179 replies to this topic

#21 SeaSkunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationThe Bunker

Posted 27 April 2018 - 02:34 PM

I bet Netflix or Amazon could have made a killer mini series rather than a confusing movie out of Beautiful Creatures.

#22 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 27 April 2018 - 02:10 PM, said:

I read this book and I barely remember it.

I'm a Ravenclaw. I'm offended by Jason's Ravenclaw racism.

I thought you were gonna be more offended that they called Jeremy Irons the poor man’s Alan Rickman...

#23 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:27 PM

next weeks largo shows ...

Spoiler

#24 grudlian.

Debbie Downer Award Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:37 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 27 April 2018 - 02:36 PM, said:

I thought you were gonna be more offended that they called Jeremy Irons the poor man’s Alan Rickman...

Jeremy Irons is as good an actor as Alan Rickman (arguably better) but I think it's apt. Rickman is in Harry Potter (right? I've never seen them) and Irons is in this or Dungeons & Dragons. Rickman was in Die Hard and Irons was in Die Hard with a Vengeance.

#25 Ofcoursemyhorse

Source of all P.F.T'S Hat envy.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:00 PM

View Postfirsttimecallerlongtimelistenr, on 27 April 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

next weeks largo shows ...

Spoiler

Although I'm sure their pick will be delightful I cant help but be a little disappointed it isnt either Breakin 2 or whatever Lambada based movie which had the amazonian princess plot in it.

#26 The Triple Lindy

Google Dark Caster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:11 PM

What was the deal with Uncle Macon's love of Google? I get that he excuses away the crazy unnatural lightning phenomena by saying "Oh, weird things like that happen all the time ... just Google it." That seems to imply that casters have some sort of manipulative control over Google search results. That would be impressive power, but I wonder why whatever ancient force that lies behind their centuries-old powers would account for controlling a digital medium that's only been around for 30 years. I guess they can do anything because magic? Or maybe there's casters in Silicon Valley ... I bet Gilfoyle's a siren.

Posted Image

#27 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:25 PM

So, I finally got around to watching this right now. It's the opening voiceover, and I already hate everything happening.

"I can understand why young men signed up for the Civil War."

This is gonna be a long-ass two hours.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#28 gigitastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:46 PM

View PostSaraK, on 27 April 2018 - 06:33 AM, said:

I don't have much to add yet since I was planning on watching the movie tomorrow, but I will agree that Penelope is a very cute movie. Reese Witherspoon is in it!

I loved Penelope and kind of want to rewatch it now

#29 gigitastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:55 PM

I'm just thankful Ethan wasn't obsessed with Catcher in the Rye. Like it's on his little vision board but he is apparently into Vonnegut more than Salinger or Hemingway for which I eternally thankful.

#30 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:58 PM

Alden Ehrenreich is like a slightly less uninteresting Dane DeHaan.

#31 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:13 PM

Question:

With the obsession about the Civil War, when Viola Davis showed the secret library and said the tunnels ran all over the country, is that supposed to be a vague hint that this was the underground railroad? Like with how much they talked about how casters were involved in both sides of the Civil War and any other social conflict, would it be safe to assume there was a line cut where they mentioned that the tunnels used to be the railroad and Harriet Tubman was a great ancestor to Viola Davis?

Also when talking about the tunnels they mentioned the central hub for the tunnels used to be in DC but Nancy Reagan had them move it in order to reuse them for something else. Does this mean that all high level politicians know about casters?

Do you think they had some fairly big name actor as Han Solo's dad, but the actor demanded he be cut from the film, sort of like Jennifer Lawrence had her scenes cut from Dumb & Dumber 2?

And finally, is the entire town killed in the storm/tornado/catastrophe at the end of the film? Nothing is ever mentioned about it after Emma Thompson is defeated and we don't see anyone except Han Solo, Viola Davis, and Leena.
2018 DLM Challenge: 219 movies (189 new) https://letterboxd.c...vies-challenge/
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"Everyone is a fucking idiot in this movie!" - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#32 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:25 PM

View PostRyan Sz, on 27 April 2018 - 05:13 PM, said:

Question:

With the obsession about the Civil War, when Viola Davis showed the secret library and said the tunnels ran all over the country, is that supposed to be a vague hint that this was the underground railroad? Like with how much they talked about how casters were involved in both sides of the Civil War and any other social conflict, would it be safe to assume there was a line cut where they mentioned that the tunnels used to be the railroad and Harriet Tubman was a great ancestor to Viola Davis?

