🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
FisterRoboto

Musical Monday Week 36 Om Shanti Om

That was the joke. Bollywood has a tendency to find something that people like and then make the same movie over and over and over again (I mean...they're not the only ones).

Do you know of any examples though? Was it a specific film or films that used the mountains as a backdrop?

• Like 3

I loved the first half, but will say the 2nd half started to lose me a little.

I am actually the opposite! The first half was kinda a little too over the top for me (because I legit couldn't tell at first that it was a parody and not played as straight) and just a tad bit too long, but by the reincarnation I was all aboard.

• Like 3

Did anybody else find he was really accepting of his reincarnation? Like "Wait, I'm the reincarnated spirit of this guy Om? Well, time to spend all my time with my old mother and best friend, see you Mom and Dad that have raised me for the last 30 years."

• Like 3

Did anybody else find he was really accepting of his reincarnation? Like "Wait, I'm the reincarnated spirit of this guy Om? Well, time to spend all my time with my old mother and best friend, see you Mom and Dad that have raised me for the last 30 years."

It seemed like he just literally had a flood of OG Om's original memories and so he couldn't not be accepting of it. I thought at first he was just gonna dump New Om's family at one point for his old family and I felt really bad for them until his dad turned up again lol.

• Like 4

Oh and also, some of those dance numbers looked like very intense cardio. I was thinking Bollywood should be the next Zumba, but turns out I was a few years behind.

• Like 4

I am actually the opposite! The first half was kinda a little too over the top for me (because I legit couldn't tell at first that it was a parody and not played as straight) and just a tad bit too long, but by the reincarnation I was all aboard.

See I liked the over-the-top-ness of the first half, lol. Think the once it became a little more serious it lost me a little. Maybe the length got to me a little.. I should've broken it up like most of you did. But I still really liked it!

I guess what I'm saying is, this movie gave me a major case of FOMO.

I agree. I could still enjoy the movie not knowing all the references.

But at the same time I still wanted to know what they were parodying or nodding to, to be fully "in" on the joke.

The part when Om saved Shanti from the fire on set was a reference:

The scene where 'Shantipriya' gets trapped in fire while shooting, and is saved by 'Om Prakash' is based on a real and similar incident that happened during the shoot of 'Mother India' (1957). Actor Sunil Dutt saved a trapped Nargis which later led on to a love story between them, and then to a marriage.
  • Like 4

Hey Cruel! Not only is it cool if you join, you’re free to participate if you want! />

i feel like maybe i'm not versed enough in musicals to join in, i'll end up making everyone watch the animated daft punk musical or something. that said, my favourite film of all time is a musical so I'll think about it

Nice to meet you! I'm the board's resident Phantom expert given that I grew up in Australia reading the comics, so I'm more than happy to reassure you that the actual Phantom mythology is actually 100% awesome. The movie is a steaming pile and all true Phantom Phans disavow its existence. I didn't watch the MM movie this week so I'll be lurking but welcome to the boards!

Nice to meet you too! I feel like I'll definitely have to at least read the character's wikipedia or something, it felt like it really should have been fun, but i didn't know wny anything was happening

Welcome, cruel. We also have hdtgm "classic" movie nites - with one coming up this Friday - if you're interested.

Thanks, I might have to come and yell about movies there too, so many things to discuss!

• Like 6

Now, as for this movie, wow I had so much fun

I think I perhaps wouldn't have turned it on at like 11pm after taking my painkillers if I'd realised it was almost three hours long. I couldn't get through it all in one go and ended up watching the last hour this morning.

I really want to know how much June's wigdar would react to this movie

I genuinely loved how they aged characters up simply by giving them a grey wig and eyebrows, their faces still exactly the same. His OG mum must have been at least 80 years old and her face looked barely older than him (although I won't lie I did have a little trouble accepting that he was supposed to only be 30 years old)

I really loved some of the set pieces, the tennis court scene near the start felt a little like a wes anderson music video, that was delightful. also om's bond girl moment in the water during the disco dream sequence was a delight.

i feel like this must have been super exhausting to film, all the dance scenes and costume changes on top of the usual film set business, i'd be knackered after about 90 seconds

uk netflix has like 20 some movies with SRK in and i now cannot wait to watch a whole bunch of them. I love that i still haven't watched boyhood or american honey bc every time i think about them i just can't commit to three hours for a film, but absoutely no issue here!

oh also my favourite bit was the giant maybelline product placement scene with sandy in the middle of this. nothing sums up the mid 00s for make up wearers more than a disgusting pot of dream matte mousse foundation

thanks for choosing this movie, i really had a great time tbh

• Like 8

i feel like maybe i'm not versed enough in musicals to join in, i'll end up making everyone watch the animated daft punk musical or something. that said, my favourite film of all time is a musical so I'll think about it

Honestly, none of us are very well versed. We're just doing it for fun, to be exposed to different movies, share movies we love, and have something to talk about in-between HDTGM episodes.

