🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
FisterRoboto

Musical Monday Week 36 Om Shanti Om

You know how sometimes you try to woo a woman but it turns out she's secretly married and then her husband burns her alive and you try to save her but end up dying right at the same moment a baby is born to a superstar couple and 30 years later set out to avenge both of your deaths?

Yeah, that's only the FIRST FUCKING ACT of:

maxresdefault.jpg

I hope a lot of you decided to watch it because man, it was a blast! I'll have more to say later, but I just wanted to start this thread off the right way...with probably my favorite shot in the whole movie:

sG8wJwU.gif

• Like 6

I loved the Bollywood stars in the middle. So glad to see the stars of the only other Bollywood movie I've seen make cameos in this film. Preity Zinta and Rani Mukerji both show up on the red carpet of the Filmfare awards and both dance in the song. I think Rani is the first girl he dances with. Preity shows up around 5:20. Salman Khan has a long sequence dancing with several other men. The IMDB trivia says he filmed his own sequences then hung around for 3 hours to be able to dance with another star. He comes on around 6:25 and has the shirt that looks like a golden Texas Longhorns shirt.

[media='']

[/media]

I also loved the director's two appearances, in the opening number (lampshaded as "Who do you think you are, the hero?" "Well, who do you think you are, the director?") and at the end of the initial credit sequence.

Here's the cover box of the Bollywood film I've seen before.

gZuSIzQnpbB35EktzXaAezSsXr.jpg

• Like 4

I had a much busier weekend than I had anticipated so I only got to see half of this but I'm gonna finish it tonight and report back! So far I'm really enjoying it though!

• Like 4

I'm going to pace myself because I have a TON to say about this movie.

First off, I didn't realize when I picked it that it was, like, the most meta Bollywood movie possible. Every other line is a joke or reference to Bollywood things, and I didn't get half of them. That said, I don't think it's totally necessary. It helps to know the super heightened world of Indian cinema so that you can understand they playing with the melodrama for fun, but I think even watching the movie at its face value is a blast.

Also, it's the first Bollywood masala movie I've seen. I've only seen Tamil masala movies (they're made in South India and often referred Kollywood movies), and they're AMAZING. My favorite is called Baasha, which is one of the craziest, most over-the-top movies I've ever seen. I was expecting something more in that vein, but I was super pleasantly surprised by how much I really fell in love with this movie right off the bat.

I loved the Bollywood stars in the middle. So glad to see the stars of the only other Bollywood movie I've seen make cameos in this film. Preity Zinta and Rani Mukerji both show up on the red carpet of the Filmfare awards and both dance in the song. I think Rani is the first girl he dances with. Preity shows up around 5:20. Salman Khan has a long sequence dancing with several other men. The IMDB trivia says he filmed his own sequences then hung around for 3 hours to be able to dance with another star. He comes on around 6:25 and has the shirt that looks like a golden Texas Longhorns shirt.

That was a fun number, and I'm pretty sure they just threw it in there so SRK could dick around with his friends. It was definitely used as a crowd-pleaser, and I'm sure Indian audiences went nuts for it when they saw a lot of their favorite stars up there (the only person I knew was Priyanka Chopra). But, like, even not knowing who any of the people are, I had fun watching the number. I love big dance productions, and I loved all the ones in this movie. I'll have to post separately about my favorite one because I have so much to say about it, but I really loved Deewangi Deewangi. I also really liked the end credits number, and I think all movies should have to end with a Soul Train-style dance down the red carpet for the cast and crew.

• Like 5

I agree with you, Fister! I went into it with some trepidation, but I ended up really enjoying myself, although - full disclosure - after the first hour, I watched it in 30 minute increments. That's not to say it was bad, but I would get kind of exhausted by it - if that makes sense. So I'd watch 30, do something else for 30, then watch another 30.

Obviously, there were a lot of references being made in the movie, but once I got into the swing of things, I didn't find them too distracting. Even if I wasn't able to tell who these people were, I felt like it was celebrating Bollywood history and I could appreciate it on that level.