The underground railroad was not literally underground. It was not a railroad either.

Posted Image

#33 gigitastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:33 PM

Question:

Also when talking about the tunnels they mentioned the central hub for the tunnels used to be in DC but Nancy Reagan had them move it in order to reuse them for something else. Does this mean that all high level politicians know about casters?

Considering the fact the founders of the town are caster I have a feeling they definitely owned slaves. Like I got the impression that The Ravenwood family may have owned Viola Davis's ancestors when she chastised Macon for expecting help from her /from her family instead of asking for it for much like his family has done for years. Also how much of that library was built my magic? What are the rules for magic building in this world even? Like can they say a spell and poof underground secret library! Or did someone (most likely slaves) have to carve out those tunnels and build it? Once built do the just magically move it around?

So maybe some people could have tried to use it as a part of the /underground Railroad but I feel like the white Casters in the area were most likely slave owners and on the side of the Confederacy

Sidenote:

I think given the way it's decorated maybe this is part of the Lost Library of Alexandria or something if they can magically move shit around.

#34 The Triple Lindy

Google Dark Caster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

Question:

I actually wondered about Amma's lineage and heritage. During the ritual where she communicates with some dead relative (when she takes off her shirt and reveals her tattoos), she warns Macon to tread lightly on her people's land. When I first heard it, and given all the Civil War allusions, I assumed she was referring to ancestors who might have been slaves -- they are in deep Georgia, after all. But then, she says that her family had been there acting as guardians for the library for centuries, and I just assumed that must predate American slavery.

By the way, that look she gives when she realizes that Ethan's mind has been wiped -- probably the best acting in the movie, even topping Emma Thompson.

If there's one thing that's guaranteed to be a hit with the kids, it's jokes about Nancy Reagan.

#35 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 27 April 2018 - 05:25 PM, said:

The underground railroad was not literally underground. It was not a railroad either.

Posted Image

#36 The Triple Lindy

Google Dark Caster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

Did anyone else suffer from Emmy Rossum face-blindness? It took me a while to realize that Ridley, the girl in the flashback (where she kills the guy with the train), and the red-eyed girl in the black and purple Sweeney Todd seance dress were all the same people. Then I look up a picture of her IRL and I still don't really recognize her.

#37 The Triple Lindy

Google Dark Caster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:47 PM

View PostSeaSkunk, on 27 April 2018 - 02:34 PM, said:

I bet Netflix or Amazon could have made a killer mini series rather than a confusing movie out of Beautiful Creatures.

This feels more like a CW show.

#38 SeaSkunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationThe Bunker

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:50 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 27 April 2018 - 05:35 PM, said:

Posted Image

I think only a literal underground railroad would fit in with the subtle nature of this film.

#39 gigitastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:53 PM

View PostThe Triple Lindy, on 27 April 2018 - 05:35 PM, said:

I actually wondered about Amma's lineage and heritage. During the ritual where she communicates with some dead relative (when she takes off her shirt and reveals her tattoos), she warns Macon to tread lightly on her people's land. When I first heard it, and given all the Civil War allusions, I assumed she was referring to ancestors who might have been slaves -- they are in deep Georgia, after all. But then, she says that her family had been there acting as guardians for the library for centuries, and I just assumed that must predate American slavery.

By the way, that look she gives when she realizes that Ethan's mind has been wiped -- probably the best acting in the movie, even topping Emma Thompson.

If there's one thing that's guaranteed to be a hit with the kids, it's jokes about Nancy Reagan.

I thought they were alluding to hoodoo practices with Amma . Depending where her family may have come from in Africa they may have been its guardian's there and in the new world.

#40 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:02 PM

Thank God they didn't have a plotline involving the Holy Roman Empire...