#41 PollyDarton

Lusty Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationHocksville, TN

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:12 AM

View PostChunkStyle, on 17 April 2018 - 04:48 AM, said:

This is the one part of the movie that is air-tight. When Secret Service Girlfriend sees what their escape vehicle is she says in disgust something along the lines of "you got a self driving cab?" If only she had read a little farther in the script she'd have known there was a HUGE payoff coming.

Totally missed that!

#42 sycasey 2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:59 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 16 April 2018 - 10:37 PM, said:

This just raised another question for me, and that is why did they even have a rocket launcher? Their plan was to have the president babble on at the convention while they sneak out in time for Florida to be destroyed right? When were they planning on using a rocket launcher? Where did that fit in the plan? It's a highly specialized weapon for special circumstances and not something they'd just keep in the back off their car for shits and giggles. Were they going to blow something up with it and then try to blame it on the geostrom? If so what? They flew in, so that means Ed Harris had to request for it be brought along, and now I really want to know what they had planned to use it for!

Is there ever a reason to not have a rocket launcher?

#43 ChunkStyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:29 AM

View PostPollyDarton, on 17 April 2018 - 06:12 AM, said:

Totally missed that!

Now that I think about it just because it was a self driving car that doesn't rule out that they stuck somebody else in there. They might have put in three people as stand-ins to make sure their ruse wasn't discovered.

#44 tortoisebeats

Goddamn City Slicker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:29 AM

This is the one part of the movie that is air-tight. When Secret Service Girlfriend sees what their escape vehicle is she says in disgust something along the lines of "you got a self driving cab?" If only she had read a little farther in the script she'd have known there was a HUGE payoff coming.

Between this line about the self driving cab and the line about the President pro tempore of the Senate, I have no clue how the writers thought through the details to fill these plot holes, but the rest of the movie is so full of random nonsense.

Still, what a hilarious movie to sit through.
CBB Ep 314

JW Stillwater: Okay could you shut up for just two seconds?

Scott: ONE THOUSAND ONE, ONE THOUSAND TWO

JW Stillwater: OH! You don't even have the decency to say Mississippi in the presence of a southern gentleman!

#45 SeaSkunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationThe Bunker

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:32 AM

This is the one part of the movie that is air-tight.  When Secret Service Girlfriend sees what their escape vehicle is she says in disgust something along the lines of "you got a self driving cab?"  If only she had read a little farther in the script she'd have known there was a HUGE payoff coming.

My question with that scene has a few parts:
1. Bad guys were tracking the President and that's how they knew where and what to shoot, but what was the tracker? They could have cut the shower scene earlier just to have the President say something like "Oh crap, my phone has a tracker. That's how they found us under the highway in the middle of this pre-geostorm."
2. How did the three 'heroes' loop around and beat their car to the bad guys?
3. Why is the President even in on the takedown? If he dies in the takedown, bad guy gets to be President and it's his word against two crazies who kidnapped the (original) President. Mission accomplished.

Slightly related: How fast can cars drive in reverse?

#46 sycasey 2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

Yeah, when that line happened I remarked out loud, "Oh, that's a subtle setup."

#47 ChunkStyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:20 PM

Does Geostorm have the biggest gap in the stakes of the A-story vs. B-story of any movie in history?

A-story: Plot to kill billions of people and forever change the geo-political climate of Earth. If successful the most significant event in Earth's history and even when foiled it kills tens of millions and causes hundreds of billions of dollars worth of damage.

B-story: Take your pick between healing the relationship of two brothers mad at each other for three years or the secret work relationship that could possibly get someone fired.

#48 PollyDarton

Lusty Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationHocksville, TN

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:52 PM

View PostChunkStyle, on 13 April 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

They also unlocked the secret of gravity in that time frame to have artificial gravity on the space station. I'd argue that is even more impressive than controlling the weather, but since it was done just so they didn't have to film so many people floating it didn't get much of a mention.

This fact that ChunkStyle brings up cannot be over emphasized. No one talks about it at all in this movie, rendering it as no big deal but the invention and implementation of artificial gravity is HUGE. If you're into space stuff I highly recommend Mary Roach's book "Packing for Mars" and while I cannot give Ms. Roach justice by trying to regurgitate her eloquent research about space travel, I can summarize part of it this way: without artificial gravity humanity will never really be able to truly explore outer space... at least in person. It is one of the biggest puzzle pieces to long term space exploration.
I totally agree that they probably had to film it this way because of money (and maybe they didn't even want to try after Gravity's success a few years prior), but it is funny to me that they gloss over something so profound.
In the world of this film I can only hope that someone off in the background is utilizing this new technology to send a ship of pilgrims into space to find a new planet since earth is effectively broken.

#49 SeaSkunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationThe Bunker

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:16 PM

Also, we've developed an entire new generation of satellites and other tech, but still ride the same shuttles into space from the 1980's?

PS- "Packing for Mars" is an amazing book. My favorite part was describing people testing space toilet prototypes by going up in the Vomit Comet and having to poop in the brief period of weightlessness on the descent.

#50 Hosey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:19 PM

I just want to say this episode was amazing. I listened to it twice consecutively, over the course of a few commutes. So many great bits.

