150 replies to this topic

#41 Smigg.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:55 AM

View PostRyan Sz, on 12 May 2018 - 05:29 PM, said:

I kinda remember the dialogue between Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken in True Romance in regards to Italians being basically light-skinned POC, but at the time I just took it as Hopper's character trying to get himself killed in order to protect his son. It was just weird hearing connected to Luigi who might be the whitest video game character outside of the Rabbids. Though what is without questions is his apparent love of tennis, as shown by the bulge he sports when playing.
Posted Image

Brings a new meaning to "Hard Court".

#42 PollyDarton

Lusty Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationHocksville, TN

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:30 AM

So Chilly cons his way into Terrence Mitchell's office to see if he would represent him and his crew as graffiti artists. The conversation that Mitchell has on the phone after he blows off Chilly is hilarious:

"Donald!... How are you? Yeah… well we moved in the sound system but they broke a speaker. So we had to replace that. These things always happen when you’re opening a night club. What do you mean! I still have to go from club to club and look at some DJs and figure out which ones are the best and offer them … you knowgood money! Yes, we have to get together and we have to discuss what we’re going to do. I mean we either have a houseband or some dancers or… you gotta spice things up, that’s right. Ok… alright… talk to you later, bye. "

I guess I don't really have a comment, this is just such an 80s guy conversation.
Posted Image

Also. I cannot get over how legitimately cool this sequence is:

#43 Smigg.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:23 AM

View PostJoelSchlosberg, on 12 May 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

When Disney had "the Rock in Moana" sing, they weren't telling him to wing it, since it wasn't the first, or even the second, time that he had sung a song in a movie:

Dude sang a bunch of times when he wrestled too

#44 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:27 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 11 May 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

I started watching the movie again and Chilly immediately ditches his friends at minute 42.
So what you're saying is: Chilly is the inspiration for Mark Renton.

#45 PollyDarton

Lusty Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationHocksville, TN

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:20 AM

The "Teamwork montage" shows Chilly and Magic learning to dance seemingly across Manhatten, but mostly they are just in Midtown. They are shown near St. Patrick's Cathedral, the Central Park Zoo, the Roosevelt Island Tramway, Times square... all in midtown... and then suddenly they are in The World Trade Center plaza, which is lower Manhatten and is kind of far. It would probably take you an hour to walk there, 15 minutes or so on the subway depending on the time of day. There is a brief shot of them on the subway before we get to the twin towers and I guess it is supposed to explain how they got there, but is a little lazy since it was clearly supposed to be a part of the second "learning to breakdance" scene (ahem... they are wearing the same clothes as that scene.)
Anyways... montages aren't necessarily supposed to be taken literally, but they would have been doing a lot of hoofing that day in between all the sweet breakin'. That being said, the clip of them at the Twin towers is a pretty cool shot taken from a low angle to really show their height... eerie as it may be to modern audiences it was still kind of neat.

Posted Image

Edit: any New Yorkers please correct me if I have these locations wrong.

#46 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:25 PM

View PostPollyDarton, on 13 May 2018 - 07:30 AM, said:

So Chilly cons his way into Terrence Mitchell's office to see if he would represent him and his crew as graffiti artists. The conversation that Mitchell has on the phone after he blows off Chilly is hilarious:

"Donald!... How are you? Yeah… well we moved in the sound system but they broke a speaker. So we had to replace that. These things always happen when you’re opening a night club. What do you mean! I still have to go from club to club and look at some DJs and figure out which ones are the best and offer them … you knowgood money! Yes, we have to get together and we have to discuss what we’re going to do. I mean we either have a houseband or some dancers or… you gotta spice things up, that’s right. Ok… alright… talk to you later, bye. "

I guess I don't really have a comment, this is just such an 80s guy conversation.

So you’re saying Terrence will eventually succumb to boneitis? RIP

#47 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:23 PM

In the episode, the panel mentioned Sheila's wavy eyebrows and I just wanted to mention that wavy eyebrows made a small wave (ha) last year in the makeup community. A lot of the Youtube beauty gurus did tutorials on wavy eyebrows (then came wavy lips, braided eyebrows, feathered eyebrows, you name it). I never saw any of these IRL, but it was a fad for a bit online. Who knew we had The Chorus Line's Sheila to thank for this trend?

Posted Image

#48 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:37 PM

Mother's Day convo with my mom:

Me: Have you seen Body Rock? It came out in 1984.
Mom: Never heard of it I don't think.
Me: It was a break dancing movie.
Mom: Then no.
Me: Also starred Lorenzo Lamas.
Mom: Then definitely no. I tried to avoid things I knew were going to be shit.

Also happy Mother's Day, June!!!
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#49 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:01 PM

View Postomaxem, on 12 May 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

Has it though? Now, let me be the first to say that i am a white man, and that i absolutely believe that white privilege is a thing that is real, and that there are things happening today to POC that do not happen to me, because i'm white.

BUT, i'm also pretty sure that i f i ever went to the US, i would not " read " as white, because in the US ( and i believe this still happens today ) unless you're blond with blue eyes and pasty skin, you're " ethnic ". So, even today, someone who is white may still be seen as being a Latino, or an EYEtalian ( or, like a charming gentleman once screamed at me at work, a " Taliban " ), and have weird ish happen to them.

Never underestimate people being stupid and/or racist.

So I'll definitely clarify that I am the whitest of the white as well. For those that have seen photos of me, and have met me in person, know that I am blue eyed and blonde and actually got mistaken in Reykjavic as being a local (legit this guy tried to speak Icelandic to me and I was like oh no no no), so I'll be the first to say that I have absolutely no idea what it is truly like for people of color in this country.

But I believe that ethnicity and race get confused with each other more than we think, and in that sense I have to disagree with you. Only because a lot of my friend group have Eastern European roots (there is a large Czech population in Texas) and they all have dark hair and dark eyes and none of them would ever say they experience any kind of prejudice against them for that in this country, because their skin is still white. There is a different kind of prejudice here than I see in Europe, which I believe does have more to do with where you are from rather than solely the color of your skin, but here I never see someone get put on blast if they have dark hair and dark eyes. I mean take Melania Trump, for example, she is an immigrant from Eastern Europe but she is considered the "right kind" of immigrant because she's white. No one seems to have a problem with her, but if an immigrant's skin is any darker than hers then holy shit there needs to be a ban or a wall or whatever else kind of racist thing they want to throw around.

Again, I'm probably not even the right person to talk on this subject. I recognize the privilege that comes with being white, blonde, and blue-eyed. But I also want to stick up for the POC in this country and we just do not see white people that even have dark hair treated anything like the way latinx, Muslim, and black people are treated. Although the Jewish population has been under attack again because of the rise of the alt-right but they've been targeting those with Jewish last names rather than what they look like.

Also, you're so right that I should never underestimate racism in ignorant people lol.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#50 sycasey 2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:21 PM

View PostHomeBodyMusic, on 12 May 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

The Wayne's World Song -

It immediately caught my attention early on in the movie when the song "Why You Wanna Break My Heart" was on in the background in the club (it plays again in the ending credits as well).

This song is featured prominently in the 90s classic Waynes World and I had no idea it was a cover song and not an original number from "Crucial Taunt".

Sure, Tia Carrere covered Ballroom Blitz when Wayne first meets Cassandra, but it seemed like "Why You Wanna Break my Heart" had been tailor made to fit the onscreen rift that was growing between Cassandra and Wayne.

I had no idea it was a cover song, from the Body Rock soundtrack of all places.

Quite the revelation...

Yes! This retroactively makes me question Cassandra's talent, as it turns out that all of the songs she performs in Wayne's World are covers:

"Fire" by Jimi Hendrix (this is actually what she plays when Wayne first sees her)
"Ballroom Blitz" by Sweet (the final performance in Wayne's basement that gets her the record deal . . . or burns down Wayne's house, depending on which ending you accept)

And this one too?! Did you actually write any songs of your own, Cassandra?

