don't forget about this short film they made a few years after PDL:

#22 sunjockey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:24 AM

I give it a big yes. It's a film that is as much about intuitive feelings and the strangeness of love rather than the reality of it. The characters are very much drawn in ways that are sometimes goofy or cartoonish or contradictory to real, rational people, but they are not meant to be grounded realistic people so much as they are avatars of the archetypes of big sweeping romantic characters. They also manage to undercut those archetypes through comedy and surprising moments of humanity. The film look mixed with the themes and tone and characters all just work for me. It's one of those movies that gives you permission to do something crazy and irrational like run away with it and fall in love.

I also think t's a romance movie for people who don't love romance movies. I usually can't stand them, but this one just makes the whole notion of fairy tale-like love stories work for me.