Overall, I thought it was a lot of fun. I liked how it enthusiastically embraced all genres. Like I said on Letterboxd, I think my only complaint - if you can call it a "complaint" - is that I would get so caught up in the visuals, that from time to time, I'd forget to read the subtitles. All of the sudden, I would be like, "Wait, what's going on?"

• Like 4

Oh, and Netflix has at least two more SRK films! I've already added them to my watch list.

• Like 2

I agree with y'all. This was enjoyable and fun to watch. And the cameos and references did make me wish I had more knowledge of Bollywood, but wasn't necessary to really enjoy.

I liked that it was both a parody while at the same time being a sincere tribute to Bollywood. I loved the first half, but will say the 2nd half started to lose me a little. But overall it was a fun watch and visually was captivating with all the colors and enjoyed a lot of the musical numbers.

This re-affirmed I do need to check out more Bollywood films.

Oh, and Netflix has at least two more SRK films! I've already added them to my watch list.

I loved him, lol. I'll probably start there.

• Like 3

I agree with y'all. This was enjoyable and fun to watch. And the cameos and references did make me wish I had more knowledge of Bollywood, but wasn't necessary to really enjoy.

I liked that it was both a parody while at the same time being a sincere tribute to Bollywood. I loved the first half, but will say the 2nd half started to lose me a little. But overall it was a fun watch and visually was captivating with all the colors and enjoyed a lot of the musical numbers.

This re-affirmed I do need to check out more Bollywood films.

I loved him, lol. I'll probably start there.

That’s funny! I liked the first part, but the second half is where I really started getting into it :)/>

The three I found were: Asoka, Ram Jaane, and Oh Darling: Yeh Hai India. There may be more. I found those while looking through “Musicals” on Netflix for my Pick next week and recognized his face. (My Pick will not be coming from Netflix. Sorry, guys.)

ETA: I’m not sure why I consistently capitalized “Pick.” I guess just to emphasize - what will surely be - an amazing movie.

• Like 6

That’s funny! I liked the first part, but the second half is where I really started getting into it :)/>

I'm similar. Liked the opening number but turned it off a couple times in the first hour. Once they

both died and he came back

it picked up for me.

• Like 3

I'm similar. Liked the opening number but turned it off a couple times in the first hour. Once they

both died and he came back

it picked up for me.

Definitely agree with you both. There were things I absolutely love about the first act, but it definitely picked up for me in the second act.

One of the things I loved early on, though, was the thing that catered to my limited Bollywood knowledge. When Om goes to talk to the giant Shanti billboard, there's another billboard for the movie Sholay, which is the first "curry western." They're more officially known as the Dacoit Western (apparently, "dacoit" is Hindi for "bandit"). My buddy's girlfriend actually found it at our local library, so we watched it a couple months ago, and it's....something else (in a great way). Sholay was hugely popular and Bollywood produced quite a few Dacoit Westerns in the 70s. So that's what Om and Pappu are extras in when Om saves Shanti from the fire on set.

Anyway, that's also what leads into him staging his own fake Dacoit Western to impress Shanti. And this is one of my favorite scenes and costumes in the movie:

anaoG2h.gif

Overall, I thought it was a lot of fun. I liked how it enthusiastically embraced all genres. Like I said on Letterboxd, I think my only complaint - if you can call it a "complaint" - is that I would get so caught up in the visuals, that from time to time, I'd forget to read the subtitles. All of the sudden, I would be like, "Wait, what's going on?"

I had that problem a lot during the songs. The musical numbers were so engaging that they would end, and I would be like, "Wait...what were they just singing about for the last 10 minutes?" I ended up watching most of them multiple times.

