#41 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:46 PM

View PostThe Triple Lindy, on 08 May 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

EDITED TO ASK: What the hell is wrong with just shaving your head?

Probably feared it wouldn't grow back.

Also, they are both wearing glasses as well. You might not be far off...
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#42 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

As far as the lip-synching goes, I think it is in-keeping with the themes presented with the rest of the fantasies in the Singing Detective novel. Dan Dark's whole life, his fantasy life and his real life, is all about surface perception. His detective novel writing is self-consciously formulaic and exploitative of genre tropes to such an extent that he himself described it as "trash." The same goes for the songs; they are the most surface-level representations of these cliche show tunes, no personal touches or interpretation necessary, just the barest modicum of lounge-singer rote behavior. His whole purpose in writing this way, in manifesting these songs in this manner, is to keep his psychological damage buried deep within himself, which is why he reacts so strongly when Gibson's psychiatrist points out that the characters in his writing are emerging through the surface into his writing, just like his psychological damage is bursting through the SURFACE of his skin as his arthritic psoriasis.

This movie is exceptionally thematically consistent, but it does fall short in developing its narrative and characters enough to make the viewer engage with these themes in a truly meaningful way, in my opinion.
"Warning: Detected synaptic seepage. Neural failure within 24 hours... Welcome to Newark."
- Johnny Mnemonic (1995)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#43 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:55 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 08 May 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

Probably feared it wouldn't grow back.

Also, they are both wearing glasses as well. You might not be far off...

Wat. Why wouldn't it grow back?

Can we talk about Robin Wright? In the noir fantasy portion, she was drowned, right? But why? Was it to set up Binney? But then Robin Wright comes back to kill Binney. How? Is she the same woman from the beginning? And did she want to kill "The Warbler" too? I really didn't understand any of this.

And then in reality, Robin Wright was Dan Dark's ex. I could understand why she came to visit him in the hospital and even looked after his affairs, but why did she get back with him at the end?

#44 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:25 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 08 May 2018 - 08:55 PM, said:

Wat. Why wouldn't it grow back?

Can we talk about Robin Wright? In the noir fantasy portion, she was drowned, right? But why? Was it to set up Binney? But then Robin Wright comes back to kill Binney. How? Is she the same woman from the beginning? And did she want to kill "The Warbler" too? I really didn't understand any of this.

And then in reality, Robin Wright was Dan Dark's ex. I could understand why she came to visit him in the hospital and even looked after his affairs, but why did she get back with him at the end?

I don't know if this is the same for everyone but I remember an old wives tell about shaving heads and the hair not coming back. I think that's because as it's growing back in you see the hair pattern more which reveals bald sports and receding hairlines that are normally covered.

As far as Robin Wright goes IMDB lists her as having three roles, so I'm going to assume that the one that died and the one at the end are two different characters... I guess... and as far as why they got back together, did they ever state why they separated? I don't recall. Maybe it was his caustic personality that drove her away but she still cared about him. As he got better so did his personality, so she went back to him?
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#45 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:53 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 08 May 2018 - 09:25 PM, said:

... and as far as why they got back together, did they ever state why they separated? I don't recall. Maybe it was his caustic personality that drove her away but she still cared about him. As he got better so did his personality, so she went back to him?

They never really state but I assumed she had cheated on him by how much he had yelled at her when she was at the hospital and how much he called her a "wh*re." She never really seemed to argue with him about it and instead just runs away, so to be completely honest I'm not entirely sure she really did cheat and she was just relinquishing her guilt or if that had also been all in his mind and she just couldn't stand him wrongfully yelling anymore.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#46 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:04 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 09 May 2018 - 05:53 AM, said:

They never really state but I assumed she had cheated on him by how much he had yelled at her when she was at the hospital and how much he called her a "wh*re." She never really seemed to argue with him about it and instead just runs away, so to be completely honest I'm not entirely sure she really did cheat and she was just relinquishing her guilt or if that had also been all in his mind and she just couldn't stand him wrongfully yelling anymore.

I could see him being a jealous control freak before the hospitalization though.

#47 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:18 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 09 May 2018 - 09:04 AM, said:

I could see him being a jealous control freak before the hospitalization though.

Oh 100%

He obviously has a skewed vision of women and an overactive imagination so that's why I wasn't even entirely sure if she was ever at fault for their issues. But I think that's where this movie fails and the mini-series probably prevails because that's the kind of information we need and not a really long sequence about Katie Holmes giving him a hand job.... have I mentioned how grossed out I am by that???
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#48 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:18 AM

Two musical mondays where I have killed the conversation I am on a ROLL lmao.

Posted Image

#49 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:29 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 09 May 2018 - 09:18 AM, said:

Oh 100%

He obviously has a skewed vision of women and an overactive imagination so that's why I wasn't even entirely sure if she was ever at fault for their issues. But I think that's where this movie fails and the mini-series probably prevails because that's the kind of information we need and not a really long sequence about Katie Holmes giving him a hand job.... have I mentioned how grossed out I am by that???

Well, now that you mention that scene, and to keep this thread from dying, let's get INTO IT.

I think that scene is important because it's a signal early in the film that he's regressed sexually to a state of adolescence (or never evolved past that point in the first place). He's prone, in bed, unable to even pleasure himself (because of his arthritic hands), at the mercy of his capricious biology, despite his best efforts to spare his dignity. He cannot even enjoy the physical release, it's analogous to the humiliation of nocturnal emissions and uncontrollable erections in front of beautiful girls. He might as well be confined to his room as a little boy, listening to his mother's sexual exploits through the thin walls of their awful apartment.
"Warning: Detected synaptic seepage. Neural failure within 24 hours... Welcome to Newark."
- Johnny Mnemonic (1995)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#50 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:36 AM

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to let the thread die, but I thought taylor's last gif was too perfect.

Anyhoo, although that scene was uncomfortable to watch, I thought some of the unsexy things Dan ran through his head was funny like songs from The Sound of Music, 9 grain toast, organic pizza, pina coladas.

#51 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:09 AM

My last question is how long did he have the arthritis before the movie started? It was unclear to me if he had the arthritis when writing his books or if it developed recently. A lot of descriptions of the movie are that he departs into these fantasy states because he's bed-ridden. However the quality of his writing and his personality seems like he'd been doing it a lot and that's how the first book contained so much of his psychoses.
Mary Lane: (singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."
-- Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

Offscreen critic: "What was that s**t with the window?"
-- La La Land (2016)

#52 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:21 PM

View PostCinco DeNio, on 13 May 2018 - 08:09 AM, said:

My last question is how long did he have the arthritis before the movie started? It was unclear to me if he had the arthritis when writing his books or if it developed recently. A lot of descriptions of the movie are that he departs into these fantasy states because he's bed-ridden. However the quality of his writing and his personality seems like he'd been doing it a lot and that's how the first book contained so much of his psychoses.

26 years

#53 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:26 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 13 May 2018 - 01:21 PM, said:

26 years

Posted Image
Mary Lane: (singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."
-- Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

Offscreen critic: "What was that s**t with the window?"
-- La La Land (2016)