Jump to content


Episode 187 - Beautiful Creatures


179 replies to this topic

#161 gigitastic

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:57 PM

Ok I just realized something: Why did Lena's second forgetting spell break? Was it because he crossed over the town line? (which I think was implied by the movie) Didn't Len know that was his dream to move out of town? Wasn't that precisely what she wanted for him? She made that big voice about wanting him to live and explore the world or whatever. Did it break because he left town or because he was moving too far from her, or because he was by the sign where he took her? She knew her first spell broke so why did't she try to make sure this one was stronger? Or did she just expect him to stay in Gatlin forever? Did she not even bother to double check this spell? She's supposed to be this super strong witch if she can't even get a simple forgetting spell right I don't know how powerful she really is. Unless she wanted him to remember her? In which case Damn girl that is one way to mess with your ex.

Furthermore if i were Ethan I would be SO pissed off. Not only has my girlfriend (by now my EX girlfriend) fucked with my mind once SHE'S DONE IT MULTIPLE TIMES. Who knows what else she's done! I would never be able to get over that . This is some straight up Willow/ Tara Season 6 shit.

Also Why was Amma ok with it the second time around? Did Lena magic her memory too this time?

#162 Cameron H.

    Jabber-whoppin'

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,076 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:47 AM

View Postgigitastic, on 01 May 2018 - 07:57 PM, said:

Ok I just realized something: Why did Lena's second forgetting spell break? Was it because he crossed over the town line? (which I think was implied by the movie) Didn't Len know that was his dream to move out of town? Wasn't that precisely what she wanted for him? She made that big voice about wanting him to live and explore the world or whatever. Did it break because he left town or because he was moving too far from her, or because he was by the sign where he took her? She knew her first spell broke so why did't she try to make sure this one was stronger? Or did she just expect him to stay in Gatlin forever? Did she not even bother to double check this spell? She's supposed to be this super strong witch if she can't even get a simple forgetting spell right I don't know how powerful she really is. Unless she wanted him to remember her? In which case Damn girl that is one way to mess with your ex.

Furthermore if i were Ethan I would be SO pissed off. Not only has my girlfriend (by now my EX girlfriend) fucked with my mind once SHE'S DONE IT MULTIPLE TIMES. Who knows what else she's done! I would never be able to get over that . This is some straight up Willow/ Tara Season 6 shit.

Also Why was Amma ok with it the second time around? Did Lena magic her memory too this time?


What I got out of that scene was that the Darkness inside of her broke the spell - which is why her eye glows like Ridley’s just before it happens. However, I don’t necessarily think her Dark side was being “Evil,” more like selfish. Her Light Side knows that Ethan should go, her Dark Side wants him to stay. It’s just showing that even though she’s claimed both the Dark and the Light for herself, it’s not really a true balance - it may never be. Inside of her, the two sides are still vying for control.
Chilly: I'm telling you, man, if we had management, we'd be riding around in limousines, wearing leather pants, and buying condos. Can I eat this roast beef?
Body Rock (1984)

Seb: Maybe you just liked me when I was on my ass 'cause it made you feel better about yourself.
La La Land (2016)

#163 taylor anne photo

    A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:53 AM

View Postgigitastic, on 01 May 2018 - 07:29 PM, said:

As a Hufflepuff this makes me very sad.
EMBRACE IT JASON
WE ARE THE BEST HOUSE WE ARE RIGHT NEXT TO KITCHENS BITCH

I like how proximity to snacks is how I determine the best house. (this is not true I have thought long and hard about this and could write a book on each house but for me the ability to be not dead because of whatever tomfoolery Harry Potter is up to, be full of food and able to actually get in my common room without having a nervous breakdown over a riddle / being surrounded by other people who are equally as high strung as I am in a place that I suspect would have very good nap spots is very important. )

I have been a long and hard Gryffindor for my entire Harry Potter career and finally I have come to terms with the fact that I am in fact a Hufflepuff. It was when I was discussing this with friends and I said that I want to stand up for the oppressed and swing some punches in a certain direction but if anyone were to yell at me I would probably cry, and my friend was like "That's the most Hufflepuff thing."

So now anytime someone shits on Hufflepuffs (like it's always) I always wanna jump in and be like "EVERY HOUSE HAS EXCELLENT QUALITIES THIS ISN'T A CONTEST EVEN THOUGH THERE WERE LITERALLY HOUSE COMPETITIONS BUT SHE KINDA DICTATED WHO WOULD WIN EVERY TIME"
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#164 PollyDarton

    Lusty Bastard

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationHocksville, TN

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:25 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 01 May 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

What is the best original song (musicals don't count) in a movie to be sung by one of the stars of the movie?


