🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 186.5 - Minisode 186.5

Dealing with pesky mother in laws, examining Dd Harris’ evil plan, and we talk to someone who worked on the re-shoots of Geostorm on this week’s minisode! Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for Geostorm, shares a must watch during Paul’s Pick of the Week, and the Movie Bitches review Fifty Shades Freed. Plus, important info on next week’s movie!

I am deeply wounded that my old friend Paul didn't recognize me. But seriously was he working off hand written notes this week? Maybe the printer hadn't made it over in the office move yet. Either way I apologize for the inadvertent racism.

• Like 8

3rd movie in a row 2hrs long

Be honest, were you really going to be doing something otherwise productive in that extra half hour?

• Like 4

Oh man another one I've seen before this how crazy! I can't wait to discuss this because I believe Cameron H and I already briefly started a couple of years ago in the Recommendations forum.

• Like 5

Hey ChunK. This all makes sense. I bet somewhere along the way, spellcheck interfered and created your new name - i assumed you changed your name for a inside joke that i was not in on. Ha.

• Like 7

Beautiful Creatures. Sigh. I've avoided watching this because I don't want to see Emma Thompson in something horrible.

I'm going to see Jeremy Irons in Long Day's Journey into Night son and I'm going to have THIS in my head!

Ooh I won. I don't think I've won before. Yay me. I guess that makes up for how I'm going to be church giggling during Eugene O'Neil.

• Like 6

I am deeply wounded that my old friend Paul didn't recognize me. But seriously was he working off hand written notes this week? Maybe the printer hadn't made it over in the office move yet. Either way I apologize for the inadvertent racism.

I was yelling "It's ChunkStyle! It's ChunkStyle!" in my kitchen this morning. Ha!

Hey ChunK. This all makes sense. I bet somewhere along the way, spellcheck interfered and created your new name - i assumed you changed your name for a inside joke that i was not in on. Ha.

Awesome. :D/>

• Like 5

Beautiful Creatures?

I own it! The movie AND the book! AMA

• Like 7

Beautiful Creatures?

there's 3 branches of a second hand entertainment retailer in my area, i've passed this over so many times in each branch even though they were selling it for 50c ... on bluray ... after listening to the announcement i looked up their site and there isn't a copy to be had anywhere near me ... i wonder if there's a load of HDTGM fans around me and i don't even know it ... or maybe the store just threw the disks away to make room for something that might actually sell??? either way .. D'OHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

• Like 5

Beautiful Creatures?

On a scale of 1 - Monster Trucks, how would you rate this movie?

And is the book good?

• Like 2

And is the book good?

Well, nothing comes close to Monster Trucks :)/> But I’ve probably watched this (by choice) 3 times.

I was going to say a bunch more, but I realize that past Cameron already said what I was going to say;

So, full disclosure, I didn't hate this movie. I'm not saying it's a good movie, and I have only watched it once, but for what it was, it entertained me. My biggest gripe was the dinner party scene, which I felt was tonally out of place from the rest of the movie. I liked that the male lead was a literature nerd who was desperate to get out of his small minded, hick town, and I felt that the girl's angst (unlike Bella's) was earned. For the most part, I felt they were treated as equals, unlike in Twilight where there is this pervading desperation that exudes from Bella in every fawning word she thinks about Edward. I also disagree with Taylor Anne that the message was, "inherently all women are evil." She was really neither good nor bad, she's just like any other teenager trying to figure out who she is going to be. She's asking herself, "Am I a good person or a bad person? Do I have any choice? How much of who I am is predicated on the people who raised me or whose blood is running through my veins? Is my life predestined or--even when it doesn't feel like it--do I have a choice? As it turns out, it's all of these things.

The funny postscript I have to this is, when I was checking out, the cashier told me how much she liked the movie and that the book was even better. (Another thing about me is that I absorb books like I absorb movies--good and bad.) So after I watched the movie, I went and bought the book. Holy crap! Now that thing is garbage--and I've read all four of the Twilight books! When you think back on this movie, if you can think of any moment that you thought to yourself, "Yeah, that part was alright..." forget it! It's not in the book. Literature nerd who wants to get out of his small town and see the world? Gone. Nope--in the book, he's just a Bella who just pines over this weird girl that just treats him like human garbage. It's also terribly written--and this cannot be stressed enough, that's coming from someone who voluntarily read four Twilight books!

Bottom line--although it is by no means a good movie, and is certainly worthy of the HDTGM treatment, I don't really think it's much worse than the other YA tripe that we're force fed. In fact, my theory as to why the movie didn't go so well is because it veered so far from the source material. I'm assuming it was already a successful book series with a ready built audience, and even though I would argue that the changes they made to the story vastly improved it, I'm sure people who liked the books were left scratching their heads.

So, yeah, since writing this, as far as I can recall, I’ve watched it at least twice more!

(I’m going to try and re-read the book this week.)

• Like 6

Oh I just realized I said I would never rewatch this, but I did and I still hated it.

• Like 6

And is the book good?

that reminds me .. i saw monster trucks and i loved it ... it was alot of fun. jane levy was excellent as always.

and i also watched the new power rangers movie. it wasn't that bad. the end battle was rubbish but up to that point it was more good than bad. there are actually some very good moments in it. i mean it has alot more faults than monster trucks but it wasn't a bad double bill for a rainy sunday.

