🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 187 - Beautiful Creatures

Erin Whitehead (Wild Horses) and Kate Hagen (The Black List) joins Paul and Jason to discuss the 2013 romantic gothic fantasy film Beautiful Creatures. Join them in the studio as they talk about all the southern fried accents, casters, the Beetlejuice house, and much more. Plus, everyone shares their love of Harry Potter!

I haven’t listened yet, but I have a feeling that my knowledge of terrible mid 2000’s YA is about to come in handy again.......

• Like 5

The ending of this movie is such a bummer; so Ethan (human Labrador Retriever) never gets to leave his dead-end town?

Sarafine sexually pawing at Macon made me so uncomfortable. I was half paying attention, so when she said brother I was like, oh symbolic brother not real brother, but then I started paying attention and that was not the case.

• Like 5

This movie felt like they filmed a four hour movie that was fully realized and then cut things away until it was down to two hours.

The Battle of Honey Hill seems to be the most important historical event for this small town and I guess a source of pride that the Confederates won the battle. But it got completely lost to history that they won because a witch showed up and started killing all of the Union soldiers? I think that would get at least a passing mention in one of those letters from the Ken Burns documentary.

• Like 7

Alice Englert (the lead) briefly went to my school, she was in the grade below me so I didn’t really know her but we have friends in common and from what I’ve heard the cast were really prepped that this was going to be HUGE and their whole lives were going to change. The producers on this really believed it was going to be bigger than twilight.

Also side note she’s Jane Campions daughter.

• Like 8

Also side note she’s Jane Campions daughter.

Mind = blown.

• Like 4

I don't have much to add yet since I was planning on watching the movie tomorrow, but I will agree that Penelope is a very cute movie. Reese Witherspoon is in it!

• Like 2

This movie felt like they filmed a four hour movie that was fully realized and then cut things away until it was down to two hours.

The Battle of Honey Hill seems to be the most important historical event for this small town and I guess a source of pride that the Confederates won the battle. But it got completely lost to history that they won because a witch showed up and started killing all of the Union soldiers? I think that would get at least a passing mention in one of those letters from the Ken Burns documentary.

Too bad the casters were otherwise completely ineffectual during the rest of Sherman's March to the Sea. Their "glorious victory" was one of very few missteps by the Union Army during Sherman's shock-and-awe campaign. Just like us Southerners to celebrate and say "We sure got you Yankees that time!" while everything between Atlanta and Savanna is burning to the ground behind them.

• Like 6

I love that so far in this episode they've all realized this movie is so bad they just start talking Harry Potter.

• Like 8

I couldn't believe Zoey Deutch was the bitchy "girlfriend". I loved her in Vampire Academy.

• Like 2

I love that so far in this episode they've all realized this movie is so bad they just start talking Harry Potter.

The main problem with the movie is that it's not even interesting bad. I wish the movie had really given into the craziness. That's part of what made Emma Thompson so good. She was playing her role to the hilt (and I think a lot of the adults were good for what the script). The kids were playing it maybe too straight (which I get because for them this was their first big movie and don't risk your career on a big acting choice).

• Like 1

I want to watch the movie about Viola Davis seemingly being the only black person in this town who has to deal with their bull shit obsession with the Civil War.

• Like 14

One thing that struck me while I was watching was that the whole thing seemed like a clumsy, lame metaphor for a young woman's budding sexuality (which sounds gross even as I type it). The whole thing about how on her 16th birthday a girl can either go good or go bad, where going bad seems to make you into a sexy man killer, totally played off the madonna whore type tropes. Add in the fact that it is all tied to the moon (i.e. menstrual cycles) and it sure seemed like that was what it was going for.

• Like 8

Ever since this movie came out, i thought it was a remake of Heavenly Creatures, and have kept going on youtube to watch its trailer, be disappointed, and then forget about it. This podcast discussing it has re started the cycle.

This is, to me, the most interesting thing about this movie.

• Like 3

Did anyone else think it was a little odd that Ethan didn't know who Bukowski was? In the beginning of the movie, we get to see Ethan's vision board (?) with book covers pinned to various locations on a map. Below, you can see that he has read (or at least have heard of) On the Road and Naked Lunch. I'm not lumping Bukowski with the beat writers, but I feel like Ethan would've come across Bukowski at some point. Surely it came up in his Amazon's "Customers who bought this item also bought" section?

bgo5fqW.png?1

• Like 7

Ever since this movie came out, i thought it was a remake of Heavenly Creatures, and have kept going on youtube to watch its trailer, be disappointed, and then forget about it. This podcast discussing it has re started the cycle.

This is, to me, the most interesting thing about this movie.

Hey, you're using the same font color as the background, lol. FTFY.

• Like 3

I read this book and I barely remember it.

I'm a Ravenclaw. I'm offended by Jason's Ravenclaw racism.

• Like 3

Hey, you're using the same font color as the background, lol. FTFY.

Sweet baby Jesus in a manger, thank you! This was driving me insane! Idkw but the response panel formated my font, size and ( apparently ) color.

May you find and keep the Chris of your choosing.

I bet Netflix or Amazon could have made a killer mini series rather than a confusing movie out of Beautiful Creatures.

• Like 3

I read this book and I barely remember it.

I'm a Ravenclaw. I'm offended by Jason's Ravenclaw racism.

I thought you were gonna be more offended that they called Jeremy Irons the poor man’s Alan Rickman...

• Like 4

next weeks largo shows ...

if you'd have asked me 5 minutes ago if i had a copy of sky captain i would have said yes. turns out i don't ... i'm equal parts furious with and ashamed of myself ... body rock is on youtube supposedly ... TO YOUTUBE!!!!!

EgZgONV.jpg

edit: make sure you search for "body rock movie" or else you're going to get very distracted by lisa maria or zuzana ... man i gotta join a gym or something

• Like 1

I thought you were gonna be more offended that they called Jeremy Irons the poor man’s Alan Rickman...

Jeremy Irons is as good an actor as Alan Rickman (arguably better) but I think it's apt. Rickman is in Harry Potter (right? I've never seen them) and Irons is in this or Dungeons & Dragons. Rickman was in Die Hard and Irons was in Die Hard with a Vengeance.

• Like 5

next weeks largo shows ...

if you'd have asked me 5 minutes ago if i had a copy of sky captain i would have said yes. turns out i don't ... i'm equal parts furious with and ashamed of myself ... body rock is on youtube supposedly ... TO YOUTUBE!!!!!

EgZgONV.jpg

edit: make sure you search for "body rock movie" or else you're going to get very distracted by lisa maria or zuzana ... man i gotta join a gym or something

Although I'm sure their pick will be delightful I cant help but be a little disappointed it isnt either Breakin 2 or whatever Lambada based movie which had the amazonian princess plot in it.

• Like 1