• Like 5

hi group, medium time lurker, newish poster! i'm still way behind on the episodes (just watched the phantom and wow i didn't understand so much of that film) but figured i could at least join in on these posts, if that's cool?

anyway i've just put this on and the credits at the start at the sweetest thing, "special thanks & a big hug to", "very friendly appearances" i love this movie already and nobody is even on screen yet

• Like 10

hi group, medium time lurker, newish poster! i'm still way behind on the episodes (just watched the phantom and wow i didn't understand so much of that film) but figured i could at least join in on these posts, if that's cool?

anyway i've just put this on and the credits at the start at the sweetest thing, "special thanks & a big hug to", "very friendly appearances" i love this movie already and nobody is even on screen yet

Hey Cruel! Not only is it cool if you join, you’re free to participate if you want! Unfortunately, we just started a new cycle so it might be awhile before you get a pick.

Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll put you on the roster :)

• Like 4

Nice to meet you! I'm the board's resident Phantom expert given that I grew up in Australia reading the comics, so I'm more than happy to reassure you that the actual Phantom mythology is actually 100% awesome. The movie is a steaming pile and all true Phantom Phans disavow its existence. I didn't watch the MM movie this week so I'll be lurking but welcome to the boards!

• Like 6

The more I think about this movie, the more I like it. Like, I was full of jokes while I was watching it, but now i just kind of want to watch it again.

It was just so damn sweet and fishing silly. And even though you saw it coming a million miles away, O.K. brushing off the flames at the end was so damn cool.

• Like 5

Welcome, cruel. We also have hdtgm "classic" movie nites - with one coming up this Friday - if you're interested.

• Like 5

I preferred the first third of the movie. I was all in within like 5 minutes of the movie. Then the movie just kept going and going and going. I think I would have liked it more if I was able to break it up.

A few people have mentioned that they couldnt identify the special appearances and cameos. I had the same experience, but even more than that, I wish I knew more about the cultural references. For example, there's an entire discussion in the beginning about good names for a hero. What makes a name better? Are some of these names jokes? I don't know!

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but Shanti was already married to the Bond villain Mike, right? So why was he showing her the set as a future venue for their wedding? Maybe its a cultural thing to be married on paper, but then have a ceremony later? I don't know!

I wish I knew what the pop culture references were too. During the awards ceremony, they show little clips of the nominated actors in movies that are clearly parodies, right? Why was Om in 2 movies that were basically the same, the only difference being the actress? I don't know!

I guess what I'm saying is, this movie gave me a major case of FOMO.

• Like 5

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but Shanti was already married to the Bond villain Mike, right? So why was he showing her the set as a future venue for their wedding? Maybe its a cultural thing to be married on paper, but then have a ceremony later? I don't know!

They were secret “in-love” married. He promised her that he was going to make it official - I think - after the movie was complete. At that time, I would imagine there’d be some kind of celebration.

For me, breaking it up was the way to go. I got to appreciate all the twists and turns like a soap opera. When she said she was pregnant, I audibly gasped - lol

• Like 5

The one reference I really want explained if anybody can help is what was the deal with the Bollywood star covering his face with his hand? I got the joke enough that they pretended to be him to get in and that was easy because he's always covering his face so nobody knows what he really looks like. However, I get the feeling this was in reference to a real actor, and I want to know the story behind it. Did he literally cover his face all the time? Is that a joke to role he played?

• Like 3

For me, breaking it up was the way to go. I got to appreciate all the twists and turns like a soap opera. When she said she was pregnant, I audibly gasped - lol

I gasped when I realized Mike was going to kill Shanti and HIS UNBORN CHILD. That's a level of evil you don't see much in a fun, colorful musical.

So, did Shanti ever get a happy ending? Sure, she got her killer in the end, but what happens to her after that? Does she get reincarnated too?

And when Om started having flashbacks to his previous life, did anyone wonder how he was able to "remember" the final conversation between Shanti and Mike? Om was down at the fountain at the time, so how did he know? Unless Shanti incepted her ghost memories in him? Also, when Om got his memories back, do you think he realized it was his new dad that ran him over with the car?