• Like 2

that reminds me .. i saw monster trucks and i loved it ... it was alot of fun. jane levy was excellent as always.

and i also watched the new power rangers movie. it wasn't that bad. the end battle was rubbish but up to that point it was more good than bad. there are actually some very good moments in it. i mean it has alot more faults than monster trucks but it wasn't a bad double bill for a rainy sunday.

giphy.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=9517476

• Like 5

Oh man another one I've seen before this how crazy! I can't wait to discuss this because I believe Cameron H and I already briefly started a couple of years ago in the Recommendations forum.

I think I saw the start of this movie on netflix one night before i passed out from a muscle relaxer i got from really bad cramps and it was a WILD ride but that could have been the meds... I do know the accents alone are thicker than cream cheese frosting and I for one cannot wait to see it if this is what i think it is

• Like 3

Tragic news, friends!

Apparently, I owned a hard copy of Beautiful Creatures and it didn’t survive my last book purge. I could have sworn I had bought it for Kindle, but no dice.* This means that I will not be able to re-read it before the episode :(

It also means means that at some point in my past I looked a cashier dead in the eyes and uttered the words, “Good morrow, my dear Bookseller. I’d like to purchase this fine copy of Beautiful Creatures, if you please.”

*I do have the its sequel Beautiful Darkness on Kindle, tho...

• Like 5

Oh god i would LOVE to do the awful 50 Shades movie but at the same time I'm gonna need to be really really drunk. Like I might need a babysitter drunk least i end up needing to cut open my couch again...

I watched the first one with a group of friends online back to back with another equally awful BDSM romance Secretary (which gave said group of friends the term Worm Job so... i guess thanks for that James Spader). I know I was bored through most of the film and what kept it interesting was the group of people I was watching with many of whom were in some part or another of the BDSM scene themselves/ knew a bit about it and it was just a lot of interesting ranting about how Wrong everything was. Not to mention super abusive. i have a friend who willingly forced herself to read the books and I followed another person journey on her blog reading them and it's... next level. I will never forget that there's a throw away line about the main guy having his poor maid clean his butt plugs. Like that poor woman better get hazard pay.

I still say we should do Showgirls first though if we're going to do an over the top trying to hard to be sexy movie. I would say we should do Showgirls for almost any reason though so i'm not to be trusted.

• Like 2

Tragic news, friends!

Apparently, I owned a hard copy of Beautiful Creatures and it didn’t survive my last book purge. I could have sworn I had bought it for Kindle, but no dice.* This means that I will not be able to re-read it before the episode :(

It also means means that at some point in my past I looked a cashier dead in the eyes and uttered the words, “Good morrow, my dear Bookseller. I’d like to purchase this fine copy of Beautiful Creatures, if you please.”

You are far braver than me. i almost want to get this book but i dont want to pay actual money for something that will make me so angry

• Like 1

Holy shit I'm 15 minutes in and every character has just been a caricature of one trope or another. I knew it was going to be crazy as soon as I saw a mom hit the best friend with a crucifix and that every other sentence began with "my momma said." I'm always leery watching films like this in that they are basically coattail movies.One genre movie or book does incredibly well (Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games) and then the publisher or production company fire out a similar thing as quickly as they can to hopefully catch the same win that happened before. I knew vaguely of this book from kids asking for it in my library, but I never really heard good things about it after they returned it, the movie seemed to have the same result in regards to its reception at the box office. I do enjoy that Banned Books are apparently a focal point of the film as I feel that's a topic the average Joe doesn't know about all that much.

Also I swear to god the set of the Ravenwood home entry is the same set used in the SNL Compulsion/Calvin Klein Obsession commercial.

• Like 3

Wait is

everyone dead at the end of this fucking movie?

Holy shit I'm 15 minutes in and every character has just been a caricature of one trope or another. I knew it was going to be crazy as soon as I saw a mom hit the best friend with a crucifix and that every other sentence began with "my momma said." I'm always leery watching films like this in that they are basically coattail movies.One genre movie or book does incredibly well (Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games) and then the publisher or production company fire out a similar thing as quickly as they can to hopefully catch the same win that happened before. I knew vaguely of this book from kids asking for it in my library, but I never really heard good things about it after they returned it, the movie seemed to have the same result in regards to its reception at the box office. I do enjoy that Banned Books are apparently a focal point of the film as I feel that's a topic the average Joe doesn't know about all that much.

I worked at a theatre at the time and this bombed hard. Even the teenage girls who worked at the theatre didn't seem interested. This was the first movie I remember where the tide turned against paranormal romance as the next big thing.

You mention coattail movies but Beautiful Creatures came out even after the Twilight parody movie Vampires Suck. I don't know when the books came out but you're way too late to the party if the parody movie is already out.

• Like 3

Tragic news, friends!

Can I introduce you to a dear friend of mine - the public library? :P

Also, fun coincidence: this movie is directed by Richard LaGravenese, who also adapted and directed the film version of The Last Five Years, which I watched the other night for the musical-related project that I've previously mentioned I've been working on. It's on Netflix, and I very highly recommend it.

Remember when we changed all our usernames to dinosaur puns to try to confuse Paul and he didn't read any of them?

• Like 2

Can I introduce you to a dear friend of mine - the public library? :P

source.gif

Besides, I’m pretty sure they inherited my previous copy. It might be funny though if I went in there and was like, “I regret donating this. May I see it. One last time...”

Remember when we changed all our usernames to dinosaur puns to try to confuse Paul and he didn't read any of them?

Who could forget that rascal “Cameron H Pachycephalosaurus“ and how Mr. Scheer craftily didn’t even make an attempt? Cam Bert’s got read, though :)

• Like 5