#51 gigitastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:50 PM

View PostBertramCooper, on 11 May 2018 - 07:37 AM, said:

Okay, something that jumped out RIGHT away:

In that opening musical number, the lyric "children of darkness" is paired with a shot of Magick, who is obviously a small black child.

I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and write it off as an oblivious editing choice, but the cuts to and from the shot of Magick are so precisely paired with that lyric that it definitely raised my eyebrows.

See for yourself (it's between the 35 and 40 second marks right at the beginning):

Oh no I fully was coming to comment about that. It's ... a lot even by 80's standards.

#52 gigitastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:59 PM

View PostRyan Sz, on 11 May 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

And apparently the collar popping is not a character choice but a way of the actor's life as apparently he still does this
Posted Image and this is just one of many shown on Google. Also with the talk about Lamas' dong size, I guess now I know why when I saw him at a comic convention a couple years ago he had a wheelbarrow under his table.

It's like midnight and my cat just woke up because i had such a visceral reaction to this image. I just said in such a strained voice it must sound like I found out something horrific happened to a beloved family member "Oh. Oh no. oh GOD NO. "
I was so distressed by this act of duchery I woke the cat up.

#53 gigitastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:35 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 13 May 2018 - 06:01 PM, said:

So I'll definitely clarify that I am the whitest of the white as well. For those that have seen photos of me, and have met me in person, know that I am blue eyed and blonde and actually got mistaken in Reykjavic as being a local (legit this guy tried to speak Icelandic to me and I was like oh no no no), so I'll be the first to say that I have absolutely no idea what it is truly like for people of color in this country. But I believe that ethnicity and race get confused with each other more than we think, and in that sense I have to disagree with you. Only because a lot of my friend group have Eastern European roots (there is a large Czech population in Texas) and they all have dark hair and dark eyes and none of them would ever say they experience any kind of prejudice against them for that in this country, because their skin is still white. There is a different kind of prejudice here than I see in Europe, which I believe does have more to do with where you are from rather than solely the color of your skin, but here I never see someone get put on blast if they have dark hair and dark eyes. I mean to take Melania Trump, for example, she is an immigrant from Eastern Europe but she is considered the "right kind" of immigrant because she's white. No one seems to have a problem with her, but if an immigrant's skin is any darker than hers then holy shit there needs to be a ban or a wall or whatever else kind of racist thing they want to throw around. Again, I'm probably not even the right person to talk on this subject. I recognize the privilege that comes with being white, blonde, and blue-eyed. But I also want to stick up for the POC in this country and we just do not see white people that even have dark hair treated anything like the way latinx, Muslim, and black people are treated. Although the Jewish population has been under attack again because of the rise of the alt-right but they've been targeting those with Jewish last names rather than what they look like.

From my understanding of things in Europe this is a thing. People who come from the "wrong" European countries like Greece, Romania, and a lot of Eastern European countries. Apparently in England there was a survey done in 2014 and 71% of the Polish migrants had suffered or knew someone who ha suffered some form of verbal or physical abuse or at the hands of someone British.

It's very complicated form of racism because they aren't seen as ... not white. They are white but it's more like in the 19th century America and the immense hated/ discrimination against Irish and Italian immigrants. They were seen as white and were probably treated better than a person of actual color but they were still seen as less than and looked down upon because of derogatory beliefs held about them based on their place of birth.

#54 gigitastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:40 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 11 May 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

I started watching the movie again and Chilly immediately ditches his friends at minute 42.

Everything I wrote about him being not selfish in the beginning of the movie goes down the drain 2 minutes after I called quits lol! But that just makes me ask... why? Was it really just the rush of working in this successful club? One minute he's telling his friends about how he told Terrence he's gonna get a DJ and a Rapper and the next he's just getting into a limo and ditching them. There's no signs of true motivation that he would have done that.

Dang this movie sucks.

Well doesn't his friend actually tell him to go with them? One of his friends says and I quote " You better check that shit out dude!" The rapper says it I.I couldn't remember a single name in this movie I was so overwhelmed by the bad fashion I could only take in their job descriptions . I'm still pissed they said one of them did magic and YET I SAW NO MAGIC. NOTHING NOT EVEN A QUARTER OUT OF AN EAR

#55 gigitastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:11 PM

Of course Folgers's is in this movie. Of course the coffee famous for an incest Christmas commercial would be in a movie where a brother is (not so ) low key clearly into his sister

#56 gigitastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:51 PM

Ok so the ONLY good transformation about Chilly (Chili?) is that during the sex scene with Shelia from A Chorus Line he's clearly had a FULL body wax. Gone is the sweater from the beginning in the movie. It's the only good thing he does in the whole film.

Also can we talk about how Chili is full on wearing women's clothes? The outfit he wears for the meeting with Terrence at the start when he's looking for a manager is a woman's blouse with the sleeves cut off that he's left unbuttoned, blue women's silk (some kind of a crepe fabric?) slacks and what looks like a woman's red belt.

His leather boots that look like leather studded Uggs which he wears when strutting down the street like an insane person high off his ass on coke look like women's shoes from the time.

There were a couple more but I'm half asleep right now

#57 FrancisRizzo3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:46 AM

View PostMisterDrX, on 11 May 2018 - 10:03 AM, said:

Did this try to be the Anti-Grease movie?

Several times in this episode, Paul compares the movie's vibe to that of Cocktail and Staying Alive. However, to me, when I first saw Chilly on screen it seemed to me he was mimicking Danny Z from Grease; from his walk/strut, the collar flipping (and eventual leather jacket), ...and in a few moments, poor attempts to be "Fonzy cool". I thought maybe it was just me, but shortly into the movie as he is trying to get into Lawrence's office, he says his name is Chilly D. and the secretary says "D? As in Sandra Dee?" !!!!

So, I believe that this movie was trying to the Anti-Grease, in which Chilly starts off as a seemingly nice guy (ie.."I can't do that" phone call) , but quickly turns into a horrible person for the entire rest of the movie, as his friends try to stick by his side. Danny Z. from Grease was a nice guy trying to put on a tough image, where Chilly is someone who everyone likes, despite being a complete asshole.

Continuing on the Grease theme, when Chilly D visits Darlene at work, she's wearing a letterman sweater, with a big D on it. I won't claim encyclopedic knowledge of '80s fashion, but I don't remember these being a thing.

Posted Image

#58 FrancisRizzo3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:01 AM

About 77 minutes in (a point it took a few tries to reach), are we supposed to accept that one of the dancer's phased through the grill of the boom box? The film hasn't attempted any artsy transitions to this point, but we see a dancer behind the boombox fade through to the front. Terrance has some serious FX budget.

#59 FrancisRizzo3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:16 AM

Interesting night club that allows a child like Magick in.

Though Chilly D has no discernible talent, he does have a super power: his incredible confidence despite it being completely undeserved. Can you imagine dropping your friends like a hot rock, not talking to them for a good while, then commandeering a stage and calling those same friends up to perform with you, without any pre-planning? If only the film ended with Chilly D calling out into the dark for his friends and being left along on the stage in a single, solitary spotlight, popping his collar one last time before a cut to black.

And what's up with Darlene just going back to Chilly D at the show, despite flipping on him at the hospital? What exactly changed in the meanwhile?

#60 hornacek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:47 AM

Maybe it was because I had just watched the movie a month ago, but I got a serious case of deja vu from the endings of Body Rock and Strictly Ballroom. Both movies end with the main character at a musical competition where the villain pulls the plug to turn off the music, but one character in the crowd starts slow clapping and the entire crowd joins in to build up a beat (in Ballroom the main characters continued dancing to this clapping).

Is it possible that Baz Lurhman saw Body Rock in the 80s and was such a fan that he incorporated its ending into his first movie 8 years later?