🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

I don't know if there are any plans for a third series, but what artist would you have them cover next?

Seems to me, given their musical tastes and proclivity for forced worldplay, something along the lines of Scott & Scott Talk Talking Heads seems a natural fit.

Maybe the Smiths. This would be a band that Scott might like way more than Adam.

Yes, please! The Smiths would be a fantastic subject. Brilliant catalogue of music and Morrissey being such a problematic, larger-than-life character could lead to a lot of great bits. With only four studio albums, it'd be a short series. But the solo work from Morrissey and Johnny Marr is worth getting into too, or even Marr's albums while in Modest Mouse or The Cribs.

Also, Steely Dan comes up on CBB fairly often. Not sure if either Scott loves and knows them well enough for a podcast, but as a casual fan, I'd be interested in diving deeper into their discography.

• Like 2

Based on how much Scott and Scott seemed to enjoy talking about them a couple of months ago, my suggestion would be "Carryin' On 'Bout The Cars".

• Like 1

There has been a lot of Radiohead talk during the R.E.M. series. I could also see a limited series focusing on soundtracks, cast albums, or other compilations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm thinking Urinals and Trotsky Icepick.

Okay, okay, that's way too obscure.  Pere Ubu.  They should totally do Pere Ubu.

I'd be happy with them just cherry picking classic records/artists and talking about them for an episode (or two). Few bands are worthy of a full series, or could carry an audience's attention over several episodes (or the Scotts' attention either...) so this could be fun.

Radiohead seems like a natural fit. I would personally love Modest Mouse but I have no idea if either of them has any interest in that band. 

• Like 1

Yo La Tengo.

Obviously, Adam and Scott aren't going to do a series on a band they haven't listened to in their formative years, but if either or both of them are Yo La Tengo fans, it'd be a good choice.

• Like 1

While I would LOVE to hear a Radiohead series, I think the Smiths might be a nice small project to tackle for the next season. Plus, I love that idea about Scott being way more of a fanboy than Adam - switching up their dynamic would keep it fresh.

I'm thinking "You Wordsmithing about the Smiths to Me?"

On 8/19/2018 at 5:25 PM, Anonymous37 said:

I'm thinking Urinals and Trotsky Icepick.

Okay, okay, that's way too obscure.  Pere Ubu.  They should totally do Pere Ubu.

I'd listen to a Rocket from the Tombs series.  

But my personal vote would be Camper Van Beethoven. 

• Like 2

U Talkin' GBV to Me?

Guided By Voices has so much out there that this podcast could last well into the next decade.  Plus I think the comf bros would dig em seeing as how they were influenced by early REM.

• Like 1

Not to be a dick but most of you dicks missed the dicking point of them picking U2 and REM for the first two go-rounds, it's because they were the two bands Scott and Scott wore out the LP's and 8-tracks and cassettes and CD's and MP3 players you could say U2 and REM were the soundtrack of their formative years and at first I'd want to punch you for putting it in such garbage language but then I'd remember punching is not something I've ever done or know how to do and so I'd roundhouse kick you in the face instead for not saying it cool like this : you could say U2 and REM were the soundtrack of the years that were formative, wick-a-wick-a-slick-a-pick-a-wha-wha-wha-WU TANG CLAN BITCH, now that is something to remember for next time, always end on a scream and gang sign to make your point emphatically,  and if we are cool here I will walk on outta here and will keep my ninja foot off your jaw, assuming you read this note I dropped as I walk out the door:

"Whopper-Stopper, that's what my throat is

Wish it was bigger so I could get wit the burger biz

Quicker, sicker,  to get them down so I throw them back up

Don't judge my fetish bro, I bet you are one sick pup

Speaking of sick pups, I wish they'd do Ween for season 3 because I want to hear Scotty Aux cord plug in and blast Mr. Would You Please Help My Pony (New no-no: Ponies are puppies now) while special guests RZA and GZA do a freestyle about my lightning fast feet they heard about on the street rocked their world more than a hype sick dope beat, yo. Word.

Trying to think of an artist with an accessible enough catalog that would have possibly had a huge influence on both of their lives...

Radiohead seems like a strong choice, as mentioned many times.

How about Beck? 

Huge artist, digestible catalog and probably liked by the Scotts. They could name it WTH,B? - What the Heck, Beck?

And most likely not as influential to the Scotts, but a contender could be the Foo Fighters. Great songs, great rock and rolla music. And obviously...Are U Talking Foo To Me? 

• Like 1

Ok I’ve been keeping a running list, here’s my ideas, they’re all title based, so  not all (any?) of the topics might be interesting to the Scotts.  Nevertheless, here is the unabridged list so far:

Look. R U talkin Look Who’s Talking, Look Who’s Talking Too, and Look Who’s Talking Now? Now? 

Yo! R we talkin REO Speedwagon yo? Are we? Yo?

Wait John, wait. Am I missing something? I ain’t missing you, John Waite: a podcast. 

U tocking or ticking? Clock talk. What time is it?

U B wining about UB40.

Arrrr Matey! R ya talkin George R R Martin? Are ya?

Hey are u Tolkien JRR Tolkien?

R u smelling what the cook is rocking? Chefs who wear perfume

Alright who said we’re talkin’ Right Said Fred right now? Fred?

R u talking R2D2 too?

Tick talk. Time to talk about ticks. 

Nine Inch Nail clippings; clips of Nine Inch Nail songs

It’s very hard for me to separate out what I find interesting and like musically vs what I think would make a good Scott and Scott podcast.  I do not have the objective ability to focus strictly on the latter.  (I would like Scott and Scott to make a podcast about all of my favorite songs from all of my favorite bands.)

That said they manage to pick these mega-popular relatable bands and focus on their personal connections that sometimes brings obscure fandom into the mix.  This is what I like the most given that I still don’t like either of these bands.  (The podcast taught me that the very earliest REM material overlaps with what I like musically.)  

Michael Bradley (the Undertones)’s book doesn’t have an index so I can’t look this up exactly but they are a KILLER Irish punk band (1 LP blows the U2 catalog away) and at one point very early on he meets Bono and they have a brief conversation about fame in which the author basically says “What?  Don’t care” and Bono says “I want it more than anything in the world.”

As much as I love the underdog it made me think there is something to be said for putting it out there and aiming for success.  Real talk.

Protex are at least as amazing, I didn’t hear them until around a decade ago when Sing Sing Records released an LP they recorded in the late 70s.  They still tour and often hit the States and KILL IT every time.

So I like the obscurities, especially the ones that are as good or better than the famous stuff.  I just want more personal stories.  Scott (co-host) putting headphones on people is an absolute highlight.  I strongly believe Scott (co-host) has some deep ska roots in the late 80s, early 90s.  When Nick Welsh went over with Buster Bloodvessel to have Donkey Show be part of the backing band for Busters All Stars - I want every detail that can be recalled about this event - in a podcast made exclusively for me.

In a potentially less alienating sense I’d like a slight swing towards the more personal and obscure.  Experiences at early shows, any local bands - audiences may not know the exact references but it can still be relatable.

obviously the last one was the first episode of You Having A Vampire Weekend This Weekend

So I thought that I would compile everyone's suggestions into a ranked list so that Scott and Scott could take a look at it and decide what the new series should be.  I have ranked them from 1 (best) to 33 (worst):

1.            Urinals/Trotsky Icepick

2.            Pere Ubu

2½.         Rocket from the Tombs

3.            Yo La Tengo

4.            Steven Soderbergh (movies and TV)

And a 29-way tie for last place:

33.          Talking Heads

33.          The Smiths

33.          Steely Dan

33.          Pearl Jam

33.          The Cars

33.          Radiohead

33.          Modest Mouse

33.          Camper Van Beethoven

33.          Guided by Voices

33.          The Wu-Tang Clan

33.          Elvis Costello

33.          Beck

33.          Foo Fighters

33.          They Might Be Giants

33.          Look Who’s Talking (movies)

33.          REO Speedwagon

33.          John Waite

33.          Clocks (as in the timekeeping instruments)

33.          UB40

33.          George R.R. Martin (books)

33.          J.R.R. Tolkein (books)

33.          Perfumes worn by cooks (scents)

33.          Right Said Fred

33.          R2D2 (the Star Wars franchise character)

33.          Ticks (as in the arachnids)

33.          Nine Inch Nails

33.          The Undertones/Protex/Donkey Show/Buster’s All Stars/?

33.          Vampire Weekend

33.          Coldplay

You're welcome.