• Like 6

The one reference I really want explained if anybody can help is what was the deal with the Bollywood star covering his face with his hand? I got the joke enough that they pretended to be him to get in and that was easy because he's always covering his face so nobody knows what he really looks like. However, I get the feeling this was in reference to a real actor, and I want to know the story behind it. Did he literally cover his face all the time? Is that a joke to role he played?

I literally Googled "Bollywood actor who always covers his face" and Manoj Kumar came up.

His trademark hand-covering-the-face was very popular and continues to be the butt of jokes of latter day stand-up comedians. In 2007, the Shah Rukh Khan film Om Shanti Om featured the lead character pretending to be Manoj Kumar so as to sneak into a movie premiere, by holding his hand over his face. Kumar filed a lawsuit, which was settled out of court.

• Like 7

First off I really enjoyed the movie I thought it was lot of fun. I loved the the fact that even 70s Indian fashion was very 70s. I've also had some of the songs stuck in my head for the past few days. I don't know the names of the songs, but the final number with explaining the murder and cover up is especially stuck in my head.

My biggest take away from the film is their very PG-13 friendly way of cursing in English. That is to just say the word fish a lot. I was quite charmed by this, and started doing it at my school now hoping it'll catch on.

• Like 6

So, did Shanti ever get a happy ending? Sure, she got her killer in the end, but what happens to her after that? Does she get reincarnated too?

I was thinking about this. The more I thought about it it wasn't really a love story by the end. Om loved Shanti but new Om loved old Shanti but in a different way. When Sandy showed up I thought naturally that she was reincarnated Shanti and they would fall back in love, however she wasn't and he doesn't really seem to be in love with her. He is just trying to get revenge/justice for his old love Shanti. In that sense the happy end for them for them was the taking down of Mike. Her spirit can go on to be reincarnated elsewhere and he gets to live his dream of being a Bollywood hero.

• Like 5

First off I really enjoyed the movie I thought it was lot of fun. I loved the the fact that even 70s Indian fashion was very 70s. I've also had some of the songs stuck in my head for the past few days. I don't know the names of the songs, but the final number with explaining the murder and cover up is especially stuck in my head.

My biggest take away from the film is their very PG-13 friendly way of cursing in English. That is to just say the word fish a lot. I was quite charmed by this, and started doing it at my school now hoping it'll catch on.

tumblr_mcin3od71k1qgrl28o2_500.gif

• Like 5

I was thinking about this. The more I thought about it it wasn't really a love story by the end. Om loved Shanti but new Om loved old Shanti but in a different way. When Sandy showed up I thought naturally that she was reincarnated Shanti and they would fall back in love, however she wasn't and he doesn't really seem to be in love with her. He is just trying to get revenge/justice for his old love Shanti. In that sense the happy end for them for them was the taking down of Mike. Her spirit can go on to be reincarnated elsewhere and he gets to live his dream of being a Bollywood hero.

The way I took it was, because her body was never found (and she was buried *gasp* alive), her soul wasn’t able to reincarnate. But, yeah, her spirit is free now.

• Like 5

I wish I knew what the pop culture references were too. During the awards ceremony, they show little clips of the nominated actors in movies that are clearly parodies, right? Why was Om in 2 movies that were basically the same, the only difference being the actress? I don't know!

That was the joke. Bollywood has a tendency to find something that people like and then make the same movie over and over and over again (I mean...they're not the only ones).

I looked this up because I wondered about it, too. So, the actor they were impersonating is a real guy named Manoj Kumar. A lot of Bollywood stars have sort of "signature poses" that they do. Kumar's is to cover half his face with his hand:

08manoj-kumar10.jpg

signature-moves-bollywood-celebs-manoj-kumar.jpg

Kumar is a HUGE deal in India. The hand thing is so tied to him that it would be very obvious who they were parodying, even if they didn't say it was him in the movie. It would be like if someone just swaggered up and said, "Howdy, Pilgrim," everyone would recognize immediately as a John Wayne impersonation. Apparently, Kumar was REALLY pissed about this and tried to block the film's release because of it.

ETA: Tom beat me to it while I was writing out my post

• Like 5