• Like 6

It seemed like he just literally had a flood of OG Om's original memories and so he couldn't not be accepting of it. I thought at first he was just gonna dump New Om's family at one point for his old family and I felt really bad for them until his dad turned up again lol.

Per New Om's family, I think one of my favorite moments was when New Om was talking to his dad at the afterparty for the awards show and just took his dad aside and said, "I'm sorry for coasting on celebrity and privilege. From now on I will try to be a better actor and, more importantly, a better son." Or something to that effect. Plus, I'm a sucker for Somber Father-Son stuff. Do you know how many times I've seen Field of Dreams? Because I don't. I lost count by, like, age 10.

And my favorite Indiana Jones movie is Last Crusade. I WONDER WHY?!?!

1846677.jpg

• Like 4

I genuinely loved how they aged characters up simply by giving them a grey wig and eyebrows, their faces still exactly the same. His OG mum must have been at least 80 years old and her face looked barely older than him (although I won't lie I did have a little trouble accepting that he was supposed to only be 30 years old)

Mike's old age makeup (or lack thereof) was so great. I guess...at least they put some gray in his eyebrows instead of JUST in his hair. But it's still hilarious.

I really loved some of the set pieces, the tennis court scene near the start felt a little like a wes anderson music video, that was delightful. also om's bond girl moment in the water during the disco dream sequence was a delight.

The disco sequence was amazing. When they tossed the water at his bare chest, I died laughing. It's so over the top and silly and wonderful.

(although I won't lie I did have a little trouble accepting that he was supposed to only be 30 years old)

Yeaaaahhhh. When he first showed up as OK, he was totally like

4b2.gif

Also, I felt a little grossed out when I looked up everyone's ages. Deepika Padukone (who we haven't really talked about yet, but she's an HDTGM alum from xXx: Return of Xander Cage) was 21 at this point. SRK was literally double her age at 42. But where it really kicks in is that Bindu, who plays Dolly's mom in movie within the movie was 56. SRK is closer in age to her than he is to Deepika. And only one of those relationships is played as creepy.

• Like 5

Also, I felt a little grossed out when I looked up everyone's ages. Deepika Padukone (who we haven't really talked about yet, but she's an HDTGM alum from xXx: Return of Xander Cage) was 21 at this point. SRK was literally double her age at 42. But where it really kicks in is that Bindu, who plays Dolly's mom in movie within the movie was 56. SRK is closer in age to her than he is to Deepika. And only one of those relationships is played as creepy.

He looks great for 42 though. While I completely agree with all of this I have to admit that I would have never put him in his 40s nor Deepika at 21. I would've said she was 28 and he was 36, but that probably says more to how they expect younger women to play older women in movies and I've gone down that conversation rabbit hole way too many times.

But speaking of age, how old is Dolly supposed to be? I had a hard time placing whether her mother was on set because she was a minor or her mother was on set because that is Indian culture if the woman is unmarried.

On the subject of Deepika though... She's fucking gorgeous and I wish I could stare at her face for hours. I absolutely LOVE that they switched their reactions to each other and we go from him falling over himself for this actress to seeing her falling over herself for this actor. She plays the comedy extremely well in the second half and kinda wish we had gotten one more big scene of Sandy at the end rather than just the apology that she couldn't do what he needed of her and him kissing her on the forehead and saying it was okay.

• Like 3

Per New Om's family, I think one of my favorite moments was when New Om was talking to his dad at the afterparty for the awards show and just took his dad aside and said, "I'm sorry for coasting on celebrity and privilege. From now on I will try to be a better actor and, more importantly, a better son." Or something to that effect. Plus, I'm a sucker for Somber Father-Son stuff. Do you know how many times I've seen Field of Dreams? Because I don't. I lost count by, like, age 10.

