#21 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:20 AM

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 11 May 2018 - 09:04 AM, said:

Still not showing up in my podcast app. Maybe it's just me.

My life is hard, guys.

I wish I was more technologically inclined and I could actually help you lol. Cause if that's the only show on your feed not properly refreshing that sounds like some kind of internal mess up rather than something on your end, ya know? But that doesn't explain why I can still get it then.

Shit's weird.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#22 Dan Engler

Ombudsman

• Administrators
  • 1,644 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:57 AM

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 11 May 2018 - 07:02 AM, said:

Does the show not feed into iTunes anymore? I found this week and the minisode on Stitcher but I usually listen on my iPad and it's now showing up?

Try deleting it from iTunes and re-subscribing. If you've been listening for a long time, you may still be subscribed to the very old Feedburner RSS feed which was recently deleted.
Disclaimer: I am not an Earwolf employee. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of Midroll Media LLC.

#23 Smigg.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:08 AM

Tried watching the movie. But instead, listened to Opie and Anthony clips about their security guard, 'Master Po' talking about his exercise programme, also called "Body Rock"

FIVE STARS!!

#24 Smigg.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:13 PM

When the guy says "I want to be like Muhammad Ali.. but in his prime!" I think it was supposed to be an ill thought out metaphor.

As we all know, when Ali was in his prime, he transcended the world of boxing, he became a civil rights leader, he was doing appearances on chat shows, Pro Wrestling, and anything else he wanted to do. He was not only the best fighter in the world, he was perhaps the most famous person in the world.

So, perhaps this shit-pie was saying "I want to be so good in my chosen field, I become the biggest thing in the world." Why he felt the need to put his fist up, I don't know. I'm just chalking it up to him being a shit-pie with an extroverted nipple game.

More importantly, him saying "...but in his prime!" is such a dickish thing to say about one of the most important people in history, the man's fight with George Foreman was watched by ONE BILLION PEOPLE!

But think of it this way, this movie came out in 1984, so it was probably being filmed in 1983, so I would hazard a guess that this was written in 1982, Muhammad Ali had only just retired the previous year. To put that into perspective, he had his first fight in 1960, he had SIXTY-ONE fights in his career and went 56-5, and his last three losses came to:

Leon Spinks - Olympic Gold Medallist, who Ali beat in the rematch
Larry Holmes - He was in the middle of a 48 fight win streak, that's one less than Rocky Marciano, and became undisputed World Heavyweight Champion, and went on amass a 69-6 record
Trevor Berbick - Went on to become a Heavyweight Champion.

Muhammad Ali's "Prime" lasted from 1960 to 1980 over the course of almost 60 fights, and you're acting like Muhammad Ali has embarrassed himself and became a joke?! You arrogant prick, fuck you "Chilly" and whoever wrote your shit-pie dialogue.

#25 Smigg.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:08 PM

I've actually annoyed myself with that rant, so I'm posting this to cheer myself up...

Posted Image

#26 burrhaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:47 PM

HDTGM Crossover alert - Body Rock and Glitter exist in the same universe.

Starting at around 25:25, Dice turns down a contract offer from Gary of Tough Riot(?) Records who "just signed Chilly D."

I feel so gross for knowing any of this.

#27 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:05 PM

View Postburrhaz, on 11 May 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

HDTGM Crossover alert - Body Rock and Glitter exist in the same universe.

Starting at around 25:25, Dice turns down a contract offer from Gary of Tough Riot(?) Records who "just signed Chilly D."

I feel so gross for knowing any of this.

Well, I guess that wraps up C&Os for the week. I mean, no one’s going to beat this, right?

Great catch, burrhaz!
Chilly: I'm telling you, man, if we had management, we'd be riding around in limousines, wearing leather pants, and buying condos. Can I eat this roast beef?
Body Rock (1984)

Seb: Maybe you just liked me when I was on my ass 'cause it made you feel better about yourself.
La La Land (2016)

#28 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:13 PM

I started watching the movie again and Chilly immediately ditches his friends at minute 42.

Everything I wrote about him being not selfish in the beginning of the movie goes down the drain 2 minutes after I called quits lol! But that just makes me ask... why? Was it really just the rush of working in this successful club? One minute he's telling his friends about how he told Terrence he's gonna get a DJ and a Rapper and the next he's just getting into a limo and ditching them. There's no signs of true motivation that he would have done that.

Dang this movie sucks.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#29 Edded by dawn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:24 PM

I agree with june i was with a gal and we saw some breakdancing and i didnt stop or watch cuz who cares the best stuff is on youtube if i need it

#30 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:41 PM

Question:

Is Luigi from Super Mario Bros. not white? When Alison said that I instantly went over in my head the hundreds of times I've seen that character and was instantly confused.

Also, since the gang from It's Always Sunny have a habit of loving horrible pop culture thinking it's cool, is it safe to assume they got their mindset that dusters are cool from Chilly?
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

And apparently the collar popping is not a character choice but a way of the actor's life as apparently he still does this
Posted Image and this is just one of many shown on Google. Also with the talk about Lamas' dong size, I guess now I know why when I saw him at a comic convention a couple years ago he had a wheelbarrow under his table.
2018 DLM Challenge: 219 movies (189 new) https://letterboxd.c...vies-challenge/
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"Everyone is a fucking idiot in this movie!" - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#31 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:43 AM

View PostRyan Sz, on 11 May 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

Question:

Is Luigi from Super Mario Bros. not white? When Alison said that I instantly went over in my head the hundreds of times I've seen that character and was instantly confused.

So I just read something EXTREMELY interesting that I didn't know about beforehand, because I too was very confused about when Italians started saying they were not white but here's what I read:

Italians, Jews, and Slavs were considered non-white in popular political discourse of the late 19th and early 20th century, and this discourse grew very influential in the anti-immigration movement, leading eventually, in the 1920s, to severe restrictions against entry of supposedly "non-white" groups to this country. This popular pseudo-science made it into the pages of the Saturday Evening Post and other magazines, supporting immigration restrictions against the "Alpine" and the "Mediterranean" races, described as the long-skulled, slow, peasant stock people of Central Europe, etc. Most of these immigrants were not running around in the 19th and early 20th century proudly announcing that they're Italian Americans or Slavic Americans because at the time, it was often very dangerous and at least a disadvantage to be identified that way. I think we call these groups an ethnicity and not a race now, because those categories have actually changed. This is due in large part to a series of policy decisions that gave some groups certain advantages in the 1930s, '40s, and '50s, allowing them to be part of an ever-expanding "white" race. The political context and the power context changes. Ethnicity, like race, takes on different meanings.

So I had no idea the government with their ever lasting xenophobia had classified these backgrounds as non-white to justify the bigotry but I'm honestly not surprised. The thing is, which is pointed out at the end of this paragraph, that did all change. I now understand why Italians have been saying this, but I still think that when I hear modern Italians claim racism it's a bit of a slap in the face to people of color living in 2018. I'm not saying that there aren't non-white Italians, because that would be ignorant, but I've heard some very pasty white people recently tell me they're not white because they're Italian and I hate to break it to them but their skin color provides them with white privilege.

Anyway, not trying to start a politically charged debate at all! It was something that I also found odd when I first heard it and wanted to do some proper research onto why I've been hearing that more and more lately!

#32 omaxem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationEuropia

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:29 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 12 May 2018 - 05:43 AM, said:

The thing is, which is pointed out at the end of this paragraph, that did all change. I now understand why Italians have been saying this, but I still think that when I hear modern Italians claim racism it's a bit of a slap in the face to people of color living in 2018. I'm not saying that there aren't non-white Italians, because that would be ignorant, but I've heard some very pasty white people recently tell me they're not white because they're Italian and I hate to break it to them but their skin color provides them with white privilege.

Has it though? Now, let me be the first to say that i am a white man, and that i absolutely believe that white privilege is a thing that is real, and that there are things happening today to POC that do not happen to me, because i'm white.

BUT, i'm also pretty sure that i f i ever went to the US, i would not " read " as white, because in the US ( and i believe this still happens today ) unless you're blond with blue eyes and pasty skin, you're " ethnic ". So, even today, someone who is white may still be seen as being a Latino, or an EYEtalian ( or, like a charming gentleman once screamed at me at work, a " Taliban " ), and have weird ish happen to them.

Never underestimate people being stupid and/or racist.

#33 JoelSchlosberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:30 AM

When Disney had "the Rock in Moana" sing, they weren't telling him to wing it, since it wasn't the first, or even the second, time that he had sung a song in a movie:

#34 HomeBodyMusic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:13 AM

The Wayne's World Song -

It immediately caught my attention early on in the movie when the song "Why You Wanna Break My Heart" was on in the background in the club (it plays again in the ending credits as well).

This song is featured prominently in the 90s classic Waynes World and I had no idea it was a cover song and not an original number from "Crucial Taunt".

Sure, Tia Carrere covered Ballroom Blitz when Wayne first meets Cassandra, but it seemed like "Why You Wanna Break my Heart" had been tailor made to fit the onscreen rift that was growing between Cassandra and Wayne.

I had no idea it was a cover song, from the Body Rock soundtrack of all places.

Quite the revelation...

#35 HomeBodyMusic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

Also, for the Twin Peaks Fans among us...

(WARNING : SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN"T SEEN TWIN PEAKS : THE RETURN)

Spoiler

#36 JimKata

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 02:55 PM

On Chilly repeated things he's heard other people say...this might be a crazy idea, but is it possible that this is where the Coen Brothers got the idea to have the Dude repeat stuff he's heard other people say in the Big Lebowski?

#37 grudlian.

Debbie Downer Award Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 03:29 PM

By the way, here is the break dancing video of Fik-Shun that Paul plays mid-episode.

#38 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:30 PM

update ... total runtime now over the 26 day mark!!!

#39 Eddie Miller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:57 PM

I watched Body Rock in amazement. It seemed to be a movie; there were characters talking and moving, but it drained out of my consciousness as fast as I watched. I had tickets to the show, and I was wondering how they could make this nothing of a movie into a funny show. Wow! The fact that I had one of the great times of my life watching a podcast about this movie proves that HDTGM rules!

I was considering asking a question afterwards, but since this movie was such a muddle I couldn't think of anything to ask. Now I wish I had asked two questions:

1. Who was worse, 'Chilly' from Body Rock or 'Tony' from Staying Alive?
2. (For June) Was Chilly 'oozing sexuality' in his love scene with Claire? (we know what Paul would say!)

And seeing June lose it after Paul said 'massive erection' was worth the price of the ticket all by itself :)

#40 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:29 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 12 May 2018 - 05:43 AM, said:

So I just read something EXTREMELY interesting that I didn't know about beforehand, because I too was very confused about when Italians started saying they were not white but here's what I read:

So I had no idea the government with their ever lasting xenophobia had classified these backgrounds as non-white to justify the bigotry but I'm honestly not surprised. The thing is, which is pointed out at the end of this paragraph, that did all change. I now understand why Italians have been saying this, but I still think that when I hear modern Italians claim racism it's a bit of a slap in the face to people of color living in 2018. I'm not saying that there aren't non-white Italians, because that would be ignorant, but I've heard some very pasty white people recently tell me they're not white because they're Italian and I hate to break it to them but their skin color provides them with white privilege.

Anyway, not trying to start a politically charged debate at all! It was something that I also found odd when I first heard it and wanted to do some proper research onto why I've been hearing that more and more lately!

I kinda remember the dialogue between Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken in True Romance in regards to Italians being basically light-skinned POC, but at the time I just took it as Hopper's character trying to get himself killed in order to protect his son. It was just weird hearing connected to Luigi who might be the whitest video game character outside of the Rabbids. Though what is without questions is his apparent love of tennis, as shown by the bulge he sports when playing.
Posted Image
2018 DLM Challenge: 219 movies (189 new) https://letterboxd.c...vies-challenge/
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"Everyone is a fucking idiot in this movie!" - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer