🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 184.5 - Minisode 184.5

I've always been curious how much Paul, or the interns, actually even read the recommendations section. I know Paul has asked here for suggestions but there are hundreds of posts in the recommended movies.

I know Paul had said things like "people have said for years to do this movie" but does anyone know how much is from the recommendations threads. I'd assume, at this point, Paul gets recommendations every day in person, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

I've never thought of the Recommendations section as a place where they actually pull recommendations. I've always seen it as more for the fans. Like, they know they can't cover everything so at least you can go there and talk about it if you want. For example, Paul has said they will never cover Southland Tales, but nothing is stopping US from talking about it. At best, I think that they *might* take a look at a thread after a movie is chosen, but I seriously doubt anyone is actively combing through that section looking for their next movie.

I think, if I'm remembering correctly, Paul said he has his own list. He then has Nate and Avryl watch a couple and get back to him as to whether or not they would be good for the show.

I have no idea where I heard this. And If it was the way they did it, I'm not sure if this is still how they do it. This would have been a few years ago now, but I feel like Paul told us that on the forums at one point - maybe around the time some of us were worried that the movies being picked we're being dictated by Blake's articles (I.e. less big budget, "New" movies, and more Cannon-grade garbage, would make it easier for Blake to score interviews).

Paul came on the boards and made us all feel really sorry about ourselves and banned us from all from engaging in further conspiracy theories - even the ones about chemtrails and lizard people!

• Like 5

I always assumed they never read the recommendations. Maybe very early but there are way too many for anyone to realistically keep up with. They do 26 movies a year and there are over 1000 recommendation threads.

But, now for the real reason I'm posting: my lifelong research into linking how lizard people created chemtrails had finally come to fruition and I've got conclusive evidence proving it...

Paul came on the boards and made us all feel really sorry about ourselves and banned us from all from engaging in further conspiracy theories - even the ones about chemtrails and lizard people!

oh, uhhh, never mind I guess

• Like 5

Okay am I going crazy from lack of sleep or is Ben Mendelsohn using a pulled back version of his normal accent? I swear he sounds nothing like he did in Animal Kingdom and more like he did when he played an American junkie in Killing Them Softly.

Arrrgh! This is going to bother me now! I keep thinking it's Brian Posehn and Cobra, but if I remember correctly, that was a situation where Paul gave him options and he just happened to already own the movie.

But there was definitely someone more recently. I seem to remember Jason giving them shit about it. Like, "I want to know why you thought we needed to see this?"

Starlee Kine asked to do The Lake House!

• Like 7

Drew McWeeny gave a list of what films he wanted to do and Toys was chosen, which Jason gave him a big 'fuck you' for.

A View to a Kill was done since it timed perfectly with the James Bonding podcast.

Robert Kirkman asked for Gamer.

I think Anna Faris asked for Grease 2.

• Like 7

YES! This is the one I was thinking of!

thank-you-spice.gif

• Like 4

i always thought, at least for the last year or so, that it was more the interns picking the movies and every now and then paul would pick one or, like the above examples, the guest or friends would suggest one. maybe the interns go through the recommendations sections and pick a few to suggest to paul. whichever way i definitely think it's a collaborative thing. one person can have only so much knowledge of crappy movies.

side note ... anyone see the new earwolf la offices? ...very fancy ... the paywall is working out by the looks of things. [click on their stories on their instagram] . it got me thinking. i don't actually know a whole lot about earwolf. how many offices/studios do they have? looking at all the office space it must be a pretty big operation at this stage. and there are a lot more people working there than i thought.

i'm going to ask a question that has nothing to do with movies but how do internships work there? we don't have interns here but i've alway heard about interns on tv and stuff. what i'm asking is do kids go through college and then do a few years of an internship? or is it instead of college? do they get paid? .. that kind of thing. it seems to be a very common program (at least in the entertainment industry) but i know little of it other than it exists.

• Like 2

i always thought, at least for the last year or so, that it was more the interns picking the movies and every now and then paul would pick one or, like the above examples, the guest or friends would suggest one. maybe the interns go through the recommendations sections and pick a few to suggest to paul. whichever way i definitely think it's a collaborative thing. one person can have only so much knowledge of crappy movies.

side note ... anyone see the new earwolf la offices? ...very fancy ... the paywall is working out by the looks of things. [click on their stories on their instagram] . it got me thinking. i don't actually know a whole lot about earwolf. how many offices/studios do they have? looking at all the office space it must be a pretty big operation at this stage. and there are a lot more people working there than i thought.

i'm going to ask a question that has nothing to do with movies but how do internships work there? we don't have interns here but i've alway heard about interns on tv and stuff. what i'm asking is do kids go through college and then do a few years of an internship? or is it instead of college? do they get paid? .. that kind of thing. it seems to be a very common program (at least in the entertainment industry) but i know little of it other than it exists.