"Italian meatball hero"

"No has ever felt safe around Ed Harris!"

"... laying on the floor, possibly having commited a hate crime..." (I hope there's a visual for this somewhere.)

I already love any Earwolf episode with Zouks and St. Clair, so I'm definitely biased, but I would vote yes for her to be permanent sub host.

#51 Hosey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:26 PM

All of Mary Roach's work is great! I'd also recommend Gulp and Stiff, the former about the alimentary canal and the latter about all the different things that happen to dead bodies. They take off on wild tangents and are a lot of fun to read.

#52 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:54 AM

I honestly didn't notice the artificial gravity thing, but isn't that kind of a trope for Sci-Fi movies set in the future? I always feel like I hear someone mention something about getting the artificial gravity set back on because they can't move as quickly as they want to when they are floating. I feel like it was also possibly briefly mentioned in the newest Cloverfield movie on Netflix.

And it's things like that that make a dummy like me think we've had artificial gravity this whole time! But I'm definitely gonna check out Mary Roach's work because it sounds fascinating!
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#53 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:08 AM

Was I the only one who expected the car to drive on its own while she like got out on the roof and fought bad guys? I was a little underwhelmed by the the rocket launcher thing. I think there was more fun to be had with the self driving car.

#54 Smigg.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:12 AM

I have to be a dick, and bring up a minor throw away comment.

I think it was Paul, when talking about Gerard Butler and his brother, said "One is from Scotland, the other is from the UK", Scotland is in the UK (for now). It would be like if I was to say "He's from Texas, but his brother is from America", it makes no sense.

So, I'm gonna go further into it, because I see it too many times.

- The United Kingdom is England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
- Great Britain is England, Scotland, and Wales.
- The British Isles is the Island Group of Great Britain, Ireland (not to be confused with The Republic of Ireland, it's the whole island with the Republic of Ireland, and Northern Ireland), and the surrounding crown dependencies The Isle on Man, and the Channel Islands, Jersey and Guernsey (Paul, if you read this in the mini-episode, it's pronounced GURN-ZEE, just to avoid another Sarky/Sarsy situation.)

Just a douchey, nitpicky, geography lesson.

#55 SaraK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:18 AM

I was thrilled to find this movie on my long flight yesterday! And I am very glad I didn't listen to the podcast til this morning so I didn't hear all the airline horror stories. It was a 11 hour flight, I would have been tortured.
Like Jason, the second Ed Harris showed up I realized he was the bad guy, and I was really rooting to Secret Service girlfriend to be in cahoots with him. It wasn't until she agreed to kidnap the president that I gave up that hope, which I know was way too far into the movie. Also, did the president propose to her for the brother? I don't think he ever proposed, she just started referring to herself as his fiance?

I am not great with science stuff, but I was confused with the idea that the impending Geostorm would suddenly end when the weather satellites would be shut down. Wouldn't the weather still be occurring even if the satellite got turned off and on again? I know it started the heat wave or the tsunami or whatever, but wouldn't it take a ton of effort to stop weather that's actually happening? I felt like the storms ended very suddenly.

#56 YallHearACrimeGo?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCumberbatch County, FL

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:25 AM

I'd just like to say that Jessica St. Clair should have known better than to try to go toe to toe with Jason on Diane Lane. He has expressed his love for her movies before so of course he knows "Under the Tuscan Sun."

Although...his character on Brooklyn 99, Adrian Pimento has a deep love for Nancy Myers movies along with Rosa Diaz. Maybe "That's Tuscany" is a movie in the Brooklyn 99 universe?

Also an instance of people being safe with Ed Harris is the movie "Appaloosa." Well you weren't safe if you were almost anyone who worked for Jeremy Irons in that movie...but just about anyone else was safe.
Take it sleezy, catch you on the flip flop... Now go on outta here and don't watch me die, and if you hear the door open and close its just my soul. - My Daddy's Last Words

#57 SeaSkunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationThe Bunker

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:26 AM

Couple of thoughts:

- Watching in subtitles, the daughter caught a Lyft, not just a lift when leaving her dad to go back to mom. Hope Lyft didn't pay too much for that nearly invisible product placement.
- Maybe things exploded so spectacularly because lithium ion batteries became the standard?
- At the end, I was waiting for Ute and Jake to try to kiss via bonking their helmets together

Finally:
- This movie felt like it wanted the emotional pull of Armageddon or Apollo 13 but couldn't pull off any emotional attachment to any character (except maybe Cheng and stereotypical sassy black millenial)

#58 Purenoize

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:09 AM

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 13 April 2018 - 11:30 AM, said:

Here are some of my nerd notes.

- The Earth moves. Those satellites appear stationary? Like a web around the planet, but what happens when the planet moves and rotates? How can one be over Afghanistan FOREVER?

Edited: Uhoh. I said "Bill Pullman" when I meant "Bill Paxton." Jason and Paul F. are going to be so mad at me!

This is easily explained by using geosynchronous orbits for the satellites. https://en.wikipedia...nchronous_orbit

#59 The Triple Lindy

Google Dark Caster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:30 PM

HDTGM totally scooped Cinemasins on this one, but this is still worth a look: