🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

HDTGM Classics Vol 9 The Tourist May 11th 9PM EST

Sorry, it took so long for me to post this. Is next Friday cool with everyone or do we need an extra week?

onesheet.jpg

• Like 3

Just found out I can make it woo! Hopefully won't have to leave midway through this time lol.

• Like 3

I was kicked out and I was saying something VERY funny!

• Like 6

The IMDB trivia on this movie is a very interesting read

• Like 1

The IMDB trivia on this movie is a very interesting read

Please share some highlights...

I'm listening to the episode again. Guess the budget:

$100 million

Now guess how much it made:

$292 million

• Like 2

I'm listening to the episode again. Guess the budget:

$100 million

Now guess how much it made:

$292 million

That’s insane!

• Like 1

Please share some highlights...

Okay here are some of the more interesting ones:

Angelina Jolie admitted, in an interview with Vogue Magazine, that the only reason she agreed to do this movie, was because she knew it would be a "quick shoot" in Venice, Italy.

On the strength of his previous movie, The Lives of Others (2006), director Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck was granted a large amount of control in casting decisions and the screenplay for his big-budget Hollywood debut. However, when shooting began, his famous lead actors took control, and in the end, he had very little creative input.

The project went through several directorial changes. Originally, the film was set with Lasse Hallström, but he left over scheduling conflicts. Then Bharat Nalluri came on, but left after the project had more difficulties. Then, when Angelina Jolie came on, so did Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, but he left over "creative differences," along with Sam Worthington. But after many names were mooted, including Alfonso Cuarón, Donnersmarck returned.

As for the budget

For the Gala set, Jon Hutman and his team took ten weeks to design a concept for an empty space the size of a football field. Hutman and Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, along with Location Manager Fabrizio Cerato, found the Scuola Grande della Misericordia in the Canneregio district in Venice, Italy, and fell in love with it from the moment they saw it. This vast interior of this eighteenth century building has exposed brick walls, typical in Venetian architecture, along with columns for building support. Hutman and his Supervising Art Director, Marco Trentini, and a team of twenty expert builders and painters, took four weeks after the designs were completed to bring the set to life. Because the building is historically preserved, The City of Venice had to approve every aspect of Hutman's design, right down to the nail. An entire mezzanine and balcony were built from scratch; sculpted and sanded to match the existing columns and floors. This was complete with a railed staircases. A dance floor was built from wood, and the wood was hand-painted to look like marble. A raised platform was constructed for the twenty-piece orchestra featured in the scene. The columns were wrapped with mirrors and squared wooden frames that were painted to blend in with the real white marble. Electrical outlets were installed for the crystal sconce accessories that radiated in the space. "As Elise and Frank dance, you have this glittering, sparkling background. Glamour. A formal but kind of raw elegance," said Hutman.

The Doge Suite in the film is located inside the Danieli Hotel in Venice, Italy and the crew did actually film in the lobby of the Danieli Hotel, though a suite was constructed off the hotel premises. The actual location of the Doge Suite set was at the Palazzo Pisani Moretta, right on the Grand Canal, so it had the perfect balcony where an intimate scene between Elise Clifton-Ward (Angelina Jolie) and Frank Tupelo (Johnny Depp) could be shot. Venice is a city built in brick, and the Doge Suite's interior earthy terracotta hues meshed with ornate accents like crystal chandeliers enhance the location space of Palazzo Pisani Moretta. Production Designer Jon Hutman re-proportioned the rooms and with double doors and floor to ceiling windows the space transformed into timeless combination of modern and old Venetian décor. Angelina Jolie said: "When we were shooting inside the Doge Suite set, I spent the three days of shooting there thinking, 'What an amazing hotel room'. Then someone showed me that none of the walls were real, and that's not real marble, it's painted. It was crafted so meticulously I couldn't tell what was added on and what was adjusted."
  • Like 1

his famous lead actors took control

Not surprised at all.

Also, they did all that for the gala and the scene lasts for 5 minutes!?

• Like 1

Quick question: if Depp was Pearce, how’d he know Jolie would choose him? In fact, wasn’t he her *second* choice? Is their love so pure and magical that they were destined to be together?

Also, Alexander Pearce sounded like a real monster before he got his work done (i.e. balding with crooked cigarette-stained teeth). I’m not saying looks are everything, but it does seem surprising for someone who was the purportedly the love of Jolie’s life...

• Like 2

Quick question: if Depp was Pearce, how’d he know Jolie would choose him? In fact, wasn’t he her *second* choice? Is their love so pure and magical that they were destined to be together?

Also, Alexander Pearce sounded like a real monster before he got his work done (i.e. balding with crooked cigarette-stained teeth). I’m not saying looks are everything, but it does seem surprising for someone who was the purportedly the love of Jolie’s life...

I guess maybe Depp bought out the 4 seats on a crowded train so that there would be a high chance of Angelina Jolie sitting next to him? And guys, it was totally the 8:22 AM train.

CL52V7P.png?1

If it had been the 8:22 PM train, it would have shown up as 20h22 on the departures board. The same-ish board after 12 PM:

LsNIYr8.png?1

So suck on that, doubters!

• Like 4

Also, in the beginning at her 6 AM breakfast, she gets her usual, a croissant.

lPG3jim.png?1

But a bit later, on the table is a fucking pain au chocolat!

etY5hLx.png?1

HOW DARE THEY

• Like 2

I guess maybe Depp bought out the 4 seats on a crowded train so that there would be a high chance of Angelina Jolie sitting next to him? And guys, it was totally the 8:22 AM train.

CL52V7P.png?1

If it had been the 8:22 PM train, it would have shown up as 20h22 on the departures board. The same-ish board after 12 PM:

LsNIYr8.png?1

So suck on that, doubters!

Say what you want about The Tourist, but they really got the details right.

Also, in the beginning at her 6 AM breakfast, she gets her usual, a croissant.

lPG3jim.png?1

But a bit later, on the table is a fucking pain au chocolat!

etY5hLx.png?1

HOW DARE THEY

Oh, never mind. Forget I said anything.

• Like 3