Duh!


#165 PollyDarton

    Lusty Bastard

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationHocksville, TN

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:06 AM

View Postgigitastic, on 01 May 2018 - 07:57 PM, said:

Ok I just realized something: Why did Lena's second forgetting spell break? Was it because he crossed over the town line? (which I think was implied by the movie) Didn't Len know that was his dream to move out of town? Wasn't that precisely what she wanted for him? She made that big voice about wanting him to live and explore the world or whatever. Did it break because he left town or because he was moving too far from her, or because he was by the sign where he took her? She knew her first spell broke so why did't she try to make sure this one was stronger? Or did she just expect him to stay in Gatlin forever? Did she not even bother to double check this spell? She's supposed to be this super strong witch if she can't even get a simple forgetting spell right I don't know how powerful she really is. Unless she wanted him to remember her? In which case Damn girl that is one way to mess with your ex.

Furthermore if i were Ethan I would be SO pissed off. Not only has my girlfriend (by now my EX girlfriend) fucked with my mind once SHE'S DONE IT MULTIPLE TIMES. Who knows what else she's done! I would never be able to get over that . This is some straight up Willow/ Tara Season 6 shit.

Also Why was Amma ok with it the second time around? Did Lena magic her memory too this time?


I sort of understood it that seeing the sign shocked him back into reality (you know, the reality where most people were probably saying "whatever happened to you and Lena?") BUT I like the idea that the spell had a parameter around the town and by crossing the threshold he instantly remembered. It's as logical as anything else in this movie.

#166 tomspanks

    jaded meowndarin

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:53 AM

View PostCameron H., on 02 May 2018 - 04:47 AM, said:

What I got out of that scene was that the Darkness inside of her broke the spell - which is why her eye glows like Ridley’s just before it happens. However, I don’t necessarily think her Dark side was being “Evil,” more like selfish. Her Light Side knows that Ethan should go, her Dark Side wants him to stay. It’s just showing that even though she’s claimed both the Dark and the Light for herself, it’s not really a true balance - it may never be. Inside of her, the two sides are still vying for control.


Oh and IIRC only one eye was glowing, right? As if she's only half dark.

#167 Cameron H.

    Jabber-whoppin'

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,076 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:33 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 02 May 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:



Oh and IIRC only one eye was glowing, right? As if she's only half dark.


Posted Image
Chilly: I'm telling you, man, if we had management, we'd be riding around in limousines, wearing leather pants, and buying condos. Can I eat this roast beef?
Body Rock (1984)

Seb: Maybe you just liked me when I was on my ass 'cause it made you feel better about yourself.
La La Land (2016)

#168 Sadie

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:31 PM

Lena mentions in an almost throwaway line that Macon used to be Dark but changed so he could watch over her. Then someone at Thanksgiving tells Ridley to leave because once she's Dark, she's not allowed back home.

So...if Dark Casters aren't allowed "back home," then why has Macon stayed at the Ravenwood place? And while I understand that men can change between dark and light but women can't (*GROAN*), it seems like a pretty flimsy setup since Lena is almost 16 and has bounced from place to place. Why didn't Macon try raising her somewhere else? Or did he move around with her and that's why he hadn't been seen in decades?

#169 Sadie

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:48 PM

(I should add that I know LENA moved around; I just can't remember if Macon was with her.)

#170 gigitastic

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:27 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 02 May 2018 - 05:53 AM, said:

I have been a long and hard Gryffindor for my entire Harry Potter career and finally I have come to terms with the fact that I am in fact a Hufflepuff. It was when I was discussing this with friends and I said that I want to stand up for the oppressed and swing some punches in a certain direction but if anyone were to yell at me I would probably cry, and my friend was like "That's the most Hufflepuff thing."

So now anytime someone shits on Hufflepuffs (like it's always) I always wanna jump in and be like "EVERY HOUSE HAS EXCELLENT QUALITIES THIS ISN'T A CONTEST EVEN THOUGH THERE WERE LITERALLY HOUSE COMPETITIONS BUT SHE KINDA DICTATED WHO WOULD WIN EVERY TIME"


I thought I was a Ravenclaw for the longest time since I am the kind of person who will go on Wikipedia/ scholarly paper binges for fun but I would die surrounded by all those overachievers. The fact that I was just saying "Yes! Exactly!!!" so emphatically it woke the cat (and then apologized to said cat. Who happens to be named Albus though I did not name him) to everything you just wrote might be the most Hufflepuff thing I've ever done.

