🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
i'll hold the mike

How Did this Get Graphed?: The HDTGM Infographic Project

What were the most and least profitable films covered on the podcast?

Who has been the most frequent co-host?

Have there been more live podcasts, or studio recordings?

The answers to these and 5 other questions can be found at a new website: How Did this Get Graphed? This new project is an attempt to graph out as much HDTGM data as possible, using freely available data about the movies and the podcast episodes, with as little human intervention necessary (only to correct issues like obvious inaccuracies in data).

This site was inspired by the discussion at the end of Ladybugs about which years have produced the most HDTGM movies. In an attempt to answer the question (and before I saw grudlian.'s work on this very question in the discussion topic) I cobbled together some code to pull data from various sources and display it in graph form.

I've put together 9 graphs on the movies, stars, and co-hosts of the podcast, and some basic smoke tests to confirm that it works on Chrome, Firefox, and IE (not yet tested on Macs). If you are interested in reviewing the site and offering your additions, improvements, or bug reports, then I invite you to check the site out:

http://hdtgm.info/

Together we can answer questions that nobody wants answered!

(feel the heat)

• Like 10

looks cool. i've been keeping track of a lot of these stats for the howdies. i take my figures from wikipedia and as with the previous discussion about the years, i have a few differences. mainly the most profitable and loss-making. i'm thinking these arise from where we get our data.

according to wikipedia bloodsport cost around 2 million but took 65 million. which makes a profit of about 3150% (looking at some other figures sleepaway camp also has a profit of over 3000%)

we have a lot of differences in the most loss-making though ... my notes have gooby at the worst costing 6.5 million and only taking 3234 ... but i'd imagine it's harder to get good numbers on such crap movies. the room is another almost 100% loss making movie but that is based on the initial box office. i'd imagine it's made alot more in recent times.

i'm not going through the years again but just a quick look back at the discussion in the ladybugs thread we seem to be pretty much the same.

our genres differ slightly. i take mine from imdb tags. here's my top five:

action: 93

comedy: 67

sci-fi: 44

drama: 43 adventure: 43

crime: 37

i'm open to correction on all these though. again it's pretty much dependant on where you get your info v's where i get mine. i shoud really go back over everything because i fill in my sheets as the mini's air and info changes over time. i've been doing it since before howdies 1 so i'm sure i need a good update by now but time is against me these days.

great site though. i have no idea how you did it but it looks way better than a spreadsheet. i'm not here as much anymore so i think it's time for someone new to take over anyway and if you can keep it updated they could use it for the next howdies ... i'll just keep mine for my own use.

great work jima!

• Like 1

I have definitely noticed, as your site points out, the large grouping of 90s movies that HDTGM has covered. Do you think this is a generational thing? That people between the ages of 20ish and 40ish, the demographic for listeners to this podcast and the people creating it, just remember those movies from their childhood more easily? Is there something about the 90s that makes the movies produced in that decade more conducive to mockery now? I have NERD QUESTIONS!

Great work, all around!

• Like 1

Wait how is The Room the least profitable since it had a announced budget of 6 million but has turned quite a profit according to Wiseau and Sestero? Also, feel free to use my listing of Rotten Tomato scores and number of Oscar winners/nominees featured in HDTGM films.

Wait how is The Room the least profitable since it had a announced budget of 6 million but has turned quite a profit according to Wiseau and Sestero? Also, feel free to use my listing of Rotten Tomato scores and number of Oscar winners/nominees featured in HDTGM films.

the room is another almost 100% loss making movie but that is based on the initial box office. i'd imagine it's made alot more in recent times.

Shouldn't that be included though as there are theatrical earnings from the midnight showings though?

Shouldn't that be included though as there are theatrical earnings from the midnight showings though?

maybe officially but it's hard to get up to date info for re-releases etc. there's plenty of special screenings of loads of old movies but none of them are updated either. too small a market

maybe officially but it's hard to get up to date info for re-releases etc. there's plenty of special screenings of loads of old movies but none of them are updated either. too small a market

But they've been able to do it for previous midnight favorites like Rocky Horror Picture Show, and with how much The Room website gets updates with officially licensed showings, there should at least be a partial record of its earnings, especially in the age of ordering tickets online and other advancements theaters have made since Rocky Horror came out.

i just think after a period of time those who keep track of these things move on. there are too many movies. i don't really believe any of the box office figures pre computerisation are accurate anyway and even once it kicked in it wasn't world wide so who knows.

that's another reason for a lot of our differences i'd say. i'm from outside the US so i took the global box office where available. for a lot of the movies covered over the years, there isn't any box office info at all.

but as everything becomes more connected the figures will become more accurate. but not for old movies. there's just no point. collecting and keeping the records would probably cost more than the movies make from screenings.

and there is another possible reason ... the amount of times a movie can change ownership is crazy. i was watching this video about it's a wonderful life and it's copyright .. i don't know how they keep track of who owns what. we see similar discussions with Disney buying up everything or the Weinstein company selling everything off. the amount of "swapping" of movie catalogues is worth a study in itself.

• Like 1

The obvious next thing to graph would be their Rotten Tomatoes scores. There’s a whole thread of almost nothing but that.

i just think after a period of time those who keep track of these things move on. there are too many movies. i don't really believe any of the box office figures pre computerisation are accurate anyway and even once it kicked in it wasn't world wide so who knows.

that's another reason for a lot of our differences i'd say. i'm from outside the US so i took the global box office where available. for a lot of the movies covered over the years, there isn't any box office info at all.

but as everything becomes more connected the figures will become more accurate. but not for old movies. there's just no point. collecting and keeping the records would probably cost more than the movies make from screenings.

and there is another possible reason ... the amount of times a movie can change ownership is crazy. i was watching this video about it's a wonderful life and it's copyright .. i don't know how they keep track of who owns what. we see similar discussions with Disney buying up everything or the Weinstein company selling everything off. the amount of "swapping" of movie catalogues is worth a study in itself.

Great video, thank you for sharing! Being the Comic Book Dork that I am, I am just aware of similar copyright shenanigans that have gone on with superheroes, even Superman. The battle over the name "Captain Marvel" might be the silliest....

For people who don't look at the front page:

UPDATE: We're trying this thing again tomorrow!!! So the forums may be down all day.

cross your fingers for us

So...get your nonsense out now. :)

• Like 1

rFKL5Zx.gif

I meant to post that in the main thread -- lol.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this