Honestly, it depends on the internship, but most are unpaid. Generally, your “salary” is the experience you gain on the job, and since internships are usually reserved for jobs in highly competitive fields, the opportunity to get your foot in the door. It’s a way to both network and circumvent the dreaded “you say you need someone who has experience, but how do I gain experience if you don’t hire me” ouroboros.

It can be frustrating though. Internships in and of themselves can be competitive. Plus, if it’s unpaid, you have to have a means to support yourself. For instance, I was offered a publishing internship back in college, but I had to turn it down because I was already going to school full-time while working a full-time job. I still regret having to turn it down, but at the time, I didn’t really have another option.

• Like 3

Yeah, that's a movie that I thought was supposed to be good. But it's 32% on Rotten Tomatoes, so maybe not.

"Critics Consensus: Naomi Watts and Robin Wright give it their all, but they can't quite make Adore's trashy, absurd plot believable."

I'm just wondering if it'll be a studio episode for a change. I miss the studio episodes.

Didn't Paul say in one of the minisodes that he'll have the interns watch some of the suggestions to see if it's worth covering? I'm sure he gets so many suggestions, that unless it's a trusted friend or Jason recommending Gods Of Egypt, that he doesn't have time to watch them, do the podcast and just live his regular life. Especially if it's something like Johnny Mnemonic where he saw it and liked it as a kid, I'm sure he just says to let the intern do it to confirm he's not wasting his time.

Yeah, that's a movie that I thought was supposed to be good. But it's 32% on Rotten Tomatoes, so maybe not.

"Critics Consensus: Naomi Watts and Robin Wright give it their all, but they can't quite make Adore's trashy, absurd plot believable."

I'm just wondering if it'll be a studio episode for a change. I miss the studio episodes.

Poor Naomi Watts. She's such a good actress and she gets so many bad movies. Seeing her name in the cast is typically a sign to avoid a movie anymore.

Poor Naomi Watts. She's such a good actress and she gets so many bad movies. Seeing her name in the cast is typically a sign to avoid a movie anymore.

Im looking forward to watching Book of Henry though

• Like 1

Honestly, it depends on the internship, but most are unpaid. Generally, your “salary” is the experience you gain on the job, and since internships are usually reserved for jobs in highly competitive fields, the opportunity to get your foot in the door. It’s a way to both network and circumvent the dreaded “you say you need someone who has experience, but how do I gain experience if you don’t hire me” ouroboros.

It can be frustrating though. Internships in and of themselves can be competitive. Plus, if it’s unpaid, you have to have a means to support yourself. For instance, I was offered a publishing internship back in college, but I had to turn it down because I was already going to school full-time while working a full-time job. I still regret having to turn it down, but at the time, I didn’t really have another option.

yeah, i don't like that working for nothing business. i mean i get that it's experience but you have to pay someone if they work for you. i'm not saying you have to pay them a fortune but you should pay them enough so they can live. so they don't have to get a second job just to cover the bills. or borrow money ... if someone is helping you be more productive or are productive on their own then i think you have to pay them.

are they generally full time. as in 9 to 5 type hours. or are they more part time? you said you were offered one in college so that was part time? any part time job i had during college was paid. not a lot but something.

i'm sure most employers are great and look after their interns and the interns get great experience and maybe more importantly, they make amazing connections but there must be some people exploiting the system. i hope any employer who uses interns are monitored in some way.

i know this is different but the government here used a similar program unemployment got high here after the 2008 crash and it was a bit of a disaster. people on the dole were pretty much forced to take positions in companies to "gain experience" for 6 months ... employers just used it to get cheap labour. the program actually ended up costing people full time jobs. companies would bring people in for 6 months and then let them go and then bring another person in for a further 6 months and so on. so they'd actually have enough work within the company to justify hiring a full time employee but it was way cheaper to just bring in "interns" ... the government paid their wages, they didn't have to pay any taxes or contribute to pensions or health care ... win win for the company but the interns were left with nothing but "experience" at the end of it and then had to sign back on the dole ... needless to say that program is now gone.

there were alot of other problems with the scheme too but this is not the place. i was just wondering was your intern system the same. by the sounds of it its not. the interns actually benefit from the positions and the positions are in fields they are interested in. that's vey important.

and i would imagine an internship at a place like earwolf is incredibly sought after. i'd nearly apply for one myself only i'm way too old and you know ... 5000 miles away

• Like 3

For those of you who haven’t had the pleasure...

ben-affleck-back-tattoo-is-real.jpg

You know what, he should embrace this more. If it's not a deeply personal tattoo essentially meant for his eyes only, he should go all out, buy nothing but mesh tanks, write movies for himself where he's topless 93% of the time. Live it.

Anyway, I hope Rad does get an episode in the future. I love that movie. I had a study hall teacher Sophomore year that would play his personal VHS copy one Friday every month. No one asked him to, he just liked watching it, and he never played anything else or took requests. Just Rad. Only Rad.

• Like 2

I am going away next week so I guess I will post this here since I don't know when I will get to listen to the episode.

I haven't seen this movie but when I Googled it I was surprised to see it was bases on a short story by Doris Lessing. I have read this story! Why... Would they make this into a movie? Oh odd.

Anyway, I believe the backstory was that this had really happened somewhere in Australia and Lessing tried to write a kind of believable story around it (the kind Nobel prize winners write, not a Nicholas Sparks nonsense).

I'm going to try to dig it up because honest I don't remember many of the details.

• Like 2

I have a sneaky suspicion this is gonna be like Across the Universe and I'm gonna be the one person to love a movie everyone else hates...

• Like 6

I have a sneaky suspicion this is gonna be like Across the Universe and I'm gonna be the one person to love a movie everyone else hates...

giphy.gif

I still love you, though.

• Like 6

when they can't even figure out what to call the damn thing ... this movie has (at least) 4 names ... surely this must be added to the "signs of a bad movie" list

29fk0KQ.jpg

and ... is this real?

efqIiA4.png

please tell me mushlamot means momma in hedrew!

• Like 1

when they can't even figure out what to call the damn thing ... this movie has (at least) 4 names ... surely this must be added to the "signs of a bad movie" list

29fk0KQ.jpg

and ... is this real?

efqIiA4.png

please tell me mushlamot means momma in hedrew!

According to my translation app, imahot mushlamot means "perfect mothers".

I wonder how much of the different titles is just for different markets. Even though the titles are English, the rest of the text isn't. A lot of movies have different titles for different markets.

According to my translation app, imahot mushlamot means "perfect mothers".

I wonder how much of the different titles is just for different markets. Even though the titles are English, the rest of the text isn't. A lot of movies have different titles for different markets.

you're kinda threadin on my joke there grud ... but yeah .. i've mention this before. check out jason statham's hummingbird ... or redemption .. or crazy joy .. none of them help the movie .. it still sucked

Not Queen Of The Damned?

The day we do Queen of the Damned is the day my angsty tween (still unknown) bi self does the dance of joy.

Looking back I completely understand why I was so obsessed with this movie and it had everything to do with Aaliyah. Honestly it still does but I now also love the utter campy fun of it all.

• Like 3

A phoenix is just so on the nose, though. Like I just hear him talk about what he wants. "It's a phoenix. It's head held high. A cry of triumph on its beak. It's wings spread heroically on my back - rising from the ashes. And, do you want to know a secret? I'm that Phoenix."

PLUS it's just so bad! Like I have a badly done tattoo ( it's too high on my wrist and is thus very faded and has lots of little lines through it. Thankfully it's just words) . Still his looks like he got a buddy of his drunk and let him practice on his back.

• Like 1

I've always been curious how much Paul, or the interns, actually even read the recommendations section. I know Paul has asked here for suggestions but there are hundreds of posts in the recommended movies.

I know Paul had said things like "people have said for years to do this movie" but does anyone know how much is from the recommendations threads. I'd assume, at this point, Paul gets recommendations every day in person, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

I assume they get a ton but i don't know how many they take in. I feel like they probably know what they want to put themselves through and have like a set idea of what movies they will do and won't do.

I'm still shocked and sad we have never done Showgirls. It's really one of the best shitty movies of all time. The pool sex scene alone. I don't know which version is more bizarre original or the tv movie one which..how and why they thought it was a good idea to put THIS movie on tv ??? (thy had to cgi bras on Elizabeth Berkeley to show it on tv. I think if you have to CGI THINGS ON TO YOUR ACTRESS maybe just maybe this movie isn't for tv.)The only thing I hate is the awful party ending with the musician. (for the longest time I thought he was a magician). I legitimately cannot watch that scene. I think it might be too popular to do though.

• Like 2

I missed out on commenting on last week's episode ( I was trying to help a friend make her weird tiny church look somewhat decent for the pastor's new stepdaughter's sudden wedding. it was.... well it was. The groom's "witness" wore baggy jeans and a hoodie. He looked like he just rolled out of bed and was hungover.) but I really felt like I needed to express my deep seeded distrust of dolphins. I feel about dolphins as June feels about robots. They are Not To Be Trusted. There is a legit season every year where dolphins kill porpoise babies and play with the corpses. They are the rapists of the deep and are apparently riddled with STDS (which no judgement on people / animals with stds. Just on Dolphins ). Oh and worst of all THEY ARE SMART AND CAN GO DAYS WITHOUT SLEEPING.

i just... it had to be said. Also i don't know if anyone else mentioned that Dolphins get high in the wild by hitting blow fish with their snouts and getting pricked by their spines . Clearly Pufferfish is the gateway drug to heroin. I wouldn't be shocked if Jones was a drug dealer to all the other ocean life. Some poor beluga whale is out there in that world turning tricks at Future Seaworld to pay for his debilitating drug habit AND WE ALL KNOW WHO GOT HIM STARTED.

Thank you and I promise to shut up about dolphins forever now. Let me know if we ever do a movie about my mortal enemy Geese. You're all in for it then.

• Like 2

At least with Across the Universe you had CakeBug there to defend it with you. We miss you CakeBug.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this