đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
FisterRoboto

Musical Monday Week 36 Om Shanti Om

I am my mother's son so I must ask, SRK, beard or no beard?

No beard.

So then why was she even allowed on set?

Maybe she was a momager.

• Like 4

So then why was she even allowed on set?

I just got the vibe like she was a “hanger on” who was living vicariously through her daughter. It never registered to me that she was there as Dolly’s guardian.

As far as why her mother was allowed on set, I didn’t think it was any weirder than OK’s past-life mother and bestfriend being being allowed to be there, too.

I mean, I could be wrong and having her mother there was code for “underage,” but it just never seemed that way to me. I feel like if that were the case, and the movie were taking a hard right turn from sweet, PG, romance to sexualizing a minor, it would have felt more obvious and exploitive. For me, the only reason Dolly’s character even existed was for her mother to be a spanner in the works.

Again, though, I could be totally wrong.

• Like 2

Kumar is a HUGE deal in India. The hand thing is so tied to him that it would be very obvious who they were parodying, even if they didn't say it was him in the movie. It would be like if someone just swaggered up and said, "Howdy, Pilgrim," everyone would recognize immediately as a John Wayne impersonation. Apparently, Kumar was REALLY pissed about this and tried to block the film's release because of it.

ETA: Tom beat me to it while I was writing out my post

Manoj Kumar, born Harikishan Giri Goswami. If he'd gone by "Govinda" maybe he wouldn't have had to cover his face.

• Like 2

Oh I had just assumed Dolly's mum was there as some kind of joke about her being horny for Mukesh and Om but both of your interpretations make way more sense and I hope she wasn't meant to be a teen?

I absolutely hadn't realised that Shanti / Sandy was so young irl at the time, and now I'm super glad it didn't end up being a big love story between them, even if I felt like the end of Sandy's story was a little underwhelming

Don't worry, she got reincarnated too.

stud.jpg

• Like 3

I'm trying to think back to the movie and when Om introduces Dolly he says she's a childhood friend which would put them both at roughly the same age.

Also wasn't Dolly in on the plan? Why not then include her mother unless she's suppose to be a blabbermouth and they couldn't trust her which then again raises the question to why was she even there in the first place.

Oh I don't think he actually meant she was really his childhood friend. He had to ask what her name was from the director directly before that so I took him saying that as him trying to impress the press with how close this whole cast was to him, but that part was a total facade.

I don't think she was in on it at all. Every time she was involved in part of the plan they either waited for her to leave so they could steal her phone or she looked genuinely surprised.

I just got the vibe like she was a “hanger on” who was living vicariously through her daughter. It never registered to me that she was there as Dolly’s guardian.

As far as why her mother was allowed on set, I didn’t think it was any weirder than OK’s past-life mother and bestfriend being being allowed to be there, too.

I mean, I could be wrong and having her mother there was code for “underage,” but it just never seemed that way to me. I feel like if that were the case, and the movie were taking a hard right turn from sweet, PG, romance to sexualizing a minor, it would have felt more obvious and exploitive. For me, the only reason Dolly’s character even existed was for her mother to be a spanner in the works.

Again, though, I could be totally wrong.

But to me it is weirder than OK's because OK is not only the Hero but he seems to be acting as Executive Producer so he can have whoever the hell he wants on set and no one would say anything to him. But Dolly's mother is only appearing to be a nuisance and even a Momager can get kicked off set if the actress doesn't legally need a guardian there.

• Like 2

Thanks again, Fister, for introducing this to us!

I was actually coming here to thank all of you for coming on this delightful journey with me :)

• Like 4

I watched Main Hoon Na over Memorial Day weekend with some friends, and if you had fun with Om Shanti Om, I highly recommend it. It's on Netflix and is a really fun, silly action/spy movie. It has SRK and it's from the same director! It's Farah Khan's first movie.

• Like 2