#171 tomspanks

    jaded meowndarin

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:41 PM

View PostSadie, on 02 May 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

Lena mentions in an almost throwaway line that Macon used to be Dark but changed so he could watch over her. Then someone at Thanksgiving tells Ridley to leave because once she's Dark, she's not allowed back home.

So...if Dark Casters aren't allowed "back home," then why has Macon stayed at the Ravenwood place? And while I understand that men can change between dark and light but women can't (*GROAN*), it seems like a pretty flimsy setup since Lena is almost 16 and has bounced from place to place. Why didn't Macon try raising her somewhere else? Or did he move around with her and that's why he hadn't been seen in decades?


Macon mentioned something along the lines of how Lena being in Gatlin provided her protection. Not sure how.

#172 Cameron H.

    Jabber-whoppin'

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,076 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:42 PM

View PostSadie, on 02 May 2018 - 12:48 PM, said:

(I should add that I know LENA moved around; I just can't remember if Macon was with her.)


When he meets with Amma at her Uncle's grave, she tells him things haven't felt right since he brought "that girl." He tells her that Sarafine has been shadowing Lena for a year and that Gatlin is "the only place left I have to protect her." So I think he's been traveling with her since at least a little while.

ETA: Tom beat me to it.

Posted Image
Chilly: I'm telling you, man, if we had management, we'd be riding around in limousines, wearing leather pants, and buying condos. Can I eat this roast beef?
Body Rock (1984)

Seb: Maybe you just liked me when I was on my ass 'cause it made you feel better about yourself.
La La Land (2016)

#173 Cameron H.

    Jabber-whoppin'

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,076 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:01 PM

View PostSadie, on 02 May 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

Lena mentions in an almost throwaway line that Macon used to be Dark but changed so he could watch over her. Then someone at Thanksgiving tells Ridley to leave because once she's Dark, she's not allowed back home.

So...if Dark Casters aren't allowed "back home," then why has Macon stayed at the Ravenwood place? And while I understand that men can change between dark and light but women can't (*GROAN*), it seems like a pretty flimsy setup since Lena is almost 16 and has bounced from place to place. Why didn't Macon try raising her somewhere else? Or did he move around with her and that's why he hadn't been seen in decades?


I never got the impression that you could just flip-flop alignments willy-nilly. You are whatever you choose to be at your claiming. Macon was still Dark, he just wasn’t acting on his Dark impulses - which is why he was allowed to be there.

Welcome to the boards :)
Chilly: I'm telling you, man, if we had management, we'd be riding around in limousines, wearing leather pants, and buying condos. Can I eat this roast beef?
Body Rock (1984)

Seb: Maybe you just liked me when I was on my ass 'cause it made you feel better about yourself.
La La Land (2016)

#174 joel_rosenbaum

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:04 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 01 May 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

What is the best original song (musicals don't count) in a movie to be sung by one of the stars of the movie?



#175 gigitastic

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:21 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 01 May 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

What is the best original song (musicals don't count) in a movie to be sung by one of the stars of the movie?


Clearly any and all Dragon Sound songs from Miami Connection!



#176 Sadie

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:31 AM

When we initially meet Lena on the first day of school, her tattoo says 104, but the next school scene, which is presumably the next day, her tattoo says 79. Is that poor editing or did almost a month pass between scenes? The teacher says they'll be talking about To Kill a Mockingbird, "which you should have read over the summer," so that seems like a beginning-of-the-school-year lesson. Also, the English teacher's name is Mrs. Hester, parhaps a nod to The Scarlett Letter?

#177 ChunkStyle

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:53 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 01 May 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

What is the best original song (musicals don't count) in a movie to be sung by one of the stars of the movie?


The one that I keep coming back to is 9 to 5. Maybe that is a cheat since it is going the singer becomes actor route rather than the reverse.

If diegetic was on the table then Sex Bob-Omb's songs from Scott Pilgrim are my easy number one. I truly wish they had put out a full album and toured after the movie. I think I'd pick Garbage Truck as the one song to represent.

#178 sycasey 2.0

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:08 PM

My best non-diegetic examples are from TV.





#179 SlidePocket

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:51 PM

Here's director Richard LaGravenese discussing "Beautiful Creatures" with Blake Harris.

http://www.slashfilm...reatures-hdtgm/

#180 joel_rosenbaum

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:48 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 01 May 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

What is the best original song (musicals don't count) in a movie to be sung by one of the stars of the movie?

Revisiting this, I am kind of ashamed that I didn't put this song forward: