🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 188 - Body Rock: LIVE!

Alison Brie (Glow) joins Paul, June and Jason to discuss the 1984 film Body Rock starring Lorenzo Lamas. Recored live from Largo at the Coronet in Los Angeles, they talk about Chilly’s hairy chest, breakdancing, post shower roast beef, and breaking the fourth wall. Plus, June believes she can breakdance with no practice.

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepublic.com/user/howdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

You can see Jason, June, and Paul in The Disaster Artist.

Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. Paul can be seen on A Futile and Stupid Gesture, Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, Opening Night, and Veep. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Blockers, Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in The Good Place, The House, The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

I loved Alison Brie ... and how she referred to Claire as 'Sheila from Chorus Line' .. that's how I called her all the time.

• Like 1

Can we get a kickstarter going to have June attempting to break dance? Because I will pay at least three figures to watch this.

• Like 2

Finally someone mentioned that dancer snake is Rene Elizondo Jr, later to become Mr Janet Jackson and collaborator .. do you think he suggested the name Rhythm Nation, the name of the club to her.

• Like 2

I'm with June Break Dancing: MEH! worked up I could do that. "Just because something is difficult doesn't mean that it's good"

• Like 3

Did anyone think Chilly's post sex strutting was a precursor to Joseph Gordon Levitt's walk from (500) Days Of Summer?

• Like 1

Did anyone think Chilly's post sex strutting was a precursor to Joseph Gordon Levitt's walk from (500) Days Of Summer?

It's where my mind initially went. I really do hope that an oscar award winning movie drew influence from Body Rock. Was anyone able to pick up what he says to the camera on the last line of the scene?

• Like 1

I made it through 40 minutes of this movie before giving up and falling asleep cause I was so uninterested in the way the rest of this movie went. My only two notes were, "I feel bad for the clearly unpaid extras in this movie," and "Well it's nice that everyone supports each other. Theo and his crew go to see his brother dance every time and get so excited they break their glasses. That's the kinda support kids need."

(Haven't listened to the episode so I'm not trying to take credit for anything spotted if these were mentioned already, just really wanted to get out my literal only two notes lol.)

• Like 3

Does the show not feed into iTunes anymore? I found this week and the minisode on Stitcher but I usually listen on my iPad and it's now showing up?

• Like 1

Does the show not feed into iTunes anymore? I found this week and the minisode on Stitcher but I usually listen on my iPad and it's now showing up?

I don't have Stitcher and it popped up on my Podcast app so I assume that means it showed up on iTunes.

• Like 1

I thought it was his attempt at John Travolta in Brooklyn Saturday Night Fever

• Like 2

Okay, something that jumped out RIGHT away:

In that opening musical number, the lyric "children of darkness" is paired with a shot of Magick, who is obviously a small black child.

I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and write it off as an oblivious editing choice, but the cuts to and from the shot of Magick are so precisely paired with that lyric that it definitely raised my eyebrows.

See for yourself (it's between the 35 and 40 second marks right at the beginning):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdvRr5lIUGA&t=0m35s

• Like 2

I don’t think they mentioned this (maybe I missed it) but one of my favorite things about Body Rock was that the songs had extremely literal lyrics that matched the subtext to every scene. Just amazing when you notice and it’s almost every song.

• Like 3

Okay now that I've finished the episode I'm actually really happy I ended up not finishing this movie because Chilly was already unbearable in the first 40 so I can't even imagine what the hell he would be like in the last bit.

But, to be honest, despite how unbearable he was I never got the sense that he was really that selfish in the beginning? I mean sure he was overly cocky for someone that had zero skills, but he 100% knew that his friends were more talented than him and had this entire plan for all of them to make it as stars rather than just himself. When Terrence tells him that he's the only one they want (again not sure why unless it's just because he's the talker and therefore kinda the front man) Chilly immediately says no and that he can't do it without the group. To me that's a pretty standup move and he never once even hides the fact that he was the only one picked from anyone else. It's Easy that tells him to go in and start pulling the rest of them in, and the last thing I saw before I gave up was that he did in fact pull Magick in so at first he was keeping his word. Obviously from what I heard on the podcast after I decided to stop he turns on his friends and girlfriend and becomes a huge dick, but I'm not sure if we really do see that at the beginning of the movie.

But honestly I'm surprised they didn't talk more about Theo, Easy, and Darlene. Because the bits that I saw showed some real actual fully formed characters there. Theo and his group didn't talk much, but I loved this idea that this "gang" member (just using the term thrown out about him not trying to assume) would go to this VERY white club and support his little brother's dream, and seemingly everyone there respected the shit out of Theo and gave him the best spot to sit. I need to know more about him! Was he ever hesitant to let his little brother hang out with a bunch of lame white dudes? Did he ever fight with any of them until they all gained each other's respect? That's the movie we should be watching! As well as the story of Easy and Darlene's family! In the beginning Easy mentions getting kicked out by his dad because of his inability to hold a job (I think I heard that right) and when they're at their home Easy looks extremely uncomfortable and says he needs to fall asleep before their parents get home. What the fuck is going on in that house that Easy has to hide the fact that he's even there? Darlene obviously supports him, which again is exactly what siblings need from each other, but she never mentions what their parents are like or whether or not she has a good relationship with them.

I know they mentioned that literally everything about Chilly would make him the sidekick or the villain but they didn't mention these two story lines that are there and then seemingly dropped.

But if any of this gets explained after the 40 min mark let me know cause I am genuinely interested.

• Like 4

I don't have Stitcher and it popped up on my Podcast app so I assume that means it showed up on iTunes.

Still not showing up in my podcast app. Maybe it's just me.

My life is hard, guys.

Can we get a kickstarter going to have June attempting to break dance? Because I will pay at least three figures to watch this.

I think June and Jason's breakdance-off should be a pay-per-view event.

• Like 5

Did this try to be the Anti-Grease movie?

Several times in this episode, Paul compares the movie's vibe to that of Cocktail and Staying Alive. However, to me, when I first saw Chilly on screen it seemed to me he was mimicking Danny Z from Grease; from his walk/strut, the collar flipping (and eventual leather jacket), ...and in a few moments, poor attempts to be "Fonzy cool". I thought maybe it was just me, but shortly into the movie as he is trying to get into Lawrence's office, he says his name is Chilly D. and the secretary says "D? As in Sandra Dee?" !!!!

So, I believe that this movie was trying to the Anti-Grease, in which Chilly starts off as a seemingly nice guy (ie.."I can't do that" phone call) , but quickly turns into a horrible person for the entire rest of the movie, as his friends try to stick by his side. Danny Z. from Grease was a nice guy trying to put on a tough image, where Chilly is someone who everyone likes, despite being a complete asshole.

• Like 5

I was shocked that a movie about dancing and children and being true to your crew contained so much cursing that at one point they had to ADR over a few scenes to edit the profanity out. I first thought this movie was going to be closer to RAD! than Saturday Night Fever, but it seems like they were really going for something more adult.

• Like 3

Did this try to be the Anti-Grease movie?

Several times in this episode, Paul compares the movie's vibe to that of Cocktail and Staying Alive. However, to me, when I first saw Chilly on screen it seemed to me he was mimicking Danny Z from Grease; from his walk/strut, the collar flipping (and eventual leather jacket), ...and in a few moments, poor attempts to be "Fonzy cool". I thought maybe it was just me, but shortly into the movie as he is trying to get into Lawrence's office, he says his name is Chilly D. and the secretary says "D? As in Sandra Dee?" !!!!

I caught the "Sandra Dee" line, too!

[audible groan]

• Like 4

Still not showing up in my podcast app. Maybe it's just me.

My life is hard, guys.

I wish I was more technologically inclined and I could actually help you lol. Cause if that's the only show on your feed not properly refreshing that sounds like some kind of internal mess up rather than something on your end, ya know? But that doesn't explain why I can still get it then.

Shit's weird.

Try deleting it from iTunes and re-subscribing. If you've been listening for a long time, you may still be subscribed to the very old Feedburner RSS feed which was recently deleted.

• Like 2

Tried watching the movie. But instead, listened to Opie and Anthony clips about their security guard, 'Master Po' talking about his exercise programme, also called "Body Rock"

FIVE STARS!!

• Like 3

When the guy says "I want to be like Muhammad Ali.. but in his prime!" I think it was supposed to be an ill thought out metaphor.

As we all know, when Ali was in his prime, he transcended the world of boxing, he became a civil rights leader, he was doing appearances on chat shows, Pro Wrestling, and anything else he wanted to do. He was not only the best fighter in the world, he was perhaps the most famous person in the world.

So, perhaps this shit-pie was saying "I want to be so good in my chosen field, I become the biggest thing in the world." Why he felt the need to put his fist up, I don't know. I'm just chalking it up to him being a shit-pie with an extroverted nipple game.

More importantly, him saying "...but in his prime!" is such a dickish thing to say about one of the most important people in history, the man's fight with George Foreman was watched by ONE BILLION PEOPLE!

But think of it this way, this movie came out in 1984, so it was probably being filmed in 1983, so I would hazard a guess that this was written in 1982, Muhammad Ali had only just retired the previous year. To put that into perspective, he had his first fight in 1960, he had SIXTY-ONE fights in his career and went 56-5, and his last three losses came to:

Leon Spinks - Olympic Gold Medallist, who Ali beat in the rematch

Larry Holmes - He was in the middle of a 48 fight win streak, that's one less than Rocky Marciano, and became undisputed World Heavyweight Champion, and went on amass a 69-6 record

Trevor Berbick - Went on to become a Heavyweight Champion.

Muhammad Ali's "Prime" lasted from 1960 to 1980 over the course of almost 60 fights, and you're acting like Muhammad Ali has embarrassed himself and became a joke?! You arrogant prick, fuck you "Chilly" and whoever wrote your shit-pie dialogue.

• Like 4

I've actually annoyed myself with that rant, so I'm posting this to cheer myself up...

giphy.gif

• Like 3