I must have missed that part at the afterparty. I liked how he didn't seem to be the typical bratty rich kid when his dad came out to the balcony on his birthday. He seemed to show real affection for his dad and vice versa.

• Like 2

Mike's old age makeup (or lack thereof) was so great. I guess...at least they put some gray in his eyebrows instead of JUST in his hair. But it's still hilarious.

WHYYYYYY did they get rid of his mustache? It was the best villain calling card.

• Like 3

He looks great for 42 though. While I completely agree with all of this I have to admit that I would have never put him in his 40s nor Deepika at 21. I would've said she was 28 and he was 36, but that probably says more to how they expect younger women to play older women in movies and I've gone down that conversation rabbit hole way too many times.

But speaking of age, how old is Dolly supposed to be? I had a hard time placing whether her mother was on set because she was a minor or her mother was on set because that is Indian culture if the woman is unmarried.

On the subject of Deepika though... She's fucking gorgeous and I wish I could stare at her face for hours. I absolutely LOVE that they switched their reactions to each other and we go from him falling over himself for this actress to seeing her falling over herself for this actor. She plays the comedy extremely well in the second half and kinda wish we had gotten one more big scene of Sandy at the end rather than just the apology that she couldn't do what he needed of her and him kissing her on the forehead and saying it was okay.

Oh, he looks GREAT. I looked through some pictures of him from last year, too. He's in his early 50s now. And while he definitely looks older, he does not look 50 at all. Dude still looks amazing.

And I totally agree about Deepika. Sandy is such a great character, and Deepika really sells her comedic moments very well. She's a big part of why I liked the second half more than the first. I thought she was just wonderful.

• Like 2

While I agree, SRK couldn't really pull off 30, I wasn't too preoccupied with their age differences. It never felt exploitive or skeevy to me - unlike, say, xXx: The Return of Xander Cage (or any other Vin Diesel movie). I think it's just because they both looked like healthy, mature adults. I could get behind the mutual attraction. It never felt one-sided, or if it did, it was story-related and more about fame and status rather than just looks and youth.

• Like 4

While I agree, SRK couldn't really pull off 30, I wasn't too preoccupied with their age differences. It never felt exploitive or skeevy to me - unlike, say, xXx: The Return of Xander Cage (or any other Vin Diesel movie). I think it's just because they both looked like healthy, mature adults. I could get behind the mutual attraction. It never felt one-sided, or if it did, it was story-related and more about fame and status rather than just looks and youth.

It didn't bother me more than the usual problems with how guys get to be sex symbols until they're in their 50s while women pretty much get mother roles when they hit 30. Until they introduced the mom and tried to make it seem skeevy that she was into him. That's when I looked up their ages and was like, "Waaaaait a sec"

• Like 3

It didn't bother me more than the usual problems with how guys get to be sex symbols until they're in their 50s while women pretty much get mother roles when they hit 30. Until they introduced the mom and tried to make it seem skeevy that she was into him. That's when I looked up their ages and was like, "Waaaaait a sec"

Like in The Apple when he grabs the landlady's boob?

Oh I had just assumed Dolly's mum was there as some kind of joke about her being horny for Mukesh and Om but both of your interpretations make way more sense and I hope she wasn't meant to be a teen?

I absolutely hadn't realised that Shanti / Sandy was so young irl at the time, and now I'm super glad it didn't end up being a big love story between them, even if I felt like the end of Sandy's story was a little underwhelming

• Like 2

No really guys I need to know how old Dolly is supposed to be

I never felt like Dolly was inappropriately young or anything. I just felt like her mother was just a narcissist who got off basking in her daughter’s reflected glory.

I could be wrong, but that’s what it seemed like to me.

• Like 2

I am my mother's son so I must ask, SRK, beard or no beard?

612fdaf59ea3daa811b53682d43033a3.jpgor 113a5a0edf94d0abd3225a4385eb8573.jpg

• Like 4

I never felt like Dolly was inappropriately young or anything. I just felt like her mother was just a narcissist who got off basking in her daughter’s reflected glory.

I could be wrong, but that’s what it seemed like to me.

So then why was she even allowed on set?

• Like 2

So then why was she even allowed on set?

I'm trying to think back to the movie and when Om introduces Dolly he says she's a childhood friend which would put them both at roughly the same age.

Also wasn't Dolly in on the plan? Why not then include her mother unless she's suppose to be a blabbermouth and they couldn't trust her which then again raises the question to why was she even there in the first place.

• Like 2